Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-14-2019, 12:20 AM

Default "Modern" black powder revolvers?

Just starting out on a quest for a "modern" black powder revolver. Is anyone familiar with such a thing?

I'm aware of many target pistols, and not at all interested in the various replica weapons.

At least I don't think I am. I have given some thought to the fact that they were the zenith of development of the type.

Comments?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:29 AM
Calguns Addict

"Modern" is a broad term but two that come to mind are both in stainless steel, more modern metal , which can be easier to keep clean when using real black powder.

The first one is a Ruger old army in black powder (shooting 45 caliber lead balls )

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...tainless-steel

and the second one is the NAA North American Arms "C.B.", for cap and ball that one shoots 22 caliber bullet shaped projectiles, I believe.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:45 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Up late, aren't we.

The Ruger is nice looking, also discontinued but are probably out there. Are black powder pistols required to be "on roster" for us here in the republic?

The NA appears to be .22 only. It does have the look I see in my mind's eye. Clean lines, stainless, easier to clean.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:48 AM

Nice one on GB right now. But not available for sale here (according to their write up).

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796252684
Old 01-14-2019, 12:50 AM

Another, this one stainless

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796318215
Old 01-14-2019, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmo View Post
Another, this one stainless

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796318215
Be careful on the Ruger Old Army Stainless. It will corrode. I went to an auction of a deceased gun store owner, and one of the guns was an Old Army still new in the box. I'd been looking for one so got excited. When I took the gun out of the box and turned it over the entire back side was deeply pitted. There were other Rugers NIB including a stainless Vaquero in 44-40 in perfect condition. Same safe, same environment. The NIB blues were also in perfect condition. So I wonder if the stainless Ruger used on the Old Army was a different alloy?? I do know that 304 stainless will rust, as will 316L. BTW most of those NIB Rugers and now in my safe.... :-)

Last edited by condor; 01-14-2019 at 8:18 AM..
Old 01-14-2019, 9:22 AM

isnt there a new made SAA replica that is cap and ball?
Old 01-14-2019, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

You're absolutely right 19k, Uberti makes a black-powder version that appears to be a clone / copy of a Colt Single Action Army (S.A.A. 1873.)

The problem with that design is there's no loading lever , to press the lead balls down into their chambers in the cylinder, built into the gun.

So that means you have to have a separate loading block lever device and keep it with you whenever and wherever you want to load your pistol, which to me is a deal-breaker.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...eel-frame-blue
Old 01-14-2019, 9:58 AM

I like my 1858 Remington, which you can change cylinders. Use it for Civil War reenacting.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Just starting out on a quest for a "modern" black powder revolver. Is anyone familiar with such a thing?

I'm aware of many target pistols, and not at all interested in the various replica weapons.

At least I don't think I am. I have given some thought to the fact that they were the zenith of development of the type.

Comments?

If it isn't a replica, then it isn't classified as antique and that means a FFL would be required to transfer them in every state. The market for such a thing (a black powder revolver that needs a FFL transfer) would be pretty small then.

I'm not sure what features you consider modern, but I doubt you are going to find such a thing in a BP revolver. They are replicas, and specifically replicas of very old models, for a reason.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921

Quote:
(16) The term “antique firearm” means—
(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or
(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica—
(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-14-2019 at 10:28 AM..
Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Hudson View Post
I like my 1858 Remington, which you can change cylinders. Use it for Civil War reenacting.
I agree and there are Stainless Steel 1858's available.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what features you consider modern
At this point I'm not sure what I meant either. I guess what I thought I might find is an equivalent of the black powder hunting rifles that are now being manufactured by CVA, etc. Clean lines, updated ergonomics (along the lines of single shot target pistols), quick change cylinder, etc.

Westlake Engineering is the closest I've found to what I think I'm after. They're going "reverse conversions"... converting convention cartridge pistols to cap & ball.

And WHY do I want this thing? We all know what's coming in July. If the State of California is planning on legislating our ammunition, as they currently understand it, then perhaps it's time to change platforms.

What I am unclear on is whether black powder C&B weapons OF NEW CONSTRUCTION can even be purchased here in California.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:32 AM

Westlake revolver conversion

Westlake ML.jpg
Old 01-14-2019, 1:42 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Westlake Engineering is the closest I've found to what I think I'm after. They're going "reverse conversions"... converting convention cartridge pistols to cap & ball.
Yes, and that requires a FFL to obtain the centerfire revolver (at least in CA). But if you are worried about getting ammo and want a modern revolver that shoots black powder, well then that may be the easiest way to go.

