Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2018, 1:21 PM

Default Not this question again. Transporting my AR Tomorrow.

So I skimmed through a few of our threads on transporting and just wanted to make sure I was clear on my situation and encase there have been any changes to the rules.

I have a home built AR (Non-AW, California Compliant). I usually transport it assembled in a hard rifle case and locked.

I am headed to the outdoor range tomorrow to get some time on my pistol but was considering maybe taking the AR up as well. The problem is I just recently moved to a new place and most of my stuff is in storage, including my rifle case which is under a mountain of stuff.

I wanted to know if I would be cool to just transport it in a non locking duffel bag in the back of my SUV, upper and lower separated and even the bolt carrier is out and in the same duffel bag. Is this legal? If not, I will just leave it at home, not going to dig out that case at this time and not going to buy another container just for the one day at the range.

Ammo would be carried in separate container in an ammo can.
Old 11-08-2018, 1:33 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Not registered-AW, it's just a rifle - no CA implications in your car.

Federal GFSZ law wants the rifle in a locked case in school zones.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-08-2018, 1:43 PM

If the duffle bag has two zippers lock them together and you are good. The law says "in a locked case" but it does not define what a case its.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2018, 1:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^ CA Law says nothing about lockedcase for long guns. Only fpr assault weapons.Fed GFSZ says locked within 1000 feet of school.
Old 11-08-2018, 1:55 PM

It’s just long gun OP, no need to separate just keep it unloaded in back of the car. Maybe cover or wrap in a towel or blanket for protection & to keep out of plain sight. Pistols need to be unloaded and in a loacked case/container though.
Old 11-08-2018, 2:28 PM

Thanks Cal-gunners.