Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-14-2022, 5:03 PM

Default 10 Gauge reloading, where to start?

Hey Guys,

For whatever reason I decided to jump into the 10 gauge game. I've been reloading rifles cartridges for about 10 years now but have never done shotgun shells. What equipment would I need to start reloading for 10 gauge?
Old 01-14-2022, 6:52 PM
Veteran Member

Start saving the hulls you buy cause I've never seen any 10s at the range.

You'll need a book and the matching hull,primer,powder and wad combination. Unlike metallic cartridges, primer pockets may not be uniform, primers vary in power. You thought small pistol primer was hard to find, good luck matching and finding 4 specific components.
Old 01-14-2022, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Right now, the only shot-shell ammo I see for sale at the local stores is 10ga. Should be easy to acquire some empties.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 01-14-2022, 7:56 PM

I reload 10 ga 3 1/2 inch
Pm when you get a chance
Old 01-15-2022, 8:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Generally speaking for shotgun reloading, follow the recipe. Don't swap components all willy nilly.

Lee Load All presses work, but unless you only want to put together a box of shells every year look towards something better (MEC). For not much more than a brand new Load All you can get a used MEC single stage.
Old 01-15-2022, 8:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Generally speaking for shotgun reloading, follow the recipe. Don't swap components all willy nilly.

Lee Load All presses work, but unless you only want to put together a box of shells every year look towards something better (MEC). For not much more than a brand new Load All you can get a used MEC single stage.
All good advice. However, while I have seen countless 12 and 20ga used MEC shot-shell reloaders for sale, I have yet to see a 10ga one. 28, 16, and .410 pop up once in a great while, but never a 10. A 12ga press can be converted if you buy the die set from MEC. but that would cost as much as more as just buying the press:
https://www.mecoutdoors.com/die-set-...-to-10-gauge-9

A quick check at MidwayUSA shows a new, complete press for ~$250.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

Last edited by bigbossman; 01-15-2022 at 9:01 AM..
Old 01-16-2022, 12:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
All good advice. However, while I have seen countless 12 and 20ga used MEC shot-shell reloaders for sale, I have yet to see a 10ga one. 28, 16, and .410 pop up once in a great while, but never a 10. A 12ga press can be converted if you buy the die set from MEC. but that would cost as much as more as just buying the press:
https://www.mecoutdoors.com/die-set-...-to-10-gauge-9

A quick check at MidwayUSA shows a new, complete press for ~$250.
Fair enough. Even at $250 it's still a better deal than a Load All if you're going to load any volume.

That being said, for $75 bucks or whatever the Load Alls work, but they sure aren't fancy and they can't really be tuned.
Old 01-16-2022, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

I used a Load All for a year and dreaded every moment of it after I mastered the setup. 6 pulls to make 1 round? When I saw a Grabber for under $300 used even when the seller broke a part in front of me while demonstrating, I threw my money at it and am now making 1 round per pull. Unless I go into competition that's good enough.
Old 01-16-2022, 3:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Fair enough. Even at $250 it's still a better deal than a Load All if you're going to load any volume.

That being said, for $75 bucks or whatever the Load Alls work, but they sure aren't fancy and they can't really be tuned.
Oh, heck yeah. If I had a 10ga, I'd drop the $250 PDQ.

Old 01-17-2022, 4:38 PM

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it!
Old 01-19-2022, 6:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Default ><

OP--Are you planing to load 3 1/2" shells? The reason I ask is you may need a 3 1/2" specific loader. I have converted MEC 600's from 2 3/4" to 3", but I have never loaded 3 1/2" ....I don't know if a standard 600 can be raised that high

Maybe some one will clear that up .....just wanted to bring up the subject