Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-15-2019, 8:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

I received the registration letter yesterday from the DOJ, after reading these posts I feel fortunate to have a quick turn around after the initial email from DOJ.

Submitted 6-30-18
Incomplete notice 1/07/19
Email confirmation 2/22/19 (1 more correction)
Subumission Confirmation 2/25/19
Letter Received 3/14/19

Last edited by Glocked@45; 03-15-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Old 04-04-2019, 1:52 PM

Received submission confirmation email this morning on one outstanding firearm that needed the model name changed. Is it still taking about two weeks to get the registration letter in the mail from this point?
Old 04-08-2019, 2:29 PM

So the strangest thing just happened. I registered two receivers and check the receiver only box and got a rejection letter 6 months later asking for pics of a assembled rifle with serial numbers. So I just sat on it. Fast forward 6 more months to today I received a email from CFARS stating they received my registration and will notify me by mail. Has this happened to anyone else.
Old 04-08-2019, 3:47 PM

I still have 5 showing "In Progress".
Old 04-10-2019, 1:18 PM

7 "in progress" applied in May last year...
I've received no less than 9 requests to make changes since submitting and all were corrected within the same day.
This is just embarrassing...

DOJ Firearms AW processing unit (916)227-7527 then selections 7 and then 3 on the phone tree menue. Friendly staff when you use sunshine in your voice.

Last edited by gunrun45; 04-11-2019 at 12:19 PM..
Old 04-11-2019, 3:45 AM

Registered July 2018. Received registration letter April 2nd.
Old 04-11-2019, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd511 View Post
Registered July 2018. Received registration letter April 2nd.
I assume you mean June, because July was after the registration period ended for RAWs.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:06 PM

So, my address has changed. When I registered, I lived in an apartment in a different town. Now I live in a house I've bought.

My status is 'In Progress'. I'm EXTREMELY reluctant to just update my application while in this status (afraid I'll be shuffled back to the bottom of the queue). Does anyone have any suggestions for this type of situation?

This whole thing is ridiculous.
Old 04-11-2019, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear58 View Post
So, my address has changed. When I registered, I lived in an apartment in a different town. Now I live in a house I've bought.

My status is 'In Progress'. I'm EXTREMELY reluctant to just update my application while in this status (afraid I'll be shuffled back to the bottom of the queue). Does anyone have any suggestions for this type of situation?

This whole thing is ridiculous.
mail forwarding will buy you 6 more months
Old 04-11-2019, 1:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blauplow View Post
mail forwarding will buy you 6 more months
Have you ever used mail forwarding from the USPS? 40% of my mail would not get forwarded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 05-01-2019, 5:21 PM

I just got my last email notification today.

Just the wait for the paperwork to arrive in the mail remaining.

Took 2 months roughly for them to review it, where they asked the question is your stock fixed or collapsable. Stock in question is an ACE M4 Billet Stock. All I’m thinking is how these guys processing the app’s are complete idiots.
Old 05-02-2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.F. View Post
I just got my last email notification today.

Just the wait for the paperwork to arrive in the mail remaining.

Took 2 months roughly for them to review it, where they asked the question is your stock fixed or collapsable. Stock in question is an ACE M4 Billet Stock. All I’m thinking is how these guys processing the app’s are complete idiots.
Idiots because they are doing the slow walk on purpose?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:31 AM

Final update on mine. Submitted in May of 2018. Final letter with all returned as registered on April 30th, 2019. By far this is NOT the 1st registration process I've been through...

As an aside comment that might not be appreciated here, but I'll say it anyway...

I have known those working at DOJ for 40+ years. I remember when CA DOJ Bureau of Firearms were truly "gun guys". Several were noted writers for Guns and Ammo and Shooting Times over the years. They loved their jobs and how it offered sharper teeth in the investigations of organized criminal street crime, murder investigations, serial killers, rapists, child molesters, etc... Adding time to a POS's schedule so they could protect society was at the heart of it. AND, frankly there were/ are some very folks illegally manufacturing guns in CA with some VERY bad intentions. I'm talking about making machine guns for terrorists in their basements kinda bad, not finishing a lower receiver with their kids as a bonding project. But most of those folks are gone now... The passage of time has moved them to different places....

Politics has taken over so much and this department has been GUTTED over the years. Intentions have been twisted by what is politically savvy.

It was evident from interacting with whatever poor soul had to review my paperwork that they didn't know much about guns or the registration process. Frankly I'm sure that whatever small group of folks were tasked to process the paperwork had their own turn over and issues. Honestly, I feel bad for them. I'm sure they thought they would be doing the world some good by doing their jobs, not shuffling paper.

