Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Winchester 1897.

---
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

Last edited by retired; 01-11-2022 at 7:21 PM..
Old 01-12-2022, 1:19 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
I have many revolvers and they all have stock triggers except the one I keep for HD. That's one of the reasons I chose it for that purpose. Years ago my former brother-in-law worked on it and after a little filing and a lot of polishing it has an extremely smooth DA trigger pull...
Question for you if I may: Let's say you are involved in a shooting, especially one where the suspect is killed or expected to die. Local LE temporarily takes your gun as part of their investigation and has their firearm expert examine the gun. The expert will advise the investigators of your trigger modifications. In turn, they contact you and inquire as to why you made the modifications to the trigger. What are you going to tell them? Thanks
Old 01-12-2022, 10:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Ono View Post
Ruger Charger in 9mm and no need to rack the slide just pull the bolt back.
+ Suppressor and 30 round magazine will do the trick, lights and laser optional.

Attachment 1046379
That's what I was going to say, except with a brace and a dot. If I were in kali, the same thing, except a rifle. Big cocking handle, so if you're too weak even for that, just shove the cocking handle against a wall corner.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Question for you if I may: Let's say you are involved in a shooting, especially one where the suspect is killed or expected to die. Local LE temporarily takes your gun as part of their investigation and has their firearm expert examine the gun. The expert will advise the investigators of your trigger modifications. In turn, they contact you and inquire as to why you made the modifications to the trigger. What are you going to tell them? Thanks
Nunya.

Nunya ****ing business.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maulerrr View Post
Probably a striker fire 9mm, with one of those little grippers for the end of the slide since some slides can be pretty stout
Little gripper? Like one of these?

Easier to see with, too.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'd probably opt for a classic 1911 but in a smaller caliber, I'm not that old yet lol
Old 01-13-2022, 1:54 AM

If I was old, and too weak to rack a slide, I'm guessing that a double action revolver trigger wouldn't be easy to pull either.
So, my "go to" (for a pistol) would probably be something with a tip up barrel, easy to cock, and low recoil.
Like a Beretta Bobcat.

As pocket semi auto pistols go, it's about as easy to handle as it gets.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:48 PM

With arthritis and age-related weakness setting in I'd recommend looking towards bigger, heavier guns that will make recoil easier to control, preferably with a light, single-action trigger.

Think 1911 government.

That means you Newsom, you greasy tyrant!
And stay out of the water, you're killing the ducks!
Old 01-13-2022, 2:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll send it and use a desert eagle in 50AE
Old 01-13-2022, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
That's what I was going to say, except with a brace and a dot. If I were in kali, the same thing, except a rifle. Big cocking handle, so if you're too weak even for that, just shove the cocking handle against a wall corner.

Given your "Not in Cali" your just steps away from having one. Jez! Lucky you!
Old 01-13-2022, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B yond View Post
With arthritis and age-related weakness setting in I'd recommend looking towards bigger, heavier guns that will make recoil easier to control, preferably with a light, single-action trigger.

Think 1911 government.
How about a lever action ?

Adler A120.jpg
Old 01-13-2022, 3:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I recently took a bad fall and broke my arm and injured my back. It's been months and I am still healing. One of the things I realized is that other than a handgun, I would have been completely unable to shoot. Yes, the handgun in 9mm would have been felt in my back. But at least I could lift it. It has been almost 3 months and I still cannot support an AR or shotgun with my left arm/hand. I also image the recoil from a shotgun would be felt all the way down my spine.

In a couple months this will all be behind me. But I imagine this experience was pretty similar to what my grandfather felt like from 80+. Hunched over, finding it hard to walk due to his back and bad shoulders. Getting old sucks. But it sure beats the alternative.
Old 01-13-2022, 3:21 PM

[Snip]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
Getting old sucks. But it sure beats the alternative.
This is so true and the older one gets, the more you realize it. ( I really get annoyed with comments like...'well he/she is, gonna die anyway.') I'm not finished yet, thank you very much!

I hope your back and arm get better soon, but don't push it, healing and building back strength is a process. I wish you the best Sir.

Respectfully
Kyle

"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on." - Joseph Heller

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________
Old 01-13-2022, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Ono View Post
How about a lever action ?

Attachment 1060211
I actually have a lever action 12 gauge, and it came with a birds head grip in addition to the standard stock. It takes a surprising amount of strength in the off hand to work a levergun without a stock for leverage.

