Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-05-2018, 6:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishfisher View Post
A pig's natural defensive instinct is to flee. Only time I have seen hogs charge run toward someone, they were actually running away from something else. Happens sometimes when dogs are used, or when another hunter spooks it. Get out of the way and it will most likely run right by you. If it actually happens, you will likely not have time to engage your pistol anyway.

If your only reason for carrying the 1911 is for a back-up weapon for pigs, you are really just adding weight to your load. You would be better served by spending some time practicing rapidly cycling your bolt action rifle.
Whatever. One charged me.

It was cornered by a dog on a steep slope. Every time the hunter called off the dog, the pig chased and but the dog. The guide told me it was going to hamstring (ironic) his dog, so he was going to climb the steep slope, grab the dog and move left, and then he wanted me to shoot the hog before it chased them.

He grabbed the dog, the hog looked right at me, squealed, and ran full speed at me from a distance of 10-12 yards. There were about 180 degrees available to him when he chose me.

Guide told me they dislike dogs but hate people. I brained him right betwen the eyes. He wasnt just trotting in my general direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by Citadelgrad87; 12-05-2018 at 6:31 PM..
Old 12-05-2018, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt View Post
as if a california hog is going to hurt you, I wish someone would post a true report of a California hog hurting a hunter.....
You ought to meet my ex-wife....
Old 12-05-2018, 8:11 PM

So now we highjacked this thread some and are on whether CA hogs are really a charging threat to us. Frankly, I wonder that too because in my experience they are not. It seems to me they may run our way when disoriented or without other options but will divert before contact. Now my grandpa had a nasty scar on his leg from a hog he hunted in the south east that he tried
to pull off a dog, but that is a different breed of hog and situation. Perhaps someone should create a seperate thread on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2018, 8:31 PM

You guys are all missing the point. Neither a bolt action rifle nor a .45 is the right tool for the job. What you need to do OP is get yourself a .50 Beowulf and a reflex sight and 3 extra mags. Anything else is begging to be gored to death.
Old 12-05-2018, 8:49 PM

Gotta love when someone comes on here every few months to talk about "his pig" he got a few years ago on a guided hunt. Yeah. You're a real subject matter expert.

OP: to be totally honest, you sound like you're wanting to go on a nostalgia trip more than a hunt. I saw the post in the other subforum where you want to hunt hogs with a M24, now you're asking about side arms when hunting. Both are focusing your time and energy on the wrong aspects - weight over the actual hunt itself. I say this as a fellow Afghanistan combat infantryman, don't over think it. You'll have more than enough fun with a rifle, and seriously, after going through a combat deployment to the Kunar province, I can say I am worried in the least of a bayed up hog when I have a rifle. Put your time, energy, and mind towards the hunt.
Old 12-05-2018, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Only time I carry a pistol when hunting is a .22 for bunnies when I bird hunt, get skunked and am walking back to the car.
Old 12-05-2018, 9:28 PM
CGSSA Associate

Lots of answers over the years.......good to see new blood
Old 12-05-2018, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

BTW, you keep it from banging the rifle by using a sling over your right shoulder only, and pistol goes cross draw on the left hip. No worries about damage.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:05 PM

I used to carry a .357 mag when I used to hunt (gave up on CA) but ditched that after a few seasons due to the extra weight. But I do carry when I go fishing (90% night fishing) and it's mainly for self protection from the two legged type creatures.

But you do you. If you don't mind the extra weight, carry on.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq View Post
Not to muddy the waters, but if you're hunting after 1/1/19, I believe you'll need to find some lead-free ammo for that side arm. My understanding from talking to one of the local wardens (asked because I work for a business that sells ammo to hunters) is that the rules will apply much the same as they do to the prohibition of a sidearm while bowhunting. Since the sidearm is an "option" for taking the animal, it has to be in compliance with the lead free restrictions. Lehigh Defense Extreme Defenders/Perpetrators are all copper/brass I believe and Barnes is making some lead free pistol loads as well.

