Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 10-18-2020, 7:40 PM
TS77 TS77 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nickel and Dime
Posts: 1,586
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Tbh practical social range for a pcc is about 100 yards which is more than enough for any realistic shtf situation in urban and suburban california.

And of course the most realistic scenario -- using on pistol-only ranges!!

Nice buy op
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 10-18-2020, 9:35 PM
ScottsBad's Avatar
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,028
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
I have no illusions about the capabilities of a 9mm rifle, I like it cause it's fun. Fun to build, fun to shoot, fun to play games with (USPSA).

It's also what the original poster was asking about, so I figured I'd give my insight based on my (admittedly) limited experience from building two 9mm ARs and owning a Ruger PCC, the subject of this thread.

I don't buy guns planning for the end of times, because if the end of times came while I was living in California (Alameda), walking around with a rifle would be a good way to get dead early in the game. I figure if that scenario does develop, I'd be better off being armed, and having nobody know it until it was too late. Silence & stealth until I got out of the urban areas, and to my (if I believed in the whole end of times stuff) stash in the mountains, where I'd have (again, if I believed in the end of times stuff) my hideout, food, guns, transport, etc.

Since I don't waste my money stashing guns for the end of times, my primary focus is shooting what I have. To that end, I don't buy ammo, I reload. I have more brass than I'll ever use at this point, plenty of powder and primers to get me through the current shortages, and bullets a'plenty. And since I just left California, I'm no longer limited in what I can buy with regards to handguns, rifle features, magazine limits, or purchasing restrictions so maybe a short barreled rifle stamp, or AR pistol will be in the picture, haven't decided yet. For me the whole gun thing is for fun. And shooting 9mm rifles is fun. So is shooting .223 rifles, .50 Beowulf rifles, .30-06 rifles, .30 Carbine rifles, .308 rifles, .22 rifles, and pistols in all calibers too.
First, I want to say that I'm envious that you managed to escape Commiefornia.

I didn't intend to be critical of you, it was just an observation really meant for everyone. I was making the observation about PCCs because I think some folks in the thread were mentioning taking game.

And don't get me wrong, I have some PCCs and I like shooting them. I was just exploring the practical role of the PCC. A lot of talk going on these days about violence coming, so I wanted to share some of the things I've observed about the PCCs in that role too.

You can carry a full sized AR in two pieces in a large back pack, and 9mm pistol under your jacket to get out of town.

A good PCC for getting out of town might be the KelTec SUB2000 for instance, folds down thin (like a little over 2"), its light at 4 lbs, and short (16.25" folded) . Its hinged to fold out quickly even with a mag already in it.

That's all.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 10-19-2020 at 2:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 10-18-2020, 9:55 PM
Robert1234's Avatar
Robert1234 Robert1234 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arizona finally!!
Posts: 2,444
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Don't get me wrong, I have some PCCs and I like shooting them. I was just exploring the practical role of the PCC. A lot of talk going on these days about SHTF, so I wanted to share some of the things I've observed about the PCCs in that role.

The KelTec SUB2000 for instance. It folds down thin and short and pops out quickly even with a mag in it. Great if you can't or won't carry a full sized carbine.

That's all.
I have a Sub2K, they're great for what they are, fun little guns you can throw in a backpack or the backseat of your truck.

I've kept mine low profile, internal upgrades (steel parts to replace plastic, trigger, etc.) and the Red Lion Precision handguard, and cheap but reliable TRS-25 red dot, and it it still folds flat. Not bad accuracy either, but not anything I'd call a tack driver. It can hit a person size target at 100 yards, though not sure how much energy the bullet would have at that range.

SUB2K.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 10-18-2020, 10:14 PM
ScottsBad's Avatar
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,028
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
I have a Sub2K, they're great for what they are, fun little guns you can throw in a backpack or the backseat of your truck.

I've kept mine low profile, internal upgrades (steel parts to replace plastic, trigger, etc.) and the Red Lion Precision handguard, and cheap but reliable TRS-25 red dot, and it it still folds flat. Not bad accuracy either, but not anything I'd call a tack driver. It can hit a person size target at 100 yards, though not sure how much energy the bullet would have at that range.
Nice, I've kept mine stock so far, but I was looking at the RLP forearm because I'd like to put an RDS on it and still be able to fold it.

How do you like the forearm? Any problems staying put?

You're right too, the trigger needs to either be better plastic or metal.

It's not the most comfortable or pleasant rifle to shoot, but man does it fold up well. I've found mine (I have a G17 and G19 compatible models) to be pretty decently accurate at 50 yards for a folding plastic gun with irons, And thank God for freedom week.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 10-18-2020, 10:24 PM
Robert1234's Avatar
Robert1234 Robert1234 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arizona finally!!
Posts: 2,444
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Nice, I've kept mine stock so far, but I was looking at the RLP forearm because I'd like to put an RDS on it and still be able to fold it.

How do you like the forearm? Any problems staying put?

You're right too, the trigger needs to either be better plastic or metal.

It's not the most comfortable or pleasant rifle to shoot, but man does it fold up well. I've found mine (I have a G17 and G19 compatible models) to be pretty decently accurate at 50 yards for a folding plastic gun with irons, And thank God for freedom week.
The Red Lion Precision handguard is the best money you'll spend on that gun. Not cheap, but it gives a solid mounting point for a dot. The plastic rail is garbage, look at it and you'll notice it's not flat and had tons of flex.

M Carbo has some good upgrades, trigger stuff, bolt kits to convert aluminum bushings to steel, aluminum trigger, springs, and a stainless steel feedramp to replace the plastic one in the gun. The trigger will always be crap, but it's now like a 3 lb crap trigger instead of a 7 lb crap trigger. The feedramp is also a must have, the plastic one gets chewed up pretty quick.

I put the cantilevered rail on it to get the dot higher, and further back. Looks cool too. Got rid of the iron sights, they were too low, and I don't anticipate needing them for my purposes. Just a brass hose collar from a welding hose repair kit to protect the sight threads,held on by a thread protector on the barrel threads.

It folds in half with no issues and it a flat package. It almost fits in the Kel Tec case for it, the dot is a little high, and the top of it won't let the zipper close. Close enough for me though.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 10-19-2020, 2:08 PM
ScottsBad's Avatar
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,028
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
The Red Lion Precision handguard is the best money you'll spend on that gun. Not cheap, but it gives a solid mounting point for a dot. The plastic rail is garbage, look at it and you'll notice it's not flat and had tons of flex.

M Carbo has some good upgrades, trigger stuff, bolt kits to convert aluminum bushings to steel, aluminum trigger, springs, and a stainless steel feedramp to replace the plastic one in the gun. The trigger will always be crap, but it's now like a 3 lb crap trigger instead of a 7 lb crap trigger. The feedramp is also a must have, the plastic one gets chewed up pretty quick.

I put the cantilevered rail on it to get the dot higher, and further back. Looks cool too. Got rid of the iron sights, they were too low, and I don't anticipate needing them for my purposes. Just a brass hose collar from a welding hose repair kit to protect the sight threads,held on by a thread protector on the barrel threads.

It folds in half with no issues and it a flat package. It almost fits in the Kel Tec case for it, the dot is a little high, and the top of it won't let the zipper close. Close enough for me though.
Thanks very much for the tips!
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 10-19-2020, 2:38 PM
Robert1234's Avatar
Robert1234 Robert1234 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arizona finally!!
Posts: 2,444
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Thanks very much for the tips!
Folded and in case pics.

SUB2K 02.jpg

SUB2K 03.jpg

SUB2K 04.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 10-19-2020, 7:29 PM
C.Bronson's Avatar
C.Bronson C.Bronson is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The 707
Posts: 4,335
iTrader: 58 / 100%
Default

Brad and I both own a PCC?
It's finally happened...I have become my crazy uncle
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:55 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2020, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.
Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Tactical Gear Military Boots 5.11 Tactical