We are all frustrated. As time passes, frustration grows. Serious crimes that have real impact go uninvestigated and resources are squandered on political polys while good people waist their talents and our society regresses. It breaks my heart as someone who has bled for this state and the safety of its citizens...

I love this state. I have sacrificed many years to keeping it safe as did the generation that came before me.

I don't like the laws... I haven't since I was a pup and an attorney general held up one of MY guns that he BORROWED from me and stated that "these are the guns that kill". That rifle had only killed pine cones and tin cans. Its been used for most of its life to train law enforcement and has NEVER fired a shot in anger. But dam, it sure was dramatic on TV...

I'm tired of the games... I'm tired of the politics...
I want my state back and the ability to let my kids play in my front yard without fear. I'll obey the law because I respect every man and woman who wears a badge. Not because I respect my politicians.

My guns will continue to be used for education and training purposes as most of mine have for my adult life.

Last edited by gunrun45; 05-14-2019 at 10:39 AM..
Old 05-14-2019, 12:05 PM

My wife just got all 5 lumped into one email. Spouses must only have to do the background scrutiny only instead of everything.
Old 05-26-2019, 7:54 AM

I got an email may 10th confirming my submission, and got the letter confirming registration on friday. I got my new serial numbers assigned june of last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.
Old 05-29-2019, 4:05 PM

Both me and my wife received our registration paperwork in the mail Saturday
Old 06-01-2019, 8:19 PM

I submitted registrations for myself, my wife, and our adult son who lives at home - registering the same guns to all three of us. My wife and I received emails 9 or 10 months later asking us to "correct" some errors (none of which were actually errors - I'd just provided more complete and accurate model descriptions than were stamped on the receivers). They weren't consistent in their requested corrections between my wife and I - even though all the original information was identical. Anyway, I made the "corrections" (which, I think, only consisted of deleting some information) and re-submitted. No email was received at that time regarding our son's application. Fast forward a couple of months, and we received our completed registration letters in the mail, but nothing for out son. I logged onto his email (unfortunately, I'd used an email address he rarely checks), and he'd also received notices that he needed to make corrections. It is now well past the 30 days allowed. Does anyone know how strict they are about that? I'm hoping they will still allow him to complete his registration, since (1) the errors they asked us to correct aren't actually errors - just additional correct information, and (2) there were some technical and other issues that made monitoring his email difficult the past few months. It seems like if they are going to take over 9 months to process an application (during which time people may change ISPs or email addresses), they should at least send a letter or something.

Has anyone tried to submit corrections after the 30 days allowed? Any suggestions on how to approach this? I tried to log onto CFARS and make the corrections for him (he's out of town), but couldn't get in, so I'll need to contact the DOJ on Monday about this.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:04 AM

Submitted: June 2018
Had some resubmission stuff : They're archived somewhere but I dont remember the time stamps..
Registration Approved: March 2019
Old 06-14-2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echang86 View Post

Submitted two rifles for registration 6/30/18 @ 10PM.
Received Submission Confirmation email for both registrations on 2/7/19.
Received a registration letter for stating my weapon has been approved and registered as of 2/15/19, letter was received 2/25.
Letter didn't mention second rifle that was registered.
Follow up:
Received second letter today stating that both weapons have been approved as of 6/4/19. Not sure what this means for the first weapon, seems like it's been registered twice? On 2/15 and then on 6/4?
Old 06-15-2019, 6:55 AM

Happened to me too. First letter had half of my total rifles. Second letter came month later with all of them on one.
Old 07-18-2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomV View Post
Still waiting. 15 months.
At least the line in front of you is getting smaller with each day of new approvals.
Old 07-18-2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echang86 View Post
Follow up:
Received second letter today stating that both weapons have been approved as of 6/4/19. Not sure what this means for the first weapon, seems like it's been registered twice? On 2/15 and then on 6/4?
It is a form letter. If you had a third In Progress application, the letter for that approval would include the two earlier approvals as well. My BBAW approval letter included the serial numbers from the 2000 AW cycle as 'approved' (with no differentiation between the 2000 AWs and the 2016 BBAWs). I now have two letters that I keep with the AWs so that I don't get tagged by a clueless LEO for having illegal non-BBAWs in my possession.
Old 07-19-2019, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
I submitted registrations for myself, my wife, and our adult son who lives at home - registering the same guns to all three of us. My wife and I received emails 9 or 10 months later asking us to "correct" some errors (none of which were actually errors - I'd just provided more complete and accurate model descriptions than were stamped on the receivers). They weren't consistent in their requested corrections between my wife and I - even though all the original information was identical. Anyway, I made the "corrections" (which, I think, only consisted of deleting some information) and re-submitted. No email was received at that time regarding our son's application. Fast forward a couple of months, and we received our completed registration letters in the mail, but nothing for out son. I logged onto his email (unfortunately, I'd used an email address he rarely checks), and he'd also received notices that he needed to make corrections. It is now well past the 30 days allowed. Does anyone know how strict they are about that? I'm hoping they will still allow him to complete his registration, since (1) the errors they asked us to correct aren't actually errors - just additional correct information, and (2) there were some technical and other issues that made monitoring his email difficult the past few months. It seems like if they are going to take over 9 months to process an application (during which time people may change ISPs or email addresses), they should at least send a letter or something.

