Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-28-2018, 4:17 PM

With respect to the only while transporting issue, the latest info is that SDSO no longer issues permits with restrictions, so if you get a permit, you can carry every day.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 02-28-2018, 9:01 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryhenry View Post
I applied a few weeks ago and it was quick. I just wish they would tell you to bring the documentation on the first appointment, there really is no need for a follow up. I think this is their way to weed out the chaff. Had the first appointment on a Thursday then the follow up the next Thursday. Now the waiting begins. I am military and used Al Qaeda and ISIS hit lists as my rationale...they better not reject!
Please let us know how this goes....
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 03-04-2018, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryhenry View Post
I applied a few weeks ago and it was quick. I just wish they would tell you to bring the documentation on the first appointment, there really is no need for a follow up. I think this is their way to weed out the chaff. !
I asked about that and the response was "yes", majority of people get discourage and never come back for the 2nd interview. The panel would get completely swamped otherwise. The 1st interview is to help spice up the good cause statement.
Old 03-10-2018, 4:52 PM
In Memoriam

So... reading this and the SDCGO post I gather that "personal protection" is not good cause?

I was told that nobody had been denied a CCW since Sep 2017. Does anybody know how many have been issued?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 03-10-2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
So... reading this and the SDCGO post I gather that "personal protection" is not good cause?

I was told that nobody had been denied a CCW since Sep 2017. Does anybody know how many have been issued?
To the best of anyone's knowledge, personal protection, self defense, etc. is not considered good cause.

I'm very curious where you heard the information abut no denials since Sept. That may be a statistical "trick" by simply reviewing the applications at the first session and not "accepting" any that are not likely to pass.

Old 03-10-2018, 5:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Correct. SD Co went from, IIRC, light red to only yellow on the CA CCW GC map below: not to light green, much less dark green (where SD/PP = GC).

Quote:
I was told that nobody had been denied a CCW since Sep 2017.
By whom?

Quote:
Does anybody know how many have been issued?
Best place to get the latest info on what's happening in SD Co re. CCWs is: https://www.facebook.com/SDCGO/

http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

You should join them if you live in SD Co. If you look at their FB page, you'll see that yesterday 55 folk attended a free class on applying for a CCW w/the sheriff. That means in ~90 days, SDCGO should have a much bigger data set re. what passes for GC under Gore. Also in ~90 days is the SD Co sheriffs election where "Shall Issue" Myers is running against incumbent Sheriff Gore.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-10-2018 at 6:10 PM..
Old 03-10-2018, 7:26 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Also in ~90 days is the SD Co sheriffs election where "Shall Issue" Myers is running against incumbent Sheriff Gore.

I think Gore might be a bit worried. He's saying all sorts of nice things but in typical politician vague style. IMO he has zero intention of giving in to "shall issue" & if he's elected we'll be right back to "ha ha fat chance!" of issue.

Just my opinion but I believe the Hero of Ruby Ridge speaks with forked tongue.

I love the "reasonable good cause." Sounds like "reasonable, common sense" gun control...

Quote:
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 03-10-2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I think Gore might be a bit worried. He's saying all sorts of nice things but in typical politician vague style. IMO he has zero intention of giving in to "shall issue" & if he's elected we'll be right back to "ha ha fat chance!" of issue.

Just my opinion but I believe the Hero of Ruby Ridge speaks with forked tongue.
SO even if there has been a number issued as of Sept 2017. How many will be renewed in 2019 if he is indeed re-elected?
Old 03-10-2018, 8:07 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_man View Post
SO even if there has been a number issued as of Sept 2017. How many will be renewed in 2019 if he is indeed re-elected?
I'll take "Zero" for a thousand, Alex.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-10-2018, 8:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Actions speak louder than words: Gore is now regularly issuing CCWs. No one knows what he will do in the future. But for now, law-abiding folk in SD Co have a chance for a CCW, unlike folk in LA Co. Count your blessings and apply!