Sure looks cool though.

That means you Newsom, you greasy tyrant!
And stay out of the water, you're killing the ducks!

Last edited by B yond; 01-13-2022 at 5:14 PM..
Old 01-13-2022, 5:31 PM

22lr RUGER LCRX 3" 8 SHOT
  • LIGHT WEIGHT i THINK 17 OZ....
  • FAST HANDLING
  • REAL SIGHTS AND SIGHT RADIUS IS GOOD YOU CAN HAVE NIGHT SIGHTS OR HIGH VIZ SIGHTS PUT ON FOR VISION ISSUES.
  • COMFORTABLE GRIP THAT IS EASY TO HOLD ON TO AND TAKES THE SHOCK OUT OF THE GUN WHEN IT FIRES.
  • SMOOTH ACTION SMOOTH TRIGGER ... ALTHOUGH A LITTLE HARDER THAN THE 38 SPL. MODEL TO PULL DUE TO 22lr NEEDS A STOUTER HAMMER SPRING FOR RELIABILITY
  • 8 SHOTS. THEY EVEN MAKE RELOADERS FOR IT...
I HAD A HAND ISSUE AND PURCHASED ONE OF THESE AND IT WAS FOR A TIME THE ONLY GUN I COULD HOLD AND SHOOT
I WOULD USE 22LR STINGER AMMO REALLY RELIABLE IGNITION.
THEY MAKE IT IN OTHER CALIBERS TOO.... 22 MAG BUT ONLY 6 SHOTS... I BELIEVE... 38 ETC....

• NO MAGS,
  • NO WEAK HANDING ISSUES WITH FUNCTION
  • NO RACKING THE SLIDE TO LOAD OR OVERCOME A FTF OR FTE.
  • SIMPLE POINT PULL AND KEEP ON TIL IT'S EMPTY.

ONCE THE FIRST BOOM GOES OFF THE CRIMINAL WILL HOPEFULLY BE RUNNING AWAY.

REGARDLESS BEST TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
OH A CAN OF BEAR SPRAY AND A ROOFING HAMMER/HATCHET ARE LIGHT WEIGHT AND SWING QUICKLY... OR A NICE BALL PEEN HAMMER.... A FAVORITE .... THAT COULD WORK TOO

Last edited by Ranger20; 01-13-2022 at 5:48 PM..
Old 01-13-2022, 5:41 PM
Veteran Member

How old is old? My dad is 80 and shoots a Glock 17 with Ameriglo Agent night sights pretty well. His ability limitation is just lack of practice, not hand strength or eyesight (although he wears corrective lenses). He is still going to the gym regularly though so he may not be who you have in mind.
Old 01-13-2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operavoice View Post
If I was old, and too weak to rack a slide, I'm guessing that a double action revolver trigger wouldn't be easy to pull either.
So, my "go to" (for a pistol) would probably be something with a tip up barrel, easy to cock, and low recoil.
Like a Beretta Bobcat.

As pocket semi auto pistols go, it's about as easy to handle as it gets.

I agree with this also if pulling the trigger on a DAO revolver like i mentioned in my prior post is too much the tip up barrel Bobcat would work and the 32 recoil is fairly minimal.
Old 01-13-2022, 5:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll be armed with a 12 ga shotgun of one sort or the other. Probably semiauto with +-10 00 Buck. Who wants to be first thru my door?
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 01-13-2022, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

I think the age at which we need to be considering how easy a gun is to shoot will vary with individuals. Some people are in their 50's and seeing changes. I just turned 70 and other than a floater in my right eye, I am just as strong as I used to be. Racking a shotgun or pistol or even my AR is not a problem. Perhaps someday it will, but not now..

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 01-14-2022, 1:04 AM

I have a limited number of handguns that I'm planning on using as I advance in age. They are (in no particular order):

Beretta 86 .380 with tip-up barrel (Home Defense)

Sig P238 .380 (easy to rack slide and low recoil)

S&W 30-1 .32S&W long revolver. Will get a trigger job and low recoil. Load it with Buffalo Bore Hardcast or wadcutters.

Kel-tec P-32 in .32 ACP (low recoil and light for carry)

When I can no longer operate any of those effectively; it will be time for a fifth of Jack and a large dose of self -administered morphine to exit stage left gracefully.

