Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:14 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Default Something to consider...

This happened last week. Tell me how you would react...

0600 and asleep in bed. Wife snoring next to me. One dog (110 Lbs.) gets up and goes to the living room and starts to bark. Not unusual, this dog barks at the wind regularly. Second dog (90 Lbs.) gets up and runs after her and starts barking as well. This dog only barks when something is actually going on. I get up and, half asleep, stumble down the hall to the kitchen to see what they are barking at. Standing in the kitchen about 6 feet from my front door I realize the dogs are not barking at the front window and the front of the house but are barking at the front door. I'm confused. Why are they barking at the front door?

I gaze up at the small frosted window at head level on the door. I see nothing but light from the porch light. Suddenly I realize door handle is jiggling. I'm still confused. Then I realize the door is opening. My first thought was "How the hell did the dog get the front door open? Was it open all night? was it unlocked?" Door is still opening and dogs are trying to push through now...

I'm 6 feet from the door and 30 feet from my EDC. My wife is still mostly asleep....

What would you do?
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 10-10-2018, 12:24 PM

what i WOULDN'T do is leave my gun in the bedroom...
Old 10-10-2018, 12:34 PM

I second that motion. Take your gun and a flashlight with you. If my front door knob is being tampered with I would immediately state that they should go away and leave my house, it is a one time only statement. If someone comes in, then..... I'll leave that for another day.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:38 PM

Slam it shut and lock it. Then arm yourself.
CRPA Member
Old 10-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

I don't get it. You say the dogs were inside but you wonder how they got outside??? Front doors open toward the inside. How are they pushing through if they are on the inside?
you got to do a better job of coming up with fantasy scenarios.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:43 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
I don't get it. You say the dogs were inside but you wonder how they got outside??? Front doors open toward the inside. How are they pushing through if they are on the inside?
you got to do a better job of coming up with fantasy scenarios.
No, I said the dogs were at the front door trying to push their way out through the opening front door...

You need to work on your reading comprehension skills...
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 10-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, I read it alright.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:47 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
Oh, I read it alright.
Yet you failed to comprehend it...

Old 10-10-2018, 12:56 PM

If this happened, best bet is to assume an intruder. I also assume the scenario is that the door is slowly opening because someone outside was slowly opening the door. The dogs are inside the house and trying to nose the door open to get outside and get at the intruder.

From the description, I cannot tell if the intruder has backed off after opening door due to the dogs... so the dogs are left trying to open the door the rest of the way to get at the baddie... or if the baddie is sitting there, slowly opening the door, trying to figure his way around the dogs.

Either way, if you're 6 feet away and the door is opening slowly, you could run for the door, slam it closed and lock it and then book if for your weapon. Upside is now it'll take longer for said intruder to get back in through that door. Downside is, he may have help elsewhere or already be in the back working on another door and they now know you're home.

Since it appears that the dogs are doing their job, I would likely book it back to get my weapon in this scenario. Let the dogs do what they do and protect my wife from a defensive position.
Old 10-10-2018, 2:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post

0600 and asleep in bed. Wife snoring next to me. One dog (110 Lbs.) gets up and goes to the living room and starts to bark. Not unusual, this dog barks at the wind regularly. Second dog (90 Lbs.) gets up and runs after her and starts barking as well. This dog only barks when something is actually going on. I get up and, half asleep, stumble down the hall to the kitchen to see what they are barking at. Standing in the kitchen about 6 feet from my front door I realize the dogs are not barking at the front window and the front of the house but are barking at the front door. I'm confused. Why are they barking at the front door?

I gaze up at the small frosted window at head level on the door. I see nothing but light from the porch light. Suddenly I realize door handle is jiggling. I'm still confused. Then I realize the door is opening. My first thought was "How the hell did the dog get the front door open? Was it open all night? was it unlocked?" Door is still opening and dogs are trying to push through now...

I'm 6 feet from the door and 30 feet from my EDC. My wife is still mostly asleep....

What would you do?
Simple I'd grab the Smith 40 out of the SpeedVault by the door.

Of course to get to the point you describe a perp would have had to already defeated my MeshTech security screen.

We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

Last edited by 71MUSTY; 10-10-2018 at 2:15 PM..
Old 10-10-2018, 2:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

what would i do?

Old 10-10-2018, 3:12 PM

Sorry, BS scenario.

1) As soon as dogs start to bark, intruder is gone to easier pickings,
2) Because dogs are barking, intruder knows owner is awake - see #1
3) Porch light is on. Nobody is coming to a lighted front porch with barking dogs,
4) As soon as door starts to open, dogs will bolt for the door. Bye, bye intruder.
5) Why the he!! is your front door unlocked?

Try better next time.
Old 10-10-2018, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkja View Post
Sorry, BS scenario.

3) Porch light is on. Nobody is coming to a lighted front porch with barking dogs,
4) As soon as door starts to open, dogs will bolt for the door. Bye, bye intruder.

Try better next time.
I'm going to go with 5 as 1 and move the rest down a notch.

Of course for me it would be dumb azz kid trying to get in quietly in the first place.
Old 10-10-2018, 4:09 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sorry, BS scenario.
Not a BS scenario, actually happened last Wednesday morning.

Your points however are valid, but with a lot of assumptions. My post only shares what happened from waking up from a dead sleep to seeing the front door start to open and I had to make a decision on how to react while still half asleep, not the rest of the story. Your points are things one would consider while fully awake and alert, not while half asleep and events are happening as you are trying wake up.

I find the armchair quarterbacking in this thread amusing, but I have done the same in the past myself. The point here is that this incident has made me think harder about home defense , especially at those times when you are not fully "on your game" and are more vulnerable, even in your own home.

To break them down:

Quote:
Assumes that the intruder was in their right mind and not hopped up on something...

Quote:
Just because there are dogs means someone is home? I never said anything about turning on any lights or indicating that I was at home to the intruder in my post.

Quote:
See my answer to #1

Quote:
See #1 and #2

Quote:
Where did I say my door was unlocked? I said my first thought was "How did the dog open the door and questioned if I had left it unlocked" not that the door was actually unlocked...

Last edited by baggss; 10-10-2018 at 4:15 PM..
Old 10-10-2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry, BS scenario.

Try better next time.
Yep. This scenario is also why I have an alarm system that will wake the dead if a window or door is opened. But then again if you can't remember to lock your door maybe an alarm is beyond your abilities as well.

And having been in a similar situation (pre-alarm) when this happened I was WIDE AWAKE in a millisecond. Heart pumping.

Saw the post above. If the door was locked how did the intruder get it to open?? If knob was turning that indicates that the door was not rammed open.
Old 10-10-2018, 4:18 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka1911 View Post
Yep. This scenario is also why I have an alarm system that will wake the dead if a window or door is opened. But then again if you can't remember to lock your door maybe an alarm is beyond your abilities as well.

And having been in a similar situation (pre-alarm) when this happened I was WIDE AWAKE in a millisecond. Heart pumping.

Saw the post above. If the door was locked how did the intruder get it to open?? If knob was turning that indicates that the door was not rammed open.
Again where did I say my door was unlocked? With the way my dogs bark it's not that uncommon to be awakened by them in the night.

Either way, I notice a lot of folks are not answering what they would do in the situation presented, which is the question, but are instead making assumptions based on what they think they know from the scenario presented.

Last edited by baggss; 10-10-2018 at 4:20 PM..
Old 10-10-2018, 4:29 PM
Calguns Addict

You never told us what your dad wanted at 0600.

