Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-19-2018, 4:43 PM

Default Changes to Your Carry Firearms due to New CCW Law?

What are you planning to do?

Some have 3+ weapons on their license. Would you cull that down to 3, or requalify with all of your handguns when renewal time comes around?

Curious what others are thinking.

I plan on keeping the status quo.

Shield .40
S&W 642 .38
Sig P238 .380
Old 11-19-2018, 5:40 PM
retired Goon

No changes to what I currently do.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 11-19-2018, 5:50 PM

I’ve just done the amendment for my ccw, nothing change...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2018, 5:58 PM
Veteran Member

If you worry about being able to qualify with a gun then I wouldn’t put in on a ccw. I do plan on making a change to change out a LC9 (which is just a terrible gun) with a different gun as I just never touch the LC9 outside to Fire it occasionally to stay comfortable with that terrible trigger.
Old 11-19-2018, 6:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Other than the tedium, is there any reason you wouldn't want to qualify with all of your carry guns?
Old 11-19-2018, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

For OC, it is 20 rounds per gun for each additional firearm. Not much of a burden, about 30 seconds per gun for a couple of mag dumps. Especially if you load up the mags before arrival at the range.
Old 11-19-2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Other than the tedium, is there any reason you wouldn't want to qualify with all of your carry guns?
I am not a police officer. I am not in the military.

Why, exactly do I need to qualify to carry a firearm when other states pass "constitution carry" laws?
Old 11-19-2018, 8:40 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My county limits to 3.
If I were unlimited, I would probably list 5 and continue to do so under the new law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-19-2018, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterimage View Post
I am not a police officer. I am not in the military.

Why, exactly do I need to qualify to carry a firearm when other states pass "constitution carry" laws?
Okay, your "answering a question with a sarcastic question" tells me you're probably not actually here for discussion, but I'll humor you here. Let me try and figure this out -- are you mad that you have to qualify at all, or are you mad that you have to qualify with more than one pistol?

Additionally, did you have to qualify at all in your county in order to get your CCW? I had to qual in OC, so I assumed it was the same statewide.
Old 11-19-2018, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
For OC, it is 20 rounds per gun for each additional firearm. Not much of a burden, about 30 seconds per gun for a couple of mag dumps. Especially if you load up the mags before arrival at the range.
Right. And honestly, if drilling 20 rounds into a fist-sized group at a 7 yard target is in ANY way difficult or problematic for someone, then that says more about the person's complete lack of shooting ability than it does about the problems of mandatory qualification. That kind of person should be at a "baby's first pistol" class, not at a CCW qual.
Old 11-19-2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Okay, your "answering a question with a sarcastic question" tells me you're probably not actually here for discussion, but I'll humor you here. Let me try and figure this out -- are you mad that you have to qualify at all, or are you mad that you have to qualify with more than one pistol?

Additionally, did you have to qualify at all in your county in order to get your CCW? I had to qual in OC, so I assumed it was the same statewide.
I'm here for discussion.

I went through the process. Background checks, one on one interviews with local LEO, etc.

It is NOT the same statewide.

Hmmmm....
Old 11-19-2018, 9:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterimage View Post
I'm here for discussion.

I went through the process. Background checks, one on one interviews with local LEO, etc.

It is NOT the same statewide.

Hmmmm....
Got it. I believe in constitutional carry, as you also seem to. But I also believe that a person who carries a gun should take it upon themselves to get as much trigger time as humanly possible. So I didn't mind having to qual with each of my guns for my county, and I find it a little odd that anyone would balk at getting that much more trigger time in.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Got it. I believe in constitutional carry, as you also seem to. But I also believe that a person who carries a gun should take it upon themselves to get as much trigger time as humanly possible. So I didn't mind having to qual with each of my guns for my county, and I find it a little odd that anyone would balk at getting that much more trigger time in.
It is wasted trigger time. Qualifications are not training. If one thinks the amount of “trigger time” during the qualifications helps with one’s abilities then one needs to get out to the range more.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
It is wasted trigger time. Qualifications are not training. If one thinks the amount of “trigger time” during the qualifications helps with one’s abilities then one needs to get out to the range more.