Last edited by Title1guy; 01-14-2022 at 11:43 PM..
Old 01-14-2022, 12:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle1886 View Post
[Snip]

This is so true and the older one gets, the more you realize it. ( I really get annoyed with comments like...'well he/she is, gonna die anyway.') I'm not finished yet, thank you very much!

I hope your back and arm get better soon, but don't push it, healing and building back strength is a process. I wish you the best Sir.

Respectfully
Kyle
You can't be that old. You know how to use the internet.

Thank you for the well-wishes. Getting better/stronger every day. Yesterday I played the bass again for the first time since breaking my arm. Did pretty well. No pain to speak of.
Old 01-14-2022, 3:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you can sit all the way down in a bath tub and get out by yourself, walk without a walker or chair... you should be fine to use a normal gun like a Glock even if you have to adapt a bit. OLD MAN strength applies to grip strength and arms for sure. Be an old gorilla.
Old 01-14-2022, 6:57 PM

Don’t f—- with old people. They got to be old for a reason.

My favorite “old man” SD video.

https://youtu.be/bmYWc6ReJbc

Old 01-14-2022, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Old 01-15-2022, 12:09 AM

Never shot a 5.7 how is the recoil?
Old 01-15-2022, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
Grams has 40 rounds!

Sent from my booger hook using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2022, 1:58 PM

OK I'd like to inject some of my thoughts into this in depth conversation.

My first question is "Can you actually hit anything with your pistol?"
If you can't hit a man sized target at 7 yards "21 feet" every single time during the day, then how do you expect to hit one in the Dark when he is moving?"

Most people can't shoot a Pistol as well as they can shoot a Rifle or Shotgun.

I have many guns and can shoot most of them pretty well. I have a Glock 21 SF with a light/laser on it in my headboard. But I also have a Mossberg 500 sitting right next to the bed that is "Cruiser Ready" with 11 rounds on board, and has a light too. I'd be grabbing it before the Glock everytime, or if I was dressed probably both with extra mags and side saddles.IE: Now we are going to WAR !!!.

On my property a 50 yard shot would be the exception, most would be under 25 yards so a shotgun is a good choice..

I have a DA Revolver that shoots .44 Specials and it would certainly stop anything that got hit by a 250 gr slug, not as good with it but still Competent.

I have a PCC .40 S&W Carbine that uses Glock mags from my G23 or G35.
Mini 14, AR SU16 and various other rifles that could be used if I could get to them. I wouldn't feel under gunned with any of them including my 10/22!

BUT!

The Shotgun is my first choice, Because it will do the most damage with ANY hit on meat. A Center Mass hit with 00 buckshot is an absolute fight ender, unless they are wearing Body armor, and if they are a shot in the crotch or blowing a leg off or an arm or their head will stop their forward motion permanently! Period!

If they are unlucky enough to receive a slug, that will stop things permanently as well.

I have been trained alot with all these weapons and that is why I pick the shotgun first,,, BUT,,, you really need to be trained on as many firearms systems as you can, because you never know what you are going to have to fight with. Being competent with many guns is IMHO better than being really good with only one!

I have a Makarov in the end table next to my Easy Chair. Not my first choice but certainly better than nothing. In my shop I have a CZ82 (9x18 Makarov) that is quickly accessible and once again not my first choice but easy to get into action quickly and both these guns have 3 extra mags with them.

So that's my story.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 01-16-2022, 2:16 PM

A 22 year old special friend that served in the special forces.
Old 01-16-2022, 2:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
OK I'd like to inject some of my thoughts into this in depth conversation.

My first question is "Can you actually hit anything with your pistol?"
If you can't hit a man sized target at 7 yards "21 feet" every single time during the day, then how do you expect to hit one in the Dark when he is moving?"

Most people can't shoot a Pistol as well as they can shoot a Rifle or Shotgun.

I have many guns and can shoot most of them pretty well. I have a Glock 21 SF with a light/laser on it in my headboard. But I also have a Mossberg 500 sitting right next to the bed that is "Cruiser Ready" with 11 rounds on board, and has a light too. I'd be grabbing it before the Glock everytime, or if I was dressed probably both with extra mags and side saddles.IE: Now we are going to WAR !!!.

On my property a 50 yard shot would be the exception, most would be under 25 yards so a shotgun is a good choice..

I have a DA Revolver that shoots .44 Specials and it would certainly stop anything that got hit by a 250 gr slug, not as good with it but still Competent.

