Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-09-2021, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
”Asian and afraid”: the more I think about this the more I think mentioning it it in your GC is a bad idea. Even if it is a legitimate risk and fear, AV would run a huge risk of being accused of having “racial preference” for arming Asians (or on the flip side “racial discrimination” against arming... non Asians) based upon “racist stereotypes.”

Group identity risks might work for disproportionately victimized groups Leftists deem Politically Correct (e.g., sexual minorities), but not for Asians (or whites).

Hopefully the justices Trump put on SCOTUS will enable us to finally win a “Right to Bear Arms” that “shall not be infringed.”
My thought process was with you on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinhTran1 View Post
Updated on time line
3/19 mail
4/08 they just cashed the check

Now waiting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2021, 8:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone that has done their livescan, how long did the firearms portion take? My FBI and CA DOJ are done with firearms still pending.

Old 04-09-2021, 8:55 AM

Quick Q. A friend of mine ask. So if they rejected his GC. Can be reapply right away? Or are there a time period you gotta wait ? I mean regardless you still have to paid the $30

Old 04-09-2021, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinhTran1 View Post
Quick Q. A friend of mine ask. So if they rejected his GC. Can be reapply right away? Or are there a time period you gotta wait ? I mean regardless you still have to paid the $30

It depends on the reason for rejection...Paladin just posted this a few posts back.

Quote:
#3 I think a LOT of people blew off when the map showed Yellow and didn’t start preparing their applications for when it turned green. They’re caught with their pants down. They don’t have evidence sufficient to prove their Recreational GCs. Two words of advice: don’t lie. Don’t even try to bend the truth. Cops deal with liars ALL the time. Lying on the application is, IIRC, a crime. Getting caught bending the truth turns the cop from neutral to wonder what else are you twisting. Your GMC will be shot for years.

So what do I advise if you didn’t start getting prepared months ago? Start now. Join that shooting club. Get back to regular shooting. You want to be competent when you start carrying, right? Foster those relationships with a view towards letters of reference. Get back into hiking. The fresh air and exercise will do your mind, body and spirit good. Do some regular volunteer work: helping others helps yourself. Give it 4 to 6 months to build up a track record."
Immediately reapplying probably isn't the best idea. If my application was rejected, I would start working on strengthening it first before reapplying.

Last edited by dazz397; 04-09-2021 at 9:16 AM..
Old 04-09-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz397 View Post
It depends on the reason for rejection...Paladin just posted this a few posts back.

Immediately reapplying probably isn't the best idea. If my application was rejected, I would start working on strengthening it first before reapplying.

Thanks

Old 04-09-2021, 11:16 AM

Curious what is the difference between a live scan and what is normally conducted with a 4473? Also anyone with experience with a sig 320 that can change calibers and sizes? Could I list caliber as multi?

Last edited by Hsu; 04-09-2021 at 11:33 AM..
Old 04-09-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsu View Post
Curious what is the difference between a live scan and what is normally conducted with a 4473? Also anyone with experience with a sig 320 that can change calibers and sizes? Could I list caliber as multi?
I believe a 4473 just checks the NICS database for firearms restrictions and does not require fingerprints. The livescan does a background check for arrests, convictions, and incarcerations which can cause you to fail the good moral character portion of the CCW. Livescan can also be used to alert the LASD with subsequent arrest notifications but I am not sure if they request that service from the DOJ or not.

For the caliber, I think you have to qualify with both calibers and it will take up 2 of the 3 spaces on your CCW permit.

Last edited by dazz397; 04-09-2021 at 11:53 AM..
Old 04-09-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
"Live Scan" is a fingerprinting that references FBI criminal database (and other state databases) to establish your identity and that you are who you claim you are, and also as a form of background check. You do it for when you apply for a COE for example, or for work related things that may require a background check. Fees for live scans generally range around $80-100 depending on who does it.
Additionally, it sets up a notification system for the requesting agency to be notified if you become ineligible for the requested background items.
Old 04-09-2021, 3:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation Where’d the prior denial by city PD requirement go???

Is Sheriff Villanueva improving the CCW application process yet again?!!

I was over at the LASD’s CCW webpage and can no longer find any requirement or even mention of requiring a prior denial from an incorporated city’s PD (where LASD does not provide police services). See: https://lasd.org/ccw/

I did find it still on their CCW policy.pdf (last paragraph):
https://lasd.org/wp-content/uploads/...icy_072320.pdf

If Villanueva has/is/will drop that requirement that will be a major streamlining for lots of applicants saving them significant time, money and effort.