Gotta love, CA.
Depends on what and why you're carrying, and of course LEO discretion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post

CCR T14-250.1(c)(3)
Nothing in this section is intended to
prohibit the possession of concealable
firearms containing lead ammunition,
provided that the firearm is possessed
for personal protection and is not used
to take or assist in the take of wildlife.

Edit to add: Until July 2019 the condor area code supersedes the above.
Old 12-06-2018, 6:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
Gotta love when someone comes on here every few months to talk about "his pig" he got a few years ago on a guided hunt. Yeah. You're a real subject matter expert.

OP: to be totally honest, you sound like you're wanting to go on a nostalgia trip more than a hunt. I saw the post in the other subforum where you want to hunt hogs with a M24, now you're asking about side arms when hunting. Both are focusing your time and energy on the wrong aspects - weight over the actual hunt itself. I say this as a fellow Afghanistan combat infantryman, don't over think it. You'll have more than enough fun with a rifle, and seriously, after going through a combat deployment to the Kunar province, I can say I am worried in the least of a bayed up hog when I have a rifle. Put your time, energy, and mind towards the hunt.
Not sure who this is directed at. Im an expert in one thing, the pig that charged me. Nowhere did i claim this was likely, my understanding is it is very unlikely. It still happened.

The comedy gold to me is people telling me it didnt happen, or he was running away from something else, or he wasnt going to hurt anyone, based on their vast encyclopedic knowledge gained from their own limited experience.
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 12-06-2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
A pig's natural defensive instinct is to flee. Only time I have seen hogs charge run toward someone, they were actually running away from something else. Happens sometimes when dogs are used, or when another hunter spooks it. Get out of the way and it will most likely run right by you. If it actually happens, you will likely not have time to engage your pistol anyway.

If your only reason for carrying the 1911 is for a back-up weapon for pigs, you are really just adding weight to your load. You would be better served by spending some time practicing rapidly cycling your bolt action rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Whatever. One charged me. .
My comments to the OP were not intended to challenge or discredit your statements in any way. They were intended to share my experiences with the OP and to offer my thoughts on the necessity/effectiveness of a pistol as a pig hunting backup.

In fact, I hadn't even read your comment when I posted mine. I would never challenge your account of what happened on your pig hunt. I wasn't there.

Last edited by Irishfisher; 12-06-2018 at 8:15 PM..
Old 12-06-2018, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The first and thus far only time i hog hunted, i was charged. I dropped the hog with the last shot in my rifle at about 10 yards. Inside that, it would have been me and the hog, using a pocket knife. All i had to do was miss.

I dont give a crap what the internet says, next time i hunt boar i will be carrying a .357 mag side arm with hard cast solids.

I picked up a Glock 10mm after a pig hunt. Friend shot a 350lb boar with a .270 win and knocked it on its side. Second shot to the head with a 9mm or .40 finally did him in. Pig was snorting and clacking his tusks. It was quite the sight. Luckily I got it on video.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6ABE0A30-7479-4022-8970-805F4D45021E.jpg (19.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-06-2018, 9:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My comments to the OP were not intended to challenge or discredit your statements in any way. They were intended to share my experiences with the OP and to offer my thoughts on the necessity/effectiveness of a pistol as a pig hunting backup.

In fact, I hadn't even read your comment when I posted mine. I would never challenge your account of what happened on your pig hunt. I wasn't there.
No worries. Sometimes the nature of board posting people posting past each other.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 12-06-2018, 9:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
I picked up a Glock 10mm after a pig hunt. Friend shot a 350lb boar with a .270 win and knocked it on its side. Second shot to the head with a 9mm or .40 finally did him in. Pig was snorting and clacking his tusks. It was quite the sight. Luckily I got it on video.
If your friend shot it with the rifle why didn't he finish it then with another shot rather than waiting for you to walk up on it to see it snorting and clashing it's tusks?

