Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-12-2021, 2:45 PM

Default approx. value request on my dead buddy's 4 misc. firearms

I have the tragically unfortunate honor of having the opportunity to buy four firearms from the family of my best friend who died unexpectedly in November 2019 at age 63. I'll explain a bit more after Friday (the day of the transfer), but below is the list of what I will be receiving - this is the extent of the info I have on the items other than my memory. While I spent a huge amount of time with him shooting, and shooting these firearms, I can't recall details and question the accuracy of the Police Dept's descriptions to the extent that I don't really know what the potential value of these are. I would rather over-pay the family than not.

The PD List as received:

19. Handgun / Semi-Automatic / Walther PPK / .380 / 3" barrel / silver

2. Handgun / Revolver / Ruger / .22 / 5.5" barrel / silver

14. Rifle / Lever Action / Winchester / .44 / 16" barrel / blue

8. Handgun / Revolver / Smith & Wesson Magnum / .44 / 6" barrel / chrome

What I do and don't know:

By "silver" they mean stainless.

The Walther could be a PPK/S.

The Ruger may be missing the .22WMR cylinder.

The Winchester is a Model 94 AE Trapper with 16" barrel bought new in 1999 or so for about $475. Lightly used.

The S&W is a Model 29, non-pinned barrel - I don't recall it being "chrome".

I have no model or serial numbers.

I don't know if any have box/papers/OEM stuff/cases

I will not/cannot go the FFL to try to get details, and will not/cannot ask the family to do so in advance. I almost don't about the details - these were my best buddy's guns, and they are invaluable to me. I would just like SWAG/guesstimates of what the range of value might be for each.

We're all still a bit raw about losing him, so if you don't have anything helpful or constructive to offer, please move on.

And thank you to those who can offer some insight.
Old 05-12-2021, 2:58 PM

Sorry for your loss. JMO which is just mine and doesn’t really account for a hill of beans nor the current market,

1000 Walther,
300-400 Ruger
600-700 Winchester
700-1000 Model 29 lots of that depends on condition, age, barrel length,

Good luck sir,
Old 05-12-2021, 3:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sorry for you loss, it's especially hard when it happens unexpectedly and to someone who is not that old. You're doing the right thing and it completely makes sense not to try to find every last detail about the guns. Shows caring and tact.

The way I would go about it is simply look at the price range of the more expensive variant of each firearm you're not sure about, then offer the family something close to the upper range. If people pay double the going rate for polymer utility guns and call it "roster premium," don't feel bad about paying a bit extra for "friend premium." Both you and the family will appreciate the outcome and will look back at that transaction as something positive in difficult times.
Old 05-12-2021, 3:16 PM

I'd say harbor is pretty close, depending on details. That's in the right ballpark though. If someone wanted to work at it they could do a bit better, but not a ton better.
Old 05-12-2021, 3:39 PM

sorry for your loss and hope time heals the shock and pain you and the family are experiencing..

I've brokered gun deals a few times for friend's family members that passed and it's not easy..

between strangers deals are final so fair pricing is more important up front.. gunbroker completed auctions tab (must be logged in) is a great tool for determining real time market pricing..

as for your situation, essentially within family, I would consider ballparking round numbers you're comfortable with and get the transactions done and over with so the guns are safely stored in your care (not knowing the status of who is in possession currently)

once the transfers are complete and you can personally evaluate the actual models and conditions, make any monetary adjustments you feel neccessary directly to the family afterwards when timing is appropriate.. if the guns fall short of your expectations, as you stated you'd prefer the scales tip their way.. you'll still be satisfied knowing you did right by his family and I commend you for that..

I recall an occasion years ago where a trunk load of ammo turned up after we got all the guns sold.. the widow had low expectations of value and was willing to give it to me for my trouble.. within a couple of weeks I had most of it sold to friends.. I asked my buddy to meet me at his mom's house and she cried and hugged me when I handed her almost $1800.. the right thing to do always feels better than taking advantage..

good luck!
Old 05-12-2021, 3:55 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

The trapper is probably worth about $1,250 in today's market.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 05-12-2021, 4:29 PM

Sorry for your loss. $3k is my swag
Old 05-12-2021, 4:50 PM

Plus one on giving the high end of the market pricing to avoid any potential weirdness down the line. A few hundred extra bucks now could save a lot of uncomfortable feelings

Dictated but not read, voice typing plus bad eyes equals typos
Old 05-12-2021, 5:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

19. Handgun / Semi-Automatic / Walther PPK / .380 / 3" barrel / silver
If PPK/S stainless 800 and up

2. Handgun / Revolver / Ruger / .22 / 5.5" barrel / silver
Stainless New Model Single Six ? 350 - 400

14. Rifle / Lever Action / Winchester / .44 / 16" barrel / blue
As mentioned above these can pull some money, especially if it is not the one with the push through the receiver safety.

8. Handgun / Revolver / Smith & Wesson Magnum / .44 / 6" barrel / chrome
"Chrome" is possibly a bright nickel plated 29. 700 - 1000 +.

For all of these prices it is all about the condition.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, the good ones are few and far between on the road of life.
I hope you get all of these in memory of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 05-12-2021, 5:45 PM

Without knowing any more details I think harbormaster's post #2 sounds reasonable.
Old 05-12-2021, 6:09 PM

I know none of you, but I love you all. I am crying over my keyboard (actually into my glasses and then dripping onto the keyboard). I so appreciate your knowledge and kind words. This life sucks sometimes, and you have helped me immensely.

I will tell the story of my buddy "Guido" when I settle down - he was a quite a dude - a true Renaissance Man, Godfather to my youngest daughter, a South Dakotan, pheasant huntin', beer drinkin', dry humored, backgammon/acey ducey/chess killer, all around great guy.
Old 05-12-2021, 6:21 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry for your loss, truly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-12-2021, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeNotMen? View Post
I know none of you, but I love you all. I am crying over my keyboard (actually into my glasses and then dripping onto the keyboard). I so appreciate your knowledge and kind words. This life sucks sometimes, and you have helped me immensely.

I will tell the story of my buddy "Guido" when I settle down - he was a quite a dude - a true Renaissance Man, Godfather to my youngest daughter, a South Dakotan, pheasant huntin', beer drinkin', dry humored, backgammon/acey ducey/chess killer, all around great guy.
Send me a PM if you want to chat. I lost a very good friend last year as well, it really sucks.

In addition to his guns, if he has ammo and reloading supplies and tools, consider buying them as well. If no one in the family will use them it will be a hassle for them to dispose of
Old 05-12-2021, 8:38 PM

Sorry for the loss of your friend, I have nothing to add to the value estimates others have given but have a story that may relate or help. As my screen name implies I am a pilot and one of the members of our sailplane club passed years ago leaving an airworthy 1949 Cessna 140 to his family, which had no other pilots. The family wanted to sell it and I was going to offer $12,000 for it which at the time I thought was the fair value. I hesitated because I too felt awkward approaching the family with my offer, because I was concerned about the timing. In the meantime another guy offered them $8,000 which they immediately accepted. I was not too bothered by missing out on the plane as I bought an Aerobat instead, but I honestly felt bad that the family of my friend missed out on the extra $4,000 that I would have happily paid for their C140, and evidently they could have used that extra cash. In the end I did not do them any favors by being respectful and waiting to make my offer. Don’t know if that helps with how you feel about discussing things with your late friends family. Sounds like you are a stand up guy so good luck.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sorry to hear about your friend. That always sucks.

Unless you know for sure it's a Model 29, it might also be a stainless 629. Guess it doesn't really matter because you're going to hang onto them.

