Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2019, 5:17 PM

Default Registered BBAW modification

TL;DR: Is an AK's mag catch lock part of the release mechanism?

I've got a question about the lawful application of the bullet button regs passed in 2017. According to 11 CCR 5477 section (a),

The release mechanism for an ammunition feeding device on an assault weapon (...) shall not be changed after the assault weapon is registered.

Possibly reading between the lines, but there's nothing prohibiting changing the effectiveness of the bullet button locks. If I slide my AK mag catch lock rearward, the magazine catch is then exposed, while still having the mag catch lock still attached to the trigger guard and part of the weapon. The magazine catch itself (logically) is the release mechanism. Unlike typical AR bullet button release mechanisms where the mag catch and the mag lock are usually integrated to act as one piece, The AK's bullet button lock is simply a "shroud" that partially encircles the mag catch that prevents the bearer to release the magazine without using a tool, typically a bullet.

Your thoughts?
Old 05-24-2019, 6:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This topic is about case law.

Care to be the person arrested and then involved in a multi year lawsuit

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 05-26-2019, 10:40 PM
retired Goon

See post #2, if you alter it.

Per CA DOJ, any alteration of the "bullet button" style magazine lock is prohibited. [11 CCR 5477(a)]
^ Only exemptions to that is to repair/replace it [11 CCR 5477(b)] or for removal as part of the deregistration process [11 CCR 5477(c)].

California Code of Regulations Title 11 Division 5 Chapter 39 Article 3 Section 5477
Post-Registration Modification of Registered Assault Weapons, Prohibition.
(a) The release mechanism for an ammunition feeding device on an assault weapon registered pursuant to Penal Code section 30900, subdivision (b)(1) shall not be changed after the assault weapon is registered. A weapon's eligibility for registration pursuant to Penal Code section 30900, subdivision (b)(1) depends, in part, on its release mechanism. Any alteration to the release mechanism converts the assault weapon into a different weapon from the one that was registered.
(b) The prohibition in subdivision (a) does not extend to the repair or like-kind replacement of the mechanism.
(c) This prohibition in subdivision (a) does not extend to a firearm that is undergoing the deregistration process pursuant to section 5478. Written confirmation from the Department that acknowledges the owner's intent to deregister his or her assault weapon pursuant to section 5478 shall be proof the deregistration process has been initiated.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-16-2019, 6:25 AM

what about something like a registered sr-30 lower or the rainier arms lower that has a mag release on the left side? what if it was registered with the left side mag release removed? would reinstalling it be considered an alteration? the original mag catch and bullet button were never touched

I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me
Old 06-16-2019, 9:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shin_en View Post
what about something like a registered sr-30 lower or the rainier arms lower that has a mag release on the left side? what if it was registered with the left side mag release removed? would reinstalling it be considered an alteration? the original mag catch and bullet button were never touched

A “release mechanism” is loosely defined and easy for the DOJ or a prosecutor to craft an explanation why your suggestion is not acceptable. For instance, the mechanism by which the release occurs before you add that part is the bullet button, but after the mechanism that releases it is the left side latch pushing against the bullet button, not the bullet button anymore.

Flimsy? Maybe. Your call as to the risk.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 06-16-2019, 8:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Another question along the same line...

If my Sig MPX was registered with an AR Raddlock leaving an unsightly gap above and below the locked mag release, and I would like to replace it with an MPX-specific Raddlock just for aesthetics sake, would that be risky?

BTW, this is just a hypothetical question. In actuality, I did replace it before the deadline and submitted pics to CFARS with an MPX-specific Raddlock in place.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 06-16-2019, 8:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Registered BBAW modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post

If my Sig MPX was registered with an AR Raddlock leaving an unsightly gap above and below the locked mag release, and I would like to replace it with an MPX-specific Raddlock just for aesthetics sake, would that be risky?

BTW, this is just a hypothetical question. In actuality, I did replace it before the deadline and submitted pics to CFARS with an MPX-specific Raddlock in place.

As that (release mechanism) would be mechanically identical (despite not identical portions) it would be very difficult to argue the mechanism had changed. It is stated as allowable to replace with identical parts already.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 06-17-2019, 1:00 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post

As that (release mechanism) would be mechanically identical (despite not identical portions) it would be very difficult to argue the mechanism had changed. It is stated as allowable to replace with identical parts already.
California Code of Regulations Title 11 Division 5 Chapter 39 Article 3 Section 5477
Post-Registration Modification of Registered Assault Weapons, Prohibition.
(a) The release mechanism for an ammunition feeding device on an assault weapon registered pursuant to Penal Code section 30900, subdivision (b)(1) shall not be changed after the assault weapon is registered. A weapon's eligibility for registration pursuant to Penal Code section 30900, subdivision (b)(1) depends, in part, on its release mechanism. Any alteration to the release mechanism converts the assault weapon into a different weapon from the one that was registered.
(b) The prohibition in subdivision (a) does not extend to the repair or like-kind replacement of the mechanism.
(c) This prohibition in subdivision (a) does not extend to a firearm that is undergoing the deregistration process pursuant to section 5478. Written confirmation from the Department that acknowledges the owner's intent to deregister his or her assault weapon pursuant to section 5478 shall be proof the deregistration process has been initiated.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-19-2019, 5:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by shin_en View Post
Can you now release the magazine in a manner which didn't exist prior to registration? If so, one could fairly easily argue that the release mechanism has been altered, because you can now release the magazine in a way not inherent to the weapon when registered.
Old 06-19-2019, 5:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riezing View Post
TL;DR: Is an AK's mag catch lock part of the release mechanism?

I've got a question about the lawful application of the bullet button regs passed in 2017. According to 11 CCR 5477 section (a),

The release mechanism for an ammunition feeding device on an assault weapon (...) shall not be changed after the assault weapon is registered.

Possibly reading between the lines, but there's nothing prohibiting changing the effectiveness of the bullet button locks. If I slide my AK mag catch lock rearward, the magazine catch is then exposed, while still having the mag catch lock still attached to the trigger guard and part of the weapon. The magazine catch itself (logically) is the release mechanism. Unlike typical AR bullet button release mechanisms where the mag catch and the mag lock are usually integrated to act as one piece, The AK's bullet button lock is simply a "shroud" that partially encircles the mag catch that prevents the bearer to release the magazine without using a tool, typically a bullet.

Your thoughts?
If what you propose removes the requirement to use a tool to release the magazine, then it would seem that you've modified the magazine release mechanism, as you can now release the magazine in a way not available when the weapon was registered.