Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:42 AM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirearmFino View Post
Filed order (ANDREW D. HURWITZ, DANIEL A. BRESS and PATRICK J. BUMATAY): This appeal shall be held in further abeyance pending the issuance of a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States in N.Y. State Rifle & Pistol ***’n v. Bruen, No. 20-843. The Court will issue any orders concerning additional briefing or argument after the Supreme Court issues its decision.
This is good news, I do believe.

Old 12-16-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It's good because this will continue the stay against prosecution for posession.
Hopefully NYSRPA goes our way.
That stay is unrelated, isn't it? I was under the impression that the order (or rather, settlement agreement) you're referring to was issued in the Sharp case, only applies to weapons which were eligible to be registered (pre-2017 acquisitions), and that it expires as soon as the upcoming AW registration do-over is finished. Unless I'm not aware of a different stay?

The stay that was issued in Rupp is, I believe, the opposite of what you described; that it continues to allow prosecutions.

Last edited by CandG; 12-16-2021 at 12:49 PM..
Old 12-16-2021, 3:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandG View Post
That stay is unrelated, isn't it?
I got Rupp and Duncan crossed up.
I was thinking that if they held Duncan in abeyance pending NYSRPA that there would be no final order issued that would rescind the stay on prosecution under 32310.
Old 12-19-2021, 3:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I’ve heard it’s good news.. here’s a detailed breakdown:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aLR835...xH-HJzoKdIuYTg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA
Old 12-19-2021, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
The more they delay, the harder they'll fall.

These cases going to SCOTUS will be an easy win for our side and will close the door for the most significant portion of the anti-gun agenda - the AWB and magazine restrictions.
Unfortunately, this will not close the door and it will not stop the left from disarming the citizen. The left will continue to overturn any rights you may continue to see outright bans again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
This should have been the outcome in the Duncan case, but CA9 arrogance ruled the day. There is a reason why CA9 is the most over-ruled circuit in the nation.
Seems some judges in the 9th circuit were not qualified and should be removed.

Last edited by Harry Ono; 12-19-2021 at 8:05 PM..
Old 12-20-2021, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
I’ve heard it’s good news.. here’s a detailed breakdown:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aLR835...xH-HJzoKdIuYTg
Can I get a RBIDWTWAS?

(Recap because I don't want to watch Armed Scholar)

Old 12-21-2021, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Ono View Post
Unfortunately, this will not close the door and it will not stop the left from disarming the citizen. The left will continue to overturn any rights you may continue to see outright bans again.

Seems some judges in the 9th circuit were not qualified and should be removed.
Hard to do with the current makeup of the U.S. Senate. 67 votes to impeach is a very heavy lift.
Old 06-24-2022, 9:44 AM

This is a bit of a necro but since the NY case was decided (in our favor) when do we expect a ruling on this?
Old 06-24-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandG View Post
Can I get a RBIDWTWAS?

(Recap because I don't want to watch Armed Scholar)
He is tough to watch isn't he?

I'm sure someone can give you a recap, "but real quick before they do...."
Old 06-28-2022, 12:57 PM

Just ordered by the 9th Circuit.

Quote:
The district court’s judgment is vacated, and this case is remanded to the district court for further proceedings consistent with the United States Supreme Court’s decision in New York State Rifle & Pistol Ass’n, Inc. v. Bruen, 597 U.S. ____ (2022). The parties shall bear their own attorney’s fees, costs, and expenses. This order constitutes the mandate of this court. VACATED AND REMANDED.
Old 06-28-2022, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ View Post
Remanded to the 3 judge panel? I’m lost where this ended up. I thought it never made it en banc, and was just held for Bruen? Is that correct?
Old 06-28-2022, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatchdog View Post
Remanded to the 3 judge panel? I’m lost where this ended up. I thought it never made it en banc, and was just held for Bruen? Is that correct?
It was briefed on the merits, and the three judge panel heard oral arguments. They held off issuing a decision because of Bruen pending before the Supreme Court. Ultimately, instead of issuing a decision, they just sent it back to the District Court Judge.
Old 06-28-2022, 1:13 PM

So generally a good thing?

Quote:
It was briefed on the merits, and the three judge panel heard oral arguments. They held off issuing a decision because of Bruen pending before the Supreme Court. Ultimately, instead of issuing a decision, they just sent it back to the District Court Judge.
Old 06-28-2022, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Bumatay made a dissent on this saying it shouldn’t go back to the lower court, instead they should just let the 3 judge panel make the ruling and save everyone time and money….so it seems it’s going back to be heard by the lower court.