But yeah, take heed on the above stories about them selling off other stuff without talking to you first. My mother sold off a lot of my father's stuff without talking to me about it that I would've liked to buy. Make sure they know you have interest in anything he had.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you’re looking for a bulk number, I’d say 3-3.5k…
Old 05-13-2021, 4:59 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
Rifle / Lever Action / Winchester / .44 / 16" barrel / blue
As mentioned above these can pull some money, especially if it is not the one with the push through the receiver safety.
I think '99 it probably has that ugly cross bolt safety, otherwise they go for like $2K plus. There's a guy at our local gun shows that is selling one that has it, I think we looked it up and it started around 1994. He's asking $1,450 and well, he still has it so that price is too strong. I've seen a couple people offer him around $1,100 so I think $1,200-ish is probably where they are at. If it didn't have the safety on it, it would be in my safe.

The days of a $450 Winchester '94 are long gone right? At least for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2fly View Post
Sorry for the loss of your friend, I have nothing to add to the value estimates others have given but have a story that may relate or help. As my screen name implies I am a pilot and one of the members of our sailplane club passed years ago leaving an airworthy 1949 Cessna 140 to his family, which had no other pilots. The family wanted to sell it and I was going to offer $12,000 for it which at the time I thought was the fair value. I hesitated because I too felt awkward approaching the family with my offer, because I was concerned about the timing. In the meantime another guy offered them $8,000 which they immediately accepted....
Well, despite my AC in my handle meaning air conditioning vs. aircraft... I like to fly too. I have a chance to buy my old instructor's 1954 C-180 for $35K when he passed on, but no logbooks to be found. The FBO bought it, they were able to retrace the logbooks and pretty much concluded the Continental engine has 7,000 hrs SMOH! Prop rebuild, corrosion in the fuel tanks... sometimes we miss out on things for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal77 View Post
If you’re looking for a bulk number, I’d say 3-3.5k…
If everything is in great condition, I concur.

Old 05-13-2021, 7:05 AM

Sorry for your loss.

NRA Benefactor Member
CRPA Life Member
2AF Defender
USPSA Life Member
GOC Member
NASAR Member
Old 05-13-2021, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2fly View Post
Sorry for the loss of your friend, I have nothing to add to the value estimates others have given but have a story that may relate or help. As my screen name implies I am a pilot and one of the members of our sailplane club passed years ago leaving an airworthy 1949 Cessna 140 to his family, which had no other pilots. The family wanted to sell it and I was going to offer $12,000 for it which at the time I thought was the fair value. I hesitated because I too felt awkward approaching the family with my offer, because I was concerned about the timing. In the meantime another guy offered them $8,000 which they immediately accepted. I was not too bothered by missing out on the plane as I bought an Aerobat instead, but I honestly felt bad that the family of my friend missed out on the extra $4,000 that I would have happily paid for their C140, and evidently they could have used that extra cash. In the end I did not do them any favors by being respectful and waiting to make my offer. Donít know if that helps with how you feel about discussing things with your late friends family. Sounds like you are a stand up guy so good luck.
Thank you for that. I also felt awkward, yet didn't want them to get taken advantage of, give them to a buy-back thing, etc. I had talked with his sister and niece after his funeral and they had mentioned having to deal with his guns (he lived alone, died at home, had left his safe either unlocked or open so PD took the guns into their custody). They were not savvy on our stupid laws so I tried to give them a crash course. Shortly thereafter, I sent them my recollection of his collection so they could approach the PD with some knowledge, and the paperwork I'd helped him with on a RAW. That's when I mentioned that if the family was going to sell v. keep some his guns, I would like to buy a few at market value as remembrances of him. Crickets for 15 months, then the sister emailed me and said they'd gotten them transferred to an FFL, and the ones I had told her I was interested in (she had asked) were mine if I still wanted them. I will figure a way to find out if they are selling others and offer to assist as needed.
Old 05-13-2021, 7:20 AM

Thanks everyone - you input and kinds words are helpful.

killer bee - I agree on your thought to do post-purchase research to see if I should add more cash after the fact if they sold me one or more too low

Naz - I will likely PM in the next few days.
Old 05-13-2021, 7:38 AM
Veteran Member

If the S&W 44 is marked ď629Ē then itís stainless steel. If itís marked ď29Ē then itís more than likely nickel plated, and will be very shiny.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:01 AM
Moo
CGN Contributor

Sorry for your loss OP, that's awesome of the family to give you the opportunity to own some of your friend's property. If I were you, I would dig out any old photos of you guys together, especially shooting said guns and give copies to the family.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Gunbroker

Advanced search

Select completed auctions

Printout the final value from 3-5 auctions to establish a value.

