Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-05-2021, 2:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Broke down and got a Magpul stock for my 10/22 takedown

Had some issues with the takedown feeling too tight or too loose. Resulting in inconsistent POI, even with adjusting it as tight as possible.

Originally was not planning on modding the 10/22 apart form the cheap red dot and bolt release. Well broke down and got a Magpul X22 backpack stock and the X22 optic mount to get the rds mounted to the barrel for consistent POI.

Anyway turned out the issue was the locking block that was loose, but oh well ended upgrading it anyway. Will see how well it holds zero in the long run, but seems like a nice upgrade.

Overall seems like a solid upgrade.

Old 09-05-2021, 4:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice set up, I always wondered if there would be problems maintaining the zero of a red dot on the take down models.
Old 09-05-2021, 5:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Excellent..!!

I love that Magpul mount…I have mine on a FDE magpul.

Because of my bad eyes and astigmatism I went with a Holosun 810C Gr
Green display. I am very happy with that Holosun…..

Be well
Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 09-05-2021, 5:26 PM

22s are supposed to be inexpensive. Yes, until you get a 10/22 and then it becomes one of the most expensive guns you'll ever own..

It started out with an optic, then a stock, a barrel, a trigger, buffer, new pins, new optic mount to match the new adjustable stock and then ...
You can have it one way or the other; you can have it both ways; you can have it every way but not always.
Old 09-05-2021, 8:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
Nice set up, I always wondered if there would be problems maintaining the zero of a red dot on the take down models.
Not really been an issue till the last few months. Of the locking block is tight and takedown set screw is set, it works pretty well with minimal shift in POI. Just slingshot the bolt a few times after assembly.
For me the POI shift was not really noticeable.

Anyway it is upgraded now and will see how it does. Zeroed the red dot this weekend and liked the setup. Added a KIDD buffer, but don’t think it made a big difference.

Anyway it has been a fun rifle that I sometimes shoot out to 100yds, but tgat gets challenging with no magnification.
Old 09-05-2021, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

When the ammo shortage really took off I got back into shooting rifle rimfire again. In short order I picked up a Radicle Firearms 10/22 clone, a Ruger American and a Ruger precision, but all those have either a 3x9 or a 3x12 optic on them. The only rimfire I’m missing is a take down 10/22 with a red dot, looking for a blued/black one just hard to find right now.
Old 09-06-2021, 8:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A stable of 22s are good to have, though 22 ammo has been pricey and harder to get lately. At least 10/22s don’t seem very picky with ammo.

Doing 1” or better groups at 25 yds with a red dot is very doable. Had minimal shift with different ammo or takedown/reassembly till the block got loose. 50 yds is doable, but things get rough for me at 100yds with this setup.

The takedowns are great for taking care of places and offhand shooting. Looking forward to using mine more, hopefully will be dialed in now.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Is the lockup so inconsistent that you need the dot to be on the barrel?
Old 09-06-2021, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
22s are supposed to be inexpensive. Yes, until you get a 10/22 and then it becomes one of the most expensive guns you'll ever own..

It started out with an optic, then a stock, a barrel, a trigger, buffer, new pins, new optic mount to match the new adjustable stock and then ...
Still boggles my mind that the Kidd trigger I installed cost almost as much as what I paid for the 10/22 itself. Can't call it the most expensive, but it still pains me sometimes that I spent more money upgrading it than on the gun itself and it came out a couple Jackson's more expensive than my CZ 455 after the fact.
Old 09-06-2021, 6:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdha603 View Post
Still boggles my mind that the Kidd trigger I installed cost almost as much as what I paid for the 10/22 itself. Can't call it the most expensive, but it still pains me sometimes that I spent more money upgrading it than on the gun itself and it came out a couple Jackson's more expensive than my CZ 455 after the fact.
Those Kidd triggers must be amazing, my Rad 10/22 came with the BX Ruger trigger and I think it’s fine won’t bother upgrading it. I really don’t think I’ll upgrade it at all, came with everything I think I’d put on a stock 10/22. Match barrel, upgraded bolt, built in pic rail, upgraded free floating stock and pepper pot compensator. Less then $550 out the door, put a 3x9 BSA-22 optic on it and been very happy with it. Shoots great even with cheap bulk box ammo.

Old 09-06-2021, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
Those Kidd triggers must be amazing, my Rad 10/22 came with the BX Ruger trigger and I think it’s fine won’t bother upgrading it. I really don’t think I’ll upgrade it at all, came with everything I think I’d put on a stock 10/22. Match barrel, upgraded bolt, built in pic rail, upgraded free floating stock and pepper pot compensator. Less then $550 out the door, put a 3x9 BSA-22 optic on it and been very happy with it. Shoots great even with cheap bulk box ammo.