Quote:
I love the "reasonable good cause." Sounds like "reasonable, common sense" gun control...
Yes, we LOVE "reasonable" Good Cause requirements too! The only things we like better are "SD/PP = GC" and Shall Issue (which, barring a federal court decision, ain't happening anytime soon in CA).

We HATE sheriffs and chiefs who use unreasonable GC requirements.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-10-2018 at 8:17 PM..
Old 03-10-2018, 9:10 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Actions speak louder than words: Gore is now regularly issuing CCWs.
How many of those used "personal protection" as good cause?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-10-2018, 9:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I already answered that in post #46.

From the same post, I'm still waiting for you to tell us who told you there's been zero denials since Sept 2017.

Quote:
Quote:
I was told that nobody had been denied a CCW since Sep 2017.
By whom?

Last edited by Paladin; 03-10-2018 at 9:26 PM..
Old 03-11-2018, 2:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

All has been said Fishkiller. Apply with all reasons others have used referencing SDCGO writings or wait and see. The fact that so many are applying now and the demeanor of the staff at the Licencing Division tells me it's the best time that I've seen for gereral public to apply in last 25 yrs. I applied 2 months ago and am waiting with no expectation as I have been denied 3X and approved 3X in past.
If you're a vulgarian with tatoos north of your clavicles and can't articulate some self defense reason it may be a throw away of $105., freedom is not free. Good luck and PM me with more specs if you like. Marcusrn

Last edited by marcusrn; 03-11-2018 at 2:38 PM..
Old 03-11-2018, 3:36 PM

nm...

Last edited by asymmetricalwarfar3; 03-11-2018 at 3:38 PM..
Old 03-12-2018, 5:03 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Have a better term? The GC requirement varies in the state and "reasonable" was what we came up with. I'm always open to suggestions....
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 03-13-2018, 9:30 AM

I followed up with the clerk since it has been 30 days from submittal. He said it is still in background check. They must have a large backlog or else my background check would come back clean in 30 seconds

"Every man dies, not every man really lives!"

Old 03-14-2018, 1:54 PM

Just saw this interview with Gore:

http://www.kusi.com/sheriff-bill-gor...-in-san-diego/

While he did not discuss CCW directly, he did say that he was against arming teachers because they are not trained in the same way as LEO and because LEO won't be able to identify the good guys from the bad guys at the scene of a shooting, armed civilians represent "a liability" and is "problematic". By extension, this logic would apply to almost any CCW holder situation. He must believe that any civilian with a weapon in public is a "problem". This suggests that his actual opinion has not changed and it would be reasonable to expect his recent uptick in CCW approval rates to disappear after the election.

Astoundingly, the indicated that he believes a study that NYPD offers usually miss their targets represents even stronger evidence that defending our lives should be left to professional LEO and not trusted to mere citizens.

The last take away is that he described CA as being at the forefront of gun laws. I was left with the impression that he never met a civilian gun restriction he did not like or he felt went too far.

Old 03-14-2018, 5:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
Just saw this interview with Gore:

http://www.kusi.com/sheriff-bill-gor...-in-san-diego/

While he did not discuss CCW directly, ...
Look on the bright side: he's 70 yo. If he win reelection, he'll be 74 when he has to run again. Seriously, who wants to elect a 74 yo for sheriff?
Old 03-16-2018, 1:36 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Look on the bright side: he's 70 yo. If he win reelection, he'll be 74 when he has to run again. Seriously, who wants to elect a 74 yo for sheriff?
The "Hero" of Ruby Ridge is ageless....