ďIf I canít make it, Iíll take itĒ-1980s

Schedule time to take new gun owners to the range
Old 05-14-2021, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalAF View Post
Sorry for your loss OP, that's awesome of the family to give you the opportunity to own some of your friend's property. If I were you, I would dig out any old photos of you guys together, especially shooting said guns and give copies to the family.
Thanks, and yep - I went though decades of pics looking for good ones of him and sent those to the family back at the time, with captions for context.
Old 05-14-2021, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Gunbroker

Advanced search

Select completed auctions

Printout the final value from 3-5 auctions to establish a value.
Thank you for that - part of my frustration is not being able to find what the actual selling price was v. asking price (and the CG marketplace didn't help much). Once I see exactly what they are (model, condition, etc) I'll use your suggestion to see if I need to up what I pay the family today in effort to be fair.
Old 05-14-2021, 8:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You'll need to register for an account first, but that's free.
Old 05-14-2021, 9:18 AM

There are credentialed appraisers everywhere. For a reasonable sum they will give you the numbers you need. They do this type of thing all the time for insurance purposes.

You don't need to hit the market place, visit gun sales sites or anything like that where you see asking prices and few selling prices.

Guns are not so unique in most cases that there aren't good appraisers out there who can easily and quickly give you a value and also provide a value for selling them.

Sometimes as gun owners we think anything to do with guns is so out of the realm of typical that we want to reinvent wheels. Appraisers have resources far beyond internet research and they know how to get info that you can rely on for the most part. Even if gun appraisals aren't their specialty they know where to get that specialty.

An appraiser can usually provide two types of info, one for insurance values and one for market values, they are often not the same. This is also important for anyone who thinks because they have some insurance that covers the value of something based on say so that if lost, stolen or damaged the insurance company will just pay up. It rarely works that way without an appraisal and it's better to know before the claim than after.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeNotMen? View Post
Thank you for that - part of my frustration is not being able to find what the actual selling price was v. asking price (and the CG marketplace didn't help much). Once I see exactly what they are (model, condition, etc) I'll use your suggestion to see if I need to up what I pay the family today in effort to be fair.
I know you're getting a barrage of info so I'll explain my previous post regarding gunbroker a little better..

I know I said must be logged in, what I should have said, like above, is you'll need an account which is free and it's a solid site, haven't had any trouble with them and I've completed 30-40 deals there and joined it before calguns..

so while logged in, the completed auctions tab has some search tools you'll have to get a little familiar with to get the results your'e looking for..

unfortunately it doesn't sort sold from everything completed so you'll have to browse for those manually.. but looking at these criteria paints a picture of value;

number of bidders
number of bids
$ amount of bids
number of times relisted and not sold
$ amount open vs buy now options
condition comparison of sold, unsold, bid, unbid, etc.

sounds like the guns you're working on aren't particularly rare or unusual so you should be able to find enough comparisons to determine fair value and tip the family's way a bit.. and the advantage of looking there is gunbroker only keeps auctions up for 90 days so everything you see is current market, not what's printed in a 20yo catalog or what someone's grandpa paid for a gun in 1957, etc..

and likes been mentioned, if you get them in hand and find something of significantly higher value, you can share that finding and give them the difference when the time is right at a later date..

sounds like you're getting it narrowed down to a good solution - good luck!
Old 05-15-2021, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
I know you're getting a barrage of info so I'll explain my previous post regarding gunbroker a little better..

