Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-15-2010, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchbaby View Post
Ron's class was good, but every time I call to try and get a date for a refresher, he always seems to be out of town.
He was out at Sac Valley giving a classs last Sat. He also on the Sac Valley Calendar for range 5a ,18/19 Dec 10 and 8 Jan 11.
http://www.sacvalley.org/calendar.html

Last edited by Me1; 12-15-2010 at 7:24 PM..
Old 12-16-2010, 7:47 AM
Calguns Addict

I have also head that Ben Glau comes highly recommended. I was considering maybe taking a few shooting classes at the local gun range as well just(lincoln) to increase my shooting proficiency with my two newest guns.

Last edited by Coded-Dude; 12-16-2010 at 7:53 AM..
Old 12-16-2010, 9:34 AM

If your in Lincoln, PM me... I'll take you to a private shooting spot..... you'll even live to tell the tale... LOL... Seriously though, let me know if you want to go.
Old 12-16-2010, 9:34 AM

If your in Lincoln, PM me... I'll take you to a private shooting spot..... you'll even live to tell the tale... LOL... Seriously though, let me know if you want to go.
Old 12-16-2010, 9:36 AM

Default ***Denied***

Just talked to Elaine B. whom is the secretary for both Captain Hutchinson and lieutenant Mittensander. She stated that she sent a denial on 12-13-2010 Lack of character "based on the penal code stating I must have a clean driving record". I spoke to Jessica as well, she stated she would email my application and included documentation. I will email you once I receive the application and denial WildHawker.

I feel like I was just rob for $210...

Last edited by thatrogue; 12-16-2010 at 10:02 PM..
Old 12-16-2010, 9:36 AM

Default ***Denied***

Duplicate Post Sorry please delete

Last edited by thatrogue; 12-16-2010 at 10:03 PM..
Old 12-16-2010, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coded-Dude View Post
I have also head that Ben Glau comes highly recommended. I was considering maybe taking a few shooting classes at the local gun range as well just(lincoln) to increase my shooting proficiency with my two newest guns.
If your in Lincoln, I got a better place, but it's private property. I might be willing to let you come out if your 1911 is what I think it might be! PM Me.
Old 12-16-2010, 9:38 AM

Default ***Denied***

duplicate Post sorry please Delete

Last edited by thatrogue; 12-16-2010 at 10:02 PM..
Old 12-16-2010, 9:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If your in Lincoln, I got a better place, but it's private property. I might be willing to let you come out if your 1911 is what I think it might be! PM Me.
I actually live in Roseville again, but Lincoln is the closest place I know of(i used to live there)to shoot. I've been meaning to find a BLM spot close to home so I can shoot more during the week(without travelling too far). Just gotta order a map. I'll send you a PM in a bit.

Besides the land between Sunset and Twin Bridges east of the highway(which is no longer accessible, or legal, because of development), the only spot I know of around here is past Camp Far West's north shore, but I have never actually been to that spot.
Old 12-16-2010, 9:59 AM

Something is jacked today with posting on Calguns.

As for being robbed, technically they only stole $191 from you. I would ask for a refund for whatever they are willing to give back, being that your likely also out the Livescan fee.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:16 PM

I have donated very little CGF, however considering my denial today I became one of the many sponsors of Placer. Thanks to GGF and Wildhawker for this killer initiative.

PayPal logo Dec 16, 2010 11:24.48 PST
Transaction ID: 36T9515099140734K
Hello XXXXX XXXXXX,

You sent a payment of $XXX.00 USD to The Calguns Foundation (paypal@calgunsfoundation.org)

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.
Merchant
The Calguns Foundation
paypal@calgunsfoundation.org
650-275-1015 Instructions to merchant
You haven't entered any instructions.
Shipping address - confirmed
XXXXX XXXXXX
XXXX XXXXXXXXX XX
Roseville, CA 95747
United States
Shipping details
The seller hasn’t provided any shipping details yet.
Description Unit price Qty Amount
Carry License Reform & Sunshine Initiative - Individual (Name Credits) County Sponsorship
Item# 2825855_9878012 , Option: Placer $XXX.00 USD X $XXX.00 USD
Subtotal $XXX.00 USD
Total $XXX.00 USD
Payment $XXX.00 USD
Charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *CALGUNSFDN"
Payment sent to paypal@calgunsfoundation.org

Invoice ID: 1162497029

Last edited by thatrogue; 12-16-2010 at 10:18 PM..
Old 12-17-2010, 5:46 PM

Received the denial today, the reason as stated is laughable... "Background must be beyond reproach". It oddly feels good to at least know I'm denied, rather than waiting with anticipation.

Last edited by thatrogue; 12-17-2010 at 11:49 PM..
Old 12-17-2010, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatrogue View Post
Received the denial today, the reason as stated is laughable... "Background must be beyond reproach". It oddly feels good to at least know I'm denied, rather than waiting with anticipation.
That's what mine said. Believe me... church going, Cub Mastering, and a crime free background all overlooked for traffic citations... really gets me wondering what we would see if we dug into these guy's backgrounds.

I'm just sayin'.
Old 01-09-2011, 6:19 PM

So, when do we effectively put Sheriff Bonner on notice that we want a new policy or a new candidate in the next election?
Old 01-10-2011, 8:04 AM
Calguns Addict

well he ran unopposed, so we'd need to find somebody willing to compete.
Old 01-10-2011, 3:06 PM

Quote:
well he ran unopposed, so we'd need to find somebody willing to compete.
Have you applied yet? You may find that Sheriff Bonner is quite reasonable in his issuance.
Old 01-10-2011, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
Have you applied yet? You may find that Sheriff Bonner is quite reasonable in his issuance.
If he were so reasonable, most of us wouldn't be here. I have applied, and have been denied for the same reason as thatrogue.

Do you think he was reasonably declined. Your comments earlier would not suggest that you do.

We are two years away. When is it the right time to start looking?
Old 01-10-2011, 3:49 PM

Quote:
If he were so reasonable, most of us wouldn't be here. I have applied, and have been denied for the same reason as thatrogue.

Do you think he was reasonably declined. Your comments earlier would not suggest that you do.

We are two years away. When is it the right time to start looking?
I didn't have an opinion either way, I just thought he had a good chance of receiving it. Then I went back and read that he had 4 tickets in 60 days. That's a lot of LE contact in a short period of time, do you not agree?

I try not to have an opinion on matters like this, because you only ever have one side of the story. Just because a person says "I only have x on my record" doesn't always mean they're not presenting the facts in their favor.

I personally believe Placer is pretty fair about CCW issuance, but I will also say my data sample size is admittedly small.
Old 01-10-2011, 4:34 PM

Quote:
I didn't have an opinion either way, I just thought he had a good chance of receiving it. Then I went back and read that he had 4 tickets in 60 days. That's a lot of LE contact in a short period of time, do you not agree?

I try not to have an opinion on matters like this, because you only ever have one side of the story. Just because a person says "I only have x on my record" doesn't always mean they're not presenting the facts in their favor.

I personally believe Placer is pretty fair about CCW issuance, but I will also say my data sample size is admittedly small.
You make a good point. I sometimes forget that I have been digging into Placer County CCW issuance practices for almost 2 years now. This however does include the time I spent researching issuance practices prior to my application and subsequent denial. With the first hand details I have picked up on both sides, it starts to show a pattern of something that smells of the sea.

This isn't the appropriate place to disclose the details and I don't expect you to take my word for it, but for what it may be worth to you, I have done my homework. Most that Calguns leadership is well aware of and some that is just for me to know to lead me down other roads of research for later.
Old 01-11-2011, 3:44 PM

Quote:

Remember Anti-hero two of the contacts are as a result of a cell phone. It's isn't even required to be listed on the application. I'm not a prohibited person and have damn good cause. I have never had cuffs placed on me, never even had a at fault accident, and the only leo contact I have had is traffic related... and a neighbor that didn't like an old car that I was restoring, calling the police every so often.

Bottom line is at minimum I was overcharged $195 by Placers backwards process, and at worst I was wrongfully denied.

Old 01-11-2011, 8:31 PM

While I agree, cell phone infractions are pretty minor, they're still "contact" and that is the problem. The more contact you have with deputies and officers, the greater the possibility of something going sideways.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong. I'm just playing devils advocate.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
While I agree, cell phone infractions are pretty minor, they're still "contact" and that is the problem. The more contact you have with deputies and officers, the greater the possibility of something going sideways.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong. I'm just playing devils advocate.
No worries thats the point of the forum.

Speeding tickets and moral character IMHO have nothing to do with one another. I drive for a living, it is a statistical improbability for me to never be ticketed, I drive four times as many miles as Joe average. The other issue is calling this a character issue is questionable just on the basis that everyone (75%+or-) at some frequency speed it's just luck whether or not your the one to get pulled over.

The tickets I have listed on the app.

