Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 04-16-2022, 8:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Another Winchester 70 joins the family

Seems I have a thing for Winchester 70 rifles. :-) Just this evening, another one joined the family. It is black with a plastic black riflestock, an XTR Sporter in .30-06. Came with Leupold STD scope bases, and I already have the scope for it (Redfield Revolution TAC-MOA in 3-9x40), so all I need now are rings and some time to sight it in.

Seems the previous owner was a guy's son who used it to harvest a few whitetails and didn't shoot it much, apparently only about 300 rounds through it. The barrel looks like it, too, nice and shiny. It looks like a rifle that's seen some use, but not abuse. This is reassuring. Trigger feels like it's bone-stock.

It appears to have been made some time in the mid-1990's in New Haven and is a push-feed type. It's your basic huntin' rifle, nothing "special" about it, it just works.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 04-20-2022, 5:49 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Any rifle addition is a good rifle addition!
Old 04-20-2022, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Can't go wrong with a Winchester 70 in 30-06.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 04-21-2022, 6:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Definitely can’t go wrong with a Winchester 70! My first rifle was a push feed Win 70 in 270 Win. Very accurate rifle and I still don’t know why I traded it, I did many stupid stuff in my younger adult life. I only have have one Winchester 70, an HBV model in 22-250 from the mid 90s. It’s my most accurate rifle.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 04-21-2022, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
Definitely can’t go wrong with a Winchester 70! My first rifle was a push feed Win 70 in 270 Win. Very accurate rifle and I still don’t know why I traded it.......
I have a 1977 push feed Model 70 in the ho-hum, boring, pedestrian caliber of .308. Despite being all but obsolete it is a proven killer, and I have a full freezer to prove it.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 04-22-2022, 5:19 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
I have a 1977 push feed Model 70 in the ho-hum, boring, pedestrian caliber of .308. Despite being all but obsolete it is a proven killer, and I have a full freezer to prove it.
Yep same here. I've got an old Model 70 Westerner in .243 that has fed a whole heckuva lot of people. Not sure how it works so well, with things like 6mm Creedmoor out there making it completely obsolete.
Old 04-22-2022, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

My late father-in-law bought the 30'06 caliber in '53, the year my wife was born. He never even used it.
I found it buried in a closet after he passed away. Mother-in-law said to get it out of the house, so I complied and put it in my safe.

Single fin mentality
Old 04-23-2022, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

NO Win model 70 is obsolete ! .308 & '06 forever !

Psalm 1
Old 04-24-2022, 6:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Still have my '61 FW in 30-06!!!
Old 04-24-2022, 10:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
NO Win model 70 is obsolete ! .308 & '06 forever !

Psalm 1
Had a friendly "argument" around the fire pit just last night about this. My friend was extolling the virtues of the 6.5CM as a hunting cartridge, and I was going on and on about the .308 and 30-06. He's in his 30's, I'm 65. It's a matter of perspective, and what you've grown up with. To me, 30-06 is a great round but "legacy" (I still use it), and .308 is the "New Kid on the block". I've tried 6.5CM, and I own one. But when I hunt, I grab either the 30-06 0r the .308.

On the other side of the pit, my another friend was all about the 280 Ackley Improved, and has the kills at yardage to back it up

Last edited by bigbossman; 04-24-2022 at 6:58 PM..
Old 04-29-2022, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Had a friendly "argument" around the fire pit just last night about this. My friend was extolling the virtues of the 6.5CM as a hunting cartridge, and I was going on and on about the .308 and 30-06. He's in his 30's, I'm 65. It's a matter of perspective, and what you've grown up with. To me, 30-06 is a great round but "legacy" (I still use it), and .308 is the "New Kid on the block". I've tried 6.5CM, and I own one. But when I hunt, I grab either the 30-06 0r the .308.

On the other side of the pit, my another friend was all about the 280 Ackley Improved, and has the kills at yardage to back it up
People who have hunted big game often, and had to track blood trails, will also tell your friend at the firepit that .30 caliber bullets are better than smaller diameter bullets for killing critters. Yes size does matter.
Old 04-29-2022, 6:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduracellbigd View Post
People who have hunted big game often, and had to track blood trails, will also tell your friend at the firepit that .30 caliber bullets are better than smaller diameter bullets for killing critters. Yes size does matter.
Well, yeah......'cept Jason is no newcomer to the game. He's a country boy and has killed a lot of big game. Gotta respect his opinion, and the truth is that a 6.5mm bullet is a killer. Just ask the Swedes.

Last edited by bigbossman; 04-29-2022 at 6:59 AM..
Old 04-30-2022, 12:28 PM
Calguns Addict

We got some pics. I was waiting until the scope rings arrived, and thus the scope could be mounted. This rifle, like most sold today, does not have back-up irons.

Based on the serial number, the rifle was made in the New Haven factory, apparently sometime around 1993 to 1994. The trigger feels like what it is, the standard, factory Winchester 70 trigger, made until 2006. That means, it ain't too bad. :-)

Thumbnails are clickable for the larger version.

First, the rifle itself, before the rings or scope. The base is a Leupold STD base, nothing exotic. As you can see, the chambering is the good ol' .30-06.

These are the rings I was waiting for. They are Burris Signature STD rings. I know, "made in China", right? Nope! I found these on FleaBay, specifically looking for any new old stock "made in USA" rings. And I found 'em. Yes, this sort of thing does matter to me.

So, yes, this is a 100% 'Murrican rifle package, as the FSM intended for all Winchesters to be.

And here is the rifle package all ready to take to the range and sight in. Those of you who've seen my posts in the "Optics" forum know that I love me some Redfields. This is the TAC-MOA version of the USA-made Redfield Revolution 3-9x40, possibly one of the best bang-for-the-buck bargains in riflescope-dom (sadly, Redfield as we knew it is no more as of last year). Both the turrets and the reticle are in MOA, so using it is pretty easy.

As Hickok45 says, "life is good."
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

Last edited by Cowboy T; 05-17-2022 at 6:57 PM..
Old 05-06-2022, 2:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a pre 64 06 barreled action…with period correct Swift fixed power scop that needs a new home.

Again…no stock. No idea what happened to the stock.

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
Seems I have a thing for Winchester 70 rifles. :-) Just this evening, another one joined the family. It is black with a plastic black riflestock, an XTR Sporter in .30-06. Came with Leupold STD scope bases, and I already have the scope for it (Redfield Revolution TAC-MOA in 3-9x40), so all I need now are rings and some time to sight it in.

Seems the previous owner was a guy's son who used it to harvest a few whitetails and didn't shoot it much, apparently only about 300 rounds through it. The barrel looks like it, too, nice and shiny. It looks like a rifle that's seen some use, but not abuse. This is reassuring. Trigger feels like it's bone-stock.

It appears to have been made some time in the mid-1990's in New Haven and is a push-feed type. It's your basic huntin' rifle, nothing "special" about it, it just works.
Congrats!

I had always wanted a Win 70 - I guess I bought into the marketing hype of "The Rifleman's Rifle!"

I finally got one a couple of years ago, a Featherweight in. 308. It is of the newer batch of Winchester when they went back to the pre-1964 style Mauser type action with the claw extractor. Such an elegant rifle. I paired it with a Leupold VX2, and it is a joy to shoot and handle.
Old 05-15-2022, 2:02 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I only have owned one model 70 in 7MM my nephew turned 18 12 years ago and said he always wanted it. Now he has a model 70……lucky kid.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:59 PM

I bought probably the last 70 featherweight model Winchester made in .280 Remington. I love the rifle and it’s very accurate. It will probably be my number 1 rifle this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D8B1C852-37C0-4BB6-BD4A-EF9B2BC31255.jpg (20.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by FISHNFRANK; 05-15-2022 at 1:04 PM..
Old 05-15-2022, 1:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I only have owned one model 70 in 7MM my nephew turned 18 12 years ago and said he always wanted it. Now he has a model 70……lucky kid.
You're too nice to be a moderator.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:11 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
You're too nice to be a moderator.
Harumph!
Old 05-16-2022, 8:41 PM

Nice OP. I have never owned a Winchester bolt gun. But, I do have my dad's M100 with a 3x9 on it. It's a great hunting rifle. And I've taken plenty of ground squirrels with it too. B.
Old 05-17-2022, 6:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks! Like I said, it's just a relatively plain-jane Winchester 70 with a synthetic riflestock. But I expect that it will do a good enough job. Now I've got to develop a couple of loads for it, one "mild" for the wife using H322 and a 150gr bullet, and one "full-house" for me using Superformance and 178-grainers. It'll be interesting to see what this rifle likes. I'm also planning to do cast bullet loads through the rifle.

I find that the post-facelift action, being the "less desirable" type of action, makes these rifles surprisingly affordable, especially compared to the controlled-round "Mauser-style" feeding. Makes it good for folks like us who, unlike politicians, are not made out of money.
Old 05-20-2022, 4:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I had one in .300 short mag. It was a nice rifle. Kind of a pain finding ammo for it but it would drop anything I hunted.
Old 07-19-2022, 8:11 PM
Calguns Addict

We actually have a Win 70 in 300 WSM on the used gun rack now (this is at the store). It's got a Bushnell Banner scope on it, unfortunately, but the rifle itself generally looks pretty nice. It is a push-feed action with a synthetic stock, much like mine has.

I've heard the .300 WSM cartridge does very well, and I'd imagine that it's effectively a handloader's proposition.