Has anyone tried to submit corrections after the 30 days allowed? Any suggestions on how to approach this? I tried to log onto CFARS and make the corrections for him (he's out of town), but couldn't get in, so I'll need to contact the DOJ on Monday about this.
Submit the corrections for your son and see what happens. From reading some of these posts it doesn't appear they're too organized there or even know their own rules.
Old 07-26-2019, 8:39 AM

I submitted 3 rifles for the RAW registration mid June 2018. The were registered with me as primary and my wife as secondary. My wife got her paperwork saying it was complete first of July...mine has yet to show up...
Old 08-10-2019, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Still waiting. 15 months.
Same here.
Old 08-31-2019, 9:49 AM
From My Cold, Dead Hands
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Another 6 Weeks and Nothing.

467 Days Since Corrections were Submitted......but it DON'T matter now.
Old 08-31-2019, 1:23 PM

Quote:

If you moved, the letter won't get forwarded to you. It will be returned to the DOJ.
Old 08-31-2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdd View Post
If you moved, the letter won't get forwarded to you. It will be returned to the DOJ.
I don't think he cares, if he has moved out of state.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
I don't think he cares, if he has moved out of state.
I understand. But then, his complaining does not mean anything.
Old 09-01-2019, 6:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

You just never know if you'll ever need that letter. Once in a while, I have this unique rifle class near Gilroy shooting out in natural terrain in canyons I haven’t found elsewhere. With the letter, I can still re-enter the state with my RAW, that otherwise I’d have to use a neutered gun.

I also don’t have a 100% certainty that we’d never have to move back into CA. Let’s say in your late senior years, if you find it necessary to live near one of your children.

When we sold my late mother in law’s house, we made the new owners a nice welcome gift basket. It was the best $50 we ever spent as they called us every time to pick up when there was mail delivered in her name. Of course we did our due diligence and informed all her correspondents of the change of address, and we still have a CA address. If we didn’t, I would have considered a PO Box only for that purpose.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 01-14-2020, 7:09 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone still waiting on their paperwork? Mine are still pending since March 2018. Everytime I contact them for why it's taking so long, all I get is a "check the status on the website".
Old 01-14-2020, 8:08 PM

I am still waiting.
Old 01-15-2020, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesY View Post
Anyone still waiting on their paperwork? Mine are still pending since March 2018. Everytime I contact them for why it's taking so long, all I get is a "check the status on the website".
I have a few still pending.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPotato View Post
I am still waiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
I have a few still pending.
Amazing! I imagine that most of the persons who were working to process the applications, during the registration period, have been reassigned to other duties since then. Perhaps there is only one, or two, employees still working on finishing those?
Old 01-15-2020, 12:37 PM

I submitted on June 30, 2018. Kickbacks on December 29, 2018. E-mails of submission and results by USPS mail on May 9, 2019. I have not received anything in the mail yet.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

What a crappy answer, all the completed registrations still say pending on the crappy website.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 01-16-2020, 1:11 AM

Submitted: 6/30/18
Corrections: 10/31/18
Approved: 5/2/19
Letter Recieved: 5/5/19

1 Firearm total

Not a bad idea to keep a scanned copy in your phone.
Old 01-16-2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtP88 View Post
Submitted: 6/30/18
Corrections: 10/31/18
Approved: 5/2/19
Letter Recieved: 5/5/19

1 Firearm total

Not a bad idea to keep a scanned copy in your phone.
Phones can have technical issues (I have had some locally stored pics corrupted). I keep a laminated photocopy of the registration letter with the AW. Wherever the AW goes, the copy goes.