Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2023, 2:31 PM

Default IAs prohibiting modifications?

Over in the Handguns forum, there has been a lot of chatter in various threads about how some Issuing Authorities (emphasis on "some") do not allow modifications to handguns listed on a CCW permit; the weapons must be out-of-the-box stock configuration.

Of course, my first response was, "define 'modification'" [actually it was "BS!"]. I mean, are these people trying to imply that an IA would consider changing grip panels or installing night sights a "modification"?

So I intend to contact my IA directly and determine what, if anything, is prohibited in my county. On the other hand, I don't want to stick my foot in my mouth either, and act like a fool by reacting to FUD/idiocy (even though I suppose I already could be guilty of that by posting this ).

Can anyone give me one example of an IA that specifically prohibits modifications to weapons listed on a CCW permit? If so, where can the official policy statement be found? Because without one, it's just hearsay, even if your IA "told" you directly that was the case.

[And as an aside, assuming there is such an example, I'm okay in that IA's jurisdiction as long as my IA is okay with modifications, right? Otherwise, this opens up a can of worms (as if it isn't already) and brings us back to non-standardized policy throughout the state again, something the CalGuns Foundation worked hard to eliminate. And of course, as far as the law is concerned, if there's no law on the books prohibiting modifications, then there's no legal recourse for an IA to enforce such a policy, right? This just seems to me to be too "out there" to really be true... but this is Kalifornia, after all.]

Thanks!

Factory Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
P.O.S.T. Certified Armorer: 1911 pistols, AR-15/M16/M4 weapon systems, Glock handguns, Remington 870 shotgun, Sig Sauer handguns.
Certified Sig Sauer P320 Armorer

Let's Go Brandon

Last edited by Bullwinkle; 11-04-2023 at 2:35 PM..