Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-20-2020, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

My daughter has friend caught in lockdown Wuhan China, she emailed, took 8 weeks from start of lockdown to see signs of normalcy. She also said do not have cavalier attitude about this virus, it's serious and deadly. At peak 4k per day new infections, highly contagious and NOT just another garden variety cold or flue.
Old 03-20-2020, 6:34 PM

The best defense against this virus is a strong immune system.

* Fruits and vegetables daily
* Generally healthy diet
* Stay Hydrated (should be #1)
* Excersize daily
* Plenty of sleep, it's when your body rebuilds
* A daily multi-vitamin if you're over 50

The biggest defense may be mindfulness and your ability to reduce personal stress.
Perspective is important. This isnt the end of the world. Just another chaptor in your life.
Old 03-21-2020, 8:41 AM

^^^ Great post
Best defense is a good healthy diet, hydration, clean hands, and a little exercise.

America is going to hit that ugly stage right now; with more and more infections thanks only to more and more testing. They were already out there now they are just being documented. I hope we peak quickly and get that curve into decline quickly.
Old 03-23-2020, 5:07 AM

From CNN...

US Surgeon General: "This week, it's going to get bad"
From CNN Health's Jacqueline Howard

Surgeon General Jerome Adams speaks during press briefing with the coronavirus task force, at the White House, Thursday, March 19. Evan Vucci/AP/FILE

US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams gave a "somber" message to the nation while speaking on NBC this morning,

"I want America to understand — this week, it's going to get bad," Adams told NBC's Savannah Guthrie, adding that some people have not been properly practicing social distancing.
"This is how the spread is occurring. So we really, really need everyone to stay at home," Adams said. "I think that there are a lot of people who are doing the right things, but I think that unfortunately we're finding out a lot of people think this can't happen to them."
Old 03-23-2020, 3:15 PM

CNN must have loved that; but he's right its going to get bad. Testing is now at hand; over 250,000 have now been tested in the US we have over 40k cases. Will be 100k by the time we get to Trump's 15 days of isolation.
Old 03-24-2020, 7:57 AM

Hereís some photos of McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas. These were taken by a family member thatís a Federal Air Marshall.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
-Abraham Lincoln-
Old 03-24-2020, 8:00 AM

From good friend and supplier in Shenzhen China..

I am a little worried about you....I read some news about the virus control in USA...

Feeling that what USA is doing is not enough....

In China, even if in Shenzhen today, wherever you go, you need to wear mask, and test the temperature, register in the entry point for the access record (logging ), and all the data are stored in a health tracking code; it is for everyone...

In this way, if anyone is reported with symptom, all the people ever contacted with him would be traced immediately and all these people will be quarantined for 14 days. This is a nationwide campain from Jan 24 to now.

The central city near my hometown which has the severe cases, used 54 days to control it, the 9 million people city( total 14 million, but 5 million went home during those days ), they obey the regulations like prisoners, and we have 42 thousand doctors, nurses, including 4000 military doctors from the army joined this war, and the mega city has more than 60 top level hospitals during peace time....together with newly built, new re-constructed hospitals via college dormitries, gym, exhibition halls.... Over 20,000 volunteers helped to find out the people who didn't take test, they visited every room of the city, checked every one....this checking process took 15 days !!! and after that, the turning point reached.

This is really a war !!

Stay safe !!
Old 03-24-2020, 11:43 AM

Difference between a free society and one that is not.
Old 03-26-2020, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
COVID-19 mapper developed by Johns Hopkins based on published numbers - https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

2/6/2020 at 10:43pm EST
31,472 confirmed cases
638 confirmed deaths

2/13/2020 at 9:13pm EST
64,422 confirmed cases (+32,950 since last week)
1,491 confirmed deaths (+853 since last week)

2/20/2020 at 9:33pm EST
76,164 confirmed cases (+11,742 since last week)(+44,692 last 2 weeks)
2,247 Total Deaths (+756 since last week)(+1,609 last 2 weeks)
18,440 Total Recovered

2/28/2020 at 5:03am EST
83,704 confirmed cases (+7,540 since last week)(+19,282 last 2 weeks)
2,859 Total Deaths (+612 since last week)(+1,368 last 2 weeks)
36,654 Total Recovered (+18,214 since last week)

3/5/2020 at 8:29pm EST
98,047 confirmed cases (+14,343 since last week)(+21,883 last 2 weeks)
3,354 Total Deaths (+495 since last week)(+1,107 last 2 weeks)
54,021 Total Recovered (+17,367 since last week)(+35,581 last 2 weeks)

3/12/2020 at 7:44pm EST
128,343 confirmed cases (+30,296 since last week)(+44,639 over the last 2 weeks)
4,720 Total Deaths (+1,366 since last week)(+1,861 over the last 2 weeks)
68,324 Total Recovered (+14,303 since last week)(+31,670 over the last 2 weeks)

3/20/2020 at 8:43am EST
246,275 confirmed cases (+117,932 since last week)(+148,228 over the last 2 weeks)
10,038 Total Deaths (+5,318 since last week)(+6,684 over the last 2 weeks)
86,036 Total Recovered (+17,712 since last week)(+32,015 over the last 2 weeks)
3/26/2020 at 9:31pm EST
531,708 confirmed cases (+285,433 since last week)(+403,365 over the last 2 weeks)
24,053 Total Deaths (+14,015 since last week)(+19,333 over the last 2 weeks)
122,203 Total Recovered (+36,167 since last week)(+53,879 over the last 2 weeks)

Here are additional sites providing numbers and information though I cannot talk towards the accuracy of them... I am just a consumer like the rest of you:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...hnk/index.html

https://www.cdc.gov/

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...ronavirus-2019

https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching

Last edited by TheChief; 03-30-2020 at 11:18 AM..
Old 03-26-2020, 7:38 PM

Colleagues. Fresh From China.

Interesting points shared in a group from a Zoom session with Dr. WenHong Zhang, the chair of the Society of Infectious Diseases of China Medical Association. There were about 7000 attendees, mostly United States listeners, including Stanford Health Care, Santa Clara County hospitals, and New York City hospitals. Here are some notes.

-Predicted number of cases in Shanghai with exponential growth was calculated to be nearly one million by March 1, but social distancing avoided this.

-Cases went down to zero or near zero by late-Feb, and there is now a small second wave from imported cases.

-Key to mitigating spread in Shanghai was doing diagnostic COVID test on every suspected case.

-All patients with positve COVID PCR were admitted to a designated COVID hospital regardless of their level of illness.

-Coinfection was very common with other respiratory bacteria and common cold viruses, and >50% patients were positive for a co-infection with a respiratory organism.

-False negative rate of COVID PCR even with two serial swabs was 10-30%! Next Generation Sequencing for COVID was used as the gold standard.

-RSV, Mycoplasma and Parainfluenza virus also caused similar bilateral CT findings to COVID. Molecular diagnostics was needed, and even two negative PCRs, for suspected cases on CT - they sent Next Gen Sequencing, a PCR to National Lab, a 3rd local PCR, and local PCR in another swab location (e.g. anal) (e.g. sent all 4) before they would r/o COVID.

-Mean incubation was 6.4 days, and patients were quarantined mean 5.5 days from symptom onset, with this approach the "curve" was 1 month in duration.

-Hydroxychloroquine is in a multicentre RCT in China and will be published "very soon".

-LDH and D-Dimer was associated with development of ARDS.

-He felt there is a narrow window between positive CT findings and deterioration to ARDS, where corticosteroids have been helpful and further studies are required to investigate this.

-Approxiatemately 5% of patients will need ICU level care, and mortality depends on availability of ICU.

-How to protect medical personnel - China protocol:

1) Standardized process in terms of patient care areas and flow.

2) PPE - double-layer gloves, double-layer shoe covers, isolation gown, masks, googles, etc. "The most important is to cover the head"

3) Positive pressure masks - for aerosol generating procedures.

Q&A:

-Time window until infection and test positive? 3d by PCR, and 7d by Serological.

-Who did you test? They abandoned risk factor criteria quickly and just tested anyone with symptoms.

-What is the best test? PCR is better than Antibody test for sensitivity. But the Antibody test is helpful, as PCR can have false negative by week 3. Antibody test is helpful to see the overall population prevalence in terms of patients with mild or no symptoms.

-Does viral RNA degradation of samples happen? Tests are done within 4 hours in China, or frozen at -20C otherwise there is increased false negative.

-What is risk for pregnant women? These cases were mild, and no severe/intubated cases were seen so far in Shanghai (no Wuhan data presented).

-What is the underlying medical conditions that are high risk? Heart disease do the worst - the virus causes myocarditis as well.

-What percentage of patients have antibodies? Every recovered patient tested have found to have antibodies on testing but it is unclear if these are actually protective.

-What is the dosge for hydroxychloroquine? 400mg bid x1d, 400mg po qd. They did not treat with azithromycin due to hepatotoxicity observed.

-What is the risk to health care workers? There were none of his colleagues who went to Wuhan to help that became infected with COVID, and this is attributed to PPE.

-What is the outcome of COVID survivors? Lung fibrosis is definitely less than SARS and most patients had a good long-term outcome.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:05 PM

They're lying about the numbers. I've read a few resources saying that they're still dying over there. This is out of China.
Old 03-27-2020, 5:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
They're lying about the numbers. I've read a few resources saying that they're still dying over there. This is out of China.
From someone well inside the cell carrier industry, I was told that Chinese cellphone subscribers reduced by 12 million. Iím assuming those 12 million people just decided to stop using cellphones? That sounds reasonable ...NOT.

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 03-27-2020, 5:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
From someone well inside the cell carrier industry, I was told that Chinese cellphone subscribers reduced by 12 million. Iím assuming those 12 million people just decided to stop using cellphones? That sounds reasonable ...NOT.
The number I've been seeing is 21 million.
Old 03-27-2020, 6:53 AM

Default actually its news

Someone inside the cellphone industry? Good enough for bloomie to report it:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...as-virus-bites

You need a subscription for the article above -headline says it all - 21 million subscriptions cancelled. Doesn't say how many new subscriptions it suggests a net loss of 21 million. If it was just deletions I'd say it matches normal death rates in China but then do the old really have cell subscriptions? No I think this is prudent information that confirms what most suspect - the impacts on China are in the millions of infections. Per million there will be 15,000 to 20,000 dead.

Quote:
Old 03-27-2020, 7:23 AM

I was able to read the article - cancellations from their factory workforce that wasn't able to return to work after Chinese New Year. Apparently many have 2 phones; 1 for home and the other for work.
Old 03-27-2020, 7:28 AM

Default agree

It is expected that many of these cancellations are due to stay at home demands, lack of income from work, not deaths or such. Of course a lot of tin foil people will think they all died. I tend to think it means a lot more infections then reported though. That also means more deaths then reported. China just can't be trusted so you need to try and work with what you can - like this stat. I like this figure / stat better then changes to the sulfer in the air suggesting bodies being burned - that was the tin foil rage of February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
I was able to read the article - cancellations from their factory workforce that wasn't able to return to work after Chinese New Year. Apparently many have 2 phones; 1 for home and the other for work.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
Someone inside the cellphone industry? Good enough for bloomie to report it:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...as-virus-bites

You need a subscription for the article above -headline says it all - 21 million subscriptions cancelled. Doesn't say how many new subscriptions it suggests a net loss of 21 million. If it was just deletions I'd say it matches normal death rates in China but then do the old really have cell subscriptions? No I think this is prudent information that confirms what most suspect - the impacts on China are in the millions of infections. Per million there will be 15,000 to 20,000 dead.
Yes, old Chinese have cellphones, China was about 5-10 years ahead of us in cellphones because 20 years ago it was much cheaper to pop up cell towers and MW hops than string millions of miles of twisted pair.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
The real question now - how much is China lying to the world?
All.

Old 03-27-2020, 1:06 PM

Quote:
I agree, but how many have dropped because they simply can't pay their phone bill? Not that you're wrong. You prolly hit the nail on the head.
Old 03-27-2020, 1:33 PM

Default never a full explanation

There is never going to be a full explanation on anything. All we can do is take in little bits of info and extrapolate from them. 21 million are no longer paying for cell. Some died. Some died of old age. Some lost income maybe because they aren't working. Some may be locked up for all we know.

1.5 billion Chinese. That means 20 million die each year, but with normal death rate there are children coming up so if all was "right" with the world the change in subscriptions for cell service really shouldn't change. HENCE it changed because not all is right with their world. 21 million less subscribers would not be consistent with a country that claims 82,000 cases of a viral infection that killed 2 or 3,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
I agree, but how many have dropped because they simply can't pay their phone bill? Not that you're wrong. You prolly hit the nail on the head.
Old 03-27-2020, 7:07 PM

I wonder if the hospitals euthanize the sick. It would be cheaper than treating them.
Mauserguy
Old 04-02-2020, 9:53 AM

Default Iran

In a very short window when Iran was reporting a number of infected they had a death toll that was like 80%; I could only conclude they were just executing those infected to prevent them from infecting others? Just a sick hypothesis but I never saw any other answer for such a high death toll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauserguy View Post
I wonder if the hospitals euthanize the sick. It would be cheaper than treating them.
Mauserguy
Old 04-02-2020, 6:19 PM

Quote:
COVID-19 mapper developed by Johns Hopkins based on published numbers - https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

2/6/2020 at 10:43pm EST
31,472 confirmed cases
638 confirmed deaths

2/13/2020 at 9:13pm EST
64,422 confirmed cases (+32,950 since last week)
1,491 confirmed deaths (+853 since last week)

2/20/2020 at 9:33pm EST
76,164 confirmed cases (+11,742 since last week)(+44,692 last 2 weeks)
2,247 Total Deaths (+756 since last week)(+1,609 last 2 weeks)
18,440 Total Recovered

2/28/2020 at 5:03am EST
83,704 confirmed cases (+7,540 since last week)(+19,282 last 2 weeks)
2,859 Total Deaths (+612 since last week)(+1,368 last 2 weeks)
36,654 Total Recovered (+18,214 since last week)

3/5/2020 at 8:29pm EST
98,047 confirmed cases (+14,343 since last week)(+21,883 last 2 weeks)
3,354 Total Deaths (+495 since last week)(+1,107 last 2 weeks)
54,021 Total Recovered (+17,367 since last week)(+35,581 last 2 weeks)

3/12/2020 at 7:44pm EST
128,343 confirmed cases (+30,296 since last week)(+44,639 over the last 2 weeks)
4,720 Total Deaths (+1,366 since last week)(+1,861 over the last 2 weeks)
68,324 Total Recovered (+14,303 since last week)(+31,670 over the last 2 weeks)

3/20/2020 at 8:43am EST
246,275 confirmed cases (+117,932 since last week)(+148,228 over the last 2 weeks)
10,038 Total Deaths (+5,318 since last week)(+6,684 over the last 2 weeks)
86,036 Total Recovered (+17,712 since last week)(+32,015 over the last 2 weeks)

3/26/2020 at 9:31pm EST
531,708 confirmed cases (+285,433 since last week)(+403,365 over the last 2 weeks)
24,053 Total Deaths (+14,015 since last week)(+19,333 over the last 2 weeks)
122,203 Total Recovered (+36,167 since last week)(+53,879 over the last 2 weeks)
4/2/2020 at 9:52pm EST
1,014,673 confirmed cases (+482,965 since last week)(+768,398 over the last 2 weeks)
52,973 Total Deaths (+28,920 since last week)(+42,935 over the last 2 weeks)
210,335 Total Recovered (+88,132 since last week)(+124,299 over the last 2 weeks)

Here are additional sites providing numbers and information though I cannot talk towards the accuracy of them... I am just a consumer like the rest of you:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...-20/index.html

https://www.cdc.gov/

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...ronavirus-2019

https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching

Last edited by TheChief; 04-06-2020 at 7:44 PM..
Old 04-02-2020, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Has anyone else seen the video of Chinese authorities welding and closing doors to apartments ?
Old 04-03-2020, 5:18 AM

I am wondering why the U.S. accounts for 1/4 of the confirmed cases in the world.

As I am writing this, of the 1,033,478 confirmed cases on the Johns Hopkins tracker, 245,601 are in the U.S.

Is it because:
-We are testing more?
-We are reporting it more or more accurately?
-We have more people infected?

And why do countries the size and population of Russia and India only have 4,149 and 2,567 confirmed cases respectively? Under reporting?
Old 04-03-2020, 6:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I am wondering why the U.S. accounts for 1/4 of the confirmed cases in the world.

As I am writing this, of the 1,033,478 confirmed cases on the Johns Hopkins tracker, 245,601 are in the U.S.

Is it because:
-We are testing more?

And why do countries the size and population of Russia and India only have 4,149 and 2,567 confirmed cases respectively? Under reporting?
More testing and accurate reporting
Old 04-03-2020, 2:14 PM

If China loses the same number of people as the entire population of the U.S. there are still a billion of them left.

Fortunately, this won't be the case (this time) due to the low mortality rate of Covid, developement of herd immunity and vaccines.

A blood test just approved by the FDA can identify those that have recovered from Covid and are carrying antibodies needed to develope a working vaccine.
This is the way out of the pandemic.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Is it because:

-We are testing more?

Itís because we acted on this late, let the virus get rampant in the community before we could do contact tracing, and then tried to rush out big testing. Bigger numbers but also bigger infections. More prolonged climb because of inadequate protection (PPE) for healthcare providers, who will spread the disease while asymptomatic.

Our testing numbers have finally gotten better, but trying to prevent the disease spread successfully like Singapore, Vietnam, South Korea, etc. is not possible because we acted late and didnít roll out early widespread testing.

Are numbers are higher than others because weíre reporting honestly. But we have more people infected than may places because of our poor response. Our healthcare system is also in worse shape than most first world countries so weíll see higher death percentages than many.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

And because China is lying...
ďThere's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.Ē
― Ayn Rand

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 04-08-2020, 11:16 AM

Default projection

Most view China as evil. I do at times. I try to take a step back from that and think maybe they are just inept, scared, or who knows what - anything but evil would be better. Evil sucks. If they are truly so evil as to have injured with world with intent then its a rough world ahead for the next few generations. So if its not evil, just inept, or fear I'd suggest they probably just stopped counting.

Using that report of them losing 2.1 million cell customers could be extrapolated to mean at least that many went into isolation with maybe half as man infected? If they lost 3% of those infections like we are right now it would mean 30-40k dead. If their rate of death was higher maybe 100k? Again more fear. And perhaps they just don't consider tracking numbers as important as we do? IDK...like I said I want to believe anything but 'evil" even though I know evil exists.

Quote:

Is it because:
-We are testing more?

Old 04-08-2020, 11:18 AM

Default fact

It would be silly and seriously deranged not to believe they lied to the world about their Chinese flu. The real question is why did they lie?

We're they afraid of the truth - fear?

We're they in denial? - also fear

Did they simply not care, nor do stats like we do? (inept)

Or are they evil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
And because China is lying...