Last edited by SPGuy; 06-28-2022 at 1:17 PM..
Old 06-28-2022, 1:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What’s the purpose of remanding it back to the judge that already found it unconstitutional? Other than the obvious delay tactic.
Old 06-28-2022, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Bumatay's dissenting statement on the vacate and remand order:
Quote:
With a clear legal standard now in hand, we should have ordered supplemental briefing to further this case along. Instead, we instinctively kick the can back to the district court...A remand here may just prolong the inevitable as we will eventually have to decide this case - adding unnecessary delays and expenses for the parties.
1/21: Called for interview | 2/03: Interviewed in Monterey Park
2/04: Live Scan Submitted | 2/07: CA/FBI Completed | 3/30: Firearms Completed
4/06: Proceed with training email | 4/11: Training Docs Submitted
4/25: Called for pickup | 4/27: License issued

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Old 06-28-2022, 1:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
No, the order quoted says "remanded to the district court "; that is, the July 22 2019 decision
Quote:
After considering the moving and opposing papers and evidence, and the arguments of counsel at the hearing, on July 22, 2019, the Court issued an order granting Defendant Attorney General’s motion for summary judgment and denying Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment. (Doc. 108.)
will be re-assessed at THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE CENTRAL DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA.

ETA and not 'Bruen' but NYSRPA, please.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 06-28-2022, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
What’s the purpose of remanding it back to the judge that already found it unconstitutional? Other than the obvious delay tactic.
You nailed it on the head. Delay delay delay
Old 06-28-2022, 1:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPGuy View Post
You nailed it on the head. Delay delay delay
Maybe. The 2019 judgment docs do not include an analysis by the judge, so hard to tell what legal effect NYSRPA might have here; Judge Stanton appeared to be convinced by the briefs supplied by the State, so one must look at their (previously) winning arguments.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 06-28-2022, 1:56 PM
Veteran Member

This is on the final page of that decision:

“ Accordingly, the Court concludes that the AWCA withstands intermediate scrutiny “

So the arguments now will have to focus on where in past history did the government ban particular guns. And so the argument about how much more dangerous guns with pistol grips are goes out the window?
Old 06-28-2022, 2:07 PM

Quote:

Delay, plus avoiding having to sit circuit-wide precedent (i.e., what can other states do, what can the federal government do, how to apply Bruen, etc.)
Old 06-28-2022, 2:08 PM

Quote:
This is on the final page of that decision:

“ Accordingly, the Court concludes that the AWCA withstands intermediate scrutiny “

So the arguments now will have to focus on where in past history did the government ban particular guns. And so the argument about how much more dangerous guns with pistol grips are goes out the window?
Yes, second argument is pretty much irrelevant.
Old 06-28-2022, 2:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I don't think the judge in 2019 found it unconstitutional, the judge sided with the State/Becerra.

https://michellawyers.com/wp-content...1-Judgment.pdf
Old 06-28-2022, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post
I don't think the judge in 2019 found it unconstitutional, the judge sided with the State/Becerra.

So that was just a summary judgement, and there wasn't a full blown trial or any judicial statements or opinions issued, correct? In other words he just rubber stamped the case for the state.

So the question here is how long does he get to sit on it this time before doing anything with it. I think it is almost a forgone conclusion this judge will find some way to rule against us again.
Old 06-28-2022, 3:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post

Ok, I was thinking of Miller and Benitez tossing it out.
Old 06-28-2022, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommieforniaResident View Post
Delay, plus avoiding having to sit circuit-wide precedent (i.e., what can other states do, what can the federal government do, how to apply Bruen, etc.)
Also, I've just read part of the initial opinion by the District Court and the judge concludes that "assault weapons" fall outside the scope of the 2A because they are akin to M16s and Heller contained language suggesting banning M16s is ok. The judge wrote that M16s are mostly used in semiautomatic, army doctrine provides that soldiers should mainly use M16s in semi-automatic configuration, and M16s and AR15s are otherwise identical.

This suggests that another reason they might have sent this back was because the judge would still keep the AW ban in place by saying that the 2A right itself was not implicated.
Old 06-28-2022, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Boy View Post
So that was just a summary judgement, and there wasn't a full blown trial or any judicial statements or opinions issued, correct?
That's incorrect. Summary judgment is a final ruling on the merits of the case. The court did provide an opinion regarding why it ruled for the state.
Old 06-28-2022, 7:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Summary judgment is a final ruling on the merits of the case.
The court did provide an opinion regarding why it ruled for the state.
So the summary judgement is vacated and the case is thrown back to that court to rule again more creatively now that they also have to accommodate the single test of Bruen.
Old 06-28-2022, 8:02 PM
The Over Generalizer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
So the summary judgement is vacated and the case is thrown back to that court to rule again more creatively now that they also have to accommodate the single test of Bruen.
The judge will have to work much harder as the wiggle room has gotten substantially smaller. I think the judge will have to move closer to our side in the next judgment.
Old 06-28-2022, 8:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
That's incorrect. Summary judgment is a final ruling on the merits of the case. The court did provide an opinion regarding why it ruled for the state.
Would you please point out which document has that? Link, even?

