Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 04-10-2019, 7:48 AM

Default Is it worth it? TX and AZ CCW Licenses

I have to go to Plano, TX on business once or twice a month for 4/days, 3/nights each...usually only once a month. My job is an office job so Iím not roaming about with potential dangers except paper cuts. But living in LA County, not able to get a CCW locally.

Reciprocity does not apply so is it worth it to go through the application process for non-residents to get a CCW license in TX and AZ? Heck, Iím not even sure I want to go through the hassle of dealing with snowflake ticket agents at LAX to declare traveling with a firearm.

But in some ways, I like having options and maybe even exercising my 2A rights in other states gets me excited.
Old 04-10-2019, 8:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Get AZ or NV.

IIRC Texas will recognize either.

Flying with handgun is easy, study the sticky, people do it all the time.

A bigger hassle in Texas is signs (of the right format) are binding and they are very pervasive. So be prepared to disarm and leave it in the car about 50% of the time.

Disarming, locking it up, then rearming becomes a pain when you have to do it over and over and over again.

On the plus side, if you ever need a gun in Texas there is one in about every car.
IF WE EVER FORGET WE ARE ONE NATION UNDER GOD.
THEN WE WILL BE A NATION GONE UNDER.
Ronald Reagan

We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 04-10-2019, 8:28 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Flying with a handgun is easy enough, but it will delay you 30-60 minutes on each end in my experience.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 04-10-2019, 1:03 PM
Vendor/Retailer

If you are in Texas a lot, I would get the Texas permit over any other permit. The training has to be completed in Texas, but everything else is by mail. The reason I recommend the Texas one is that way you do not have to worry about reciprocity changing.

Depending on what classes you have already taken, you may already have the training for the Arizona permit and that may affect your decision.

Also consider what other states to which you travel often. For instance if you travel to Texas and Washington often, then you should consider the Utah permit.

At the same time, if you travel to Texas and Florida often, then you should consider the Florida permit.

I always recommend getting multiple permits as reciprocity/recognition is subject to change with little to no notice.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 04-10-2019, 5:45 PM

I’ve flown numerous times with a firearm to Texas out of ONT/LAX. Never had a delay or issue. The more you fly obviously the more likely you could have an issue with an idiot TSA/airline employee at some point. But it’s well worth it to practice your constitutional rights IMO as you follow the law. The AZ permit is easy to acquire. Recognized in Texas. The sign issues in Texas are bothersome at worst to me. There are web sites that clearly outline what businesses have what signage. I don’t like the signs obviously but again I will not patronize businesses that don’t support my 2A rights. I honestly do not notice many signs at all as I travel around in Texas but then I spend very little time in metropolitan areas other than Ft Worth. As a current prisoner in CA, having to occasionally disarm for absolutely necessary business in a signed building in Texas is a very small hassle.

Last edited by iropem; 04-10-2019 at 5:51 PM..
Old 04-10-2019, 7:02 PM

Yup.. The signs in Texas carry a lot of weight... The signs in california mean jack ****... Texas is safe. but yes, having option is nice. AZ is your best bet as you can do it all by mail and it's good in Nevada, and NM as well.
Old 04-10-2019, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iropem View Post
Iíve flown numerous times with a firearm to Texas out of ONT/LAX. Never had a delay or issue. The more you fly obviously the more likely you could have an issue with an idiot TSA/airline employee at some point. But itís well worth it to practice your constitutional rights IMO as you follow the law. The AZ permit is easy to acquire. Recognized in Texas. The sign issues in Texas are bothersome at worst to me. There are web sites that clearly outline what businesses have what signage. I donít like the signs obviously but again I will not patronize businesses that donít support my 2A rights. I honestly do not notice many signs at all as I travel around in Texas but then I spend very little time in metropolitan areas other than Ft Worth. As a current prisoner in CA, having to occasionally disarm for absolutely necessary business in a signed building in Texas is a very small hassle.

Iíve never flown out of LA; however, Iíve flown many times from different airports. I recommend checking/printing TSA and airline regulations and bring them when you fly.

Agree with getting AZ permit, quick and easy.

Iíve frequently traveled to Dallas and Houston; there are 30.06/30.07 signs on some businesses but there are also places that welcome armed patrons. Texans usually do not have issues with armed citizens in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2019, 6:44 AM
Calguns Addict

AZ permit takes a week or two at the most. So get that then work on the TX one.
Old 04-12-2019, 6:11 PM

Props to AZ. As a vet, I spent an hour filling out the app, collecting my DD214, getting printed and going to the Post Office. Two weeks later permit arrived.
Old 04-13-2019, 6:19 AM

Thanks for all the input. I started the TX Online LTC app and will be sending them fingerprints. I’ll be taking the online LTC course. Waiting to hear back from them on whether my 64 certified hours of handgun training in CA will cover their 1-2 hours of handgun proficiency at a TX range.

Also waiting for the AZ application package in the mail.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:25 AM

Just an update.
Got my AZ permit, they accepted my CA handgun training certificate.

Last week I was on my monthly TX business trip and spent one evening 5-10pm taking the License to Carry course (4 hrs) and range shoot (1 hr). Scored a 250/250 in the range shooting a rental Glock 19x. I was especially flattered that the instructor held up my target and said, "if you want to see what a perfect score looks like." Today, I sent in my LTC-6 and LTC-100 documents, copy of my CA DL, and a couple of passport photos so now it's just time to wait.
Old 05-15-2019, 5:22 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Here is the map of which states recognize the Arizona CCW depending on if it is either a Resident or Non-Resident License.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws...n-laws/#az-map

Here is the home page for Texas CCW Licenses.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws...exas-gun-laws/

I fly at least once a year with a declared firearm in my checked luggage, and have had no hassles going between California and Detroit. Just read the rules and regs for TSA about flying with firearms/ and the specific Airlines rules also...

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

You can start a collection of the brightly colored tags from the different airlines also.

Old 05-15-2019, 5:37 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimster716 View Post
Just an update.
Got my AZ permit, they accepted my CA handgun training certificate.

Last week I was on my monthly TX business trip and spent one evening 5-10pm taking the License to Carry course (4 hrs) and range shoot (1 hr). Scored a 250/250 in the range shooting a rental Glock 19x. I was especially flattered that the instructor held up my target and said, "if you want to see what a perfect score looks like." Today, I sent in my LTC-6 and LTC-100 documents, copy of my CA DL, and a couple of passport photos so now it's just time to wait.
I did not use a rental Glock, but a perfect score is not that difficult to obtain with my carry weapons at a distance a bit further than required, when I requalified for my California CCW.

Plus I used this score to qualify for firearm proficiency on my Oregon Non-Resident Concealed Handgun License last year, instead of using my DD-214 which is over 35 years old.

Old 05-15-2019, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
I did not use a rental Glock, but a perfect score is not that difficult to obtain with my carry weapons at a distance a bit further than required, when I requalified for my California CCW.

Plus I used this score to qualify for firearm proficiency on my Oregon Non-Resident Concealed Handgun License last year, instead of using my DD-214 which is over 35 years old.

The only other person who got 100% intentionally used an M&P 22 rimfire pistol for qualifying. We shot timed from 3, 7, and 15 yards...it shouldnít have been difficult but seeing targets peppered was surprisingly the norm but everyone still passed (canít really fail though they say you need to score 75% of 250pts).

Regardless, it was fun for me and since Iím in LA County, it was just a way to get a CCW thatís legal at least somewhere. The instructor said he had one student whoís retired and takes his RV everywhere trying to collect as many CCWís as he can across the country. Now that guy represents life goals.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:58 PM

Got my TX License To Carry in the mail yesterday. Now to decide which gun to take with me on my next trip.

Last edited by jimster716; 06-05-2019 at 1:01 PM..