I know I said must be logged in, what I should have said, like above, is you'll need an account which is free and it's a solid site, haven't had any trouble with them and I've completed 30-40 deals there and joined it before calguns..

so while logged in, the completed auctions tab has some search tools you'll have to get a little familiar with to get the results your'e looking for..

unfortunately it doesn't sort sold from everything completed so you'll have to browse for those manually.. but looking at these criteria paints a picture of value;

number of bidders
number of bids
$ amount of bids
number of times relisted and not sold
$ amount open vs buy now options
condition comparison of sold, unsold, bid, unbid, etc.

sounds like the guns you're working on aren't particularly rare or unusual so you should be able to find enough comparisons to determine fair value and tip the family's way a bit.. and the advantage of looking there is gunbroker only keeps auctions up for 90 days so everything you see is current market, not what's printed in a 20yo catalog or what someone's grandpa paid for a gun in 1957, etc..

and likes been mentioned, if you get them in hand and find something of significantly higher value, you can share that finding and give them the difference when the time is right at a later date..

sounds like you're getting it narrowed down to a good solution - good luck!
Thanks killer bee - I did set up an account and muddled through to come up with what I felt would be a reasonable range for each to suggest to the family. And again, thanks to those who'd suggested some prices above, that was helpful and fairly close to what I came up with.

So I met them yesterday at the FFL (once I pick them up, I'll fill you in on that clown show). All went well - mom, sister, and two other female friends of his who I know well were there (one to buy his Mini 14, the other to retrieve her dad's two revolvers Guido had been keeping for her). Anyway, we had a little reunion and pleasantries and all was fine emotionally.

In an effort to simply be done with the process for them, I zipped through the paperwork, barely looked at the guns, and left. I did discover the the handguns were not as the PD had documented:

The Walther is a PPKS which he bought new in 2002 (came with OEM case) SN 1447XXX. I'm guessing it was made not long before he bought it. It also has "Rev -1" on the label, anyone know what that signifies?

The S&W is indeed a 629, SN CDK8XXX. Can someone tell me the approx year of manufacture and what version (dash ?) is it?

The Ruger Single Six SN is 69-69XXX. The FFL said this one was not made with the second .22 Mag cylinder and the sister said they had not found one (seems my memory was off on that point). Can someone tell me the approx year of manufacture and any particulars v. other versions?
Old 05-15-2021, 4:41 AM

Oh, and I forgot to let you know that I'd not heard back on what prices the family was comfortable with so I had pulled $3500 from the safe. About two hours before our meet time, the sister texted me to say they were fine with a check and that they would not accept anything more than $2500 for all four.

And...the condition of the guns (again, I consciously did not scrutinize any of them) - the Ruger shows honest use and wear, the others look nearly new with maybe some handling indications. And knowing my buddy, they will all need a good cleaning!
Old 05-15-2021, 7:15 AM
CGN Contributor

$2,500 for all four sounds fair to all involved OP. You can't go wrong at that price...

FWIW I had a similar situation in 2012 when a good friend passed and I ended up with three of his guns including a 629. It's nice to have a few things to remember a friend with.

Old 05-15-2021, 9:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Your friend would want you to keep them.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Your friend would want you to keep them.
Yes indeed - they will be passed to my girls, and then my grandkids along with tales of my buddy to keep him "alive". And there are lots of tales...
Old 05-16-2021, 11:24 AM

in case you haven't found out already, S&W can be tricky to figure out sometimes because of so many variations and frequent changes..

here's a little quick info on the 629 and s/n dates from the SCSW I have.. obviously you can ignore the value charts, you'll get laughed off the internet for referencing those..

if I had to make a swag at it, I'd guess it's a 629-5 made around april 1999.. one of the last pre-lock models..

hope that helps..

Old 06-17-2021, 3:25 AM

Thanks Killer Bee - that was helpful.

Now that I've had time to fully go over, shoot, and clean all four firearms...and ponder my friend's legacy, I'll take them outside when it gets daylight and take a few photos. I know they will look like just about any other of their respective types, but they're special to me and in excellent condition (except for a chipped area on the rt side Single Six grip...but I see that as character/evidence of honest use).

Regards to all