Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-10-2020, 8:22 AM

Default Vacuum sealing/freezing: raw or cooked meat

Title kind of states it.

Does raw or cooked meat last longer in vacuum bags put in a freezer?

My freezer is not a frost free freezer. I'd heard that most issues with frozen food is the thaw/freeze cycling that frost free freezers go through.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:34 AM

i had always heard that raw lasts longer than cooked, but i don't have any actual studies to point to proving that. either way, i think the most important things are that your freezer can maintain temps below -20C / -5F and that your bags maintain their seals.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:46 AM

I like pickled hot sausage, so I spent a lot of time perfecting a canning technique to make them last without refrigeration. So far I have been successful way beyond my expectations.

In my running experiment, I have a jar of pickled hot sausage canned on 12/2/2011. I plan to open this jar in 13 months to see how they taste. The look exactly the same as they did the day I canned them. Am looking forward to see how well they survived (or not).
Old 11-10-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
..... Am looking forward to see how well they survived (or not).
“.....how I survived ( or not)!...”. 😬
Old 11-10-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC-J View Post
Title kind of states it.

Does raw or cooked meat last longer in vacuum bags put in a freezer?

My freezer is not a frost free freezer. I'd heard that most issues with frozen food is the thaw/freeze cycling that frost free freezers go through.
Probably. I dry-age my own prime steaks and store them raw in vac bags in the freezer. Have kept them plus raw fish for a year without damage.

Because of the vacuum seal, meat also last longer in the fridge by a week or two.
Old 11-10-2020, 1:05 PM

How long do you plan to store it? I get a year no problem out of meat wrapped freezer paper. I hate vacuum sealing...slow and seems like they end up leaking for one reason or another. Fish is the only thing I vac seal

Last edited by luckylogger6; 11-10-2020 at 1:11 PM..
Old 11-10-2020, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
Probably. I dry-age my own prime steaks and store them raw in vac bags in the freezer. Have kept them plus raw fish for a year without damage.

Because of the vacuum seal, meat also last longer in the fridge by a week or two.
Fish is species dependent...tuna, yellowtail, wahoo, salmon yes but rockfish only last about 3 months before it gets fishy regardless of storage method
Old 11-10-2020, 1:10 PM

Almost all meats will keep longer in vac-seal bags. It's not just a frost-free freezer that causes burn. My wife put a New York in the deep freeze without sealing it and it burned in less than a week.

I'll take fresh caught scallops and put them in a bag with a little brandy or whiskey, seal and freeze and have had them over a year later with no issues. Paper wrapped meat from the butcher counter also lasts a long time without burn.

To keep fish a really long time, I'll freeze them completely immersed in water in a 1 gallon zip lock. Trout and salmon will last a couple of years that way.
Old 11-12-2020, 7:27 AM

Thanks for all the feedback.

To answer some questions.

I'm specifically looking at chicken and ground beef for potentially cooking before freezing. Most of my "usual" recipes have the same base cooked version of both. Unless sushi grade fish holds for a damn, fish is off the plate; my wife only likes sushi and can't do cooked.

I don't have a specific length of time. But if I can buy a super bulk amount to save money, I'd prefer to do it.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:01 AM

not sure what your idea of "super bulk" is but I would not recommend buying more than you can use in a year. For ground beef you can probably get a deal on a cull cow and grind it yourself and it will be better than any cheep ground beef you buy in the store...

Last edited by luckylogger6; 11-12-2020 at 10:05 AM..
Old 11-12-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylogger6 View Post
not sure what your idea of "super bulk" is but I would not recommend buying more than you can use in a year. For ground beef you can probably get a deal on a cull cow and grind it yourself and it will be better than any cheep ground beef you buy in the store...
My idea of "super bulk" is more than the 1lb and 5lb max pack from the store and more than the 10lb Costco bulk buy.

My half *** math says I could easily use 50lbs of either in a year. If I go pure bird, I could up that to 100lbs.

As for grinding my own, I rarely do just hamburger patties so any quality is a waste Add in watching my dad spend hours doing it and burning up two machines, it just doesn't make sense Plus, I don't mind a little rat
Old 11-12-2020, 12:04 PM

i buy whole salmon, portion myself, cure for a few hours in a bath of diluted rice vinegar, then freeze and later serve as sushi. again, as long as your freezer can maintain temps below -5*F it will kill parasites. no need to pay extra for "sushi grade" pre portioned chunks. all "sushi grade" means is that it's been properly frozen.
Old 11-12-2020, 2:23 PM

Freezer temp and temp stability are important, along with:
-moisture content of whatever goes into the bags
-how much air the machine evacuates from the bags before sealing
-quality of seal
-thickness of the bags

I've had bluefin and wahoo raw from my frozen vac packs over a year after sealing and they were good.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:28 PM

Yes, meat will stay better longer if vac sealed. It seems like you are trying to buy in bulk when sales hit - in my experience the best way to do that is to vacuum seal and freeze some, pressure can some, & make jerky out of some. Last March while everyone else was out searching for TP, boneless skinless chicken breasts went on sale for $.99/Lb so I bought 50Lbs, the next week London Broil went on sale and I bought 50Lbs of that too, then ground turkey went on sale so I bought 50Lbs of that too. I froze some, canned a bunch, and made a bunch of jerky. The London Broil made beef jerky for me, the chicken made jerky treats for my dog.
Old 11-17-2020, 5:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have good success with a vac sealer and a chest freezer. Generally things rotate through in 2-3 months, but I have had steaks (NY and tri tip) frozen over 9 months without issue.
Old 11-21-2020, 7:01 AM
Veteran Member

Two years ago we butchered a steer - most of it ground in two pound plastic bags. Just had some last night tasted fine and about the same as ever. That's two years no frills plastic bag in a chest freezer.

Still have 10 pounds to go.
Old 11-21-2020, 9:37 AM

We just had some Tri tip that we had vacuum bagged and put in our freezer (not frost free) and it was dated March 2014. Was just as good as fresh.
As for ground beef, never tried to freeze it that long, but we have canned it and eaten it when it was 5+ years old.
What tears up the meat is when the ice crystals form and actually cut the cells in the beef, which is why it may seem mushy and lose some of its flavor.
That was why we vacuum bagged it to eliminate the moisture in any trapped air.
Old 11-22-2020, 9:22 AM

Now that we've established that extra cold and in freezer bags/vacuum bags is the way to go.

Can we steer back to: will cooked meat last longer than raw meat?
Old 11-22-2020, 10:47 AM

I can't imagine whether it's cooked or not will make it "last" longer. I know people mention a year, but meat that stays frozen solid would still be edible for much longer than that. It's going to suffer taste and consistency, but not unsafe. I suspect that raw frozen will be better eating. That's because any of the off, old, freezer flavor that meat tends to pick up, will be eliminated when it is cooked. Method of cooked probably matters too. I wouldn't grill a 3 year old frozen ribeye medium-rare, but I did braise a pork shoulder for carnitas, and that meat was in the freezer 2 years easily and it turned out fine.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
I like pickled hot sausage...
New sig?
Old 11-22-2020, 11:25 AM

I buy Costco steaks, wrap each one in plastic wrap, then put several in a big zip lock bag. Works great.
Old 11-22-2020, 8:43 PM

reheated food often has an unpleasant mushy texture, so there's that.