Why put the rifle down to shoot it with a less powerful, less accurate weapon?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 12-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

My view is that in the time one could deploy and aim a pistol one can easily be ready for another shot or two with a rifle.
Old 12-07-2018, 6:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I gut shot one with a 45-70, then tried to finish it off with my Sig P220 just to see what those Buffalo bore .45 +p’s could do. I think I wrote a thread about it here several years ago actually. Bottom line, don’t be me
Old 12-07-2018, 8:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I am now going to stop carrying my little .38 and go with a desert eagle in 50AE.

I need to see if they make snake loads for it
Old 12-07-2018, 8:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Sig View Post
I gut shot one with a 45-70, then tried to finish it off with my Sig P220 just to see what those Buffalo bore .45 +p’s could do. I think I wrote a thread about it here several years ago actually. Bottom line, don’t be me
Do tell!
Old 12-07-2018, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

If hunting rabbits or pheasants, I've found that a S&W .357 or a Glock 17 9mm can be real handy. If you have been charged by an irate jack rabbit or a wild eyed rooster, then you know how important carrying a side arm can be. Just be sure to carry the biggest and heaviest handgun you can...……...
Old 12-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Less is more.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
If hunting rabbits or pheasants, I've found that a S&W .357 or a Glock 17 9mm can be real handy. If you have been charged by an irate jack rabbit or a wild eyed rooster, then you know how important carrying a side arm can be. Just be sure to carry the biggest and heaviest handgun you can...……...
Yep, those backup handguns come in real handy to shoot those charging ground squirrel's. They are dangerous and give you a hell of a mauling.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Calguns Addict

If it is a serious squirrel charge forget the pistol. You need a 50BMG

I have had only 2 animal charges in all the many years I have hunted. One here and one in Africa. The rifle I was using took care of both.

When I was young and more stupid I carried a pistol when deer hunting. As I got more experience, got older I stopped as it was just extra weight and not needed. Now I only carry a pistol if I am actually hunting with it.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:04 AM

At least one person in our group always had a sidearm, it seems logical; there are times during the hunting process where people tend to set their rifles aside, and it's good to have a few ready firearms IMO.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
At least one person in our group always had a sidearm, it seems logical; there are times during the hunting process where people tend to set their rifles aside, and it's good to have a few ready firearms IMO.
Do you guys set up 360 security with interlocking sectors of fire also? The CA woods are a dangerous place.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Do you guys set up 360 security with interlocking sectors of fire also? The CA woods are a dangerous place.
Never hunted in CA, we have cougar and bear where I used to hunt, and they have been known to come calling when there's the expectation of a gutpile.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Excellent argument against ccw.

Why are the pretend mountain men so against packing a sidearm? Nobodys asking you to carry it for them. Lot of energy expended on convincing someone theres no need.

Like i said, the same thing could be said about ccw. How many members here? And how many have fired a round at a bg from their ccw?

Should we therefore NOT carry?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Why are the pretend mountain men so against packing a sidearm? Nobodys asking you to carry it for them. Lot of energy expended on convincing someone theres no need.

Like i said, the same thing could be said about ccw. How many members here? And how many have fired a round at a bg from their ccw?

The one that raised my eyebrows was when I saw the mushroom hunters in central Oregon carrying AK-47 pattern rifles. Riddle me that. Eventually someone explained it to me but for a while there I was concerned that my knowledge of the life-cycle of fungus was severely lacking.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
The one that raised my eyebrows was when I saw the mushroom hunters in central Oregon carrying AK-47 pattern rifles. Riddle me that. Eventually someone explained it to me but for a while there I was concerned that my knowledge of the life-cycle of fungus was severely lacking.
My moms dad always told me that if you dont know what youre doing when you pick mushrooms, it can kill you.

I had always assumed he meant some were poisonous....
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 12-07-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
My moms dad always told me that if you dont know what youre doing when you pick mushrooms, it can kill you.

I had always assumed he meant some were poisonous....
Apparently the rifle helps make sure your mushroom bag stays your mushroom bag. Something like that. It's a wild wild world in the 'shroom biz I guess.
Old 12-07-2018, 2:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Do tell!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=366675
Old 12-07-2018, 2:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I agree with you! There are a lot of reasons to carry a side arm in the back country. In fact i can find more reasons to carry than one could for simple CCW carry. Depending on ones situation, they can be different too.