We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 10-10-2018, 4:33 PM

If the dogs where not in the way of closing the door, I would probably have slammed it closed and locked it, but I am big and have some mass. You seem to have problems waking, are you taking medication? If so, not arming yourself with a firearm is probably a good thing. My bedside weapon is in a gunvault type safe. It is unlocked, but the gun is in a pocket holster to make sure I am awake enough to pull it clear and not accidentally put my finger on the trigger while pulling it from the safe. If my motion detectors go off at night, I wake up pretty quick and would investigate with gun and flashlight in hand.
Old 10-10-2018, 4:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Need more info...

First question I assess is do I think I have a reasonable chance of getting the door closed and locked with someone from the outside coming in and dogs trying to go out. If I think my chances are reasonably good to get the door locked, I'm throwing everything I got into that door.

But, if I've already got a dog with his head wedged in between the door and jam and I don't think I can get the dog out and the door closed, I'm abandoning the door and bee lining it for a weapon. I love the dogs but I'll concede them and the living room for being armed and making a stand...and hoping it all works out for the best.

It would also help to know a bit more about the dogs. Like are they barkers but as soon as that door is open they're more interested in getting outside than the intruder coming through the door? Or is there a reasonable expectation that the dogs will engage whomever is coming in? Cause that would make me feel a lot better about getting to a weapon in time and joining the fight...or cleaning up the mess.

Fighter Pilot
Old 10-10-2018, 5:03 PM

I’d go for my gun.
Call 911
Yell some strong profanity to anyone trying to enter my house
Tell my dog (I only have one German Shepherd and he loves to bark/growl) to SIC
—- at some point, I would consider putting pants on.

Safety Rule #1:
1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded
Old 10-10-2018, 5:07 PM

Default Similar Experience

I have had a similar experience.

It was about 1AM and I was watching a movie, all lights turned off, and sound was down on the TV so just barely audible.

I heard a distinct sound of someone jiggling my door handle.

I immediately armed myself with a 12 gauge shotgun. Do not turn on/off lights. Do not adjust volume on TV. Sit quietly in the dark. This gives you a tactical advantage- the intruder doesn't know if he is detected or if anyone is home, etc.

I listened closely in the dark as the intruder checked windows, and tried to jimmy my sliding glass door on the porch. Again, do nothing. Wait. Do not give away your position. There could be others trying another way in and the guy making noise was a ruse.

In the end of the attempt, the intruder gave up. He couldn't jimmy the doors or windows. I sat in the dark, waited, and make coffee in the dark and waited for the sun to rise with my friend, Mr. Mossberg 12 GA.

Indeed there were foot prints in the dirt around the windows and porch upon inspection in sunlight.

But most importantly, I was prepared to defend myself and did so properly to not give away my position, and retained the advantage of surprise.
Old 10-10-2018, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovite View Post

It was about 1AM and I was watching a movie, all lights turned off, and sound was down on the TV so just barely audible.

I immediately armed myself with a 12 gauge shotgun. Do not turn on/off lights. Do not adjust volume on TV. Sit quietly in the dark. This gives you a tactical advantage- the intruder doesn't know if he is detected or if anyone is home, etc.

I listened closely in the dark as the intruder checked windows, and tried to jimmy my sliding glass door on the porch. Again, do nothing. Wait. Do not give away your position. There could be others trying another way in and the guy making noise was a ruse.

In the end of the attempt, the intruder gave up. He couldn't jimmy the doors or windows. I sat in the dark, waited, and make coffee in the dark and waited for the sun to rise with my friend, Mr. Mossberg 12 GA.

Indeed there were foot prints in the dirt around the windows and porch upon inspection in sunlight.

But most importantly, I was prepared to defend myself and did so properly to not give away my position, and retained the advantage of surprise.
Did it ever cross your mind to call 911? Could have saved your neighbors from suffering a break in.
Old 10-10-2018, 5:23 PM

Your kid sneaking back in after being out all night?
Old 10-10-2018, 5:30 PM

A couple days ago while getting ready for work(I get up at 3am) I heard a noise downstairs that wasn’t a familiar noise, what did I do? I grabbed my ****ing gun and went to see what the noise was from. Turns out it was nothing... but I had my gun!
Old 10-10-2018, 5:40 PM

I've had to get up for something that went bump in the night quite a few times. It's always been inconvenient to fix whatever it was with a Glock in one hand.

But then I'm sitting in my locked house right now with my G19 on my hip.
Old 10-10-2018, 6:37 PM
Retired Kamikaze Pilot
CGN Contributor

I would quickly vamoos back to my bedroom and retrieve my shotgun.

Then I would ascertain whether my monster-sized dogs were eating or licking them to death.
Old 10-10-2018, 6:44 PM

MY wife reminded me the other day of the time right after she had moved in with me (pre-marriage). 2 AM in the morning and there is a noise that sounds like someone just kicked in the front door. I rolled out of bed grabbed the pistol form the nightstand and went to the bedroom door to check the hall.

After listening for a few seconds/minutes (who knows in the excitement) I determine there are no more sounds emanating from the foyer of my 900 sq ft condo so I then checked on the rest of the house.

As I go into the second bedroom I see that the closet rod that was now housing a S***ton of female clothing has crashed to the closet floor.

I walk back into the room and the now wife just looks at me and says to me "well at least one of us is good in an emergency because I couldn't even pick up the phone and dial 911"

She then starts laughing as she realizes I'm standing there with a gun in my hand in my birthday suit (we still liked each other back then).

Ohh the good old days.

To this day if I get out of bed because the dog is going off the deep end a pistol comes with me.
Old 10-10-2018, 6:59 PM

I'd yell out something ("Can I help you with something" or just "Hey") and hit a light.. while heading towards the nearest firearm. If I could get the dogs to bark more I'd do so (training dependent).

Very few (like zero) burglars are going to go forward once detected. The ones that do are either drunk (mistaken address) or high. I'm fine with giving up a "tactical advantage" of surprise if it means the people go away without a shot fired. Since I would be falling back from the location I verbalized it isn't giving up much.

It could be any number of things, I once had a deer hit my front door .. I was in an apartment on the second floor.. and a deer got spooked, ran up the stairs and hit my door.. no reasonable way to think the thing that just pounded on your front door was a deer.. but it was. If I had kids away at college... perhaps one came home for some reason.. drunken mistake address.. etc..

Verbalize, hit a light, fallback, get a gun.. have the misses call 911 if it continued. Every bullet has a lawsuit attached, I don't have to stop the intruder at the door (especially with dogs).
Old 10-10-2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovite View Post

I think you made a huge mistake.. hit a light (doesnt mean you have to stay in the spot.. in fact you can hit a light and go to someplace dark to give you an advantage).

You let them know they are spotted, they will run off.. then call the cops. They probably wouldnt stay in the area but you never know. Lots of druggies are on foot. You maximized your chance of being in a shooting imho.
Old 10-10-2018, 7:26 PM
Veteran Member

Dogs need meat too. Time to earn their room and board. Sick'em boys! It's what dogs do.

*I'd leave the gun in the safety lock box to add weight and threaten to brain them/him/her with a commanding sponge bob square pants voice.

Everybody knows that nothing bad ever happens to people when in the safety of their own home. That's why we lock up our guns while we are home. Because it's safer.

I really hope the easy lesson is learned and starts others to thinking about the "what if's" and develop a plan.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-10-2018, 9:02 PM

Default Something to consider...

You probably need a better dog, better door lock and a better made up scenario.

Use a dragon and a shark with a laser next time. No one will question it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Yodaman; 10-11-2018 at 6:39 AM..
Old 10-10-2018, 11:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Hire a mage to ward your house, then you won't have these problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosdanger View Post
Weiner is in jail for doing much less than Kavanaugh or your Dear Leader Trump have done and they are walking around free.

NRA Benefactor Member

Police brutality? Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114 to learn more about "isolated incidents"
Old 10-11-2018, 8:49 AM

Okay, I'm still calling BS. You're not telling us something. Per your reply, I have to make assumptions because you're leaving out information. More comments/questions:
1) When you enter the kitchen and look to the front door, why not turn on some lights so somebody knows you're there?
2) Doesn't your front door have a peephole?
3) Doesn't your front door have a deadbolt?
4) You state the door is opening, even with all the racket going on.

The scenario leads me to believe (must make assumptions since you're leaving out so much info).
1) The individual entering the house had a key,
2) If no key, then you left the door unlocked - big fail - and perhaps the person trying to enter was on drugs, drunk, lost, etc. thinking it was his house (even with all the commotion).

BTW, what came of all this? Did you yell out and tell the person to leave? Did the person leave of his/her own accord? Was it your celebrity chef coming in early to cook you a special breakfast?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Quote:
Not a BS scenario, actually happened last Wednesday morning.

Your points however are valid, but with a lot of assumptions. My post only shares what happened from waking up from a dead sleep to seeing the front door start to open and I had to make a decision on how to react while still half asleep, not the rest of the story. Your points are things one would consider while fully awake and alert, not while half asleep and events are happening as you are trying wake up.

I find the armchair quarterbacking in this thread amusing, but I have done the same in the past myself. The point here is that this incident has made me think harder about home defense , especially at those times when you are not fully "on your game" and are more vulnerable, even in your own home.

To break them down:

Assumes that the intruder was in their right mind and not hopped up on something...

Just because there are dogs means someone is home? I never said anything about turning on any lights or indicating that I was at home to the intruder in my post.

See my answer to #1

See #1 and #2

Where did I say my door was unlocked? I said my first thought was "How did the dog open the door and questioned if I had left it unlocked" not that the door was actually unlocked...

Last edited by larkja; 10-11-2018 at 8:51 AM..
Old 10-11-2018, 9:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you had a camera at the front door you could off seen who was on the other side of the door.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:32 AM

What movie is this scene from? I didn't see it mentioned.
Old 10-11-2018, 2:17 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Okay, I'm still calling BS. You're not telling us something.
Of course I'm not telling the whole story. I'm asking others how they would react given the info I had up to the point where I had to decide how to react. The idea is to let others consider what was happening and see how they would respond, or how they think they would respond, to the situation I found myself in.

Quote:
BTW, what came of all this? Did you yell out and tell the person to leave? Did the person leave of his/her own accord? Was it your celebrity chef coming in early to cook you a special breakfast?

Inquiring minds want to know...
I'll share that in a bit, I still want to see what useful input others may have. Some people have actually provided good advice and some have even suggest things I hadn't considered.

Old 10-11-2018, 3:33 PM

If youre leaving parts of the story out, why not just make up an entirely new story? I dont see why when people question parts of your made up story, your response is along the lines of "well you dont know the whole story, I only want you to react to ONLY the parts im telling you"

Many parts of this story make no sense to me, but might make sense if you arent playing coy with the full story.
Old 10-11-2018, 3:36 PM

Not sure why this is a deal, the OP has been a great contributor to the ccw forums.. he presented a simple scenario and asked for reactions..

If you were half awake and the door is opening unexpectedly and you are unarmed, what do you do?
Old 10-11-2018, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

If I wake up t ok a potential emergency or intruder I'm armed.

If you're too groggy to wake up and fight step your man game up bruh.
Old 10-11-2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:

What would you do?
It would depend on the layout of your house. You say your are 6' from the door. How close is the hallway to your bedroom. If you were only a few feet, then retreating seems the better option. I'm guessing though your in an open space in the kitchen where the front door is actually your closest passage.

In that case I'd run hard at the door and assuming it knocks the person / thing back a bit I'd try and lock it before retreating. Or let your dogs through.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder