Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 03-12-2019, 11:33 PM

Default Rock Chuck opener

Old 03-13-2019, 12:51 AM

Nice. Was that all in one day?
Old 03-13-2019, 7:18 AM

Do you eat them?

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Old 03-13-2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmrevolver View Post
Nice. Was that all in one day?
That was Mon/Tuesday afternoon.
Old 03-14-2019, 5:04 PM

What do you do with them?
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 03-14-2019, 5:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
What do you do with them?
Let the scavengers eat em

Old 03-15-2019, 7:17 AM

Eh, I guess Iím just not cool enough to get the appeal of killing things for no reason.

High five for marksmanship?
Old 03-15-2019, 3:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABilly View Post
Eh, I guess I’m just not cool enough to get the appeal of killing things for no reason.

Feeding Eagle and Falcon babies is not killing things for no reason

Last edited by HUTCH 7.62; 03-20-2019 at 7:51 AM..
Old 03-15-2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUTCH 7.62 View Post
Let the scavengers eat em
Yup. Most of the time I’ll hunt 2 days in a row. I’ve NEVER, not even once, found a trace of any rock chuck I’ve killed the day before.

Quote:
Eh, I guess I’m just not cool enough to get the appeal of killing things for no reason.

You don’t like varmint hunting, good, you don’t have to do it. I’ve never eaten a coyote, gopher, or a skunk either.
There’s a reason they have no limit and no season.

Last edited by trob; 03-15-2019 at 5:30 PM..
Old 03-15-2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trob View Post
Yup. Most of the time Iíll hunt 2 days in a row. Iíve NEVER, not even once, found a trace of any rock chuck Iíve killed the day before.

You donít like varmint hunting, good, you donít have to do it. Iíve never eaten a coyote, gopher, or a skunk either.
Thereís a reason they have no limit and no season.
Not that I donít like it. Itís just that anything I kill I either want to eat or get some use out of. I think a coyote or skunk hat would be sick. Iím just not into shooting things and leaving them.
Old 03-15-2019, 6:43 PM

I knew a rancher in Montana that as a kid was left in the mountains to take care of the sheep. Once in a while his father didn't get back in time to bring the grub so John would shoot a rock chuck or two to eat. I guess they weren't to bad eating. Also know a guy in Calif. that as a kid left in the mountains east of Fresno in cow camp would do much the same thing except they were ground squirrels when they got to tired of beans. I'm not judging anyone but I can see this both ways, I have no problem blasting 200 dirt rats a day and if a rock chuck got stupid and got out in front of me he's gonna regret it. It doesn't mean that I'm going to make a habit of it.
Old 03-15-2019, 6:58 PM

What caliber rifle?
Old 03-16-2019, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Not that I donít like it. Itís just that anything I kill I either want to eat or get some use out of. I think a coyote or skunk hat would be sick. Iím just not into shooting things and leaving them.
I'm with you. I'll predator hunt from time to time, either at our property or places we quail and deer hunt, but I don't see how a rock chuck is impacting hunting of other species.

To each his own.
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 03-16-2019, 8:28 AM
Calguns Addict

We shoot ground squirrels around here they are pests and fun to shoot .Those marmots aren't really hurting anything but I can see the fun in blasting them if that's all you have to shoot at.
so what caliber are you using I can hear you work the bolt
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 03-16-2019, 2:45 PM
Veteran Member

Nice... What camera set-up, distance, and marmots right?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Not that I don’t like it. It’s just that anything I kill I either want to eat or get some use out of. I think a coyote or skunk hat would be sick. I’m just not into shooting things and leaving them.
I always joke that I’ll make a blanket or a jacket out of pelts. But, the problem is that their fur is usually trashed, missing half their hair, and probably not even safe to be handling, being covered in fleas or mites.
However, this fine specimen you see here, sits atop my desk as king of the rock chucks. This one has great coloring from nose to tail, so I had him tanned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
I knew a rancher in Montana that as a kid was left in the mountains to take care of the sheep. Once in a while his father didn't get back in time to bring the grub so John would shoot a rock chuck or two to eat. I guess they weren't to bad eating. Also know a guy in Calif. that as a kid left in the mountains east of Fresno in cow camp would do much the same thing except they were ground squirrels when they got to tired of beans. I'm not judging anyone but I can see this both ways, I have no problem blasting 200 dirt rats a day and if a rock chuck got stupid and got out in front of me he's gonna regret it. It doesn't mean that I'm going to make a habit of it.
They are no different than sage rats. People that don’t see that haven’t been around them. They are just like a rat or gopher, but bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
What caliber rifle?
.223 tikka superlight, vortex viper hs-t 6-24x50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
I'm with you. I'll predator hunt from time to time, either at our property or places we quail and deer hunt, but I don't see how a rock chuck is impacting hunting of other species.

To each his own.
It’s not always about impacting hunting. Impacting farmers around here is a BIG deal. Rock chucks are way more destructive than mice, ground squirrels, or gophers. They’re 8-15 pounds and eat a lot.

I hunt fields like this as well as natural habitat. They’re rats.

Here’s some of the damage rock chucks can do in no time. The farmer who owns the field asked me to sort his problem out. I try to hit his fields a couple times a year, and pulled 70 out of this field alone last year. The alfalfa is supposed to be about 12 inches high all the way to the road. The chucks grind it down to nubs.

Healthy alfalfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
We shoot ground squirrels around here they are pests and fun to shoot .Those marmots aren't really hurting anything but I can see the fun in blasting them if that's all you have to shoot at.
so what caliber are you using I can hear you work the bolt
They’re no different than the ground squirrels, I used to hunt those in CA too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
Nice... What camera set-up, distance, and marmots right?
Thanks.
Yea, they’re technically yellow bellied marmots I think.

Here’s a pic of my setup. It’s a vortex razor 27-60 spotter and a homemade ‘phone skope’

Last edited by trob; 03-18-2019 at 12:21 AM..
Old 03-18-2019, 6:35 AM

Trob, thanks for the followup. That's good info, I had no idea they were so destructive. Keep blasting them, good video btw.
Old 03-18-2019, 5:05 PM

Good job , and great video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2019, 5:33 PM

We're going to Northern Cal in a few weeks to shoot ground squirrels. My friend had two farmers ask that we shoot on their land. One said no one shot on his property last year and he now has a huge problem with squirrels. 17 hmr, 17 wsm and a 17 Hornet is going with me. Colt 22 magnum SAA too. One has Rock Chucks too.
Old 03-18-2019, 7:42 PM

Yep. We hunt rockchucks here as well. We shot on two rock piles within 50 yards of each other last year and netted 14 chucks. They had eaten the alfalfa down to dirt on a large portion of the pivot. I'll be back again come May.

Great video, btw!
Old 03-19-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
Yep. We hunt rockchucks here as well. We shot on two rock piles within 50 yards of each other last year and netted 14 chucks. They had eaten the alfalfa down to dirt on a large portion of the pivot. I'll be back again come May.

Great video, btw!
Thanks!
Old 03-19-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trob View Post
I always joke that Iíll make a blanket or a jacket out of pelts. But, the problem is that their fur is usually trashed, missing half their hair, and probably not even safe to be handling, being covered in fleas or mites.
However, this fine specimen you see here, sits atop my desk as king of the rock chucks. This one has great coloring from nose to tail, so I had him tanned.

They are no different than sage rats. People that donít see that havenít been around them. They are just like a rat or gopher, but bigger.

.223 tikka superlight, vortex viper hs-t 6-24x50

Itís not always about impacting hunting. Impacting farmers around here is a BIG deal. Rock chucks are way more destructive than mice, ground squirrels, or gophers. Theyíre 8-15 pounds and eat a lot.

I hunt fields like this as well as natural habitat. Theyíre rats.

Hereís some of the damage rock chucks can do in no time. The farmer who owns the field asked me to sort his problem out. I try to hit his fields a couple times a year, and pulled 70 out of this field alone last year. The alfalfa is supposed to be about 12 inches high all the way to the road. The chucks grind it down to nubs.

Healthy alfalfa

Theyíre no different than the ground squirrels, I used to hunt those in CA too.

Thanks.
Yea, theyíre technically yellow bellied marmots I think.

Hereís a pic of my setup. Itís a vortex razor 27-60 spotter and a homemade Ďphone skopeí

Thanks for the context. Makes more sense now. The video looked like you could be 8k feet up in some Wilderness
Old 03-20-2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the context. Makes more sense now. The video looked like you could be 8k feet up in some Wilderness
lava rock and farmland. not many trees around here.
Old 03-21-2019, 8:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice! What bullet/load are you using and what ranges were your shots taken from? I have a Rem 700 Varmint 223 that I'd love to try out on action like that. Currently have a Burris Veracity 3-15x50 - would that be enough magnification?
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, lefties will have brought it upon themselves. I value freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of governance they have to offer, which offers no freedom and complete servitude to the state.