Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-14-2019, 7:00 AM

Default questions - BCM enhanced lightweight

Thinking of the 14.5 complete upper over the 16". Six different muzzle devices, prices vary quite a bit. Any suggestions on which is preferred/better?

Do they weld or heat the barrel to distort or ruin temper?

Anyone have a preference on Handguard, I'd think Ii'd prefer the roundest one, but cant ell from pics which it would be/or most hand friendly to grip.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated
Old 05-14-2019, 7:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Of all the choices, I prefer the Surefire Socom brake. My 14.5" LW Enhanced CHF with the Surefire brake and an H1 buffer recoils like 22LR with full power 556. And the entire gun is around 6.25 lbs. The BCM MLOK rail is probably most ideal. Light weight, comfortable to grip, but will heat up during rapid fire so get the BCM or MLOK rail covers.

The BCM Comp is a decent combo device and would be my second choice.

No damage to the barrel during welding.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

The weld on the brake is a spot weld not really affecting the barrel per se. as for brakes the best one O have shot around that does kick the crap out of everyone near me is the BCM brake. Enough for compensation but not so much as to make it miserable to shoot next to.
All other brakes in my book suck to shoot in 223. More noise and back blast than anything.
I have shot and been around a wide variety of brakes and I will make it a point to be next to someone with a flash hider.
Old 05-15-2019, 5:35 AM

^^^ Yep. What they do is fill the top of the set-screw hole, so the screw cannot be backed out. There shouldn't be any actual welding of barrel steel in the process.

And Damon, did you mean "does not kick the crap out of everyone near me is the BCM brake".

BTW, are you talking about their Comp 0 or Comp 1, those are considered flash hiders. Just FYI. BCM does claim that it reduces muzzle flash. So no good for a featureless build obviously.
Old 05-15-2019, 6:54 AM
Veteran Member

Correct that the BCM brake does not beat others up. They do call them a compensator but they too talk about flash reduction. No matter for myself. I keep my rifles broken down (lower separated from the upper) while in CA and only use them out of state. My others have brakes on them and are run as featureless. You can just have one type of AR you know.
Old 05-15-2019, 7:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Just so incorrect information doesn't permeate from here.

BCM and anyone who pins muzzle devices the correct way DONT use set screws. They use steel pins. They drill a small hole through the muzzle device (if if didn't already have one) and into the barrel a few 100ths. They insert the pin. They then weld the top of the pin to the muzzle device so it isn't removable.

There is an alternate method using silver solder. That method requires a lot of heat but I am not sure if it can have negative effects on your barrel performance or finish.
Old 05-15-2019, 8:20 AM

Thank you for all the excellent answerseveryone. Tony, they offer two different surefires, which one? Also thank you for mentioning what kind of buffer tube goes good w/ it.
I need all the help i can get to pay/buy once and end up w/ a well balanced, rifle, functioning as smooth as possible.
So any other parts that you can mention for the build would be appreciated.
BCM doesn't talk on the phone, and side stepped my question about heat/weld impairs the temper or distortion of the barrel through email. Tony I am not seeing where a CHF barrel is an option on this upper linked below. I take it this is the handguard you reccomended. This is the upper I have in mind below (what you guys think).

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...lw-mcmr-13.htm

Last edited by palmtree; 05-15-2019 at 8:27 AM..
Old 05-15-2019, 8:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I bought a DD 14.5" barrel and had a linear comp pinned to it. That way I got to choose which one.
Old 05-15-2019, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

I recommend the SFMB-556 if you want a pure brake. The Warcomp is a flash hider with holes on top to help more with muzzle flip, not recoil.

Make sure you get Midlegth (not carbine) gas. "BFH" is what they call their CHF. It doesn't effect how smooth the gun shoots but should offer better barrel life if you plan on shooting 20,000+ rounds. Otherwise the non BFH is just fine.

Last edited by tonyxcom; 05-15-2019 at 9:29 AM..