Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-10-2019, 6:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Default Disk Image or Transfer

Just bought a desktop PC that came with a 2TB 7200HD - Windows 10 pre-installed and running the current version. I've already loaded all the apps onto the drive and my documents (occupying 600MB).

I bought a 1TB SSD and installed it as a second internal drive. It formatted fine. What I would like to do is a complete transfer of all files from the HD to the SSD and be able to boot from the SSD.

Do I make a disk image of the drive or do a transfer (i.e.: https://pcmover-10.laplink.com/)? Whichever route is recommended, please suggest the best software for the job. Thanks.

Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).
Old 09-10-2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwack44 View Post
Just bought a desktop PC that came with a 2TB 7200HD - Windows 10 pre-installed and running the current version. I've already loaded all the apps onto the drive and my documents (occupying 600MB).

I bought a 1TB SSD and installed it as a second internal drive. It formatted fine. What I would like to do is a complete transfer of all files from the HD to the SSD and be able to boot from the SSD.

Do I make a disk image of the drive or do a transfer (i.e.: https://pcmover-10.laplink.com/)? Whichever route is recommended, please suggest the best software for the job. Thanks.
What you want to do is download the exact version of your windows and have the code ready. Start out by safely removing and storing your HD while you install windows onto the ssd. I also would look into doing it correctly by watching YouTube videos.
Old 09-10-2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:

This is the easiest, most reliable way to do what you want to do:

Download Macrium Reflect, and "clone" your C drive, to your new SSD. remove 2tb drive, install SSD (now the C drive). Format your 2tb drive as "D" drive. Once this is done, image your C drive, to the D drive. Once done, check the D drive, to make sure the Macrium Reflect image file is there. Make a Macrium recovery USB stick. Put in a safe place.

If you use a swap file, have it run from your D drive.
Send all your TEMP/TMP files to the D drive.
re-direct personal files (Pics, Music, Video etc.) to the D drive.
Turn off Defrag on the SSD (C) drive.
This will seriously reduce the R/W cycles on the SSD.

If you're using a Samsung SSD, download, and use the Samsung Magician software.

If you need help doing any of this, let me know, and I can talk you through it. It's not that hard.

Last edited by Dragunov; 09-10-2019 at 7:00 PM..
Old 09-10-2019, 6:58 PM

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html

Use this to transfer the contents of the OS to the SSD.

However, the manufacturer of the SSD may have better software that can do the same thing but with a better interface. I've used Samsung's Data Migration software to great effect.
Old 09-10-2019, 7:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Now...Why do I have to change the letter designation of the drives (after they're cloned)? Can't I just go into the BIOS and change the boot order?

FWIW, my C drive is the 2TB 7200, the D drive is the DVD player, and the E drive is the new (Crucial) SSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post

Download Macrium Reflect, and "clone" your C drive, to your new SSD. remove 2tb drive, install SSD (now the C drive). Format your 2tb drive as "D" drive. Once this is done, image your C drive, to the D drive. Once done, check the D drive, to make sure the Macrium Reflect image file is there. Make a Macrium recovery USB stick. Put in a safe place.

If you need help doing any of this, let me know, and I can talk you through it. It's not that hard.

Old 09-10-2019, 7:47 PM

I used Macrium to clone my hdd to a new Samsung ssd. It worked fine, but it could take a couple of hours or more, so set aside the time and be patient while it is writing to the ssd. Mine is a Asus laptop.
Old 09-10-2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:

Now...Why do I have to change the letter designation of the drives (after they're cloned)? Can't I just go into the BIOS and change the boot order?

FWIW, my C drive is the 2TB 7200, the D drive is the DVD player, and the E drive is the new (Crucial) SSD.
It shouldn't look like that once you install windows to your ssd. Once windows is installed onto your ssd and it is recognized as a boot device it should go smoothly after that (that's why i said you should unplug your HD before you install windows on your new drive).
Old 09-11-2019, 4:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bako88fanjr View Post
It shouldn't look like that once you install windows to your ssd. Once windows is installed onto your ssd and it is recognized as a boot device it should go smoothly after that (that's why i said you should unplug your HD before you install windows on your new drive).
Windows came pre-installed on the drive I am cloning (I don't have a bootable Windows 10 on a DVD/CD). How would I disable the HD?

Old 09-11-2019, 6:00 AM

Didn't your new second drive come with software to do this?
Old 09-11-2019, 6:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
Didn't your new second drive come with software to do this?
No - The second drive (a Crucial SSD) came with nothing pre-installed.