Old 03-22-2018, 4:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Cross posting some REALLY "good news" from San Diego County Gun Owners PAC:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD County Gun Owners PAC View Post
Since the changes San Diego County Gun Owners PAC forced in September the average applications have gone from 10 a month to over 10 a day and not one person has been turned down due to good cause. We know of hundreds of approved applications and their "good cause" never would have passed before September.
I encourage all San Diego residents to not believe the progress we've seen. Please, be sceptical. Please apply and report back.
Use this video to apply:
Watch "Applying for your CCW in San Diego _ Step by Step w/Additional Info" on YouTube
and

Old 03-23-2018, 4:57 PM

I called yesterday and asked cleck that I applied with on 01/12/18 about status. She said I was just approved and could get training. I had to disclose in the application that I was recently part of a lawsuit against the Sheriff. As appendix II of my application I inclosed a copy of Justice Clarence Thomas and Justice Gorsuch dissenting from denial of Certiorari for Peruta. I figure Gores a Republican and he'd want to know what the NRA is doing with hundreds of thousands of $ donated from citizens.

Last edited by marcusrn; 03-23-2018 at 5:08 PM..
Old 03-23-2018, 5:04 PM

Kind thanks to Michael Schwartz and all SDCGO as well as Paladin with Calguns for their tireless efforts for our civil rights.
Old 03-23-2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusrn View Post
Kind thanks to Michael Schwartz and all SDCGO as well as Paladin with Calguns for their tireless efforts for our civil rights.
I second both of those. I would also add Gore's opponent in the next election, Dave Myers, to that list. I suspect that without his unequivocal stance that SD=GC, no change whatsoever would have been possible.

Old 03-24-2018, 9:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I called yesterday and asked cleck that I applied with on 01/12/18 about status. She said I was just approved and could get training. I had to disclose in the application that I was recently part of a lawsuit against the Sheriff. As appendix II of my application I inclosed a copy of Justice Clarence Thomas and Justice Gorsuch dissenting from denial of Certiorari for Peruta. I figure Gores a Republican and he'd want to know what the NRA is doing with hundreds of thousands of $ donated from citizens.
Congrats!!!

Quote:
There's nothing I enjoy more than helping the law-abiding protect themselves from evildoers.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-24-2018 at 9:25 AM..
Old 03-24-2018, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Now join SDCGO to thank them. We wouldn't be where we are today without their efforts.
Old 03-24-2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
It is almost impossible not to get re-elected in san diego. He will win and after 2 years retire and his deputy will be appointed. I wish the county board would put a stop to this shoe in business.
Old 03-24-2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Congratulations.

Based on your application date it looks like turnaround is about 70 days. I did hear of one other recent person getting approval right at the 90 day mark. In either case it is good to hear positive results!
Old 03-24-2018, 7:59 PM

Marcusrn

Quote:
...I have been denied 3X and approved 3X in past.

Could you share with us any insight regarding any reasons behind the mixed results? Different GC statements? Different Sheriffs? Any rhyme or reason to this you can make out prior to your current approval?

Old 03-25-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Marcusrn

Could you share with us any insight regarding any reasons behind the mixed results? Different GC statements? Different Sheriffs? Any rhyme or reason to this you can make out prior to your current approval?
WAT? Politics are the reason.I sued Sheriff Gore in Peruta circa 2009/2010. Read my deposition from 2010 in Peruta vs SD Sheriff.
In 2005 the lic div did not want to give me a licence because I worked as an RN and they had not given LTC to a nurse. My application was so strong with six letters of approval from retired,reserve, and active LEO that it was embarressing to have on file. My application had various police reports of death threats from dangerous people with history and jail tatoos. I worked traveling to hospital Emergency Departments and police stations all over Orange County from 1999 until 2005 doing psychiatric evaluations. I would decide who who stay and who would go. I put people on 5150 holds and many were psychotic due to drugs. Some would refuse blood and urine draws. People who speed for 4 days and don't sleep present with same symptoms as schizophrenics in crisis. Some people with psych histories are thugs as well as folks who have drug induced psychosis. The hospital I worked out of (WestMedAnaheim) had guns taken from cops in the ER two times the last yr I worked there. One nurse shot at and patient was shot, killed and chewed on by police dog. Also West Anahiem hosp on Beach Blvd that I served had 3 staff shot and killed by an irate family member of a patient.

