Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-29-2019, 9:31 AM

Default 8 years ago yesterday (28-MAR) I joined the USAR

I joined on a 6/2 contract back in 2011 and could have been DONE.

Not IRR done.

DONE...DONE

oh how time flies.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:10 AM

Hey Snoopy,

I just got into the USAR with the 79 TSC at Los Al. The Guard FINALLY got the transfer right, but only after I had to involve NGB to fix the incredible foul up.

One of these days we have got to sit down together.

Sapper

"How often do you see them?"

"All the time. They're everywhere." ***in tears***

Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:41 AM

Very big congrats to that.

You'll have to tell me if the grass is greener or not.
Old 04-01-2019, 5:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Wow, I remember following your thread about trying to get in. If I remember correctly, you were up against the age limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 04-01-2019, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post
Wow, I remember following your thread about trying to get in. If I remember correctly, you were up against the age limit.
Yea, I was 38 back then, the limit was 42, and I was tying to commission.

This being around March-2011

Then the USAR lowered the commissioning age back down to 30, bumping me out of contention for officer. HOWEVER, the enlistment window was still 42, but going to be LOWERED to 35 at the beginning of April-2011.

So I basically had a week to shat or get off the pot.

In that time, got to SGT, had a deployment, made officer, got a second MOS, now Company Commander. Around 90% with my GI Bill vesting, so just about any other long term orders, or mobilization will fully vest it. Plan to use it in retirement and take full time basket weaving classes at the local community college so I can get that BAH with the GI bill.

I'm here in SPITE of the system.

Ah.................. Good times...............

Took a lot of internet flak back then, took even more flak as a 38 year old SPC.

STILL!!!!!! take a lot of flack as a 46 year old 1LT, but.............. not from any CSM's or below, hahahahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited by Snoopy47; 04-07-2019 at 10:55 PM..
Old 04-01-2019, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Very big congrats to that.

You'll have to tell me if the grass is greener or not.
I'm still trying to unscrew the mess the Guard made with it. I'm with the 79th TSC, and they are technically non-deployable for a while, since they are still standing up.

"How often do you see them?"

"All the time. They're everywhere." ***in tears***

Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 04-07-2019, 6:33 PM

Yeah I remember when you were trying to join. Time does fly.

10 years ago I was in some **** hole valley in Afghanistan. We got in a lot of contact, but Easter in particular was a heavy one I was involved in. I think about it every Easter, but this one marks 10 years... crazy.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:23 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

My time in the Army Reserve was about as good as I could have hoped it would be. I was in a good unit with good people. There was a 5K signing bonus. I deployed once to OCONUS for about a year, but not to any hostile fire zone. I would have gone anywhere, but that is just how the cookie crumbles. We had GREAT AT every year: Korea 2x, Germany, and Thailand for Cobra Gold.

By the time I hit 6 years, my civilian career was in full swing and I decided to bounce. I never got called during my IRR but I expected to, and would have if called. Overall it was a pretty great experience.
Old 04-24-2019, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

Coming up on 19 years in the Guard here, current contract puts me to 25 years, but I'm staying in longer. Currently an Infantry 1SG, although seeing how I spent most of my NCO career as a 13F, I'll probably move back to artillery when I pick up SGM in a few years. I'm toying with the idea of spending a few years as a SGM then dropping an artillery warrant packet and then stay in that route until they kick me out at 60, which would be a total of 43 years in. The only thing potentially keeping me from going warrant is the perm waiver I have for crohns, I'm hoping that if/when I start looking serious into that path that it won't be an unsolvable issue.
Old 04-24-2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
Coming up on 19 years in the Guard here, current contract puts me to 25 years, but I'm staying in longer. Currently an Infantry 1SG, although seeing how I spent most of my NCO career as a 13F, I'll probably move back to artillery when I pick up SGM in a few years. I'm toying with the idea of spending a few years as a SGM then dropping an artillery warrant packet and then stay in that route until they kick me out at 60, which would be a total of 43 years in. The only thing potentially keeping me from going warrant is the perm waiver I have for crohns, I'm hoping that if/when I start looking serious into that path that it won't be an unsolvable issue.
Can you go Warrant? Or did you join when right out of high school. Also, I thought they might not let you go WO if you made it to E8.
Old 04-27-2019, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

Snoopy47: I spoke with a CW4 who heads the WO recruitment program the other week during a Pre-Command Course at Los Alamitos and she didnít say anything about that, we spoke briefly about my permanent profile and if I should get it removed or to seek a waiver.

I joined between my junior and senior year of high school, my lowest line score is a 113, have more than the 5 years in Artillery as an NCO and have been to JFO. Most of my NCOERs are better than just good, and the ones that are just good are from times that I was acting in a position that I wasnít experienced or trained in. Add in Iím working on my second bachelors in M.E.

Ultimately, Iíll take whatever course that those with more experience and knowledge think is the best choice for the needs of the Guard, I wouldnít feel cheated staying enlisted, although it would be pretty cool and fun to be a targeting WO. Precision targeting, weaponeering, and collateral damage estimating was a ton of fun during my 13F SLC.
Old 04-27-2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
Snoopy47: I spoke with a CW4 who heads the WO recruitment program the other week
Ha.......... I'm certainly not an expert. I do remember getting the impression that the WO Branches each had their own criteria. If I went MI Warrant I'd would have needed an entire additional year on Mission or second deployment.

The USAR would of course let me run any entire QM Company with 160 soldiers and $50M in equipment without a clue though.

Funny how that works.