Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2019, 9:28 PM

I've partied with Satanists back in the day. The three that I knew personally were not religious AT ALL. All three were narcissists and atheists. For them, the whole devil thing was literally a "shtick", like those dudes you see at Comic Con dressed up as female anime characters. They believed in nothing, were pretty much in it for themselves, and I got the impression that all three came from pretty jacked up religious backgrounds.

Regardless, I get the feeling from this film, a lot of these people are still mad at their step dads for making them go to Sunday school and then come home and mow the lawn. Or maybe they just like raising a middle finger to institutions that they feel (real or not) have been doing the same to them. Some people are just hostile to religion in general. Now in Saudi, they would be facing decapitation for these antics. And some people in America might even agree...you know the types, the ones who think the "witches" at Salem had it coming, and gay people having sex caused God to take away his protection of America, allowing 911 to happen.

And as others here have pointed out, there are in fact very real, very tangible religious threats in the world. A bunch of cosplayers with a hardon for the church and a plaster goat man don't even rate.

“Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.”

Hunter S. Thompson
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time
Old 05-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volksgrenadier View Post
I've partied with Satanists back in the day. The three that I knew personally were not religious AT ALL. All three were narcissists and atheists. For them, the whole devil thing was literally a "shtick", like those dudes you see at Comic Con dressed up as female anime characters. They believed in nothing, were pretty much in it for themselves, and I got the impression that all three came from pretty jacked up religious backgrounds.

Regardless, I get the feeling from this film, a lot of these people are still mad at their step dads for making them go to Sunday school and then come home and mow the lawn. Or maybe they just like raising a middle finger to institutions that they feel (real or not) have been doing the same to them. Some people are just hostile to religion in general. Now in Saudi, they would be facing decapitation for these antics. And some people in America might even agree...you know the types, the ones who think the "witches" at Salem had it coming, and gay people having sex caused God to take away his protection of America, allowing 911 to happen.

And as others here have pointed out, there are in fact very real, very tangible religious threats in the world. A bunch of cosplayers with a hardon for the church and a plaster goat man don't even rate.

Well to the Christians, even this mere “joking” about Christ and the devil is very dangerous. Jesus and satan are very real in terms of one’s salvation (from hell) in the afterlife. Many don’t believe in God or the devil, or many believe in them both but just hate God. They hate God because it means they have to change their lives and follow God’s rules and not their own selfish lusts and desires.

You might be right that some people, “might be mad at their stepdads” or just want to raise their finger at the institutions of the world, etc...

Whatever their justification for these actions, they are still DENYING Christ. God gives them that choice, for if someone doesn’t want to love and obey God, God gives them what they want. They will be “absent from the Lord” in the afterlife. Again, that’s what they want and that’s exactly what a loving God gives them. Otherwise he’d be a moral monster forcing his love and will upon all of us by taking away our volition and free choice.

Those that freely choose to deny, mock, clown and/or reject Christ here and now, no matter how humorous, fun and playful they make it sound, will be denied by Christ in Heaven. (Matthew 10:33).

If we disown Christ, He will disown us (2Timothy 2:12).

Again, this movie is exactly what satan wants people to do. He wants people to clown and mock Jesus, hell and the devil himself. He wants people desensitized by it all. It’s just another one of his schemes to lead millions upon millions astray from the Lord.

Well, satan’s scheme works and God said it would be like this:
Matthew 22:14

Most people by CHOICE will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven:
Matthew 7:14

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-Trump’s SCOTUS: 2 / Dems: 0
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 05-16-2019, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
Such as:

1. Satan and God having a sporting wager, using Job and everybody around him as pawns in their little game.

2. God never apologizes to Job for wrecking his life, torturing him and even killing people around him for pure sport. His response to Job was simply that he is God, he is a bada**, so he can do whatever he wants and Job can stuff it.

3. God must have been really insecure to take Satan's challenge at all. If an enemy of mine came to me to challenge the loyalty of my friends, I'd just kindly tell them to F# off! since their opinion doesn't matter.

4. Satan acts as God's agent in the world, gaining his explicit permission to do harmful things to people.

5. Satan wanders in to God's court with all the other angels. Something no leader of a warring faction would do without eliciting a defensive reaction by God (same as you would do to a home invader). Rather, Satan walks in and out freely as a member of God's court. That is, after all, how the ancient Hebrews saw him.

