Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Default 922(g) and tourists/students

It appears that 922(g) prohibits people here on nonresident visas from possessing firearms:

922(g) It shall be unlawful for any person—

(5) who, being an alien—

(B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)));

to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

(y) Provisions Relating to Aliens Admitted Under Nonimmigrant Visas.—

(2)Exceptions.—Subsections (d)(5)(B), (g)(5)(B), and (s)(3)(B)(v)(II) do not apply to any alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that alien is—

(A) admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States;

(B) an official representative of a foreign government who is—

(i) accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States; or

(ii) en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited;

(C) an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or

(D) a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

Does this mean that a tourist or student is prohibited from going to a range and either renting a gun or using a gun that belongs to someone else who is present?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:57 AM
🇺🇸 jack-booted gov thug
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

This is not new.

The 2 most common ways this is dealt with:

MYOB and take them shooting privately
Have them get a hunting license

-------

Last edited by Ubermcoupe; 01-14-2019 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: I haz the speeling errors
Old 01-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...365689861.html I guess they even arrest some people for it, wow

Quote:
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 01-14-2019, 5:25 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Does this mean that a tourist or student is prohibited from going to a range and either renting a gun or using a gun that belongs to someone else who is present?
Yes, doing so violates Federal laws. [18 USC 922(g)(5)(B)]

If they have a valid hunting license, then it would be legal under Federal laws. [18 USC 922(y)(2)(A)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 01-14-2019 at 5:28 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder how the MG rental places in Vegas deal with it. My understanding is they see quite a few tourists from out of the country.

I see two options: don't ask/don't tell, or require evidence of residency or hunting license.

I wonder whether the store owner in the article I linked could have been charged: when he was provided with an out of country DL as ID, that gave him reason to believe that they weren't residents and he still rented the guns to them.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2019, 6:00 PM

Enforcement of this law would cut down on the number of times people are muzzle-swept by many times lol

I remember the good old days of Jackson Arms when foreign kids who couldn't speak a word of English would roll through, struggle with the elementary safe handling test, be allowed to go on the range anyway, then proceed to violate every one of the four rules.

Do you have a CZ PCR or P-01, a Kel-Tec P-11, a WASR, a fixed mag Draco, or a gen 2 or 3 PSAK-47? Let me know as I may be interested in buying or trading for those.
Old 01-14-2019, 6:16 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I wonder how the MG rental places in Vegas deal with it. My understanding is they see quite a few tourists from out of the country.

I see two options: don't ask/don't tell, or require evidence of residency or hunting license.
Varies.

Seen one place make alien tourists sign up for a "rental package", which includes them obtaining a NV Apprentice Hunting License with their personal range master having a NV Hunting License and acting as their hunting mentor, so they can legally shoot at the rental range.

NV Apprentice Hunting License = need to be 12 years of age or older and never had a NV Hunting License. No class/training required, just need to be with a hunting mentor (who has a NV Hunting License). Only valid for one hunting season.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 01-14-2019 at 6:18 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 7:34 PM

I had some random Indian guy come up to me in front of the gun store wanting me to rent a gun for him to shoot because he wasn't on a permanent visa. I told him to talk to the shop if he wants to shoot so much, I'm not risking a felony for some douche.

I wasn't sure if it was illegal for a tourist to rent a gun then, but now I know thanks to this thread.
Old 01-14-2019, 8:24 PM

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...-of-gun-charge

Did not work out well for this guy.
Old 01-14-2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:
to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
If an alien was in Arizona and purchased a Ruger that was manufactured in the state, and never left the state, it seems it would be legal.
Old 01-14-2019, 9:07 PM

Nah, everything affects interstate commerce. See wickard v filburn

Do you have a CZ PCR or P-01, a Kel-Tec P-11, a WASR, a fixed mag Draco, or a gen 2 or 3 PSAK-47? Let me know as I may be interested in buying or trading for those.
Old 01-15-2019, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

So, lets say I want to take a nonresident shooting. Probably just a one time thing.

What's the cheapest/easiest hunting license to get?

Quote:
Old 01-15-2019, 4:01 PM

The Arkansas Deferred Hunter Education license is free, and you can get it online in roughly 1 minute.

https://www.agfc.com/en/resources/li...ntinglicenses/
Old 01-15-2019, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member

Under federal statute 42 U.S.C. § 666(a)(13) and Arkansas Code § 17-1-104, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission (AGFC) is legally required to request that you disclose your social security number (SSN) when you apply for an AGFC license. The disclosure is mandatory, and without it AGFC cannot issue you an AGFC license unless you provide documentation from the federal Social Security Administration that no SSN has been assigned to you. Once collected, your SSN will be securely hashed and stored for use under the State’s child support enforcement program to locate individuals for purposes of establishing paternity and establishing, modifying, and enforcing support obligations. Once so stored, your SSN will not be viewable in its original plaintext form by anyone, including AGFC employees, and will not be requested again.

I'm curious as to how a nonresident would get around that

Quote:
Old 01-15-2019, 7:24 PM

You check the little exempt box and says that you do not have a SSN.

"The license system has an exempt feature if a social security number has not been assigned to you by the Social Security Administration."
Old 01-15-2019, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

It says you have to provide documentation from SSA, wasn't sure whether that just meant checking a box or something more than that.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:39 PM

Default Why??

Why do we want/care if furriners are not allowed to ?
... here in our USA?

They can H1B their shooting back in their homeland.