Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-01-2019, 2:11 PM

Default Post 9/11 GI Bill vesting question

Can anyone here validate for me how the number of months counted toward the vesting for the Post 9/11 GI Bill are calculated?

I can read my DD214 well enough, but is the DD214 the source of record used to calculate the months vested for the education benefits?

Basically, I'm at 34 months and 2 days if my 214 is the source of record :-(

I guess what I'm getting at is am I going to have to provide the orders that comprise the Active Duty days that are on my 214?

Last edited by Snoopy47; 05-01-2019 at 2:17 PM..
Old 05-01-2019, 3:03 PM

Maybe a seasoned 42A on here can shed some light, but the best I've heard is to literally apply to the VA for the benefit and see what they tell you. Perhaps that's missing the point though: if you have orders showing active duty time greater than what's on your 214 (and that's not at all uncommon), have your 214 corrected. I'm coming at this one more from correcting an RPAS statement, and while it's easy to be missing orders, usually you can order all (like ALL) of your LES from DFAS and that could be used by your S1 to pull historic orders. Hope that helps.
Old 05-01-2019, 4:13 PM

That helps. It validates how far I thought I might have to go to get the answer I wanted.

I was hoping the knowledge of exactly what data the VA uses to calculate vesting was public knowledge. I've already sifted through the VA web sight and understand what counts in terms of orders (Title 10), but not where they get that from (the DD214, iPerms or the orders themselves).

I had actually called the VA to see what my vesting status might be, and started the application. But the hold time was half an hour so I bailed. Since i'm not planning on using the benefit in the next few years I'll just have to get back to it because my vesting might change.
Old 05-01-2019, 9:09 PM

I feel like that's one of those dark mysterious questions no one knows the answer too. It's weird how you can't find reliable information online, or it all comes from weird accounts on reddit and rallypoint. And the VA can't tell you anything but the generics. I'm title 32 ADOS under a weird subchapter. We had been told our orders might count, but someone tried and they were only given their title 10 time. Maybe someone who's worked at the VA will sound off on the issue. I always find it interesting that entities like Tricare can see you're on orders before you're even given a copy...
Old 05-01-2019, 9:19 PM

E benefits website
Old 05-02-2019, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave50 View Post
E benefits website
Education links have been down since last night.