Taking a fall, breaking a leg or worse and losing your rifle down a cliff, could be a good example. The hand gun could be a good way to alert others of your whereabouts.

I carry with snake shot on my own place as i mentioned. (anything to avoid getting bitten)

Certainly, many in the northern states and Alaska are good places to carry a side cannon for obvious reason. Many here think side carry isn't for them but they might need to get out their trucks too.

On the other hand, I may not carry on an evening hunt where i might just drive up on my ATV and sit next to it with a beer in my hand.

With all that being said, i was trying out a holster for my P220 in 10 mm which is a heavy gun fully loaded this year in TAHOE. It didn't last long on my hip and i won't sell that holster. It ended up in my pack. (its what i do) trying product out.

For all the people saying there is no reason at all to carry, well, i guess there is no reason to carry a CCW either then. Nothing can ever happen to you ever, until it does and you end up on you tube video and/or in print about your demise and anti hunters posting about how you deserved what you got for hunting and killing animals.

I'm not saying i would carry one on a chicken farm but there are times and places for everything. Such as sleeping in your tent.

To each their own.
Old 12-07-2018, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
If your friend shot it with the rifle why didn't he finish it then with another shot rather than waiting for you to walk up on it to see it snorting and clashing it's tusks?

Why put the rifle down to shoot it with a less powerful, less accurate weapon?
Good question. It was our first pig hunt. We went to see the pig he shot and when walking over to it, saw it moving and thrashing around. We followed the guides lead, walked over to it and he asked my friend “do you want to finish him off?” and pulled out a handgun. First shot to the head didn’t do much but the second one killed him.

I was nervous because I was unarmed and wondering what would happen if that pig got up and came at me. I picked up the 10mm so I feel safer (he said there were mountain lions in the area too) and for a CO elk hunt I’ll one day do.
Old 12-07-2018, 7:06 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Funny story about first time hog hunters and where they get their info. I took a buddy on his first hog hunt this past summer. Based upon a friend of his shooting a pig at 20 yards in the brush he thought a shotgun would be better than a rifle to bring.

Meanwhile the ranch we hunted has some brushy canyons but we shot pigs at 50-100 yards. It could have been further but we were dialed in on where they hogs would show up.

I'm sure he's glad I didn't let him get a shotgun or he would be sausageless.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 12-07-2018, 7:49 PM

What makes the most sense? A J frame model 60 .357 with a 2” or 3” barrel. They’re light, 24 oz or so and plenty powerful if you need it. I have deer hunted for a while and I worry most about mountain lions (which are very numerous where I hunt) if I’m ever separated from my rifle or feral dogs.
Old 12-07-2018, 8:42 PM
CGSSA Associate

S&W makes a polymer revolver Elite?....and it weights nothing. Mine is in 44 mag it's so light you don't notice it. I use it while archery backpack hunting out of state.

In camp I'll carry a pistol or if I'm archery hunting in bear, lion or bad 2 legged area's
Old 12-07-2018, 8:47 PM

This just thread keeps getting better.
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 12-08-2018, 7:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
S&W makes a polymer revolver Elite?....and it weights nothing. Mine is in 44 mag it's so light you don't notice it. I use it while archery backpack hunting out of state.

In camp I'll carry a pistol or if I'm archery hunting in bear, lion or bad 2 legged area's
S&W 329 PD. Is there Scandium Frame with a titanium cylinder.
Old 12-08-2018, 9:24 PM

Only time I carry is when I'm hunting in Wyoming. I'm running a Ruger Bisley .45 Colt with 325gr. hard cast (weight be dam.ed) plus I also carry bear spray, I like to keep my options open

Richard
"This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Liberalism is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.”
unknown

Last edited by hntnnut; 12-08-2018 at 9:35 PM..
Old 12-08-2018, 11:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I used to carry a 38 Derringer for snakes or if I needed to finish off a deer.

FWIW, the CCI snake loads wouldn't chamber. Used handloaded snake shot.

#Blackolivesmatter