1. towing missing 1 out of 2 chains ......... 3 years ago
2. towing over 55mph (67 if I remember correctly) .......... 2 years ago
3. 80 mph in 65 zone ....... 6 months ago
4. 52 mph in 40 mph (1/4 mile section of east roseville prky) the rest is 45-50 ....... 4 months ago

Old 01-12-2011, 6:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No worries thats the point of the forum.

Speeding tickets and moral character IMHO have nothing to do with one another. I drive for a living, it is a statistical improbability for me to never be ticketed, I drive four times as many miles as Joe average. The other issue is calling this a character issue is questionable just on the basis that everyone (75%+or-) at some frequency speed it's just luck whether or not your the one to get pulled over. The tickets I have listed on the app. 1. towing missing 1 out of 2 chains ......... 3 years ago
2. towing over 55mph (67 if I remember correctly) .......... 2 years ago
3. 80 mph in 65 zone ....... 6 months ago
4. 52 mph in 40 mph (1/4 mile section of east roseville prky) the rest is 45-50 ....... 4 months ago
Between your name and this information I'm getting a picture of you that sez, "Uh oh, this guy just may be a bit of a loose cannon on the deck."
Old 01-12-2011, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
Between your name and this information I'm getting a picture of you that sez, "Uh oh, this guy just may be a bit of a loose cannon on the deck."
I've had some run ins with this character (OK, by run ins I mean shallow and somewhat meaningful conversations... but nonetheless...) as a result, loose cannon is not a way I would describe him.

Take me for instance... Cubmaster, clergy, father of 4, insurance agent, never arrested, formerly an EMT, no traffic citations for over 2 years... and even at that, the last one was dismissed cause the citing officer decided he was in the wrong and notified the court.

Still, I was denied cause somehow I am thought of by our current sheriff to be a dangerous character who is lacking in moral character as a result of my traffic history.

The remaining tickets on my record are nothing more than 65 in a 65 while towing down a hill, tailgating at traffic hour (in other words... everyone was guilty at the time, I was just the easiest one to pull over) and blowing a stop sign while driving 5 mph for over a block cause I was hopelessly lost and was so worried about finding my way out of suburbia that the stop sign literally went unnoticed (not proud of that mistake... but I was in the middle of a crappy sacramento neighborhood, I was literally getting a little freaked out that I stuck out like such a sore thumb... I was actually a little relieved to find the cop... LOL... he was able to give me good directions to get out of there)

None of these paint the picture of a loose cannon, however, Placer has a strict low to no tolerance of traffic citations, no matter who you are or what the circumstances of them are, even if they are all dismissed... PERIOD.

Is that unreasonable? Do our neighbors with 3 or 4 tickets and a CCW in Butte County have wild west shooting spree's? So many questions and only one answer: GET A NEW SHERIFF!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:04 PM

I have watched a bit and figured I'd throw in my 2 pennies.

I get the premise that if one can't follow traffic laws then one could be considered a bit loose in the eyes of the law when it comes to a car. I get that they see a car as a large weapon and thus frown upon traffic citations.

The problem I have is it seems like they look at your good cause reason first. If that's fine by them then they look at your driving record. If that's blemished even in the smallest way (fix it tickets, ca stops, etc) they immediately form an opinion against you which I think is very wrong.

They give people badges and guns and powers of the law with such infractions and sometimes worse which in my opinion should be held to a higher standard than a citizen attempting to exercise their God given right to bear (concealed) arms and protect at the very least themselves.

This is a democracy and if we don't like the way our elected officials are doing business then we need to have them kick rocks for someone who will adhere to the policies we want. Just my opinion and I don't know much
Old 01-12-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC VET View Post

I get the premise that if one can't follow traffic laws then one could be considered a bit loose in the eyes of the law when it comes to a car. I get that they see a car as a large weapon and thus frown upon traffic citations.

The problem I have is it seems like they look at your good cause reason first. If that's fine by them then they look at your driving record. If that's blemished even in the smallest way (fix it tickets, ca stops, etc) they immediately form an opinion against you which I think is very wrong.

They give people badges and guns and powers of the law with such infractions and sometimes worse which in my opinion should be held to a higher standard than a citizen attempting to exercise their God given right to bear (concealed) arms and protect at the very least themselves.

This is a democracy and if we don't like the way our elected officials are doing business then we need to have them kick rocks for someone who will adhere to the policies we want. Just my opinion and I don't know much
Your absolutely right.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC VET View Post

No dude... you know plenty.
Old 01-13-2011, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I guess I'll wait a bit longer before applying. Thanks for the info fellas.
Old 01-13-2011, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoologan View Post
I guess I'll wait a bit longer before applying. Thanks for the info fellas.
Brandon, Do you have an opinion at the present time on waiting vs. applying to be denied for character?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Can someone in Placer close to the Sheriff's Office who doesn't mind rolling up their sleeves do some legwork for us? I have an idea.
Been waiting for word on this. I have a warm body who can go in and do this whenever you let us know what you want to request.

