Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 04-07-2021, 10:38 AM

Default First Boar Hunt

Maybe my last, depending on how the meat is. My previous experience with California boar meat has not been great; the sharp, musky odor is not very appealing.

The hunting experience at Tejon Ranch is first class, meals and lodging included. Jared was a great guide. We hunted the ranch area northeast of the Grapevine.

After an hour of hair-raising four wheeling late Monday afternoon, we spotted a group of pigs about a half mile below us. We we able to approach within a 100 yards and I took a shot and punched him just behind the shoulder. The copper round didn't really penetrate. He took off limping and started a one hour chase on foot and by truck. We were finally able to get ahead of him and I dropped him at 250 yards with a heart shot. That kind of shooting is way beyond my usual abilities.

Spent much of yesterday cutting up pig meat. Most went to the butcher for bratwurst.

I've got a tenderloin marinating now for dinner tonight. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Egerland; 04-07-2021 at 1:03 PM..
Old 04-07-2021, 10:50 AM

The key to good tasting wild pork is to avoid the larger males. While some will taste fine, any boar over 120 has the potential to have the funky taste.

Just out of curiosity, what brand/caliber were you using? Did you recover the bullets?
Old 04-07-2021, 11:01 AM

Isn't that true for domestic un-cut hogs too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishfisher View Post
The key to good tasting wild pork is to avoid the larger males. While some will taste fine, any boar over 120 has the potential to have the funky taste.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:42 AM
CGSSA Associate

Yes, domestic board get it too.

You might want to leave out shooting off the hood of the truck......

Let's see the pig!
Old 04-07-2021, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

I've taken quite a few boar/hogs in the 150# to 200# range and every one of them has been great eating. I can't tell any difference in taste with the smaller hogs...I think that is just guys talking that wanted a 200 pounder but only got on a piglet or youngster.

Good processing is key. Find a processor that will cold hang the carcus for 14 days....it will make a difference. The yellowy fat can be strong, so you might want to buy farmed rsiysed pig fat for sausage making if you go that route. For chops, roasts, and hams, just cut off any large pieces of fat (there won't be much mostbif the time).

Good luck and enjoy a great benefit of the hunt.
Old 04-07-2021, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what brand/caliber were you using? Did you recover the bullets?
Hornaday Superformance 80 gr in .243. No bullets recovered
Old 04-07-2021, 2:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Congrats on a successful hunt!

Do you have a smoker? I am buch the same when it comes to gamey meat however I've found smoking them does wonders to take out the gamey flavor. Even on sausage links or other wrapped food.
Old 04-07-2021, 5:16 PM

There's a genetic component to boar taste, some people can and some people can't. It's like cilantro that way. Male farm raised pigs are usually castrated which largely takes care of the issue, and a lot of other problems that a super smart strong and willful escape artist might present.

There are preparations which handle the flavor better than others, how well they work for you is an experiment you'll have to try.
Old 04-07-2021, 5:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
I've taken quite a few boar/hogs in the 150# to 200# range and every one of them has been great eating. I can't tell any difference in taste with the smaller hogs...
I've killed more pigs than I can count. Large or small, old or young, sow or boar..... they all tasted good.The key to quality wild pig meat is twofold:

1) get it gutted, skinned, and cooled as soon as possible

2) With a boar, be VERY CAREFUL around the penis/nads when gutting/skinning. There are scent glands there - nick those and the contents of those glands will permeate the meat with some nasty gamey funk.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 04-07-2021, 6:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just shoot gilts, less than 100 lbs.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 04-07-2021, 7:04 PM

How ever you cook it (not the sausage from the butcher) use apples the whole way. Do not eat the apples, just cook it with or close to the meat.
Old 04-07-2021, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
I've killed more pigs than I can count. Large or small, old or young, sow or boar..... they all tasted good.The key to quality wild pig meat is twofold:

2) With a boar, be VERY CAREFUL around the penis/nads when gutting/skinning. There are scent glands there - nick those and the contents of those glands will permeate the meat with some nasty gamey funk.
^^^THIS^^^

And I will add that I find the backstrap the best and usually turn the rest into sausage
Old 04-07-2021, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishfisher View Post

This ^^^^ I like”em young and dumb.
Old 04-07-2021, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post

This is so true, especially with hogs. If ur camping etc, it doesn’t matter get that hide off, open that cavity and cool that off ASAP.

I mostly take the tenderloin and back strap, the rest is sausage.
Old 04-07-2021, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
^^^THIS^^^

And I will add that I find the backstrap the best and usually turn the rest into sausage
Would u quit agreeing with me. Lol
Old 04-07-2021, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
^^^THIS^^^

You're missing out. I've made fantastic Chile Verde and pulled pork out of shoulder meat, neck, and butt roasts.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 04-07-2021, 8:24 PM

Bigger hogs should be slow cooked. The tender loins are better on a bigger hog than the back straps. Typically they all taste good. There’s always a rank boar out there. If he has been fighting and or breeding he will have the smell. How you cook them, which cuts you keep and which ones you sausage will also make a big difference
Old 04-08-2021, 5:47 AM

Well, the first tenderloin was great. Marinated in red wine, a dash of AC vinegar and garlic. Picking up the bratwurst later today.
Old 04-08-2021, 7:35 AM

Sweet. Sounds like good eats right there.