I suggest people who are preparing CCW applications for LAPD or other LA Co city PDs contact LASD to see if they still have to go through the process with their PD before applying to LASD. Be sure to post here to let the rest of us know what you find out.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-11-2021 at 6:15 AM..
Old 04-09-2021, 3:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

ALL you LA Co people who get issued should send thank you cards to Sheriff Villanueva and then volunteer time and donate money for his re-election next year.

Put up yards signs, put on a bumper sticker and vote for him. Encourage family, friends, church friends and shooting buddies to do the same. ETA: and encourage them to apply for CCW if they’re so inclined.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-09-2021 at 3:41 PM..
Old 04-09-2021, 3:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Is Sheriff Villanueva improving the CCW application process yet again?!!

I was over at the LASD’s CCW webpage and can no longer find any requirement or even mention of requiring a prior denial from an incorporated city’s PD (where LASD does not provide police services). See: https://lasd.org/ccw/

I did find it still on their CCW policy.pdf (last paragraph):

If Villanueva has/is/will drop that requirement that will be a major streamlining for lots of applicants saving them significant time, money and effort.

I suggest people who are preparing CCW applications for LAPD or other PDs contact LASD to see if they still have to go through the process with their PD before applying to LASD.
That's good. I don't read this thread all the time (San Bernardino Co), has LA gone light green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 04-09-2021, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
That's good. I don't read this thread all the time (San Bernardino Co), has LA gone light green?
Based on a few anecdotal posts, yes.

More need to apply to ensure it stays light green (or may be moved back to yellow).

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH Instructor
Old 04-09-2021, 3:54 PM

I was on the phone with LASD about 3 weeks ago regarding my address/ do I need to apply with LAPD first and the answer was yes. How recent is this ?
I have an LAPD interview for 4/19

Old 04-09-2021, 3:56 PM

Quote:
ALL you LA Co people who get issued should send thank you cards to Sheriff Villanueva and then volunteer time and donate money for his re-election next year.

Put up yards signs, put on a bumper sticker and vote for him. Encourage family, friends, church friends and shooting buddies to do the same. ETA: and encourage them to apply for CCW if they’re so inclined.
This is excellent advice. I've sent a card to him and will get a bumper sticker for when he's up for re-election.
Old 04-09-2021, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo818 View Post
I was on the phone with LASD about 3 weeks ago regarding my address/ do I need to apply with LAPD first and the answer was yes. How recent is this ?
I have an LAPD interview for 4/19

Wow. I called LAPD in the beginning of March and got a June date for the interview. Didn’t think much of it, and it’s maybe for the best since we should have some action from AV come July. But wow, these dates are really arbitrary.
Old 04-09-2021, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsermdr View Post
Wow. I called LAPD in the beginning of March and got a June date for the interview. Didn’t think much of it, and it’s maybe for the best since we should have some action from AV come July. But wow, these dates are really arbitrary.

I should say I made the appointment early February. I believe they only do interviews on Mondays, hence the long wait to get an appointment.

Old 04-09-2021, 6:31 PM

1st post on calguns! hello all! recently came across the Reno may utube video and decided its finally time to give it a go. will be prepping my app this weekend. hope to have it in mail/dropped off by next Friday. will keep y'all updated. big thanks to paladin and ccw facts for your time and efforts! its greatly appreciated!
Old 04-09-2021, 7:19 PM

Are all appointments in person or a mix of phone and in person?

Old 04-09-2021, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWB View Post
Are all appointments in person or a mix of phone and in person?

If you are asking about LAPD they are all in person. You call for appointment and bring in application with you. If LASD, you need to send in application and they will call you in for appointment.
Old 04-09-2021, 8:08 PM

Quote:
I should say I made the appointment early February. I believe they only do interviews on Mondays, hence the long wait to get an appointment.

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. That lines up better, because the officer I spoke with really seemed overwhelmed with all of the new appointments when I called.

It’s definitely worth it to reach out to the Sheriffs office and see if something did in fact change. I would assume there would have to be some sort of legal notice and more then text missing from the CCW application page, but it would definitely make things easier on all of us living in LAPD jurisdictions.

If someone gets around to clarifying this before me, please post. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2021, 8:13 PM

Quote:

I’m not sure if this has been posted or not.

But where would we send the card to and donate to?

I want to do both as my token of appreciation.

Last edited by RobertCx; 04-09-2021 at 8:34 PM..
Old 04-09-2021, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I might only consider that if he actually does approve my CCW and commits to a position to expanding CCW further and renewing permits when the time comes.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:15 PM

Hey, guys. Been a member on here for awhile, but barely got verified. Anyways, a coworker & I went to Hall of Justice earlier this week attempting to drop off his application. I'm still working on mine.

We were stopped immediately at the door by the sheriff. An employee said she works with the CCW office took my coworker's application along with his check. They didn't sign the application in front of him as a witness per the application. Just took it. Hopefully, it goes well.

He said it was okay to share this info.
Old 04-10-2021, 8:19 AM

Default RDS, slide modification, listed ccw guns

Friend was interviewed last week and was asked by deputy if there is any more guns he wanted to add besides the three on his application. He was also asked if his wife wanted to apply or friends. Right after the interview he was given a list of livescan providers. Deputy also said he needs to train with LASD approved trainers. He has yellow GC(work related)
When I had training, i had two modified slides with RDS and it was approved. I have been a competitive shooter for 20 years and due to aging eyes had to transition to RDS. BTW Atty Branca a well known defense Atty. carries a pistol with RDS. I train, dry fire regularly and ease of acquisition of sights and RDS are almost no different but RDS are faster and more accurate from about 15 yards and beyond. Sorry just had to say this. I am waiting for a call to pick up permit. Its been two weeks since I submitted training paperwork.

Last edited by Tacticalgamer; 04-11-2021 at 10:42 AM..
Old 04-10-2021, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCx View Post

Be careful. You don't want it to look like payment for services rendered (CCW). Just donate to his reelection campaign.
Old 04-10-2021, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacticalgamer View Post
Friend was interviewed last week and was asked by deputy if there is any more guns he wanted to add besides the three on his application. He was also asked if his wife wanted to apply or friends. Right after the interview he was given a list of livescan providers. Deputy also said he needs to train with LASD approved trainers. He has yellow GC(work related)
When I had training, i had two modified slides with RDS and it was approved. I have been a competitive shooter for 20 years and due to aging eyes had to transition to RDS. BTW Atty Branca a well known defense Atty. carries a pistol with RDS. I train, dry fire regularly and ease of acquisition of sights and RDS are almost no different but RDS are faster and more accurate from about 15 yards and beyond. Sorry just had to say this. I am waiting for a call to pick up permit. Its been two weeks since I submitted training paperwork.
Interesting. Curious if they asked if his wife or friends wanted to apply because they may have similar GC or if they are insisting that it is fairly much easier to obtain one, hence they are trying to encourage more to apply?

May I ask what color your GC is? Hoping to hear from light green GC applicants soon.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this process and thank you Paladin & CCWFacts for assisting us LA Co residents. Exciting times.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCx View Post

Card to his SO address.

Donations to his campaign. Dittos for campaign materials. Look for a website. I would expect one to be online sometime before 2022 March.

ETA:
https://web.archive.org/web/20181121...illanueva.org/

His 2018 campaign also had a FB page

Last edited by Paladin; 04-10-2021 at 11:35 AM..
Old 04-10-2021, 10:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacticalgamer View Post
He was also asked if his wife wanted to apply or friends.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
I might only consider that if he actually does approve my CCW and commits to a position to expanding CCW further and renewing permits when the time comes.
This is a perfect example of why CA is in the shape it is....

Im sorely tempted to say more but instead will only say you’ve been added to my Ignore list.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This is a perfect example of why CA is in the shape it is....

Im sorely tempted to say more but instead will only say you’ve been added to my Ignore list.
If Villanueva is sincere in his decision to expand CCW then he should be rewarded with support from the community. Even better, if he expands CCW to be much more widespread like in SB and OC counties, then that would demonstrate that he deserves support from the pro-2A community.
Old 04-10-2021, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Folks, if you are afraid of applying now with only Light Green GC you should ask yourself if you could really shoot a BG doing evil deeds. I mean, seriously, all you’re risking is $30 for a GC determination and the possibility of a GC denial (which has no effect on future applications).

