Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-11-2019, 7:18 PM

Default Piston ar15, and ar10 info wanted

Does anybody have some real life information on piston upper conversion kits for 556 builds? I have a 14.7 mid length fn chf barreled upper that I am thinking about making a piston, is it really that much better? And my ar10 question is, I am looking to make a big brother to my 556, I want a 14.5 308 barrel with 1/9 or maybe faster twist and a mid length gas system to alleviate some of that harsh recoil that shorter gas systems produce. anyone know where I can get real quality barrels in that shorter length or a complete 308 upper in that length would be cool. Thanks guys
Old 06-11-2019, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes, piston conversions suck. Stay away.
Old 06-11-2019, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

Some years ago I studied different kits and looked at Osprey and passed. The next I looked at was Adams Arms. They only made a carbine kit and a pistol kit at that time. I have installed 7 of them. 3 are mine.

I re-worked 3 for some guys I shoot with. The last one I did was an AA mid-length kit on newly assembled uppers. We all have Stoner's DI systems already.

All of the pistol barrel kits to carbines and mid- length are all still in service. The m-l has a FN chrome lined 16" barrel from PSA and that is a good barrel.

I shoot with some guys I've known for a long time in NV that have NFA papered rifles and they share trigger time on their gear with me when we drive out into the the desert. My ammo/uppers/buffers and flick the giggle switch until my ammo and theirs is gone. We always enjoy that.

None of the gas block movement or other parts breakage has given problems on any of them.

Sum piston strap on kits may suck. Mine don't. I don't log round counts so don't ask. They just work. Even the FA fire hasn't made them choke yet.

Quality parts and proper assembly by someone with good mechanical knowledge should find similar success.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-11-2019, 9:30 PM
Veteran Member

AA has shut down/liquidated, so while there might be some good sales, spare parts availability down the road is iffy. I don't know if there's another conversion mfg. Complete piston uppers, yeah there's still a few mfgs.

To satisfy my piston curiosity, I got a T91 complete upper as an impulse buy. It works. It runs a bit cleaner than a DI AR, but nowhere near as clean as a Tavor, for example.
Old 06-11-2019, 9:47 PM

Piston conversion kits are a bit of a hit or miss depending on manufacturer. Adams arms did make pretty good conversion kits, but their future is not looking good. I highly recommend just going for a complete piston upper such as PWS, LWRC, or POF.

As for the 308 AR. You'll find it difficult to find a midlength 14.5" 308 barrel. The most common barrels lengths for 308 ARs are 12.5, 16, 18, and 20.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1546 View Post
Does anybody have some real life information on piston upper conversion kits for 556 builds? I have a 14.7 mid length fn chf barreled upper that I am thinking about making a piston, is it really that much better? And my ar10 question is, I am looking to make a big brother to my 556, I want a 14.5 308 barrel with 1/9 or maybe faster twist and a mid length gas system to alleviate some of that harsh recoil that shorter gas systems produce. anyone know where I can get real quality barrels in that shorter length or a complete 308 upper in that length would be cool. Thanks guys
A piston conversion reduces the accuracy and makes the rifle cycle harder and recoil more abruptly than the same length DI (standard gas tube) would.
Due to there not being any standard design, each design made by each manufacturer is a one-off design and future parts availability hedges on the manufacturer staying in business and continuing to support the system.
Parts availability has not been reliable for many of the systems sold over the years as they get discontinued without further support and companies close down.

Most gas piston AR's can be improved upon by removal of the piston system and replacement with a gas block and gas tube and standard bolt carrier.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 06-11-2019, 11:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by instaramen View Post
As for the 308 AR. You'll find it difficult to find a midlength 14.5" 308 barrel.
The most common barrels lengths for 308 ARs are 12.5, 16, 18, and 20.
I have shortened LOTS of 16" barrels to 14.5" or other custom lengths between 13" and 14" as required to reach a 16" finish length after I perm attached the muzzle device.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 06-12-2019, 5:42 AM
Veteran Member

Full disclosure.
Adams Arms LLC is now Adams Arms Holdings.
Still selling, developing, producing etc..

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --