Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2018, 3:07 PM

Default 9mm Range Ammo?

Hi, new to 9mm here, so where's the best Bay Area place to pick up 1000 rds of brass FMJ (115 or 124), the cheaper the better for range practice etc?

Is it cheaper to buy online and ship/transfer, or buy locally?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2018, 3:32 PM

If you have a Walmart that sells I would go there. My Walmart has 50rnds white box winchester for $8.50
Old 08-15-2018, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJD100 View Post
Hi, new to 9mm here, so where's the best Bay Area place to pick up 1000 rds of brass FMJ (115 or 124), the cheaper the better for range practice etc?

Is it cheaper to buy online and ship/transfer, or buy locally?

Thanks!
If you want cheaper range ammo, the best thing to try to get into is reloading. It's what most competitive shooters do because it's the most cost effective. Other than that, you can currently order and have it shipped to an FFL. The one I recommend is 29 outdoor gear in America Canyon. They don't charge extra fees to receive and pickup, usually just charge tax.

If your buying retail, Sportsman Warehouse has decent deals on bulk ammo.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brix View Post
If you want cheaper range ammo, the best thing to try to get into is reloading. It's what most competitive shooters do because it's the most cost effective. Other than that, you can currently order and have it shipped to an FFL. The one I recommend is 29 outdoor gear in America Canyon. They don't charge extra fees to receive and pickup, usually just charge tax.

If your buying retail, Sportsman Warehouse has decent deals on bulk ammo.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

This!

Reload or find someone locally to receive online purchases at a good price. California rent means that California retailers charge HIGH ammo prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-27-2018, 8:15 PM

I was under the impression that if you're shooting 9mm, reloading is not terribly cost effective.

I went down to Elite Armory the other day and bought 1000 rounds for $226. That's just buying normally. You can order comparable ammo for maybe $0.18/round, but when you add shipping and the fee from the transferring store, it's not going to work out that much better. Let's call the best realistic price $0.20/round.

I remember Hickock45 saying that the component price for reloading anything was going to be at least $0.16/round (or something like that). Consider that you've also got to make a capital investment in a press and such (and have space for it wherever you live). Now assign some reasonable value to your time. Are you making a profit?

I think it makes sense to reload, say, 45 ACP. Or hunting rifle ammo. But I'm not sure reloading 9mm just to save money per round makes sense.
Old 08-27-2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divert_fuse View Post
I was under the impression that if you're shooting 9mm, reloading is not terribly cost effective.

I went down to Elite Armory the other day and bought 1000 rounds for $226. That's just buying normally. You can order comparable ammo for maybe $0.18/round, but when you add shipping and the fee from the transferring store, it's not going to work out that much better. Let's call the best realistic price $0.20/round.

I remember Hickock45 saying that the component price for reloading anything was going to be at least $0.16/round (or something like that). Consider that you've also got to make a capital investment in a press and such (and have space for it wherever you live). Now assign some reasonable value to your time. Are you making a profit?

I think it makes sense to reload, say, 45 ACP. Or hunting rifle ammo. But I'm not sure reloading 9mm just to save money per round makes sense.

Depends on how many rounds you shoot - also if your picking up your brass or buying brass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-27-2018, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

While I agree with you that reloading 9mm isn't the most cost effective compared to other calibers, I disagree on the specific numbers. $226 for 1000 rounds is kinda pricey, even when it looked like an imminent clinton presidency the cost was still under $200/1000, and now it should be under $180 for new, commercial fmj.

Capital investment is a fixed cost, and for many people it's also a sunk cost in that they already bought a press & are loading other calibers. So the only marginal cost is the cost of dies & shell holder, $50 or so. Powders & primers are strictly a variable cost, but if someone already loads something similar then those costs have already been paid so it's also sunk. Brass...one could go cheap & scavenge the range floor or use their saved brass, or go expensive with new production Starline, and there's many options in between.

The real debate is the opportunity cost of someone's free time vs going to the store & picking up a case. If you make $30/hr & want to value your weekend the same way, then reloading is not for you. Neither is fishing (why spend a whole day sitting around & maybe have a fish when you could go to the store & for $9.99/lb be guaranteed a fish), cutting your own grass, working on your car, or cooking your own food.

But if you want to learn more about how & why your gun goes bang, or like tinkering around, or like spending time in your garage, then reloading can be "profitable".
Old 08-27-2018, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

Reloading 9mm is absolutely cost effective and after reloading awhile you will have accumulated a never ending lifetime supply of brass in almost all calibers you shoot.

I pay right around $125-130 for 1000 rounds of 9mm, 124 gran plated bullets. I can also taylor make the ammo the way I want it.
Old 08-28-2018, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
Reloading 9mm is absolutely cost effective and after reloading awhile you will have accumulated a never ending lifetime supply of brass in almost all calibers you shoot.

I pay right around $125-130 for 1000 rounds of 9mm, 124 gran plated bullets. I can also taylor make the ammo the way I want it.
agree,

if you're paying more than $0.15/round($150/1000) by reloading, you're doing something wrong.

115gr plated or coated bullets, range brass, and whatever primer/powder is on sale should come in at around $0.08-$0.11/round

With a savings of $0.05-$0.10/round, you should be able to pay off a basic Dillon setup in about 5k-10k rounds.
Old 08-28-2018, 1:59 PM

OP, buy online and have it transferred. Every few weeks, there's a sale on 1000 rounds of good brass-cased 9mm (Fiocchi, S&B, etc.) from Brownells for ~$170 shipped. After the $10 transfer fee and tax, that's ~$195.

While reloading is definitely cheaper, there is the cost of equipment, as well as time/effort. If you consider what your time is worth (i.e. if you get paid $40/hour, your time is worth $40/hour), it might be cheaper to buy new when you factor in the time it takes to collect/clean/reload, etc.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Richmond range sells Remington 115 gr - 250 packs for $75 out the door.. We have other ammo available for use at the range.. don't reload? We have Blazer aluminum for $13/50. Tax is included..

A lot of people go to the Big 5 up the road only to have us tell them that we have the same ammo for less money.
Old 10-14-2018, 8:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I would just order online and find an FFL that will receive it. There are some around that will do it for no charge.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:28 AM

Or get your 03FFL and COE and buy online and shipped direct to you. Some will sell to you at wholesale price with a 03FFL. I get 9mm RN reloads for 1k/$167.00 with shipping direct to me. And .223 for 1k/$256 shipped.