Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 11-19-2019, 4:29 AM

Default Can a CA Resident type 01 FFL buy Off roster handguns for their personal collection

I was wondering if you could buy off roster handguns for yourself if you are a non LEO CA resident with a type 01 FFL
Old 11-19-2019, 4:36 AM
Veteran Member

No, FFL01 does not buy you an exemption. You can have those firearms in the business’ inventory, but you can not transfer them to yourself.
Old 11-19-2019, 4:42 AM

Makes sense. Thanks for answering
Old 11-19-2019, 6:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerk818 View Post
I was wondering if you could buy off roster handguns for yourself if you are a non LEO CA resident with a type 01 FFL
Yes! We absolutely can just like anyone else can. They can be obtained in PPTs/consignments.

We can not register them to ourselves out of dealer inventory however, there is nothing preventing us from taking them out of the store to use for things like research and development. How else can we advise potential buyers on our experience and knowledge of the inventory?
Old 11-19-2019, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Yes! We absolutely can just like anyone else can. They can be obtained in PPTs/consignments.

We can not register them to ourselves out of dealer inventory however, there is nothing preventing us from taking them out of the store to use for things like research and development. How else can we advise potential buyers on our experience and knowledge of the inventory?
That’s true. We have to make sure it’s safe for our customers. But the testing period may be until we see fit lol
Old 11-19-2019, 2:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That’s true. We have to make sure it’s safe for our customers. But the testing period may be until we see fit lol
True but I have not done it much. A used gun usually means you will lose money for the thrill of an off roster gun. (They all go bang).

If you’re in this to shoot off roster guns, you are doing it wrong. Gun sales is a tough low margin business. Based on your questions, you would be better off buying off roster guns at a premium on the used market instead of trying to be a part time 01.

We work so much that I have a hard time even trying to get range time. Especially in the winter when I leave for work with minimal sun light and coming home in the dark🙄.
Old 11-19-2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
True but I have not done it much. A used gun usually means you will lose money for the thrill of an off roster gun. (They all go bang).

If you’re in this to shoot off roster guns, you are doing it wrong. Gun sales is a tough low margin business. Based on your questions, you would be better off buying off roster guns at a premium on the used market instead of trying to be a part time 01.

We work so much that I have a hard time even trying to get range time. Especially in the winter when I leave for work with minimal sun light and coming home in the dark🙄.
Yea I was just joking around being sarcastic, I was serious about the question I originally answered. I was just curious about that. But yeah it would be a waste to use a new gun thus making it a used gun which = less $. It wouldn’t be worth the time taking it to the range. It’s just too bad ffl holders weren’t allowed to have off roster guns in their personal collection because of the federal certification. Oh well. I guess the answer is to get out of communist California where you can actually experience something called freedom that many have sacrificed their lives for us to have.

Thanks for the advice for my post!
Old 11-20-2019, 7:02 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Yea I was just joking around being sarcastic, I was serious about the question I originally answered. I was just curious about that. But yeah it would be a waste to use a new gun thus making it a used gun which = less $. It wouldn’t be worth the time taking it to the range. It’s just too bad ffl holders weren’t allowed to have off roster guns in their personal collection because of the federal certification. Oh well. I guess the answer is to get out of communist California where you can actually experience something called freedom that many have sacrificed their lives for us to have.

Why would being an FFL get you an exemption for your personal collection? You are exempted for the business in order to sell to LEO/out of state. Do you think having an FFL gets you an exempt to other laws (such as the magazine restrictions)?
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 11-20-2019, 7:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yea I was just joking around being sarcastic, I was serious about the question I originally answered. I was just curious about that. But yeah it would be a waste to use a new gun thus making it a used gun which = less $. It wouldn’t be worth the time taking it to the range. It’s just too bad ffl holders weren’t allowed to have off roster guns in their personal collection because of the federal certification. Oh well[I]. I guess the answer is to get out of communist California where you can actually experience something called freedom that many have sacrificed their lives for us to have.

[/I]

And that about sums up this FFL inquiry