Old 09-11-2019, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibikiR View Post
https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html

Use this to transfer the contents of the OS to the SSD.

However, the manufacturer of the SSD may have better software that can do the same thing but with a better interface. I've used Samsung's Data Migration software to great effect.
This is what I've used in the past and it works quite well. More automated and you dont have to deal with manually changing the drive Letters.

Also if you use the process Dragunov prescribes you dont have to worry too much about what drive is what letter as long as Windows know where to boot from you should be fine.
Old 09-12-2019, 6:08 AM

Quote:

Because you want to boot off your SSD, right?

Once you clone over to the SSD, THAT becomes your C drive. For standards sake, you want to boot from your C drive. It just makes things easier.

No need to go into BIOS. You can go in to Disk management and do it. Chances are, when you re-install your 2tb drive, it will automatically become your E drive.

You can designate your 2tb drive as "E" if you like. The important thing here, is to make sure your C drive is your SSD, and boot drive.

Booting from a drive besides your C drive is awkward, not standard, and can lead to making mistakes.

Once you clone your SSD, install it. Don't install your 2tb just yet. Make sure everything is working properly first.

Once you know everything works properly, THEN install your 2tb drive, go into disk management

Find your 2tb drive, then, DELETE volume for every partition. Make SURE you have the right drive!

Your drive will become UNALLOCATED.

Right click the UNALLOCATED space, then "create new volume", accept all defaults, unless you want to change drive letters.

When finished, you should be GTG.

Last edited by Dragunov; 09-12-2019 at 6:20 AM..
Old 09-12-2019, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvg2151 View Post
This is what I've used in the past and it works quite well. More automated and you dont have to deal with manually changing the drive Letters.

Also if you use the process Dragunov prescribes you dont have to worry too much about what drive is what letter as long as Windows know where to boot from you should be fine.
Mini Tool Partition Wizard is a good program too. I use it for just about everything but cloning drives.
Old 09-12-2019, 5:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Thanks everyone for the advise. I'll work on the cloning over the weekend (I have a hunch it will be an all day ordeal).

Old 09-12-2019, 6:03 PM

Your SSD maker should have a download that will allow you to transfer your windows 10 from the mechanical drive over to the SSD. After transfer is done. goto your bios and set which drive is the boot drive.
Old 09-12-2019, 7:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would not do it this way. Get an 8gb USB stick and download the Win 10 installer to it. Take out your old drive and install the new one. Boot off the usb and install Win 10. You don’t have to license or activate it at this time. Once it’s running (use something like Driver Booster to install missing drivers if necessary) then attach you old drive and copy your profile data and other files to the new drive. Once you are completely satisfied that you have all of your old data copied then format your old drive to use as data. If you have windows 7 or 8 when you go to activate Win 10 click on the I have a key option and plug in the key from the sticker on your machine and it will activate. This is a safe way to get your data moved over. We’ve fired help desk guys for not doing it this way and losing users’ data....

I would not use any of those clone tools unless you have all of your data backed up to a 3rd drive first.
Check it out I'm like a buzz bomb

Last edited by ibanezfoo; 09-12-2019 at 7:14 PM..
Old 09-12-2019, 8:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

I initially tried that. Created a Win 10 installer using a 16B stick. Then disconnected the OEM 2TB drive, had only the SSD installed, and booted up from the stick. The 'stick' would not identify the SSD (which I had already formatted). I have a hunch with OEM drives that have Win 10 pre-installed, there must be a code that makes the stick identify with the drive. I even tried booting the stick and placing Win 10 on an external 3.0 USB hard drive. No luck.

Aside from that, I don't want to re-install the third party programs (Adobe Suite, MS Office, Quickbooks, etc). I'm hoping cloning the drive will bypass that time suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
I would not do it this way. Get an 8gb USB stick and download the Win 10 installer to it. Take out your old drive and install the new one. Boot off the usb and install Win 10. You don’t have to license or activate it at this time. Once it’s running (use something like Driver Booster to install missing drivers if necessary) then attach you old drive and copy your profile data and other files to the new drive. Once you are completely satisfied that you have all of your old data copied then format your old drive to use as data. If you have windows 7 or 8 when you go to activate Win 10 click on the I have a key option and plug in the key from the sticker on your machine and it will activate. This is a safe way to get your data moved over. We’ve fired help desk guys for not doing it this way and losing users’ data....

I would not use any of those clone tools unless you have all of your data backed up to a 3rd drive first.