Quote:

What I am unclear on is whether black powder C&B weapons OF NEW CONSTRUCTION can even be purchased here in California.
CA law follows Federal law when it comes to antique firearms, at least for purposes of acquistion.

Antique firearms do not need a FFL and are roster exempt in CA. So YES - new construction black powder weapons CAN be obtained in CA **IF** they meet fed definition of antique, and for REVOLVERS that means they must be replicas of designs that existed before 1899 if they are to be transferred without using a FFL.

If you find someone making a modern revolver that is not a replica that does shoot BP, then YES it can be exempt from the CA roster if it is a single action revolver of at least 5 shots and meeting certain other dimensional requirements, and a FFL is used to transfer it.

But that is a topic for another discussion, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole on this for what seems like a crazy idea. You are starting to play what if and a whole host of various laws come into play and into conflict depending on where you want to go.

Just get that Westlake thing, a matching centerfire revolver to use it in, and be done with it if you want a 'modern' BP revolver. It looks pretty slick if that's your thing. Of course you will need an external press of some sort to load balls into the cylinder, every-time you want to reload.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-14-2019 at 1:48 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 1:59 PM

Get a uberti 1851 (the London model is pretty sweet) in .36 caliber and some real black powder.

Good quality, great ergonomics, and uses a small amount of powder.

If yours does not work out of the box (they are about 300 bucks, so be realistic) there are several gunsmiths that specialize in tuning these for around 150 bucks and you can ship it cheaply thru the mail. A tuned 1851 is a thing of beauty, history and genius.
Old 01-14-2019, 2:43 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgatodeacero View Post
Get a uberti 1851 (the London model is pretty sweet) in .36 caliber and some real black powder.

Good quality, great ergonomics, and uses a small amount of powder.

Looks like a nice gun! I may have to grab one, they are on sale at Midway right now.

I have a couple of Pietta .36s now, a replica Griswold & Gunnison which was a Confederate clone of the 1851 Colt, and a replica Spiller & Burr which was a Confederate clone of the 1854 Whitney.

The Spiller and Burr is cool because of the full frame.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-14-2019 at 5:53 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 3:11 PM

Quote:
new construction black powder weapons CAN be obtained in CA **IF** they meet fed definition of antique, and for REVOLVERS that means they must be replicas of designs that existed before 1899 if they are to be transferred without using a FFL.
I was under the impression that these had to actually BE antique weapons, so this has cleared up a lot in my mind.

I'm not dead set against a replica (the ones you've introduced me to), but I have large hands and most of the BP pistols I've handled have grips that feel too short in my hand (compared to CZ75 use).

Thanks discussion Gents.
Old 01-14-2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression that these had to actually BE antique weapons, so this has cleared up a lot in my mind.

I'm not dead set against a replica (the ones you've introduced me to), but I have large hands and most of the BP pistols I've handled have grips that feel too short in my hand (compared to CZ75 use).

Thanks discussion Gents.
My understanding is in general it can't be a replica of a cartridge firing antique firearm.
Cartridge firing firearm must be mfg prior to Jan 1, 1899 to be classified as a antique.
If you are willing to spend a bit, this might be worth giving consideration:
https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sch...li-target.html

this one is not stainless steel:
https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sch...rn-pedersoli-c
Old 01-14-2019, 4:05 PM

Both the 1851 Uberti's from Midway are on backorder.
As an aside, don't you just hate it when vendors put something on sale then list it as out of stock?

Last edited by Russ661; 01-14-2019 at 4:08 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
If it isn't a replica, then it isn't classified as antique and that means a FFL would be required to transfer them in every state. The market for such a thing (a black powder revolver that needs a FFL transfer) would be pretty small then.

I'm not sure what features you consider modern, but I doubt you are going to find such a thing in a BP revolver. They are replicas, and specifically replicas of very old models, for a reason.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921
No this is wrong. You copy and pasted subsection (A) and (B) but didn't read (C) for some reason?

(C) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term “antique firearm” shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

http://activejunky.com/invite/186564
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32948177

Last edited by MajorSideburns; 01-14-2019 at 6:25 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Antique firearms do not need a FFL and are roster exempt in CA. So YES - new construction black powder weapons CAN be obtained in CA **IF** they meet fed definition of antique, and for REVOLVERS that means they must be replicas of designs that existed before 1899 if they are to be transferred without using a FFL.