ETA: Are you going to wait until George Floyd riots or Arbery riots start up again and people are getting pulled out of their cars and beat up? Too late to apply then. Don’t be the next Reginald Denny!
Also don't risk being Ahmaud Arbery himself, who was chased down and executed because of his race ?
Old 04-11-2021, 8:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangofett View Post
Anyways, as someone who is in LA Co and going to begin this journey I'm trying to get a couple things straight. So depending on if my city resides in LAPD jurisdiction or not I could potentially bypass that and go straight to LASD? If not I'd have to go through LAPD process with great chance of denial, then proceed with LASD?

In trying to figure out my GC statement I've narrowed down to a couple quite a few options.
  • I rent out rooms to 2 tenants of my house both of which I found through Craigslist. I handle lump sums of cash to multiple banks anywhere between $1k-$2k at a time.
  • I'm an avid runner, hiker, and backpacker. Many times of which I do at night. While I haven't documented this, I have found 9 and .45 casings on the bike path that I frequently run. Just to give a little location I frequent a park and there is a huge homeless community that surrounds the park that always seems suspect. I'm often times backpacking in remote areas in Angeles National Forest or Joshua Tree where there is no cell reception until you get into a town.
  • I'm an amateur photographer who carries $2k-$3k worth of photo equipment and about $1k of backpacking gear while doing said activity
  • I'm also a fairly good golfer who carries $1k-$2k worth of gear for hours at the same park mentioned above
  • I suppose the obvious of transporting firearms to the shooting range
You may no longer be required to get a prior denial from your city PD before applying with LASD. We’re not sure yet, but hope someone will find out and post about it this coming week.

Your GCs look good. Don’t forget evidence sufficient to prove every claim you make.
Old 04-11-2021, 9:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Daze View Post
Actually I spend way TOO much time reading here and the search functions leave a lot to be desired. I had already investigated this on the LASD side:

https://lasd.org/ccw/#ccw_qual

Reside in Los Angeles County or a city within the County. If the applicant is not a resident of an area served by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the applicant MUST apply for a Carry a Concealed Weapon license with their respective police agency. Only when a “denial letter” is issued, LASD will process the current application. If the applicant is active military, duty station orders indicating assignment within California (LA County) should be provided.

Maybe we can get LAPD to sign a MOU with LASD!
That post was made in the evening of March 31st, so sometime between then and Friday, April 9th, is when the PD denial requirement went missing on LASD’s CCW webpage (other than Policy .pdf). I hope that’s a real change and not an IT slip up.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
That post was made in the evening of March 31st, so sometime between then and Friday, April 9th, is when the PD denial requirement went missing on LASD’s CCW webpage (other than Policy .pdf). I hope that’s a real change and not an IT slip up.
I went back to the webpage, followed the instruction links and found this:

So it appears that LAPD remains the first step for those who live in an incorporated city without an MOU or if you live in LAPD jurisdiction.

Last edited by recoil; 04-11-2021 at 11:10 AM..
Old 04-11-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Just tried calling the number listed on the page to inquire about this, but navigating to the CCW information over the phone only yielded a repeating message of the LASD policy being read aloud.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil View Post
I went back to the webpage, followed the instruction links and found this:

So it appears that LAPD remains the first step for those who live in an incorporated city without an MOU or if you live in LAPD jurisdiction.
If you read my post you quoted you will see I said the requirement is still in the .pdf of the policy. But if you go back to the quote I made of Baja Daze post, the main paragraph in the middle is a quote of the old LASD PD denial requirement. That is no longer to be found under the Qualifications section he linked or anywhere else.

People should contact LASD and/or their own PD to confirm a PD denial letter is still required. Trust me.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-11-2021 at 12:05 PM..
Old 04-11-2021, 3:52 PM

I finally got through to the desk sergeant at LAPD Central. He told me that as far as he knew, nothing has changed, but he wasn't absolutely certain. Only that no memo has circulated regarding a policy change. I don't think this information can be relied upon. Probably better to speak with the CCW unit at LASD.
Old 04-11-2021, 4:57 PM

Getting a CCW from LAPD is impossible. In fact, I don't remember anyone getting a CCW from LAPD since I was a probationer @ LAPD back in the early '90s.
Old 04-11-2021, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Have any of you with questions regarding jurisdiction contacted LASD directly yet? Unless anyone answering here can speak officially for the CCW unit, it will be speculation. Contact them and get a definitive answer.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee