Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:49 PM

Default Military Retiring in CA with Guns

After nearly 30 years in the military, I'm finally retiring in the coming months, and will likely remain in CA due to wife's employment. Although we have been FL residents while in the military, I know that we will have to become CA residents when I retire...and by law, I'm supposed to register my guns, all of which were purchased before we transferred to CA. Luckily, my collection consists of vintage military bolt action rifles (Springfield 1903, Mauser, K31, etc.), semi-auto pistols with 8 round capacity or less, and black powder firearms. As such, I am just trying to find a current and comprehensive list of weapons that are legal to own in the state, as well as guidance on how to proceed with registering them when the time comes.

Of course, I appreciate any tips and advice from those who retired here and went thru the same process, so please feel free to post those as well. That stuff is like gold, and will assuredly benefit others as well. Many thanks!
Old 07-22-2020, 1:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer92 View Post
After nearly 30 years in the military, I'm finally retiring in the coming months, and will likely remain in CA due to wife's employment. Although we have been FL residents while in the military, I know that we will have to become CA residents when I retire...and by law, I'm supposed to register my guns, all of which were purchased before we transferred to CA. Luckily, my collection consists of vintage military bolt action rifles (Springfield 1903, Mauser, K31, etc.), semi-auto pistols with 8 round capacity or less, and black powder firearms. As such, I am just trying to find a current and comprehensive list of weapons that are legal to own in the state, as well as guidance on how to proceed with registering them when the time comes.

Of course, I appreciate any tips and advice from those who retired here and went thru the same process, so please feel free to post those as well. That stuff is like gold, and will assuredly benefit others as well. Many thanks!
Thanks for your service and best wishes for your retirement.

So long as you don't have any large-capacity magazines, assault weapons, or illegally configured weapons, you'll have a very simple time doing the paperwork. You can do it all on a "New Resident Form" and pay only a $19.00 fee for your entire arsenal.

Common traps that you should look out for:

No threaded barrels on a semi-auto pistol - This makes the pistol an illegal "Assault Weapon" unless the magazine is fixed, even if they're used to mount a compensator on a 1911.

No Taurus Judge or similar type pistols - California defines them as Short Barrel Shotguns, even though the feds do not.
Old 07-22-2020, 1:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Leave California.
Old 07-22-2020, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
Leave California.
I’d second that.

Try AZ or ID.

iTrader
Old 07-22-2020, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
Leave California.
Unless her job is worth $150,000+ a year, it isn't worth it to stay.
Get out while you have the opportunity (and .mil will pay for the move).
Old 07-22-2020, 1:37 PM

Thanks, Rick...that's what I was thinking too...and great advice.

"Leave California" had me laughing, as it is exactly what wife and I would prefer. We hope to escape to NV, but it doesn't look like she will be able to transfer anytime soon. While her pay is good, staying in CA is more about making it to her Federal retirement too...just need to stick it out a few more years and then get the hell outta dodge!

Last edited by flyer92; 07-22-2020 at 1:39 PM..
Old 07-22-2020, 1:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Look on kasler list to check on your military weapons.
Old 07-23-2020, 6:59 AM

Thanks for the reference to the Kasler list, but what little I can find about it online, is that it only relates to AR's and AK's, which I don't own. Even then, the list is from 2000, and I would think it has been amended many times over by now.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer92 View Post
Thanks, Rick...that's what I was thinking too...and great advice.

"Leave California" had me laughing, as it is exactly what wife and I would prefer. We hope to escape to NV, but it doesn't look like she will be able to transfer anytime soon. While her pay is good, staying in CA is more about making it to her Federal retirement too...just need to stick it out a few more years and then get the hell outta dodge!
Buy in NV now and rent a dump in CA. Rent out your NV house until you can move.
Old 07-24-2020, 5:57 AM

So that's it? Just the Kasler list?

Last edited by flyer92; 07-24-2020 at 6:03 AM..
Old 07-26-2020, 4:01 PM

CA is a complete ****hole right now. I agree with everyone else, stay away if you can.
Old 07-26-2020, 7:44 PM

Yep...having been stationed here for 2 years, I agree 1000%. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll be able to escape anytime soon, which is why I was trying to locate a comprehensive list of allowed firearms. I don't own any ARs, AKs, or hi-cap pistols...mostly old C&R stuff, so I suspect my collection is probably good to go. That said, you just never know with CA...I wouldn't be surprised if we're restricted to airsoft guns and slingshots!
Old 07-27-2020, 12:42 PM

Tell your wife she can find the same job in another state. Don't make the mistake of staying in California. Let the military pay for your move and find a state that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to live in.
Old 07-27-2020, 1:59 PM

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. Someone has to retire or die before another position opens, and that rarely happens. Some of these peeps work well into their 70s!