Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-29-2019, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

Post sherriff no-go listings

one of the service techs at work showed me his ccw card, and on the back the sheriff listed By Name the place we work at.
how strange is this?
common thing?

i can see not at this or that place, but naming ones place of employment as a prohibited place??
no not a government place, it is just a privet company's truck yard. sure the co does have a no weapons policy.
just i think listing the company by name is some kind of payoff deal. or just a underhanded thing.
the county is stanislaus.
Old 04-29-2019, 7:47 PM

My ex-coworker applied for a CCW with his “good cause” being the hazards of his job, the transport of high value goods. His work signed off on his “good cause” statement with a supplemental letter and he was granted his CCW but only under the condition that he carried “on the job”. His workplace is listed on the CCW

There’s nothing I can’t kill... Cable

Guns... Lots of guns... John Wick
Old 04-29-2019, 7:53 PM

When you get your CCW you have to list your place of employment. If you want to carry at work you MUST submit a letter from your boss that says you can carry at work. Without this they list your place of employment as a restricted place. They don't want their CCW overriding company policy. I'm Stanislaus County too. I have a letter from my employer so it isn't listed on my CCW.
Old 04-29-2019, 9:16 PM
Veteran Member

ok so this is "normal" for that county.

this is something i never heard of before. (specific wording forbidding carry at named work place) as i understand it no ccw can override "work rules". sure one might legally carry there, but at the risk of losing there job, (cameras everywhere) and maybe charged (arrested for trespass).
a number of drivers here have been assaulted, even pistol whipped and getting said gun (crooks gun) to there head. company has a flat out ban on any weapon. we work 24-7-365 days a year.
crazy but a multi zillion dollar, world wide (only continent they are not on is antarctica) company is afraid of getting sued by a crook or there survivor.
Old 04-29-2019, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubullett View Post
When you get your CCW you have to list your place of employment. If you want to carry at work you MUST submit a letter from your boss that says you can carry at work. Without this they list your place of employment as a restricted place. They don't want their CCW overriding company policy. I'm Stanislaus County too. I have a letter from my employer so it isn't listed on my CCW.
one of the office lady's who works where i do, has a close relative working at the sheriffs office where i received my Ca state ccw.
none of the ccws that i know of issued here (not like i have talked to many people about this) have any "extra" no-go places, just the listed stock keep out places. so yes this company name is know at this sheriffs office.

and no way is my employer going to say yes to this.
Old 04-29-2019, 9:22 PM

Don't think it's listed on mine (Fresno County), but I know I signed something about not carrying at work unless they confirmed with my employer I had their OK, which I do not.
Old 04-29-2019, 9:56 PM

I am self employed so it was a non issue for me.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:22 PM

While I disclosed my place of employment on my application... my CCW card simply says "Medical".
Old 04-30-2019, 1:55 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubullett View Post
Absolutely not. It's IA dependent. My IA stopped worrying about carrying at work and has adopted the policy that if it's ok with your employer, you can carry. That's between you and them and the SO doesn't need to be involved.
EDIT: That is unless the job itself was the reason for issuance.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Last edited by baggss; 04-30-2019 at 2:46 PM..
Old 04-30-2019, 2:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I applied for a CCW because of where I work. Thankfully it wasn't listed as a no go place. :O
Old 04-30-2019, 3:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Absolutely not. It's IA dependent. My IA stopped worrying about carrying at work and has adopted the policy that if it's ok with your employer, you can carry. That's between you and them and the SO doesn't need to be involved.
EDIT: That is unless the job itself was the reason for issuance.
^ this. I think IA's are figuring out they ought not be in the "rule creation" business. If the state approves it, let it go. Seems to me, as soon as the IA steps in with their own version of anything, they "own" consequence of that- good/bad. Keeping all that (employers, modifications, ammo, etc.) on the state's back- makes it far easier to manage and the risk where it belongs.
Old 04-30-2019, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

his job is to repair trucks and trailers. on site only.
now as to us drivers, we go into bad areas, late at night, and nobody around. and yes a number of us have been attacked.

i just question the sheriff listing by company name to not carry at work. i see that as very odd, as it is not there job to enforce employment rules. as it is like "cannot carry at any airport". vers "cannot carry at burgstrom field".

yes there are
places one can and should carry,
places where one cannot carry and should not,
places one should not carry but can as long as it is not know about.
and not talking about legal places, (aka: the county jail house, etc) just "places".
Old 04-30-2019, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

I'm in OC - and have never heard of such a restriction.

It sounds like some ancient practice. It's perplexing that a CCW Permit that is valid just about anywhere in the state (except where restricted by law) automatically invalidates itself at a person's place of employment. I'm having difficulty reconciling the logic there.

Old 05-04-2019, 6:39 AM

My license has my profession (Mechanical Engineer) and address of employer but not the name of the employer and no mention of any restrictions as to where I can or cannot carry concealed. My company has a policy of no firearms on the premises incuding locked in the car in the parking lot. This leaves me vulnerable during my long commute but I honor the policy.

Dan
Old 05-04-2019, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
ok so this is "normal" for that county.

this is something i never heard of before. (specific wording forbidding carry at named work place) as i understand it no ccw can override "work rules". sure one might legally carry there, but at the risk of losing there job, (cameras everywhere) and maybe charged (arrested for trespass).
a number of drivers here have been assaulted, even pistol whipped and getting said gun (crooks gun) to there head. company has a flat out ban on any weapon. we work 24-7-365 days a year.
crazy but a multi zillion dollar, world wide (only continent they are not on is antarctica) company is afraid of getting sued by a crook or there survivor.
Jesus sounds like my job except it’s city and county of SF!
Old 05-04-2019, 7:38 AM
Veteran Member

Mine does have my works address, but does not say “no go” or not valid at. I cannot carry while I am “on the clock” my CCW is a “standard “ and has other unchecked boxes such as “employ” “judicial “ “reserve “, and “custodial “. Under “restrictions (if any)” it is blank. Sac country is my IA.
Old 05-04-2019, 7:40 AM
Veteran Member

Also, perhaps they called his place of employment and they specifically said they do not want him carrying on premises.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Michael View Post
Also, perhaps they called his place of employment and they specifically said they do not want him carrying on premises.
5 stars---head of the class.
Old 05-05-2019, 7:14 AM

No restrictions listed on my lic. (SacCo) other then the no alcohol boiler plate restrict) The interviewer saw where I worked and most likely already knew the companies policy of firearms on the premises. When asked if I would carry at work I recited the company policy verbatim. He moved onto the next question.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Interesting, although my profession is listed, only the street address of my employer is listed. My employer (by name) is not listed nor is the city where it is.

Dan
Old 05-05-2019, 2:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Mine from the Madera Police Department is probably similar to the Madera Sheriff's Department has 5 places or when I can't carry

01. Under influence of medication
02. In Commercial Airport
03. In Courthouse
04. On School Grounds
05. Where firearms are prohibited. So #5 is probably the catch all if not allowed at work, etc.