Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Calguns Disaster Info/Assistance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Disaster Info/Assistance Calgunners Helping Calgunners

Old 01-14-2019, 7:05 AM

Default Experiences with the Thomas Fire and subsequent Debris flow

I've been meaning to post in this thread for a while but have been busy with clean up so I have been waiting for some down time to post We were hit with the Thomas fire in Dec of 2017 and then were hit with the follow up debris flow in Jan of 2018. There is a lot of good information in this sun forum, but I'll add my experiences from the last year and what has transpired since the events of a year ago. I'll try to post periodically about various things as time permits but feel free to ask about anything that you might be interested in.

Things I'll try to go over are prep/planning, (what I did and what I would do differently), dealing with evacuations ( expect to be told you cannot go home for weeks not days), cleaning up, rebuilding, Gov help (the feds were great, the state/local govs sucked and continue to suck), running the Insurance gauntlet (I have USAA and they have been horrible, AIG, AAA, and Allstate really took care of business for their policy holders), and what you can expect from utilities (weeks for power/internet, land line over 3 months).

Please keep in mind this will be for my experience and yours will be dependent on your particular situation

FWIW, I posted a lessons learned in the off topic section after the fire and if you are interested, here is the link. The mods can decide if it might be better in this sub forum.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ht=thomas+fire
Old 01-14-2019, 7:21 AM

Planning and prep for a fire-
As has been said often, clear around your structures. Fire personnel say they want at least 100' but clear more if you can. Also clear tree limbs to 6' off the deck to remove the "fire ladders". If possible plant plants with high water content around the house to provide a wet buffer. We also put out rainbirds around the property to saturate the ground. IT was clear from the burn lines that the areas where this was done was effective.

There are many document lists that have been posted of things to take and so I will not go into that as the existing lists are excellent. However, think about keeping copies of those docs in multiple locations. Safe deposit boxes, at work or where ever you think will be safe. Include in this a video of all of your belongings and structures. When going thru burned things you will forget what was there and it also provides a record for the insurance company.

If you are in a fire prone area, you should also think about different scenarios for your prep. For example, if the fire is coming from a long distance what will you do for final prep? It is different than if you are running for your life because it started at midnight close to your house. Also think about what you will do if you are away from your house when a fire starts and they close off your area. Know back ways to get to your house and we found using the kids/pets are still at the house and I need to bet there to evac them works wonders for getting through. I'll give more details on house prep in the next message later today.