If you find someone making a modern revolver that is not a replica that does shoot BP, then YES it can be exempt from the CA roster if it is a single action revolver of at least 5 shots and meeting certain other dimensional requirements, and a FFL is used to transfer it.
No this is all wrong, stop perpetuating this. Re-read the USC you cited in the posts above. As long as a firearm (revolver, pistol, rifle, or shotgun) is constructed to load from the muzzle and designed to use blackpowder or similar substitute it is considered "antique" and thus not regulated as a firearm federally (or in CA)
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2019, 6:46 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSideburns View Post
No this is all wrong, stop perpetuating this. Re-read the USC you cited in the posts above. As long as a firearm (revolver, pistol, rifle, or shotgun) is constructed to load from the muzzle and designed to use blackpowder or similar substitute it is considered "antique" and thus not regulated as a firearm federally (or in CA)
If it can be readily converted to use centerfire or other fixed ammo (which a revolver can be) - then it does not qualify for the blanket antique BP exemption and it must be a replica.

If it CANNOT be readily converted to fire centerfire ammo or other fixed ammo, then yes it can be anything and does not have to be a replica.

There are two antique exemptions for modern made black powder arms: one that applies to firearms without replaceable barrels, breech blocks etc, and one that applies to the rest of the black powder firearms.

One is 18 USC 921(b). That one says they must be a replica arm if they are modern. This is the one that applies to, among other things, modern BP revolver replicas.

The other one, which you speak of 18 USC 921(c) has a key exception:

Quote:
(C) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term “antique firearm” shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.
These blackpowder revolvers can be readily converted to fire fixed ammo via a conversion cylinder. So they do not qualify for the blanket 'anything black powder' exemption. The only reason they qualify is because of the 'replica' exemption.

There are some black powder firearms that require a FFL to transfer specifically for this reason. Examples:

Quote:
• Savage Model 10ML (early, 1st version)
• Mossberg 500 shotgun with muzzle loading barrel
• Remington 870 shotgun with muzzle loading barrel
• Mauser 98 rifle with muzzle loading barrel
• SKS rifle with muzzle loading barrel
• PB sM10 pistol with muzzle loading barrel
• H&R/New England Firearm Huntsman
• Thompson Center Encore/Contender
• Rossi .50 muzzle loading rifle
And that is not a complete list.

Just because they are muzzle loading does not automatically make them antique or otherwise exempt from the GCA of 1968.
https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...aspdf/download

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-14-2019 at 7:01 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
The other one, which you speak of 18 USC 921(c) has a key exception:

These blackpowder revolvers can be readily converted to fire fixed ammo via a conversion cylinder. So they do not qualify for the blanket 'anything black powder' exemption. The only reason they qualify is because of the 'replica' exemption.

There are some black powder firearms that require a FFL to transfer specifically for this reason. Examples:

And that is not a complete list.

Just because they are muzzle loading does not automatically make them antique or otherwise exempt from the GCA of 1968.
https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...aspdf/download
No, all the firearms you listed as an example all require an FFL because they are models using actual modern smokeless firearm receivers. Receivers that were designed to use modern smokeless cartridges. They are receivers which started life as a firearm in ATF's eyes, and then were converted to blackpowder with a barrel change. A Remington 870 with blackpowder barrel is still using a common Remington 870 receiver, but it has been converted with a barrel change. The law clearly points that out, as you quoted. the term “antique firearm” shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver,

Revolvers or pistols or any other muzzleloader that are created and designed as original blackpowder muzzleloaders are considered antique firearms as the subsection (C) states, as long as it is not readily convertible by barrel, breech block, or bolt. Read it again

Old 01-14-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
If it can be readily converted to use centerfire or other fixed ammo (which a revolver can be) - then it does not qualify for the blanket antique BP exemption and it must be a replica.
I understand what you are saying about the replica clause, but just re-read that section (C) again I think you will see what I mean

Here is a blackpowder offering from NAA, not a replica of an antique firearm:
https://northamericanarms.com/shop/f...s/naa-22lr-cb/
The NAA Companion is available for sale without going through an FFL Dealer in the United States because it is a black powder firearm. However, you will need to fill out and send us the Cap and Ball Waiver Form. If your residence is in: District of Columbia, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, or Washington

Last edited by MajorSideburns; 01-14-2019 at 10:25 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Looks like a nice gun! I may have to grab one, they are on sale at Midway right now.