Mine came out to about the same price minus the match barrel; the Kidd trigger in anodized aluminum had a 3-lb single stage trigger, with an auto-bolt release pre-installed, and at least compared to the Ruger factory triggers I've fired it felt like a night and day difference. It took me shooting a couple magazines through it before I had to admit the price was justified.
Old 09-06-2021, 8:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Is the lockup so inconsistent that you need the dot to be on the barrel?
If the locking block is loose, then yes. Of you adjust the set screw tight and the locking block is tight then the POI shifts very little with takedown and reassembly. Just slingshot the bolt a few times.
In my case the locking block under the front stock/handguard was loose. Didn’t know till I got the new stock, etc.
Old 09-09-2021, 5:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdha603 View Post
The 10/22 has become the proverbial standard for the "because I can" philosophy.

The 'expensive' part, however, isn't necessarily the upgrades in-and-of themselves. It's the multiple 10/22's you buy (because they are affordable), then add upgrades to that creates the expense.
Old 09-16-2021, 6:08 PM

I just started my 10/22 journey. A range I want to teach at only allows .22. Kept changing my mind so wound up with a 10/22 Tactical that I am customizing the heck out of, a Tacsol takedown in red and a Ruger takedown that will have a magpul backpacker stock swapped in.

The 10/22 now has a UTM Picatinny rail, Tacsol bull barrel, Timney trigger and is waiting on a Magpul stock due to the .920” bull barrel.

Something that I didn’t see documented anywhere is that there is a 1/4” pin just behind the bolt in the receiver. It dropped out unnoticed when I pulled the action from the Ruger stock. Bad mojo without it installed!

UPDATE: This is called a “bolt buffer pin” and mine falls out.

NRA/DOJ/ILEETA instructor, NRA RSO, Journalist

Last edited by ronlglock; 09-17-2021 at 7:13 AM..
Old 09-16-2021, 7:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
I just started my 10/22 journey. A range I want to teach at only allows .22. Kept changing my mind so wound up with a 10/22 Tactical that I am customizing the heck out of, a Tacsol takedown in red and a Ruger takedown that will have a magpul backpacker stock swapped in.

The 10/22 now has a UTM Picatinny rail, Tacsol bull barrel, Timney trigger and is waiting on a Magpul stock due to the .920” bull barrel.

Something that I didn’t see documented anywhere is that there is a 1/4” pin just behind the bolt in the receiver. It dropped out unnoticed when I pulled the action from the Ruger stock. Bad mojo without it installed!
Sounds like a fun build!

Are you referring to the bolt buffer pin?
Mine is pretty tight and needs a punch to tsp it out. I have swapped it with a KIDD unit that has been working pretty well. Makes shooting HV ammo a bit smoother.
Old 09-17-2021, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNGGlock View Post
Sounds like a fun build!

Are you referring to the bolt buffer pin?
Mine is pretty tight and needs a punch to tap it out. I have swapped it with a KIDD unit that has been working pretty well. Makes shooting HV ammo a bit smoother.

Yup. Bolt buffer pin. Mine just falls out.

Last edited by ronlglock; 09-17-2021 at 8:41 AM..
Old 09-17-2021, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

i have a takedown lite and was thinking about a new stock, but haven't decided yet...
Old 09-17-2021, 7:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
Yup. Bolt buffer pin. Mine just falls out
Same here.

Have to hold the receiver steady to keep it from falling especially on reinstalling to the stock.

Old 09-17-2021, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
i have a takedown lite and was thinking about a new stock, but haven't decided yet...
There are 2 Magpul takedown stocks available: Hunter and backpacker. The Backpacker has room for 3 spare mags while the Hunter has a lot of personalization options.

Old 09-17-2021, 8:47 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Excellent..!!

Be well
Bob

[
Bob, what rear sight is that? And are you able to see under/through the mount and still use the irons if you need?

I may have to check out one of these mounts...

Old 09-17-2021, 10:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Bob, what rear sight is that? And are you able to see under/through the mount and still use the irons if you need?

I may have to check out one of these mounts...
Sir
The Magpul barrel came standard with the fixed sight. Adjustable.
Red in back, a green optic piece of plastic up front but that part was missing per the photo below.
Regardless, yes you can see thru the hole below the site but to me it’s like
looking thru a straw. lol. Emergency only and would be easier to pick up
with that missing green plastic fiber that’s missing.

I like the Magpul takedown mount. About $60.
Be well

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 09-17-2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Excellent..!!

Be well
Bob

That's Cool Nice!!