I have a PCC .40 S&W Carbine that uses Glock mags from my G23 or G35.
Mini 14, AR SU16 and various other rifles that could be used if I could get to them. I wouldn't feel under gunned with any of them including my 10/22!

BUT!

The Shotgun is my first choice, Because it will do the most damage with ANY hit on meat. A Center Mass hit with 00 buckshot is an absolute fight ender, unless they are wearing Body armor, and if they are a shot in the crotch or blowing a leg off or an arm or their head will stop their forward motion permanently! Period!

If they are unlucky enough to receive a slug, that will stop things permanently as well.

I have been trained alot with all these weapons and that is why I pick the shotgun first,,, BUT,,, you really need to be trained on as many firearms systems as you can, because you never know what you are going to have to fight with. Being competent with many guns is IMHO better than being really good with only one!

I have a Makarov in the end table next to my Easy Chair. Not my first choice but certainly better than nothing. In my shop I have a CZ82 (9x18 Makarov) that is quickly accessible and once again not my first choice but easy to get into action quickly and both these guns have 3 extra mags with them.

So that's my story.

Randy
I agree with Randy. ^^^👍

Referring to modified handguns and police confiscation after a serious incident I got my BHP returned to me after a couple of months; it had
a trigger job, mag safety removed, Barstow custom barrel, extended controls and a 13 round magazine. No issues at all.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 01-16-2022, 3:05 PM

I'm old. My choice at the end of the day is a shotgun. The choice is based on self defense rather than pretending to be a war fighter.
Old 01-16-2022, 3:20 PM

Nothing is better than a shotgun in close quarters.
Old 01-16-2022, 3:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Which 9x18 (gun) of those two do you prefer?
Old 01-16-2022, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Please contact my attorney, their phone number is 1-800-NOWSTFU.
You can have it one way or the other; you can have it both ways; you can have it every way but not always.
Old 01-16-2022, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Same thing I would if they asked me why I modified the engine in my sports car if I were in a fatal car accident...after speaking with my attorney and having him present to stop me from saying something incriminating.

This is one of those old gun myths. Forty years ago before doing trigger mods was commonplace you might need to worry about this. Not in this day and age. If it were a real thing you would need to explain the night sights, tactical light, grip mods, red dots, etc. Yes, a DA can make whatever claims he wants. Your lawyer will have no trouble refuting them. The police are not going to care one way or another. They just collect the facts and evidence. It is the DA who makes hay out of nothing.
Old 01-16-2022, 4:32 PM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:

I'd tell them that the trigger was improved in an effort to aid my marksmanship, "since only those interested in marksmanship may be expected to hit what they're aiming at".*

And the point of any defensive use of a firearm is to stop the deadly threat of any violent criminal attack on my person or my wife's person.

*to paraphrase the enigmatic Lt. Col. J.D. "Jeff" Cooper, may he R.I.P.

"Other people’s rights dont end where your fears begin." - rcairbear

"Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy WingDings
Old 01-16-2022, 4:38 PM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew

And to answer the OP, I'll continue to practice with, and to rely on, either my .45 Auto 1911s and my "Heavy" .44 Special revolvers.

Should the time arrive that my wrists permanently resist the onslaught of the larger bores' ballistics, I may then welcome to my armory a 9mm 1911 or two. Until then, however...

There's always a 16.5" (Rossi) or an 18.5" (Marlin) .357 Magnum chambered lever action carbines. These are short, light, and handy. They're shorter overall than an 18" pump shotgun, the third type of weapon in our Home Defense rotation.

"Other people’s rights dont end where your fears begin." - rcairbear

"Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy WingDings
Old 01-16-2022, 5:52 PM
CGSSA Specialist

Claymores. .......' Front Toward Enemy '

With remote detonators

So I don't have to out of my rocker

Tumbled BRASS For Sale

Just check my Long Running Thread : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=262832
Old 01-18-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Which 9x18 (gun) of those two do you prefer?

The CZ 82 is what the Makarov wished it would have been .

The CZ is also easier on your hands and it holds 12 rounds instead of only 8.

The CZ Mag Release is also easier to use than the Mak's. That's why the Mak has a Lanyard on the Mag Release. Both shoot well and are easy to hit with, the CZ is just easier to run. The Mak got a different Barrel and Compensator added to it back in the 80's

Here is my CZ 82 bottom, Makarov center, and G36 .45 ACP. top G36 is gone now.

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464283.JPG (84.9 KB, 25 views)
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-18-2022 at 10:28 AM..