Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-14-2022, 8:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My buddy has a old one and a newer one. They both work great. The newer one has some rust showing but steel wool and penetrating oil took care of it. His older one has a smooth blues finish the newer one has a rougher more like parkerized finish. He just wipes it down with side kryoil once in a while. It’s never rusted since
Old 01-16-2022, 11:27 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgatodeacero View Post
I really like Ithaca shotguns and own a couple of them. Unfortunately, any “DS Police Special” in decent condition is going to be very expensive. Ithaca still makes the M37 Police shotguns too, but they are again, very expensive.

On the other hand, you kind find vintage Ithaca hunting / trap shotguns on the cheap, often in excellent condition with lovely wood furniture.

I can’t explain this anomaly……
Old 01-17-2022, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member

I own 4. They all kick arse and drop birds.
If I had a nickel for every gender that exists...
...I'd have $0.10.
Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
--- Dan Bongino
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.
Old 01-17-2022, 5:38 PM

I've had an older (1970s) Wingmaster, a ~2013 Express, and a ~2018 Wingmaster.

They all work fine. The Express finish is cheap. My favorite is actually the 2018 Wingmaster and the other two have been sold off. I can't tell any difference in the fit and finish between the old and new Wingmaster, and I actually prefer the aesthetics of the newer one (cut instead of pressed checkering, no white line spacer, solid instead of ventilated recoil pad).

Old 01-17-2022, 8:10 PM
Calguns Addict

While the Wingmaster's are beautiful shotguns, the cheaper, cruder 870 Express is the go-to for duck hunting. Shoots 3" shells, takes abuse, looks better and better as it gets beat up, and you won't cry if it goes over the side of the boat.

Sure - it rusts easy, but just clean it after a hunt and it'll be A-OK for the next trip.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 01-17-2022, 8:23 PM

A rattle can of flat black lacquer cures most of what's wrong with the Express finish. My old 870 Sportsman rusted while I watched it at the Salton Sea. Had it professionally bead blasted and Parkerized. Rusted again. Flat black lacquer is the bomb, because you can recoat as necessary without any sanding or serious prep. Each coat of lacquer chemically bonds to the old layer, as long as it's clean. It's a $2 refinish.
Old 01-24-2022, 2:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky's Dad View Post
A rattle can of flat black lacquer cures most of what's wrong with the Express finish. My old 870 Sportsman rusted while I watched it at the Salton Sea. Had it professionally bead blasted and Parkerized. Rusted again. Flat black lacquer is the bomb, because you can recoat as necessary without any sanding or serious prep. Each coat of lacquer chemically bonds to the old layer, as long as it's clean. It's a $2 refinish.
Interesting. I blasted and cerakoted my current 870 express but purchased a 21” barrel for turkey hunting. Took some bronze wool and oil to a spot or two. So, clean the barrel and use something like this? I used flat krylon on top of my cerakoted barrel to camo it a little. Same thing - easy fix if it comes off.

Krylon Acryli-Quik Acrylic Lacquer Semi-Flat Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742N19Y8...12BGYG9SDB1BGA