Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2021, 11:52 AM

Default Selling complete lowers?

Iím looking into selling my complete lowers (without stock and grip), however, I also want to keep my compliance parts for the new lowers (AR Maglatch). I would put the stock mag release back in. Am I able to sell the lowers like this?
Old 09-07-2021, 11:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes no restrictions as not configured as anything. I bought a couple half assembled lowers now have up for sale after finishing.
Old 09-07-2021, 2:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1911 View Post
Iím looking into selling my complete lowers (without stock and grip), however, I also want to keep my compliance parts for the new lowers (AR Maglatch). I would put the stock mag release back in. Am I able to sell the lowers like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Yes no restrictions as not configured as anything. I bought a couple half assembled lowers now have up for sale after finishing.
edgerly is correct.

However, check with your FFL of choice as some of them have their own made rules as to what's legal and what's not.

There have been threads started about this more than once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

ĒBenitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacityĒ
Old 09-07-2021, 2:30 PM

Thanks! I did a search here and on google, but a lot of the info I found were people trying to buy lowers from different places. Couldn’t find anything about selling “non compliant” lowers.
Old 09-08-2021, 5:47 AM
retired Goon

The only types of receivers you won't be able to sell are those that are make/model banned as assault weapons.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.Ē - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-08-2021, 8:59 AM

You are correct, the lower needs to be non-featured (no pistol grip, no adjustable stock) to be sold without a mag-lock device. I purchased a lower like this about 6 months ago. The only problem is that the safety and detent parts will also come off of the lower so take them out and give them to the buyer separately.
Old 09-08-2021, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGood View Post
You are correct, the lower needs to be non-featured (no pistol grip, no adjustable stock) to be sold without a mag-lock device. I purchased a lower like this about 6 months ago. The only problem is that the safety and detent parts will also come off of the lower so take them out and give them to the buyer separately.
Why? If it's not an AW when the upper and lower are separated, how is it an AW without an upper? Tere hanges?
Old 09-08-2021, 2:35 PM
Veteran Member

The challenge will be finding an FFL that will do the transfer and not make up laws that dont exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Civilization is four missed meals unwiped po0ps away from anarchy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
And the lord appeared unto him and spoketh "tere henges". And he did knoweth in two weeks shall be the terrible boating accident whereas upon the mighty waves will the shoulder thing that goes up be lost beneath the sea. All rise. Sit down. Rise again. Sit down. Behold the non homo dancing. Amen
Old 09-08-2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
Why? If it's not an AW when the upper and lower are separated, how is it an AW without an upper? Tere hanges?

From what I gather, you can't purchase in CA a complete lower with standard pistol grip unless it has a maglock device installed. When it's DROS'd it would be considered a 'fixed mag' lower.

In the case of my recent AR purchase, it was registered as a featured AR previously (w/maglock) and I wanted to be sure that it would not be registered as such going forward (it was planned to make it featureless). The seller partially stripped the lower down/removed the maglock and we did the DROS with the triggger group & buffer installed no grip, mag release, or stock.

I own a lower that has an internal maglock (w/ Patriot Pin). It's my understanding that I can't de-activate the maglock to make featureless because it was DROS'd as a complete lower/maglock when I bought it.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
From what I gather, you can't purchase in CA a complete lower with standard pistol grip unless it has a maglock device installed. When it's DROS'd it would be considered a 'fixed mag' lower.

In the case of my recent AR purchase, it was registered as a featured AR previously (w/maglock) and I wanted to be sure that it would not be registered as such going forward (it was planned to make it featureless). The seller partially stripped the lower down/removed the maglock and we did the DROS with the triggger group & buffer installed no grip, mag release, or stock.

I own a lower that has an internal maglock (w/ Patriot Pin). It's my understanding that I can't de-activate the maglock to make featureless because it was DROS'd as a complete lower/maglock when I bought it.
None of the above is correct.

No AW compliance issues on new only lowers. A lower is just a lower. Only thing to watch out for in CA is lowers are transferred as a rifle lower, unless transaction is exempt from the Roster and transferred as a pistol lower. Rifle lowers can only be used for future rifles and pistol lowers can be used for both. AW compliance is only an issue when attaching an upper.
Old 09-09-2021, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Post 10 is correct. Additionally, it is legal to switch from featureless to fixed mag & vice versa.
Old 09-09-2021, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Nope there is no reason to remove the pistol grip or stock to sell the lower legally. If it doesn't have an upper its not a centerfire rifle. FFL might make his own rules up though doesn't mean squat though find an FFL who knows the law.
Old 09-09-2021, 8:51 PM

OK, but please understand that I don't know what happens on the FFL side (how it's reported to CADOJ), I was buying a firearm that was 'featured w/maglock' and I wanted it to be converted over to featureless before taking posession of it. CA laws change from one day to the next and I didn't want to be stuck with a situation like the BB rifles when CA/CADOJ decides to change it's mind again. I figured the best way to send the LOWER through DROS was to strip all offending features and the maglock off of it.
Old 09-09-2021, 9:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you're in Northern California Bay Area, send me a PM. I'm looking to buy if You're not asking insane prices.
Old 09-10-2021, 9:23 AM

Quote:
OK, but please understand that I don't know what happens on the FFL side (how it's reported to CADOJ), I was buying a firearm that was 'featured w/maglock' and I wanted it to be converted over to featureless before taking posession of it. CA laws change from one day to the next and I didn't want to be stuck with a situation like the BB rifles when CA/CADOJ decides to change it's mind again. I figured the best way to send the LOWER through DROS was to strip all offending features and the maglock off of it.
I totally understand where you are coming from. But your original answer leaned towards you stating it was law. But man I get it itís hard to know what you are gonna get between different FFLS. All we can do is find a good shop that knows the laws.
Old 09-18-2021, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1911 View Post
Perfectly legal as described.