Oh, okay.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Right. And honestly, if drilling 20 rounds into a fist-sized group at a 7 yard target is in ANY way difficult or problematic for someone, then that says more about the person's complete lack of shooting ability than it does about the problems of mandatory qualification. That kind of person should be at a "baby's first pistol" class, not at a CCW qual.
It's difficult and problematic because most ranges charge for this. My range makes me buy their ammo and targets to qual. Just another time and expense for exercising a constitutional right. Death of 1000 cuts. For the record, I carry 40 and it's generally expensive, so I handload and don't like buying overpriced retail range ammo because some ahole liberal politico in Sacramento had a circle jerk with Jerry Brown. YMMV.

Be sure to add CRPA as your charity in Amazon Smile. $#!thead Bezos canceled it.

Last edited by Guninator; 11-19-2018 at 11:32 PM..
Old 11-20-2018, 6:50 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I think we are all on the same team here guys... or at least should be.

As far as qualifying with a weapon I am going to carry, well I for sure wouldn't carry a weapon that I had not at least "self qualified" with and I'll be most of you feel the same. There's no way I'm going to walk into public with a loaded weapon meant for self defense with a gun I've never even put a box of shells through, but hey that's me.

As far as being required to qualify with it, well it sucks that not everyone is going to take the time to get familiar with a weapon system, but I suppose not everyone has that luxury either, I really don't know. What I do know is this... During my qualification there was a woman about 65 years old that possible had never fired a gun before in her life. Her weapon choice? Yeah, a 2" J-frame revolver that some jackass at Turners told her was a "great CCW weapon." She was literally missing the B27 by three feet from 5 yards away and I am willing to bet there are folks right here on this site that would do just as poorly with a snub-nose revolver fired DA only.

Do 2nd amendment regulations suck? Yeah, all of them suck. But at least in this case I can rest a little more assured that the good folks at the range worked with her for about 20 minutes to get her at least hitting a human sized target from 15 feet away and gave her some numbers and some strong advice to get further training. I am glad she navigated the hoops to get her CCW, she like all other law abiding citizens should be able to carry. And I am glad if she ever has to use that thing there's at least a slightly better chance of her hitting her attacker rather than shooting someone across the street in the belly.

I am all for constitutional carry, but out of all the stupid restrictions we have in this state asking folks to get a little trigger time isn't the battle I'd choose to fight.
Old 11-20-2018, 8:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I think we are all on the same team here guys... or at least should be.

As far as qualifying with a weapon I am going to carry, well I for sure wouldn't carry a weapon that I had not at least "self qualified" with and I'll be most of you feel the same. There's no way I'm going to walk into public with a loaded weapon meant for self defense with a gun I've never even put a box of shells through, but hey that's me.

As far as being required to qualify with it, well it sucks that not everyone is going to take the time to get familiar with a weapon system, but I suppose not everyone has that luxury either, I really don't know. What I do know is this... During my qualification there was a woman about 65 years old that possible had never fired a gun before in her life. Her weapon choice? Yeah, a 2" J-frame revolver that some jackass at Turners told her was a "great CCW weapon." She was literally missing the B27 by three feet from 5 yards away and I am willing to bet there are folks right here on this site that would do just as poorly with a snub-nose revolver fired DA only.

Do 2nd amendment regulations suck? Yeah, all of them suck. But at least in this case I can rest a little more assured that the good folks at the range worked with her for about 20 minutes to get her at least hitting a human sized target from 15 feet away and gave her some numbers and some strong advice to get further training. I am glad she navigated the hoops to get her CCW, she like all other law abiding citizens should be able to carry. And I am glad if she ever has to use that thing there's at least a slightly better chance of her hitting her attacker rather than shooting someone across the street in the belly.

I am all for constitutional carry, but out of all the stupid restrictions we have in this state asking folks to get a little trigger time isn't the battle I'd choose to fight.