I have a couple of Pietta .36s now, a replica Griswold & Gunnison which was a Confederate clone of the 1851 Colt, and a replica Spiller & Burr which was a Confederate clone of the 1854 Whitney.

The Spiller and Burr is cool because of the full frame.

These are really good looking pieces! I had to google the 1854 Whitney since I had no idea what it was, I'm impressed Pietta made a replica of something which was produced in such low numbers

Old 01-14-2019, 11:04 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I understand what you are saying about the replica clause, but just re-read that section (C) again I think you will see what I mean

Here is a blackpowder offering from NAA, not a replica of an antique firearm:
https://northamericanarms.com/shop/f...s/naa-22lr-cb/
The NAA Companion is available for sale without going through an FFL Dealer in the United States because it is a black powder firearm.
I actually had one of those. Got rid of it after a projectile bounced off a water jug at 30 feet and landed back on my shoe

However, no one makes a conversion cylinder for that. NAA went out of their way to *make sure* the rimfire cylinder would not install into or work in the BP version. See:
https://northamericanarms.com/faqs/

Quote:
Can I use cylinders from cartridge firing minirevolvers in my Companion?

No, a Companion cannot fire cartridge-type ammunition; the cap & ball model uses a transfer pin to deliver a center fire strike against a primer cap, as compared to a blade striking a cartridge rim. Additionally, the cartridge cylinder is smaller than the Companion cylinder and ‘slops around’ within the Companion frame. Nor will a .22 cartridge fit within a Companion cylinder, even with the nipples removed. Don’t even think of going there.
Quote:
Cylinders

Can a rimfire cylinder work in a black powder frame?

No, the guns have different firing pins, they cannot be interchanged.
So it is hard to say which exemption NAA relies on for that gun, (b) or (c). But it sure seems that they relied on (c) - cannot be readily converted.

And remember that the (b) replica exemption does not exist for no reason. Viewed in light of exemption (c) and it’s glaring restriction, it would seem that the (b) exemption says (paraphrasing) “it is OK if it is readily converted to fixed ammo so long as it is a replica”. And perhaps that then is why so many centerfire conversion cylinders exist for these replicas, and why these replica makers have not taken any steps to prevent those cylinders from dropping in and readily working.

The question for this NAA BP then, is can it be readily converted, and which exemption does it qualify for?

Quote:
These are really good looking pieces! I had to google the 1854 Whitney since I had no idea what it was, I'm impressed Pietta made a replica of something which was produced in such low numbers
I think actual surviving copies of these Confederate clones go for like $25k - $50k, maybe more, so I am glad Pietta makes some replicas And keep in mind, it is actually a replica of a replica! If you think the actual Whitney was made in low numbers for the Union, imagine that the Confederate clone (Spiller and Burr) of the Whitney was made in far fewer numbers, maybe 1/20th as many. (~1500). So it is pretty cool that Pietta cloned such a little known piece.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-15-2019 at 9:30 AM..
Old 01-15-2019, 9:21 AM

May I synopsize ... if it's a newly manufactured "replica" of a previously manufactured weapon, it's exempt from the CA roster, and may be purchased directly from a seller (on line, or otherwise)?

edit - by a California resident.
Old 01-15-2019, 9:28 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
May I synopsize ... if it's a newly manufactured "replica" of a previously manufactured weapon, it's exempt from the CA roster, and may be purchased directly from a seller (on line, or otherwise)?

Yes, but you forgot to add that for antique exemption (b) it (essentially) has to be black powder and needs to be a replica of a weapon that was made before 1899.

Old 01-15-2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:

Any single action (only) revolver is exempt from the CA roster, regardless of age or model or replica status. That was something lobbied into the law by the cowboy action groups when the "safe" roster was conceived. But of course you can not order or have a modern cartridge single action revolver shipped to you without going first through an FFL. So don't confuse the concept of "roster exemption" with "antique non-firearm status".

