Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-17-2019, 9:28 AM

Default S&W 380 EZ

I wanted to buy my wife the new Smith .380 EZ because she has difficulty operating the slide on most semi autos. Of course, the pistol is unavailable in CA due to the microstamping requirement. This denies her the right to a firearm that she can operate. Why isn’t this discriminatory? Shouldn’t reasonable accommodation cover this?
Old 01-17-2019, 8:07 PM

NOTE: This post is in the Women's Forum

The S&W Shield .380 EZ looks like a neat gun for what it is and the reviews have been pretty positive. It's a shame that California's strict regulations prevent residents like your wife from having options like this. Unfortunately, I don't think any of us will be able to answer your questions regarding if this is discriminatory or if your wife should be given reasonable accomodations for this particular model of gun. California could just as easily tell your wife to get a revolver if she cannot operate a slide. Your recourse is probably through the courts. You might have to sue California, but I think ADA only applies to people who have documented disabilities. Regrettably, "women with weak hands" isn't a "disability" as such.
Old 01-17-2019, 8:22 PM

Note: This post is in the Women's Forum

There is no law I know of, no Constitutional right, that says a woman must be able to own and operate a particular brand and model of gun.

The law mostly talks about what we can't do, not so much on what we must do.

Have your wife write in, if she has questions on what guns other women like. I doubt she needs you to do it for her.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 01-17-2019, 9:15 PM

My in-laws just bought one and brought it out at Christmas. The slide is shockingly easy to manipulate. I would guess the recoil spring is in the 5-6lb range.

If either of you has an out-of-state parent, grandparent or child you can bring one in on a intrafamilial transfer. And you probably do have a valid legal case, if you have $100K and 7-10 years to waste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2019, 11:23 AM

It just seems that you have to have a lot of money for lawyers if you want your rights protected. This country is about done. The FBI is now the stadium and CA is turning into Venezuela.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:24 AM

Stazi, not stadium! Danged auto correct
Old 01-19-2019, 3:00 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

your wife still has a right to a gun.
complaints about the list are one thing.
statements such as yours re the FBI and Venezuela seem to be more in line with OT and especially the comment that "this country is about done".
and before there are complaints re not being able to state such comments in the LF read the rules for this forum which was created by Mr K, the owner of calguns.com himself, to keep this area of the website from turning into just another OT.
while many in the LF may agree with you we tend to follow the rules and keep this area free of OT comments.

another thought: you might find support in the disability community and perhaps support from a disability rights group as well. before you lawyer up you might also want to check in with 2A rights legal beagles.

in the meantime perhaps a nice revolver will be better than no firearm at all for your wife.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 01-19-2019, 3:26 PM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

Tried any of the available devices?

https://www.usacarry.com/racking-pis...ent-technique/
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 01-22-2019, 2:18 PM

NOTE: This post is in the Women's Forum

Some people think that because a woman is short or her are small, that means she needs a small light gun. Not true. Those little light guns kick like mules, even the .380's, because there's no mass to absorb the recoil. I do my absolute best shooting with a full size, .45 caliber Desert Eagle 1911. I think it's because the gun is doing most of the work. And I'm 70 ! If the women herself thinks a given gun is too heavy, building up her strength will probably solve the problem. Small light guns are good for carry purposes, but you better be proficient with a larger gun before you do any of that.

I suspect that racking technique might be the problem. There is no reason to believe that a different gun will be any better, if a women can't rack the slide on a whole selection of other semi-automatics.

I had trouble with my first gun, a Glock 23. I foolishly bought it before trying it out, and was in tears in my living room because I couldn't rack the slide (with snap caps) using the "palm over slide" method. It turned out my hands were just too weak. So I watched TV for two weeks squeezing a tennis ball. Hands got stronger, no further problem.

Another woman might have the same strength problem. But maybe it's technique. Not all guns rack best the same way. I prefer the 'palm over the slide (name?) method for my Glocks and Colts. But my Desert Eagle 9mm bit a chunk out of my hand one day, doing it that way. So, for the Baby Eagle, I had to go to the 'slingshot method' (pinching the very back of the slide with thumb and two fingers).

Also, some people pull the slide back, others push the frame forward. It looks the same but it really isn't. I know several women who swear by the latter. I don't do it that way but I do think that it's probably easier to move something that you have a really good grip on.

I'm sure there are more methods and there are actual tools and attachments for this racking issue, but the problem might not be the gun.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 01-22-2019 at 2:55 PM..