Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:49 AM

Default Binocular suggestions please!

We are looking for a nice set of binoculars for camping and bird viewing. We have a small OLD pair of Zeiss that we love but now we want something for longer distances.
Camp is always in the same place and we want glasses that can view animals from roughly 1000-1400 yards.

Suggestions? Not afraid to pay for good quality but not much a fan of gimmicks and marketing. Can you suggest some quality glass?

Thanks!!
Old 10-01-2018, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I would suggest a spotting scope and tripod for those distances. What is your budget? You could range from a $200 Konus or Celestron to a $5,000 Swarovski.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-01-2018, 12:33 PM

Budget is $300-$1000.

These are for an older gentleman who is set in his ways. I don’t think I can talk him into a spotting scope or a tripod.

Will a good set of binoculars at least get us to 1000 yards that could clearly watch dogs running around at such a distance?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-01-2018, 12:36 PM

For that distance a spotting scope is the best choice. Even if you end up with super powerful binocs, you'll need a tripod to hold them.

When checking out spotting scopes, check out Pentax. They're glass is superb, they use astronomy sized eyepieces, and they're reasonably priced. Many have compared them favorably to Zeiss, Swarovski, etc.

For binocs, check out Leupold. And if you are considering Vortex, make sure the focus adjustment isn't loose and sloppy. Many are.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 10-01-2018, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Get image stabilized, it's incredible and makes a huge difference. Canon 15x50 would be awesome, 12x36 are much lighter and should be great too.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...123+4294956487

I have the Canon IS 8x, planning to get the 10x42 waterproof soon.
Old 10-01-2018, 1:51 PM

He won’t go for anything electronic/stabilized.

If we lower expectations a little, would a good pair of binocs see well at 800-1000 yards or is that still asking too much without a tripod?

Thanks again
Old 10-01-2018, 2:07 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I use zeiss conquest's in 8x42 for the past 4-5 seasons and before that a pair of Leica's for nearly 20 years. I would have bought 10x but the eye relief is too small so that I would have to take off my glasses each time I view through them. If I was buying binos for under 1k I would look at zeiss and vortex razors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 10-01-2018, 5:00 PM

Look closely at the Meopta Meopro and Meostar lines. Eurooptic carries them and they are supposed to perform well above their price. My next binocular purchase will be from them.
Old 10-01-2018, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyincali View Post
He won’t go for anything electronic/stabilized.

If we lower expectations a little, would a good pair of binocs see well at 800-1000 yards or is that still asking too much without a tripod?

Thanks again
It's virtually impossible for an old man to hold any binoculars steady enough to view at 1000 yards. It's also unlikely he'll be able to make out much with the low magnification offered by most binoculars. If he tries to hold up large objective high magnification binoculars, I'll guarantee he'll drop it in a few seconds due to weight.

That's why people are recommending a tripod.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 10-01-2018 at 8:22 PM..
Old 10-01-2018, 8:34 PM

Give maven a look you won't be disappointed.

Richard
"This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Liberalism is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.”
unknown
Old 10-01-2018, 8:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
It's virtually impossible for an old man to hold any binoculars steady enough to view at 1000 yards. It's also unlikely he'll be able to make out much with the low magnification offered by most binoculars. If he tries to hold up large objective high magnification binoculars, I'll guarantee he'll drop it in a few seconds due to weight.

That's why people are recommending a tripod.
I agree. 1000 yards is a way off and seeing dogs would be tough enough but birds? He will need large binoculars with serious magnification. The greater the magnification, the greater any wobble will appear. The bigger the binocular, the heavier they will be and the more likely they will be to wobble.
Get a tripod and your friend will enjoy the viewing from a comfy chair and have a ball.
Old 10-01-2018, 8:41 PM

In 2000 I purchased a pair of Zeiss Victory’s 10 Power new for $1000. Now they are $2500. I bought the Vortex Razors in 10x50 three years ago($1100.) instead of the Swarovski EL. They were half the price and almost as good. Last year hunting I could not tell if the buck had a forked horn at 150 yards with the Vortex. I am looking at the Swarovski EL 12x50 now to make up for a poor decision three years ago. You can always put the binoculars on a tripod. Top tier glass is $2500 in any brand. Zeiss Conquest is better then Vortex except in the warranty. No one can beat Vortex in warranty at the moment. My Lica spotting scope in 2000 was brighter then my new Swarovski 20x80 spotter. Mid price Zeiss Conquest is worth looking through. Give me Victory’s or EL’s or give me death.
Old 10-26-2018, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyincali View Post
Budget is $300-$1000.