Several SDS LIC DIV employees asked me numerous times to ****can my application and walk away and were not in the least embarassed about it. Well, thats not entirely true. The clerk(Jerry Quinlinn now retired) doing my interview let me know that my documentation was very strong and he was troubled. So what does one do, one joins the august group of Honorary Deputy Sheriffs ***. Long story short I got a flat badge and LTC. The pict below my Avatar is Sheriff Bill Kolender presenting me with a flat badge and expensive leather wallet. I renewed the LTC the next year and quit the HDSA. When I reapplied for same reasons they denied me. I joined the plaintiffs of Peruta and they said "Oh, you didn't appeal your denial". I told the Sean Brady at Michel and *** that I'd appeal and magically they gave me my 3rd LTC in late 2010 because they had egg on their uniforms. I stayed with Peruta because of the harm and disrespect I'd indured. I promised myself in 2005 that I would apply for LTC every two yrs with SDSD even if denied. There was a desk rat deputy named "Inspector"Tom Morton that I particularly disdained. He actually told me that if I didn,t throw away my app that it would be harder to get licence in the future.WAT? Yes' my head did explode!
Here I am, a nurse being threatened and doing everything legal to protect myself and he has to get involved. There were civilians already telling me to go away but I wouldn't go and this guy with all the money spent training him. He could have parked outside a school and protected school children or hung out at a bank . He chose to shake down this diminutive nurse. Sworn officiers are a big deal, my wife is retired LASD, my cousin retired Asst Chief of San Bernadino PD, my Grandpa Captain Chicago and two Uncles same. It's a mean thing to shake down a civilian that goes out of their way to obey the law. I will not abide rude,servile behavior in man or maid.There I've shared my 15 minutes and even before I get the hard copy license. When you deal with people like this for 25 yrs you realize that no piece of paper is going to make a big difference. You will always be responsible for your own safety.

Last edited by marcusrn; 03-25-2018 at 1:27 AM..
Old 03-25-2018, 10:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm very curious where you heard the information abut no denials since Sept. That may be a statistical "trick" by simply reviewing the applications at the first session and not "accepting" any that are not likely to pass.
Here's a posting from a few days ago by San Diego County Gun Owners PAC that says it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD County Gun Owners PAC View Post
Since the changes San Diego County Gun Owners PAC forced in September the average applications have gone from 10 a month to over 10 a day and not one person has been turned down due to good cause. We know of hundreds of approved applications and their "good cause" never would have passed before September.
I encourage all San Diego residents to not believe the progress we've seen. Please, be sceptical. Please apply and report back.
Use this video to apply:
Watch "Applying for your CCW in San Diego _ Step by Step w/Additional Info" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Ps8nJgn60Lg
IMO, SD Co is now at least "light green" on the CA CCW GC map.

SD Co could even be "dark green" since, it appears, SDCGOPAC does not know what GC won't fly with Gore and since dark green includes more than just counties that only require "SD/PP" = GC.

baggss and I are discussing all this re. the map.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-25-2018 at 10:17 AM..
Old 03-25-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
So what does one do, one joins the august group of Honorary Deputy Sheriffs ***. Long story short I got a flat badge and LTC....
Thanks for all the detailed info. So it looks like your three prior approvals were results from your membership in the HDSA. How sad that that is what it took.

Old 03-26-2018, 8:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I second both of those. I would also add Gore's opponent in the next election, Dave Myers, to that list. I suspect that without his unequivocal stance that SD=GC, no change whatsoever would have been possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Now join SDCGO to thank them. We wouldn't be where we are today without their efforts.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-26-2018 at 10:21 PM..
Old 03-26-2018, 10:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
I was chatting with a guy who lives in Corona and is applying. He is saying that, from his sources and information from the county, they are accepting PP as good cause and the process is moving along fairly quickly.

I told him that people were claiming 2 year processing time and apparently only one person processing the load, he said that was not correct.