Great post. It’s amazing what some people will find ways to complain about.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 AM

I think a few of you missed OP's question. In San Bernardino, in the past, we were required to qualify on the handguns on your permit, one time. Only needed to qualify again if you wanted a different gun on your permit. The new law requires you to re-qualify every two years on all handguns on your permit. I think he wants to know if anyone is going to change their rotation due to the new requirement to shoot them all again.
Old 11-20-2018, 1:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpc View Post
I think a few of you missed OP's question. In San Bernardino, in the past, we were required to qualify on the handguns on your permit, one time. Only needed to qualify again if you wanted a different gun on your permit. The new law requires you to re-qualify every two years on all handguns on your permit. I think he wants to know if anyone is going to change their rotation due to the new requirement to shoot them all again.

Right. It seems like people’s opposition to this is out of laziness more than anything. It should be absolutely trivial to go and qualify with your CCW guns, especially considering a conscientious CCWer should already be putting in hours and $$ each month for training anyways. Instead of doing your typical training routine for one month, just go qualify that month instead to satisfy the government. Easy peasy. This isn’t a discussion about whether or not you should have to qualify at all, because that ship his already sailed and we don’t really have a say in the matter now.

Old 11-20-2018, 4:26 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I understand, and it's a fair question... but several posts seemed (to me) to indicate that asking people to qualify at all was an unreasonable infringement. I'm not here to argue that point, as I said I think all infringements are unreasonable at the core because I truly feel the motivation is disarmament rather than public safety. But that notwithstanding, of all the infringements we deal with I think the qualification thing is pretty minor by comparison. Ask me to vote yes or no on the requirement, I am a no every time... but that one issue just isn't one I'd take up the cross for.

Now as to the question posed, I wouldn't let the requirement to qualify with my weapons sway my decision one way or the other. It's way too important of a choice IMO to let a box of shells stand in the way. I currently have a G19, G43, and a full size 1911 on my card. At renewal here I am dropping the 1911 in favor of either a commander sized 1911 or a G29SF. I've carried the government model twice in two years, obviously there are better options for me.

And my renewal is up in February and my class is in January, SBSD has not as of yet told me I need to re-qualify with my currently listed weapons.
Old 11-20-2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Yes. This is exactly what I'm asking about. I have absolutely no quarrel with initial qualification. I think that should be mandatory.

My question is to people who have 5, 6 or more firearms listed on their license. Do you intend to re-qualify with all, or thin the herd?
Old 11-20-2018, 7:37 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Well this has been posted in the other thread about the new CCW training laws.

I have had a California License to Carry A Concealed Firearm (as my current license is printed) in Humboldt County for over 20 years.

As seen from the old form above from 2005, in Humboldt County we have always had to re-qualify with our up to 3 listed weapons every two years. This has been the same, as the new standard signed into law recently.

If I were allowed more listed weapons, I would have no issue with firing them when renewing my license. Of course I am proud of my range scores, even while standing stationary firing at a slow pace in an indoor range.

For many of my renewals in the past, I used a different instructor who is now deceased, and we did our training at an outdoor range. There I was able to fire while moving in different directions and different positions, rapid fire/ double taps, and shared with the group why I was so aggressive with my shooting style.

One time a comment was made after my turn of shooting aggressively at the multiple targets, after the instructor gave his permission/ requested me to quickly kill the enemy - that I must have been angry that morning. I explained to two older women there that made the comment during the training session: "that if you are threatened to where you fear for your life or bodily injury and as a last resort you have to use your weapon, to make sure you end the threat as soon as possible".

For those who bring up Constitutional Carry, or it is a waste of time to have to go to the range once every two years, I have seen several people during training that I would not trust with a firearm. Having to re-qualify with 25 rounds per weapon may be the only training or firing of weapons that these folks will ever get in 2 years.