Old 09-12-2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:

^^^ This is another way to do it. Make SURE you get your Wi-Fi driver downloaded, and installed FIRST, otherwise, Driver Booster will not work.
Old 09-13-2019, 7:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I initially tried that. Created a Win 10 installer using a 16B stick. Then disconnected the OEM 2TB drive, had only the SSD installed, and booted up from the stick. The 'stick' would not identify the SSD (which I had already formatted). I have a hunch with OEM drives that have Win 10 pre-installed, there must be a code that makes the stick identify with the drive. I even tried booting the stick and placing Win 10 on an external 3.0 USB hard drive. No luck.

Aside from that, I don't want to re-install the third party programs (Adobe Suite, MS Office, Quickbooks, etc). I'm hoping cloning the drive will bypass that time suck.
What kind of computer is it? I haven’t yet found anything that Win10 wouldn’t see unless the BIOS had some funky settings... Do you know what your drive controller is set to? UEFI - AHCI/RAID etc? Some have a CMS module that has to be set right or secure boot settings have to be tweaked.
Old 09-14-2019, 7:49 AM

Is secure boot disabled in the BIOS?
Old 09-14-2019, 12:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Tried cloning the 2TB 7200 Hard drive (C drive) to the 1TB SSD drive E drive in second internal bay and ran into a problem during the process.

A few minutes in, I got a prompt that there wasn't enough space and the only option I had was to stop (the drive initially showed the 931GB available). I stopped, went back into Macrium and I see I can't access the 931GB from the SSD (see 1st pic below). I then went into Win 10's Disk Management and the E drive designation is gone (see 2nd Pic below). I tried the process again and now get the prompt there isn't enough space. I tried formatting the SSD and it will only format to 355MB.

I think I need to start from scratch and reformat the SSD. But only 355MB is recognized to format.

Suggestions.....please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post

Old 09-14-2019, 5:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Its just the partition size wrong. Right click on the small volume and delete volume. The whole drive should then show as unallocated. Then right click and create a new partition and make it full size.... You could also click on the 355 and expand the volume. Select all availible space.... or, just right click and delete it and let the clone tool build the partitions for you if it will. I haven't used that particular one but most will set up the drive for you.

Last edited by ibanezfoo; 09-14-2019 at 5:29 PM..
Old 09-14-2019, 7:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Its just the partition size wrong. Right click on the small volume and delete volume. The whole drive should then show as unallocated. Then right click and create a new partition and make it full size.... You could also click on the 355 and expand the volume. Select all availible space.... or, just right click and delete it and let the clone tool build the partitions for you if it will. I haven't used that particular one but most will set up the drive for you.
I was able to re-format the drive to make all 931GB 'unallocated'. With some additional research, I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh4uRhWwZT0; which pointed out to me I needed to match various partition sizes from the 2TB target drive to the 1TB destination drive to get the cloning started. Speaking of which, cloning started 5 hours ago (3:00PM Saturday) and its at 46% completed.

Old 09-14-2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:

acronis will do that!
Old 09-15-2019, 5:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Clone was a success (I think).

I have both drives installed and still booting from the OEM 2TB (I restarted a couple times w/o a problem...just to make sure everything remains OK). To play it safe, I will shut down, 'unplug' this drive, boot up from the SSD (cloned) drive and hope for the best. It took 6:06 hours to clone 615 GB.

FWIW, the cloned SSD now has two letter designations: E (first partition is a FAT21 100MB partition and second partition os 16MB unformatted primary), and an F (which is NTSF Primary at 930GB and Recovery which is 1,024MB). In all, it has the same 4 partitions the target drive has. Only the target drive is strictly a C.

Last edited by Bushwack44; 09-15-2019 at 5:54 AM..
Old 09-15-2019, 7:03 AM

Sorry, been out of town for a few. Sounds like you did just fine.
Old 09-15-2019, 7:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Success!

After cloning, I shut down the OC, disconnected the OEM 2TB and the PC naturally booted from the SSD. I then shut down again, connected the power and SATA cables to the SSD (that originally were connected to the OEM 2TB), connected the secondary power and SATA cable (that were connected to the SSD) an booted up. The SSD is now C drive and the OEM 2TB is the E drive.

I did not do anything in the BIOS. I'm assuming switching the SATA cables (and power, though I can't imagine that making a difference) is what made the SSD the C Drive (I'm assuming the BIOS is programmed to recognize the drive connected to a specific SATA power port first before looking elsewhere for a boot drive).

Thanks again all for the guidance.

Old 09-15-2019, 4:00 PM

You're welcome.