Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2018, 8:23 AM

Default Minimum age law on Jan 1, 2019 (FFL transfers only)

So Jan 1, 2019 is the date that you need to be 21 to buy any type of firearm unless you have a hunting license and want a long gun.

Does this apply to intrafamilial as well? My daughter turns 18 the first half of January and she has an AR that is "hers" but in my name since she is currently a minor. Having trouble finding the actual text of the law as passed/signed.

I was planning on transferring it to her on her birthday (it's featureless) but not sure if that was still an option.

With Newsom becoming governor on Jan 7, I am hoping to get the rifle into her name before he has time to sign anything new. I figure it will take him a few weeks at least before he starts really stirring the pot.

Also, is it worth having it in her name with the potential new laws Newsom would like to have? More trouble than it's worth?
Old 11-07-2018, 8:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Even now, 18 year olds can NOT buy just any long gun. They can only purchase "rifles" and "shotguns". There are plenty of non rifle and non shotgun long guns out there.

To answer your question, this ONLY applies to purchases going through CA FFLs. So, when your daughter turns 18, you can still give her any legal firearm including handguns. If you gave your daughter her AR prior to 2014(?), it didn't need to go through an intrafamiliar transfer since, CA DOJ would not accept it but, it was still legal to gift it to her. If you purchased said AR prior to 2014, it's not "in your name" or anyone else's name. It simply is not in the CA AFS unless you did a vol reg, AW reg, LEGR, personal importer form, etc.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 11-07-2018, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Even now, 18 year olds can NOT buy just any long gun. They can only purchase "rifles" and "shotguns". There are plenty of non rifle and non shotgun long guns out there.

To answer your question, this ONLY applies to purchases going through CA FFLs. So, when your daughter turns 18, you can still give her any legal firearm including handguns. If you gave your daughter her AR prior to 2014(?), it didn't need to go through an intrafamiliar transfer since, CA DOJ would not accept it but, it was still legal to gift it to her. If you purchased said AR prior to 2014, it's not "in your name" or anyone else's name. It simply is not in the CA AFS unless you did a vol reg, AW reg, LEGR, personal importer form, etc.
Its not that old, so it is in my name. That part I am well aware of.

I just could not find the text to read if it was new purchases only, any FFL processed transfer or any/all transfers.

Thanks for the info
Old 11-09-2018, 4:37 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
I just could not find the text to read if it was new purchases only, any FFL processed transfer or any/all transfers.

Thanks for the info
Starting 01-01-2019...

Penal Code 27510
(a) A person licensed under Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, shall not sell, supply, deliver, or give possession or control of a firearm to any person under 21 years of age.
(b)(1) Subdivision (a) does not apply to or affect the sale, supplying, delivery, or giving possession or control of a firearm that is not a handgun to a person 18 years of age or older who possesses a valid, unexpired hunting license issued by the Department of Fish and Wildlife.
(2) Subdivision (a) does not apply to or affect the sale, supplying, delivery, or giving possession or control of a firearm that is not a handgun to any of the following persons who are 18 years of age or older:
(A) An active peace officer, as described in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her employment.
(B) An active federal officer or law enforcement agent who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her employment.
(C) A reserve peace officer, as defined in Section 832.6, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her employment as a reserve peace officer.
(D) A person who provides proper identification of his or her active membership in the United States Armed Forces, the National Guard, the Air National Guard, or active reserve components of the United States. For purposes of this subparagraph, proper identification includes an Armed Forces Identification Card or other written documentation certifying that the individual is an active member.
(E) A person who provides proper identification that he or she is an honorably discharged member of the United States Armed Forces, the National Guard, the Air National Guard, or the active reserve components of the United States. For purposes of this subparagraph, proper identification includes an Armed Forces Identification Card or other written documentation certifying that the individual is an honorably discharged member.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 11-20-2018, 9:15 PM

Intrafamily transfer. She will need her fsc card and a 19 dollar check to doj