Maybe someone else can confirm they have improved and maybe even become dark green?
The situation, as you can gather, is in a flux. Before this past week, I would have said SD/PP wouldn't fly as GC with Gore. Now I'm not so sure. But why risk it? Why not just say, "I'm an avid shooter. I go to the range 2x/month. Here's my range receipts. Here's photos of me shooting. I enter local shooting matches once every 3 months. Here's my entry stubs. Here's my scored targets. Here's my trophies. Here's my photos of me competing." Tell Gore a reason/s you are at higher than "average"/"normal" risk of attack AND provide supporting evidence. Is that really too hard or too much of a compromise of your principles???

I really wonder if some CGNers would rather make a point than get a CCW....

Quote:
Per my previous post quoting SDCGOPAC, they say that they know of "hundreds" that have been issued since Sept and that "not one" was denied for lack of/insufficient GC.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-26-2018 at 10:26 PM..
Old 03-27-2018, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Why not just say, "I'm an avid shooter. I go to the range 2x/month. Here's my range receipts. Here's photos of me shooting. I enter local shooting matches once every 3 months. Here's my entry stubs. Here's my scored targets. Here's my trophies. Here's my photos of me competing."
I notice that both you and the SDCGO video advocate mentioning something about shooting prowess, experience, and/or shooting frequency. There is nothing in the application asking about that nor was it addressed, even tangentially, in my interview. I'm just curious where the information comes from that this information is helpful in improving your approval chances.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:25 AM

I already submitted a application with self defense as good cause; it's probably sitting in a pile somewhere collecting dust.
Old 03-27-2018, 3:30 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I notice that both you and the SDCGO video advocate mentioning something about shooting prowess, experience, and/or shooting frequency. There is nothing in the application asking about that nor was it addressed, even tangentially, in my interview. I'm just curious where the information comes from that this information is helpful in improving your approval chances.
I sit possible this wasn't mentioned in your interview because you didn't list anything about this on your application?

Old 03-27-2018, 5:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I was using that as an example of something to use as a Good Cause that sets you apart from the "average" resident and could make you more likely to be a target for attack, not as some sort of qualification due to your "prowess" or "experience." It was just to show that you regularly transport valuables (i.e., guns & ammo), that makes you a target for armed robbery. IOW, if you can't say you're a gold/silver dealer, or jeweler and that makes you a target, you may be able to say you're a regularly shooter who also drives around with several semiauto guns and ammo competing in 3-gun matches and that makes you a target.

It's not "see, I regularly shoot and compete, therefore I'm competent with guns and should be entrusted with a CCW." That's NOT addressing GC, but training. The IA assumes if you've passed the training and pass the range test, you've got sufficient "prowess."

Understand the difference?

Last edited by Paladin; 03-27-2018 at 6:08 PM..
Old 03-27-2018, 6:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Does anyone know if/when the SDSO will switch to an online CCW application process and not just having the application online which you then download, print out, fill out and mail/drop off?

http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

IMO, if SDSO doesn't go to an online process very soon, that will become a bottleneck that backs up applications and delays issuing CCWs.

I think once word gets out re. the change by Gore, there's going to be a flood of applicants....
Old 03-27-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
It's not "see, I regularly shoot and compete, therefore I'm competent with guns and should be entrusted with a CCW." That's NOT addressing GC, but training. The IA assumes if you've passed the training and pass the range test, you've got sufficient "prowess."

Understand the difference?
Oh yes, and I concur that transportation of valuable firearms puts you at higher risk and enhances GC. I guess I was thrown off by your mention of scored targets and trophies.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
IMO, if SDSO doesn't go to an online process very soon, that will become a bottleneck that backs up applications and delays issuing CCWs.
On more than one occasion in the process I was told that the bottleneck in the process is at the end--the committee that meets on an ad hoc basis to make the actual GC determination and approval. If that is the case, unless they are going to streamline that process or devote more time to it, that will set the limit on how many applications can be processed per month, and opening the funnel wider at the beginning won't really accomplish much. If I understand, the state law requires them to decide within 90 days of getting the fingerprint results back, so if they don't improve the final step, in order to comply with the law they will have to begin delaying submittals of fingerprints or delay initial appointments. I believe I read somewhere that Riverside County is backed up close to two years.