Also, I am ready to do some of the other stuff we discussed.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Just talked to Elaine B. whom is the secretary for both Captain Hutchinson and lieutenant Mittensander. She stated that she sent a denial on 12-13-2010 Lack of character "based on the penal code stating I must have a clean driving record". I spoke to Jessica as well, she stated she would email my application and included documentation. I will email you once I receive the application and denial WildHawker.

I feel like I was just rob for $210...
Did you get a refund yet?
Old 02-15-2011, 1:55 PM

I've been so pissed off about this for the last month all I have done is called to request an appeal. I was told they would only take the request by mail. Anyone out there wanna help formulate this appeal?

Old 02-15-2011, 2:23 PM
Calguns Addict

we still need a business sponser don't we. now that SBR is in Placer we should hit em up.
Old 02-15-2011, 6:30 PM

Quote:
I've been so pissed off about this for the last month all I have done is called to request an appeal. I was told they would only take the request by mail. Anyone out there wanna help formulate this appeal?
I can give it a try, but we all know how mine went. Heck... I even had the blessing of the Gene and the Brandon with mine.

Placer is a tough nut bro.

Last edited by pitchbaby; 02-24-2011 at 1:11 AM..
Old 02-16-2011, 8:33 PM

deleted......

Last edited by dartbrandx; 02-23-2011 at 9:33 PM..
Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 AM

........Deleted?

Last edited by pitchbaby; 02-24-2011 at 1:11 AM..
Old 02-17-2011, 5:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartbrandx View Post
I feel like I just threw my application money away here too. I went in for my interview the beginning of feb. I just got a call from lieutenant Mittensander asking me why I didn't disclose the fact that I was arrested for something I did when I was 17. The bad part was, I was not arrested, I was questioned at my school and after that, I went back to class. I was never handcuffed or brought anywhere. (just sat in the principals office). I don't want to go into detail here. I made a small mistake and was caught for it. (stole a walkman from a store I worked at) The detectives that questioned me at school made me produce it and I did. I went back to class and they left. I was cited (I think, I truly can't remember what happened)for it a few months later at a meeting at the probation dept. I think it was the probation dept...I can't remember and there was never any probation from it or anything. I made a mistake and that was that. That happened 24 years ago. I have had no contact with LE since then. Not even a speeding ticket. This was brought up in the interview with the retired sheriff. He seemed satisfied with my explanation. I got fingerprinted, signed the ccw and paid the fees. However during the phone call with lieutenant Mittensander I got the impression that he did not believe what I was saying or atleast didn't like my response to it. He stated that the application asked if I was EVER arrested and why I answered no. I explained to him exactly what happened that day. I don't think he believed me. At the end of the conversation, he said thank you, I will send my recommendation to the captain and that was that.

This was yesterday afternoon. I've been consumed by this phone call. I'm thinking of calling him back and talking with him some more and trying to lobby my case. I just didn't get a good feeling.

I just don't know what to do.
A few things: A) I would ask for the source of the data they're talking about, so you can verify through court records if you were convicted of anything. Once you find out that detail, if you were just arrested and not convicted of anything/pled guilty, they just committed a crime.

Why? Look up Business and Professions Code 461:

No public agency, state or local, shall, on an initial
application form for any license, certificate or registration, ask
for or require the applicant to reveal a record of arrest that did
not result in a conviction or a plea of nolo contendere. A violation
of this section is a misdemeanor.
This section shall apply in the case of any license, certificate
or registration provided for by any law of this state or local
government, including, but not limited to, this code, the
Corporations Code, the Education Code, and the Insurance Code.

Just sayin, folks. Sometimes the stuff that helps you isn't in the penal code.....

-Gray
Old 02-17-2011, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

Hmm...

I just turned in my app yesterday and am now more concerned that I will be denied after reading some of the posts regarding traffic violations. I only have two in the last 5 years, 4 since I got my license at 16 (now 28). I have nothing on my record, nor anything that happened and didnt get charged for.

I was really surprised though when I turned in my app; they said someone cancelled their appt and I was able to take the open slot next week! 6 days wait vs 6 weeks wait to get the interview appointment. That worked out well.....I hope I can keep up the momentum in the interview!

Wish me luck
Old 02-17-2011, 7:23 AM
Calguns Addict

good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-17-2011, 8:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
good luck and keep us posted.
Will do, thanks.