Those are a few things that come to mind that really get confusing if you think that the Satan of the New Testament is the same as the one of the Old Testament. Ideas evolve. Satan hasn't always been God's enemy. Nor has he always been acting in defiance. On the contrary, in Job, he is acting with the full authorization of a pompous and insecure God.

It is certainly worth mentioning, too, that Job is not a story that is unique to the Torah. It is a familiar story in the Levant. It was likely written after the exile, putting it in the more monotheist and more dualist context. But it is almost certainly, in its original form, from an entirely different culture with different gods. It is, in other words, a story not originally about YHWH and Satan at all but reinterpreted into an Israelite pantheon. Some scholars think that it was translated into Hebrew from some other language. More likely, the Israelites picked it up while in Babylon and then reinterpreted it based on their understanding of God at the time. If you consider the shock and horror of what their culture went through by then, then Job can even be a metaphor for all of Israel. Personally, I find this idea very humanizing. Their entire culture was trying to figure out why they, God's chosen people, were conquered & dispersed. The priests had one idea (they worshipped other gods) but the author of Job had another -- they were perfectly loyal but there were greater, cosmic forces at work. The sporting bet between God and Satan certainly comes with some theological problems but those pale in comparison to the overall problems they were dealing with at the time. I can see how Job might bring them hope of a better future ahead.
A valid point you bring up and it’s been brought up countless times in history. But before I respond to your post above, I’d like to know a little bit where you’re coming from. Do you believe in the literal Jesus Christ that was and always will be God?

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 05-16-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Do you believe in the literal Jesus Christ that was and always will be God?
Why? Does it matter? Do you believe that you need special reasoning powers delivered by God through faith in Jesus in order to properly interpret the Bible?
Old 05-16-2019, 1:00 PM

I don't believe in fairytales like Saytun or Jeebus, or A-lah....

But I think the Bahpomet statue or whatever its called, looks pretty Cool...

I also think they have a point. If your going to have Religious Statues on Government property, they should be allowed to put theirs up too.

"I could walk into Walmart and pick up an AR-15 assault rifle off the shelf, but I wouldn’t be able to buy a Kinder Egg, because it’s a CHOKING HAZARD."
-Piers Morgan

“Dear America, please let Piers buy a Kinder Egg...”
-Ricky Gervais
Old 05-16-2019, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
Why? Does it matter? Do you believe that you need special reasoning powers delivered by God through faith in Jesus in order to properly interpret the Bible?
Well if you’re not willing to answer a simple question (which by default I think you just did), with all due respect and whatever your beliefs are, why should I go on with the conversation? You must not care for an answer unless it supports your side of the debate. I think you don’t want to debate and hear a differing opinion than yours and one which you explicitly detailed.

Again respectfully, typing a polite response to the point(s) you brought up with the book of Job would just be a waste of time for me then.

Again, I’m not judging you for your beliefs one way or another. That’s between you and God. But you are posting questions/issues and points to your argument in a “religious” forum and you’re specifically calling-out Christianity with that post, which I have no issue with. After all, that is your belief to do so.

However I’m confused now. Isn’t this the place you chose to openly discuss your point of view and in a civil manner?

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 05-16-2019, 5:13 PM

At issue is taking a modern English translation of the Scripture and analyzing it with a modern mind. It's a terrible hermenutic and no scholarly discipline allows for it. Imagine a 21st century historian examining the battle of Actium by a modern translation of the 1st century text and concluding that Antony lost because he failed to deploy his aircraft carriers. Lest you think that a hyperbolic analogy, today's world is rife with it. Take today's modern interpretation of the Second Ammendment. When the Forefathers wrote, "well regulated" they meant as well armed as the "regular army". By regular they were referring to the professional standing army as opposed to the amature militia in which the soldiers were employed in other fields.The modern left interprets it as meaning that the government should heavily control what firearms people have. Why? The failure to use the Gramatico-Historical method where the hermeneutic flows from the intent of the writers according to the meaning of words and the historical background of the reader of that time. Hence the terribly bad conclusions that people think God owes them and exists to give them what they want. It makes it hard to take some people and their conclusions seriously.

Last edited by RAMCLAP; 05-17-2019 at 8:22 AM..
Old 05-16-2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Well to the Christians, even this mere “joking” about Christ and the devil is very dangerous. Jesus and satan are very real in terms of one’s salvation (from hell) in the afterlife.

Most people by CHOICE will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven:
Matthew 7:14
Well, if they choose evil, f*** them, then.
“Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.”

Hunter S. Thompson
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time
Old 05-17-2019, 8:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I don’t even need to entertain the idea of watching something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro