Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 10-10-2018, 6:06 PM

Default Any Knife Sales Professionals On CGN?

I’ve worked in the foodservice equipment and smallwares industry for 28 years as a manufacture’s sales rep., I’ve represented several knife manufactures including R.H. Forschner/Victorinox, Tramontina, Friedr Dick and Mercer Tool. Customers range from traditional foodservice equipment dealers, processors (meat, chicken and fish), grinders and culinary schools, never consumer retail like Macy’s or William Sonoma.

Anyone else sell knives for a living?

http://i68.tinypic.com/a45y0h.jpg

Last edited by MeatyMac; 10-10-2018 at 6:42 PM..
Old 10-10-2018, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

I would write them up and sell on auction websites. Fun stuff, especially military stuff, bayonets and beauties like the Krag Bowie Bayo!!!!!!

Fun world, but you have to do homework.

I love getting a knife or 2 to write up now and again!
Old 10-11-2018, 7:37 AM

Hammer, It’s interesting working in the professional cutlery industry and actually being a knife guy. Most salespeople that do what I do are not knife people, at least anything away from kitchen cutlery. Very few street salespeople know knife steel properties nor handle materials, they know applications and maintenance and the charteristics and difference between carbon and stainless blades, but that’s about it. When I go to trade shows and talk to factory people outside the sales department that’s when things get interesting and sales managers typically take notes when they’re in on the conversation.

When I was an Oneida rep. I had a sales manager that ground blades as a hobby, he and I would go on our own private tours of Oneida’s knife forging plant in Sherrill, NY and talk to the old timers about when Oneida made M1905 bayonets during WWII, they’re still using the same forges they used during WWII. At Oneida’s HQ just down the road from the knife plant they have several glassed in displays of the knives and bayonets they’ve made under US government contract.