Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-05-2018, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Carry full size 1911

If You wanted to carry a full size .45 1911 and had s choice to carry a Wilson CQB ( non California gun) or Springfield Professional ( recent production), which one would You carry? And why?
Old 12-05-2018, 6:58 PM

Springfield because the Wilson Combat doesn’t like to stay in the evidence room.
Old 12-05-2018, 7:23 PM

Springfield, why? I'm partial to SA, It's on my permit
Old 12-05-2018, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

I’d carry the CQB, reason my personal opinion it’s the better gun. All bullet proof tool steel parts and if I’m paying $3000 for it, that’s what I want.

The reason I don’t carry a full size 1911 is that while driving the barrel digs into the seat cushion and can be uncomfortable as well as wear to the seat.

I have a Ed Brown SF carry (4 1/4 inch) that does not do that and is in my carry rotation.
Old 12-05-2018, 7:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You’ve already decided on full size 1911. For carry chose whichever one has the highest reliability or get one and have a gunsmith make it 99.999% reliable. Then carry that. Fit and finish and all that other crap mean nothing on a carry gun if you can’t have 100% confidence in it.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 12-05-2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
You’ve already decided on full size 1911. For carry chose whichever one has the highest reliability or get one and have a gunsmith make it 99.999% reliable. Then carry that. Fit and finish and all that other crap mean nothing on a carry gun if you can’t have 100% confidence in it.
agree, carry the one is more reliable.
Old 12-05-2018, 7:52 PM

I would not carry either, if you use it, you may not get it back for years. I prefer cheap, reliable handguns I can afford to lose.
Old 12-05-2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOdessa View Post
I would not carry either, if you use it, you may not get it back for years. I prefer cheap, reliable handguns I can afford to lose.
Yup.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2018, 8:07 PM
Veteran Member

After rereading your post I think you may already own both and are deciding which one you want to put on your CCW.

I’m sure both are equally reliable and I’m sure you shoot them both equally well, forget the ‘its to expensive to carry’ bit, how much is your life worth. Much more then a $3000 I’m sure, I guess it would come down to which one do you least want to have your normal carry wear on.
Old 12-05-2018, 8:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Because the odds of using it and then losing it are so great and your life or your families life isn't worth a $3,000 gun

Congrats on being first in with the most ridiculous answer to this often asked question

OP, carry what you shoot best. There will be no discernable difference between the 2 guns.
Old 12-05-2018, 9:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A full size 1911 is not the best to carry on your body

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:10 PM

Add them both and carry what suits you.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Go for it OP! I have a Springfield Professional on my CCW and carry it all the time in a Milt Sparks VM2. It's actually very easy to carry and conceal.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:35 AM
Calguns Addict

This really looks like a disguised, "would you carry a $3000 gun even though there is a chance it will get confiscated should you ever have to use it," question.

You should really say what you mean.

I would carry whichever gun I shot the best and not worry for one second about the money if it got confiscated. If it gets confiscated after saving my life and/or the lives of my family, they can keep the damn thing for all I care. And it will still be the best money I've ever spent.

BTW...my CQB sits on my nightstand. I carry it when I'm in Washington. And I'll carry it down here as soon as my permit comes in (got approved yesterday).

Fighter Pilot
Old 12-06-2018, 5:09 AM

Quote:
I buy cheap and reliable motorcycle helmets because I would hate to scratch or ruin a nice one if I had to really use it...
Old 12-06-2018, 5:18 AM

Carry either, both excellent choices. Just make sure you have a quality leather holster. It makes all the difference. I carry a full size Springfield loaded 1911 in a TT leather holster and no issues.
Old 12-06-2018, 6:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by heominhon View Post
Springfield because the Wilson Combat doesn’t like to stay in the evidence room.

That convinced me!
Old 12-06-2018, 7:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiiaaannn View Post
Go for it OP! I have a Springfield Professional on my CCW and carry it all the time in a Milt Sparks VM2. It's actually very easy to carry and conceal.

Love the professional, not to rub it in, but in NV you can carry what ever you want. You don't have to list anything on your CCW, how effing awesome is that.
Just seems retarded that Cali makes you list a gun.
There are so many different guns to carry for different uses depending on where you are going

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 12-06-2018, 8:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Chapped Hide View Post
Because the odds of using it and then losing it are so great and your life or your families life isn't worth a $3,000 gun

Congrats on being first in with the most ridiculous answer to this often asked question

OP, carry what you shoot best. There will be no discernable difference between the 2 guns.
This is definitely not the first time that someone has equated their and/or their family's lives with money.

That said, sounds like they should get something from the Bryco / Jennings / Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
Love the professional, not to rub it in, but in NV you can carry what ever you want. You don't have to list anything on your CCW, how effing awesome is that.
Just seems retarded that Cali makes you list a gun.
There are so many different guns to carry for different uses depending on where you are going
I too cannot fathom why you have to list the weapon(s) you want to carry.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 12-06-2018, 8:47 AM

I know you can custom order a CQB with most of these options but if we're talking about standard features I'd say SA Pro for these reasons:

Ambi safety, 20 LPI checked grip, magwell, flush cut slide stop, and night sights.

Last edited by Sure Shot 45; 12-06-2018 at 5:26 PM..
Old 12-06-2018, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post

I too cannot fathom why you have to list the weapon(s) you want to carry.

If you're lucky enough to live in LA you can't get a CCW period so there's that... Nothing to list. Problem solved.

Last edited by Sure Shot 45; 12-06-2018 at 8:52 AM..
Old 12-06-2018, 8:50 AM

Personally, I'd opt for the Wilson, because I prefer the undercut trigger guard on the Wilsons. The Springfield Professional feels odd to me.

FWIW, I sometimes carry a LB TRS - usually OWB with a cover garment. Not particularly difficult to conceal in those circumstances.
Old 12-06-2018, 8:55 AM

Don't carry the Wilson Combat because the jury will see the "combat" name in the model and think you intended to shoot someone that day. Just kidding guys, you know how absolutely dumb our world is getting these days. I figured someone would say it and really mean it.

I would quite simply carry both. Pick the one you want to carry that particular day. No need to commit to a dedicated carry gun. I alternate many days between a G27 and SA Loaded 1911. I know each platform is vastly different. And, no I don't get their operation confused. I do practice with each often.
Old 12-06-2018, 8:59 AM
Calguns Addict

1911 is a good carry gun. Much better then a revolver with a 2” diameter
cylinder.
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—“
Old 12-06-2018, 9:11 AM

Since both guns are quality firearms, my decision would be based on which gun gave me the best groups from various firing positions, not just the standard range bay shooting. This would include drawing from concealed and firing, firing from kneeling, behind cover etc.

If you have the option to do this, and I understand most people don't; it would make your decision a lot easier. Just my $.02, good luck with your decision.
Old 12-06-2018, 9:34 AM

Use which ever one you chose.

Just know that it will go into evidence and you may not get it back for many years.

It will be handled and tested and dusted or fumed and none of those will be removed from the firearm. The once pristine finish will be ruined.

It is nice to have a customized gun but IMHO..use it for the range and home defense. A customized gun used for home defense may be worth it for family peace of mind. But always have a spare in case.

Carry a gun that won't hurt so much in your pocket should it be seized for evidence.

A gun that you can get a replacement for quickly is usually a better choice. If you like the SA's get a spare SA.

I personally use a gun I can get another in the event I do use it. I know it will go into evidence, it may be many years before you see that gun again and many more before you can get it back...if you can get it back. Remember CA is not very friendly to firearm owners.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 12-06-2018, 9:48 AM

Wilson, because Springfield is crap (all of mine were bad out of the box) and SA sold out the 2A. My life is worth the price difference since the WC will work.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

A 1911 is surprisingly easy to carry for me. Yes, it's a heavy gun, but the slimness conceals well and something about it just feels right. I carry it in a kydex OWB converted to IWB with soft loops. I have a SA XD45 in a Galco King Tuk which is a bit harder to carry and conceal due to its wider dimensions and square grip.

Wilson CQB vs SA Pro, I'd go Pro all the way. It was designed for the FBI as a duty gun. It has a tough finish, is very accurate and is built to demanding specs, one of those being reliability. Tool steel vs. MIM...BAH! The SA passed a test which no other manufacturer could or even wanted to try.

Not hating on the Wilson, just my 2 internet cents.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 12-06-2018, 10:40 AM
GarY's Pencil Sharpener
CGN Contributor

Springfield.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:17 AM

Tough question. If I were an FBI agent like you, assigned to a black ops unit that fights gang crime, I'd probably still carry a Glock or M&P full size gun as it gets beaten up, may fall to the ground or into the toilet, etc. I'd personally prefer 9mm, but I guess .45 is fine as no jury will judge you as a federal agent for all the good you're doing, putting your life on the line every single day. An added advantage is that the polymer .45 is easier to carry as well.

I'm just a civilian with a CCW, so I got my own sort-of 1911, a Sig Sauer P238. Not up to the duties of a SWAT team commander, but more than sufficient to prevent a thug to jump me and take my money.

I got a Colt 1911 at home. Love that thing. Would not expose it to inclement weather or conditions that hurt it. Same as my classic sports car.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

I would pick the Wilson because it's a better gun imo.
Old 12-06-2018, 1:29 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Can you explain why?

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 12-06-2018, 2:06 PM

Both are good, but I'm loyal to Wilson Combat. I have 4 WC's (non-Ca models). I never owned a Springfield.
Old 12-06-2018, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue187 View Post
Use which ever one you chose.

Just know that it will go into evidence and you may not get it back for many years.

It will be handled and tested and dusted or fumed and none of those will be removed from the firearm. The once pristine finish will be ruined.

It is nice to have a customized gun but IMHO..use it for the range and home defense. A customized gun used for home defense may be worth it for family peace of mind. But always have a spare in case.

Carry a gun that won't hurt so much in your pocket should it be seized for evidence.

A gun that you can get a replacement for quickly is usually a better choice. If you like the SA's get a spare SA.

I personally use a gun I can get another in the event I do use it. I know it will go into evidence, it may be many years before you see that gun again and many more before you can get it back...if you can get it back. Remember CA is not very friendly to firearm owners.
You remind me of my girlfriend that said I should rent an SUV to go off road when she saw the scratches from branches on my brand new 4Runner TRD Pro when I took it off road first time. I explained to her that was the purpose of the vehicle not mall crawling with all the modifications and add ons to look cool.

In the very unlikely event that my CCW gun goes into evidence I will be glad that I was able to use it to save my life rather than lament that it might be a while before I see it again.

I am of the school that if I have nice things then I will use them for their intended purpose rather than just admire them.
Old 12-06-2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
This Exactly !!

P.S. - Hope you're a large guy
Old 12-06-2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiiaaannn View Post

That's because you chose wisely in your holster selection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2018, 9:01 PM

Life or death? I 'd choose the one that gives me the best chance of winning that coin flip. All else be damned.
Old 12-06-2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
You remind me of my girlfriend that said I should rent an SUV to go off road when she saw the scratches from branches on my brand new 4Runner TRD Pro when I took it off road first time. I explained to her that was the purpose of the vehicle not mall crawling with all the modifications and add ons to look cool.

In the very unlikely event that my CCW gun goes into evidence I will be glad that I was able to use it to save my life rather than lament that it might be a while before I see it again.

I am of the school that if I have nice things then I will use them for their intended purpose rather than just admire them.

Tanks but no tanks!!
Very nice of you to share your wisdom but I didn’t ask for it..
You can do whatever you want and shoot whatever you want. The OP asked a question and I answered.

You can do whatever you want with your 4Runner. Your girlfriend was right.. why destroy your nice stuff when you can destroy someone else’s.

If you use your firearm know that it will go into evidence.. you can spend as much as you like to have whatever custom gun you want. Unless you light your fires with hundred dollar bills then every dollar spent has to be earned.

OP asked about to different price ranges guns and most replied with common sense.
Do you want to lose a $3000 plus gun or a cheaper gun of comparative quality?

It doesn’t matter as long as it saves your bacon when it falls into the fire. $3000 or a few hundred.. as long as it does what’s intended then it’s good.

If you want to show off your wealth then your welcome to use your money as you see fit..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
A full size 1911 is not the best to carry on your body
Can't believe it took 11 replies to get to the right answer. If you are at least 6'2" and 200 lbs you may be able to conceal a full size 1911. If you are under that it will be obvious by your lean that you are carrying. You won't be happy with that weight on your hip all day. If it's caliber choice go with a Glock. I have a 30 SF not as heavy even with more ammo. I had a Detonics Combat Master 100% reliable very nice gun 2 1/2" shorter barrel and 2 rounds shorter in the grip than regular 1911 but still too heavy to carry all day. I have gotten so I carry by what I might expect where I travel. More often than not I find myself with S&W 642 - small light only down side 5 rounds of 38+P. Next is Glock 26 and for really bad areas the Glock 30 and an extra mag.
PS go with the Wilson.

Last edited by M1NM; 12-06-2018 at 10:07 PM..
Old 12-07-2018, 8:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Can you explain why?
The Springfield Pro uses MIM parts while the Wilson CQB does not. I understand that MIM parts can potentially be as good as tool steel, but I personally don't want to take that chance at that price point when there's an alternative that I consider better.

Last edited by teflondog; 12-07-2018 at 8:14 AM..