Old 01-15-2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
I actually had one of those. Got rid of it after a projectile bounced off a water jug at 30 feet and landed back on my shoe

However, no one makes a conversion cylinder for that. NAA went out of their way to *make sure* the rimfire cylinder would not install into or work in the BP version. See:
https://northamericanarms.com/faqs/

So it is hard to say which exemption NAA relies on for that gun, (b) or (c). But it sure seems that they relied on (c) - cannot be readily converted.

And remember that the (b) replica exemption does not exist for no reason. Viewed in light of exemption (c) and it’s glaring restriction, it would seem that the (b) exemption says (paraphrasing) “it is OK if it is readily converted to fixed ammo so long as it is a replica”. And perhaps that then is why so many centerfire conversion cylinders exist for these replicas, and why these replica makers have not taken any steps to prevent those cylinders from dropping in and readily working.

The question for this NAA BP then, is can it be readily converted, and which exemption does it qualify for?

I think actual surviving copies of these Confederate clones go for like $25k - $50k, maybe more, so I am glad Pietta makes some replicas And keep in mind, it is actually a replica of a replica! If you think the actual Whitney was made in low numbers for the Union, imagine that the Confederate clone (Spiller and Burr) of the Whitney was made in far fewer numbers, maybe 1/20th as many. (~1500). So it is pretty cool that Pietta cloned such a little known piece.
I think you are correct here, they are relying on "not readily converted". I guess if some machinist or company started mass producing drop-in conversion cylinders for sale, they might have to revisit their exemption or probably a court case would come up eventually to clarify it

Old 01-15-2019, 4:55 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Interesting related post from today by another member in another thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1503808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Auction house insisted that it does require DROS as it is not made before 1899, is not a replica of any model made before 1899 and can be readily converted to a cartridge gun.
The blackpowder Ruger Old Army is based on their Blackhawk, not any gun made before 1899.

I guess 8 - 10 years ago, ATF was circulating a memo about guns like the Ruger Old Army. We have a few more threads here on Calguns:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...4&postcount=10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOdessa View Post
Here is the answer from the seller, Lock, Stock & Barrel Investments, and this is how FUD starts, the seller is just too lazy to read the regulations or contact the ATF directly.

A: This is not an error. ATF has determined that this gun is not classified as antique. Thus it is a modern firearm. It is not a pre-1899 produced firearm nor is it a percussion reproduction of a gun made before 1899. Folks in the business have been caught on this technicality and many just assume all percussion's are antique - but that is not the case. Spencer
And a reply directly from the FFL:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock-stock-and-barrel View Post
When we challenged this with our last auditor, this is how it was explained to us... (See responses below). I assure you we are neither lazy nor stupid, we sell thousands of guns every year and comply with state and federal law on all of them. We are dedicated and hard working dealers, known and respected collectors and accomplished competitive shooters here and do whatever we can to support gun ownership and the reasonable application of gun laws. But...

As defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(16) the term “antique firearm” means —

A. any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

Ruger Old Army was not manufactured before 01.01.1899

B. any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A)

Ruger Old Army is not a replica of anything made before 01.01.1899

C. any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term ‘antique firearm’ shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon, which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

The cylinder is a "breechblock" and conversion cylinders are readily available. Thus, this gun could be "easily converted to fire fixed ammunition".

The big difference between the Old Army and all the Italian imports is that the Italian guns are true reproductions of Antiques and satisfy B from above. The Ruger Old Army does not.

While we do not agree with the law, we do feel the need to comply with it and this was confirmed during our last ATF audit. Someone should challenge this, but we do not have the time nor the money to do so. Until ATF declares otherwise, we need to follow their auditor's and our attorney's orders, which do indeed seem to be supported by written law.

Spencer

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-15-2019 at 5:04 PM..
Old 01-15-2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks discussion Gents.
Have you handled all the various Army/Navy/Dragoon/Police models from both Uberti and Pietti? There are grip differences between the model grips and between the companies. Off the top of my head I believe the Army grips are a bit longer than the Navy grips and that the 61 Navy has the Army grips on the 51 navy frame. Seems to me Uberti also flares the bottom of the grips more than Pietta. Or I could be wrong. Been a few years since I last looked at the revolvers.

Skyhawk, I got a G&G revolver back in '75 from Navy Arms in 44 cal. It was my first C&B one and I still have it.
Old 01-15-2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks discussion Gents.
Look at the Remington 1858 replicas. They have a much longer grip than the Colt models which all feel fairly short to me as well. Or go big with the Colt 1847 Walker!