These are for an older gentleman who is set in his ways. I don’t think I can talk him into a spotting scope or a tripod.

Will a good set of binoculars at least get us to 1000 yards that could clearly watch dogs running around at such a distance?

Thanks for the reply!
find a set of 15x binos, the good ones will be $1,500.00 range, next shelf down about $1,000.00. I hear the Cabelas labeled are excellent and slightly discounted.
Old 10-26-2018, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
In 2000 I purchased a pair of Zeiss Victory’s 10 Power new for $1000. Now they are $2500. I bought the Vortex Razors in 10x50 three years ago($1100.) instead of the Swarovski EL. They were half the price and almost as good. Last year hunting I could not tell if the buck had a forked horn at 150 yards with the Vortex. I am looking at the Swarovski EL 12x50 now to make up for a poor decision three years ago. You can always put the binoculars on a tripod. Top tier glass is $2500 in any brand. Zeiss Conquest is better then Vortex except in the warranty. No one can beat Vortex in warranty at the moment. My Lica spotting scope in 2000 was brighter then my new Swarovski 20x80 spotter. Mid price Zeiss Conquest is worth looking through. Give me Victory’s or EL’s or give me death.
I have been running the Conquests for binos and scopes for a while, The scope has been superb even in near dark, The binos have been superb but as mentioned when you need that tiny little bit of info a ways out there the second shelf product doesn't deliver. My next bino purchase will be the compact zeiss victory for my wife, can't wait to look through those.
Old 10-26-2018, 1:50 PM

Leica's for the win. Check pawn shops or other sources for used one.
Old 10-26-2018, 4:18 PM
CGSSA Associate

8 or 10 power with a mono pod or go 15 with a tripod. Both set ups make for easy glassing.
Old 10-30-2018, 1:53 AM

Steiner poro prisms, Predator Pro 12x by 50. A bit heavier, but much cheaper and just as clear / bright as the more expensive roof prisms. I'd put mine against my Zeiss, and any other glass anyday, so long as weight isn't concern. Friends, and many guides have been dumb-founded at just how clear edge to edge and how bright they are. They are that impressive and only cost around $350'ish if you look hard enough.
Old 10-30-2018, 5:47 AM

I would highly recommend a pair of Swarovski's. At 1000 to 1400 yards inwould go with the BTX spotting scope by Swarovski with their 1.7 magnifier.

If you need Binos then go EL class fro Swarovski. To save Money go with their 15x50 SLC model. Don't skimp on glass , so buy then best. I swear by Swarovski!

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 11-08-2018, 12:03 PM
CGSSA Associate

Binos higher than 12x you're going to need a tripod, 12x is hard to keep steady and view for long periods of time without some sort of eye strain. 8x seems to be the optimal choice for many though I use 10x for hunting out west.

There are many great choices out there but binos are sort of a personal choice, feel, adjustments and what you see when looking through them. My friend loves his Zeiss but for my eyes, they prefer the view through Swaro's with the larger sweet spot and colors that pop, Leica too! Around 1k, Vortex Razors are similar to Swaro's, for the price Meopta HD's are excellent. I recommend you go to Cabelas, Bass Pro or where ever to check the binos out for yourself before purchasing, if you can view them outside... even better.

As many have said 1000+ yards is a long ways out there. How good do you want to see the game, bodies then 8x or 10x will do, if you want to count bones and points just big enough to hang a ring.... you'll probably need higher power... and a tripod.

If it's mostly birding, 7x or 8x, call it a day.

Good luck!

Last edited by zio707; 11-08-2018 at 12:07 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 6:49 PM
Calguns Addict

In your price range, nothing can touch a meostar.