Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 04-06-2021, 2:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Spent some more time with my Navy

I spent some more time with my .36 caliber 1851 Colt repro. It was a fun time, albeit dirty...

First, the good.

The SlixShot nipples fit both the CCI #11 and Rem #10 caps well, the CCI's seem tighter and a bit harder to get on, but I tried them after I ran out of Remington caps so maybe the nipples were getting dirty.

The gun runs well, and shoots plenty accurately loaded with 20 grains by volume Goex FFFg and a lubed patch. My patch lube works well (50/25/25 beeswax, crisco, lanolin). The gun also runs well and accurately when loaded as per Elmer Keith (fill till there's just enough space to put a lubed wad, put down a wad, cram a ball).

My gun will run for 60-80 rounds at least before NEEDING to be cleaned. I didn't count how many cylinder fulls I shot, but I finished off a partial box of speer balls and Rem caps and. shot half a box of Hornady balls and CCI caps. Though admittedly I did spit some water down the bore and apply some more grease on the arbor when switching components.

The gun does not spontaneously rust if left fired and dirty in a holster in a truck overnight.

The Polish Capper works great.

Now the bad:

CCI caps seem to cause more cap jams for me than the Remington caps. In fact, after shooting 100 Rem caps I don't remember having any real cap jams, but within a few cylinders of the CCI caps I'd had two cap jams.

I forgot to chrono the 'full house' loads but am guessing somewhere between 1050 and 1100 fps.

CCI caps (probably any cap) do not have enough oomf to push a ball out of the cylinder and into the bore when your brother in law manages to forget to pour in a powder charge...

All in all the more I shoot this pistol the more fun I have with it. It's coming with me again this year to hopefully kill a few rabbits while I'm hunting out of state. That and my longbow ought to be good for a couple at least I hope!

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 04-06-2021 at 7:41 PM..
Old 04-07-2021, 12:07 PM

You are getting a lot of shots without getting jammed up with fouling.

That is a big plus. I was thinking 20 grains might be on the low side for 1000 fps.

The back of the older Lyman books has some information regarding velocity in BP arms.

In a 36 caliber Navy 25 grains of fff will do 918 fps according to Lyman.

Hopefully when you chronograph your loads you will let us know your results.

irh
Old 04-07-2021, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
I spent some more time with my .36 caliber 1851 Colt repro. It was a fun time, albeit dirty...

First, the good.

The SlixShot nipples fit both the CCI #11 and Rem #10 caps well, the CCI's seem tighter and a bit harder to get on, but I tried them after I ran out of Remington caps so maybe the nipples were getting dirty.

The gun runs well, and shoots plenty accurately loaded with 20 grains by volume Goex FFFg and a lubed patch. My patch lube works well (50/25/25 beeswax, crisco, lanolin). The gun also runs well and accurately when loaded as per Elmer Keith (fill till there's just enough space to put a lubed wad, put down a wad, cram a ball).

My gun will run for 60-80 rounds at least before NEEDING to be cleaned. I didn't count how many cylinder fulls I shot, but I finished off a partial box of speer balls and Rem caps and. shot half a box of Hornady balls and CCI caps. Though admittedly I did spit some water down the bore and apply some more grease on the arbor when switching components.

The gun does not spontaneously rust if left fired and dirty in a holster in a truck overnight.

The Polish Capper works great.

Now the bad:

CCI caps seem to cause more cap jams for me than the Remington caps. In fact, after shooting 100 Rem caps I don't remember having any real cap jams, but within a few cylinders of the CCI caps I'd had two cap jams.

I forgot to chrono the 'full house' loads but am guessing somewhere between 1050 and 1100 fps.

CCI caps (probably any cap) do not have enough oomf to push a ball out of the cylinder and into the bore when your brother in law manages to forget to pour in a powder charge...

All in all the more I shoot this pistol the more fun I have with it. It's coming with me again this year to hopefully kill a few rabbits while I'm hunting out of state. That and my longbow ought to be good for a couple at least I hope!
I've been out of the BP game a while and am wondering about your patch lube mix. Why that mix?

I used Crisco on my old Hawken 50 rifle and it was cheap and gave good service. Clean up was ok too.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-07-2021, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse1 View Post
You are getting a lot of shots without getting jammed up with fouling.

That is a big plus. I was thinking 20 grains might be on the low side for 1000 fps.

The back of the older Lyman books has some information regarding velocity in BP arms.

In a 36 caliber Navy 25 grains of fff will do 918 fps according to Lyman.

Hopefully when you chronograph your loads you will let us know your results.

irh
The way I wrote that is a bit confusing. With 20 grains by volume (closer to 16 grains by weight the way I use my flask) I get about 850 fps. At about 25 grains by volume (measured in a rifle measure so, give or take) I'm right around 1000 fps. I had a post on here a little while back with the velocities (that post was confusing too!). (found the post 828 FPS with 20 grains, and 1009 with 25ish : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1702772)

I'm not sure what a cylinder full of FFFg powder equates to volumetricly, probably 28-29 grains I'm guessing with just enough room for the wad, but I'm guessing that to be closer to 1100 fps.

All in all it doesn't really matter to me, 20 grains by volume shoots well and is more economical; but sometimes you want to know if you can get a little more oomph behind that ball.

Last year in Wyoming I was out hunting rabbits and birds with a 16 gauge and my Navy. I never did shoot a rabbit with my Colt but at the end of the day I get a call from my wife saying she has a deer down about 15 miles away and could I come and help her drag it. Of course I say okay, and then I realize that the area she's in has at least 4 or 5 grizzlies at any point in time. The only protection I had was that navy or my 16 gauge loaded with #6 lead... I left them both in the truck when I went to drag her deer and just decided to move a little faster

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 04-07-2021 at 7:09 PM..
Old 04-07-2021, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
I've been out of the BP game a while and am wondering about your patch lube mix. Why that mix?

I used Crisco on my old Hawken 50 rifle and it was cheap and gave good service. Clean up was ok too.
I'm still pretty new to black powder pistols (I've been shooting BP shotgun for a while, but I run those wads dry).

After reading for a bit and seeing that everyone loves the Gatofeo #1 lube (beeswax, mutton tallow, paraffin) I just wanted to try something else. One of the problems I had in Wyoming last year was my tube of bore butter was so stiff I couldn't hardly lube my balls without sticking it between my legs to warm up for a bit (now how often do you get to say that on a family friendly website?). I wanted something that would work when it's cold and not be too runny when warm.

So far the high percentage of beeswax has done a good job of keeping the crisco from melting when sitting out in the sun in the high 70's, and the lanolin makes everything a bit more sticky such that the lube 'should' stick to all the parts it comes in contact with when shooting the gun. That's what I've heard it does anyway, though most people say to use only about 10%. I went with 25% just because it was easy to measure.

For the patches I buy 1/8 inch thick wool felt (has to be wool, synthetics would do bad things from what I gather). I melt the lube in a double boiler and pour it over the entire sheet of felt. I then get to work punching out 36 caliber wads. I can reclaim any leftover lube in the pan, and you don't waste nearly as much felt as you might think after you're done punching out all those patches.