In Oregon to get a Resident or as in my case a Non-Resident Concealed Handgun License, you can show as proof of training a military DD-214, a Hunters Safety Certificate, or a NRA pistol training course paperwork for firearm competency.
Old 11-20-2018, 7:45 PM

Sadly, after being able to carry for over 20 years, I now live in an area where it isn't quite feasible due to politics (Bay Area). Hopefully that will change. When it does, I have at least 3 guns that I would still plan to carry.
Old 11-21-2018, 3:46 AM
Veteran Member

No change.. Riverside County has always made you qualify with every gun on your permit. I’ve seen several people weeded out, and like said above by ACfixer, they were given guidance, told to get training, and come back next month for re-qualify. I think if you ask anybody who’s gone through Riverside County, qualifying is probably the least burdensome portion of the process, and if done through the Sheriff, range day was actually somewhat pleasant.

Hell, one girl had never even opened the case to her gun when she came in. RO’s taught her how to load it and fire in a safe manor, where to put the sights, and she passed with flying colors. Sure I support constitutional carry, but if I have to spend a couple hours at the range to appease the slave owners, I’ll take my license.

Last edited by 9mmContagion; 11-21-2018 at 3:49 AM..
Old 11-21-2018, 10:18 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Since Ventura County Sheriff loosened his issuing policy back in 2014 we've had to qualify with each gun listed so no change here. The new Sheriff has stated he doesn't plan on changing the CCW policy other than possibly making it more streamlined.

I'll swap out one of the guns on my CCW (XD-9) for another Beretta but other than that nothing will change.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 11-21-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
During my qualification there was a woman about 65 years old that possible had never fired a gun before in her life. Her weapon choice? Yeah, a 2" J-frame revolver that some jackass at Turners told her was a "great CCW weapon." She was literally missing the B27 by three feet from 5 yards away and I am willing to bet there are folks right here on this site that would do just as poorly with a snub-nose revolver fired DA only.omeone across the street in the belly.
True. All of it.
I sometimes carry a 2" (isn't it 1.75"?) S&W snubby as a CCW gun. It is indeed a "great CCW weapon." In fact, concealed snubbies have been carried by detectives and mobsters alike more than any other gun. So if you are a woman pulling cash out of the ATM, and a dude jumps into your bubble and tries to grab it from you, the snubby is suberb as it can be fired out of the pocket even. Nothing to do but point and pull the trigger. But a snubby with heavy DA trigger isn't a gun suited for a shootout with a gang across the street. I myself have to focus tremendously at qualifying in order not to mess up with it. Compared to my Sig 238, which shoots like a dream, or even the Shield, the snubby is a nightmare as a precision weapon over longer distances, by its very design. We all know that, but the rules are the same, and we all have to be able to show that we are proficient with the guns we carry. I can live with that.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:41 AM

These laws come from politicians that we vote for. Ultimately the most powerful they we do is vote. People should get firearms training and should educate themselves before voting. Any requirements or restrictions should be the same for both. Myself, I shoot regularly competing several times a month. I try to educate myself on political matters but could do a better job of it.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:36 PM

No limit in my county but I just have two listed. Of those I have only carried one of them for the last 6 years. I'm glad to have the option of adding as many as I want but I see no need to.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:47 PM

Nothing about the new law changes the way things are/were done in my county, but I will add this.

At least once a month, I fire a few mags/cylinders through my CCW guns as a matter of staying proficient and comfortable with all of them. So no, I don't feel like it's a burden or any trouble to have to re-qual with any/all guns on my permit card.

This is of course, in addition to my regular range time, etc.
Old 11-28-2018, 8:53 PM

I'm still waiting to see what the new rules will be. My IA has only required one gun on the range, 50 shots, and safe handling - no scoring. That will have to change. I currently have five Glocks, a Shield, a snubbie, and three 1911s on my permit. The Shield gets carried the vast majority of the time, with three of the Glocks getting the rest. If my IA decides it's one mag/gun, I'll probably renew them all - but a 500 round qualification might get a bit tedious. If I dropped to the guns I actually carry away from my property, it will just be four.