Not saying it isn't there somewhere, but I can't find it ...

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 06-28-2022, 8:11 PM

Might be this one https://michellawyers.com/wp-content...ntiffs-MSJ.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post

Old 06-28-2022, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp3056 View Post
The judge will have to work much harder as the wiggle room has gotten substantially smaller. I think the judge will have to move closer to our side in the next judgment.
He will not have to work hard at all. Plenty of fake history will be handed to him so he can find for the state.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2022, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post

Here you go: https://michellawyers.com/wp-content...ntiffs-MSJ.pdf
Old 06-28-2022, 8:31 PM
Calguns Addict

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephine_Staton

She literally copy/pasted the state's filings. Worthless.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 06-28-2022, 8:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
She wrote that she rejected the exact test which she now is required to use per the Bruen case. She did not find the historical test persuasive.
Old 06-28-2022, 8:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
She wrote that she rejected the exact test which she now is required to use per the Bruen case. She did not find the historical test persuasive.
And I especially liked the part where she said something to the effect of “if the Supreme Court wanted us to use the historical argument they SURELY would have mentioned it”. Well, now they mentioned it.
Old 06-28-2022, 8:48 PM
Calguns Addict

It is obvious from literally every word she wrote she doesn't care one whit for the law. She wants to find for the State, by whatever means necessary.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Old 06-28-2022, 9:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Muchisimas gracias!

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 06-28-2022, 9:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
Ah, yes -
Quote:
While they acknowledge that the Court is bound by the Ninth Circuit’s two-step inquiry (Plaintiffs’ Mem. at 17 n.10), Plaintiffs devote a significant portion of their briefing to arguing that the AWCA violates the Second Amendment under a “scope-based analysis” derived largely from then-Judge Kavanaugh’s dissent in Heller v. District of Columbia (Heller II), 670 F.3d 1244, 1269–96 (D.C. Cir. 2011) (Kavanaugh, J., dissenting). (See Plaintiffs’ Mem. at 11–17.) Essentially, Plaintiffs’ proposed test requires a “historical justification” for firearm regulations. (See id. at 11.) If there is no historical justification, the regulation is per se invalid. (Id.) The Court rejects Plaintiffs’ proposed test for two reasons. First, it does not find it persuasive for the reasons expressed by the majority opinion in Heller II. See 670 F.3d at 1265 (“If the Supreme Court truly intended to rule out any form of heightened scrutiny for all Second Amendment cases, then it surely would have said at least something to that effect.”); id. (“[T]he idea that Heller precludes heightened scrutiny has eluded every circuit to have addressed that question since Heller was issued.”); id. at 1267 (“Although Heller renders longstanding regulations presumptively constitutional, it nowhere suggests a law must be longstanding or rooted in text, history, and tradition to be constitutional.”).

Second, and more simply, the Court is bound by the Ninth Circuit’s two-step inquiry.
From that, I would expect the NYSRPA opinion vitiates both halves of that dismissal.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 06-28-2022, 9:14 PM
Calguns Addict

"common use" cuts both ways

Quote:
The Court notes, however, that analyzing the constitutionality of the AWCA based “on how
common a weapon is at the time of the litigation would be circular.” Friedman v. City of
Highland Park, Illinois, 784 F.3d 406, 409 (7th Cir. 2015) (noting that “[m]achine guns aren’t
commonly owned for lawful purposes today because they are illegal” and “semi-automatic
weapons with large-capacity magazines are owned more commonly because, until recently (in
some jurisdictions), they have been legal”)
Honestly, it is dangerous for anyone (pro or anti) to hang their hat on the "common use test" w/o fully examining the history of legal effect on the popularity of a given choice of arms.

Ideally, I'd love of the court relied more on "least restrictive means" in terms of among the "means that are effective", which is the least restrictive, given the balance of some proven, objective, efficacy.

Unfortunately, we know how horribly that can be gamed, so it isn't surprising SCOTUS chose to attempt to hamstring the 9th (and the 2nd) by forcing them to come up with "historical" precedent. It's unfortunate because all that does is incentivize lionization of "long standing prohibitions", which is an even more dangerous mind field, imo; as I have commented on in other threads, with regards to the fact that the longer standing a prohibition, the more likely it is to be discriminatory and unjust.

Last edited by curtisfong; 06-28-2022 at 9:19 PM..