Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-16-2021, 6:10 PM

Default Savage Elite 110 vs Ruger Precision Rifle

I am looking at both the Savage Elite 110 (MDT chassis) and the Ruger Precision Rifle, both in either 338 Lapua or possibly 300 PRC. If anyone has had the opportunity to work with both, would appreciate any opinions. I do not care about weight or size. I do care about accuracy, bolt operation, and overall build quality. Thanks for opinions. I have not found much on the Internet where both were compared.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:44 PM

I owned a ruger precision rifle in 6.5 creedmoor for a few years what i can tell you is the build quality was excellent and it was very accurate there's a lot of bang for you buck.. i think you'll be happy with either one
Old 03-04-2021, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Savage 110 are nice I own an ashbury and the things a fkin tack driver. RPR probably lot cheaper though.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 03-05-2021, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil3 View Post
I am looking at both the Savage Elite 110 (MDT chassis) and the Ruger Precision Rifle, both in either 338 Lapua or possibly 300 PRC. If anyone has had the opportunity to work with both, would appreciate any opinions. I do not care about weight or size. I do care about accuracy, bolt operation, and overall build quality. Thanks for opinions. I have not found much on the Internet where both were compared.
The ACC chassis is WAY better than the RPR. I have both chassis in my safe.

The ACC is long so it's very stable for a bipod.
The ACC is wide and flat so it recoils smoothly and predictably from a bag.
The vertical pistol crip is nice
The buttstock is real and not plastic like the RPR

Precision in the big calibers in the 110BA is proven.

I am not a Savage fanboy but in this configuration, it is worth strongly considering.

The ACC with adjustable grip and buttstock is just under $1,300 all by itself. That makes the 110BA barreled action with trigger and beak about 700.. That's a steal!

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.
Old 03-05-2021, 5:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The old Ashbury Precision Ordnance chassis on the short action Savage from a few years ago used to sell for a thousand bucks bare, from APO. Every once in awhile I saw those Savages on sale for like $1100, meaning you got the barreled action for a hundred bucks.
Old 03-05-2021, 6:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Man, I wish I had a place to shoot a beast like a .338 or .300 PRC. I've seen these in .338 for a bit over $1800, a screaming bargain. I wish that I too, could spend $6 per shot. Where would I find ammo, you ask? The local CAL Ranch has plenty, to go with the Christensen .338 Lapua bolt rifles they carry. That would be so much funnier if you knew what a hick town this is.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:46 AM

I've been running a Savage 110 in 6.5 CM for a while (+/- 3,200 rounds, on my second barrel) and it is a good value, accurate rifle. This being said, the action is terrible. It is really sloppy and fails to eject cases often. I've gone through all the fixes and some helped a bit, but it continues to be an issue. The root cause is sloppy manufacturing tolerances and that can't be fixed. If you are looking for a decent action, I would steer you away from the Savage.
Old 03-10-2021, 1:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Have you tried talking to the factory? They know about their extractors. They might fix it for you for free.

Or...
https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage...actor-Kit.html
https://www.kinneysshootingsupply.co...-p/ss-2401.htm

Cheap fix. I think those two might actually be the same parts, but the second link has some reviews.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:17 AM

Yes, I contacted Savage. They were not very helpful and I had to chase them to get responses. It is a very common issue. All they were willing to do was send a new extractor, spring and detent ball. It took them over two months to send the parts. I installed them and they made no difference, because the issue is not the parts, its the action. I bought the tactical works kit, installed it and it helped a little bit, but cases still don't eject reliably. The scope rail also came loose within a couple months of buying the rifle. It's fine - I'll just never buy another Savage. I got what I paid for and know better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Have you tried talking to the factory? They know about their extractors. They might fix it for you for free.

Or...
https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage...actor-Kit.html
https://www.kinneysshootingsupply.co...-p/ss-2401.htm

Cheap fix. I think those two might actually be the same parts, but the second link has some reviews.
Old 04-11-2021, 2:24 PM

I am the OP and have investigated the Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) and the Savage 110 Elite Precision (MDT chassis and stock). Couple of things to note. The Ruger is about $100 less on MSRP (last time I checked). The Ruger comes with a muzzle brake, the Savage does not (in 338 Lapua and 300 PRC). The Savage is slightly lighter, but may be heavier with a muzzle brake screwed on. The Ruger has a 26" barrel while the Savage has a 30". Assuming the barrel measurements are done the same way and really are 26" and 30". I see the Savage having a major advantage. That being the muzzle blast from the Savage (w/brake) should be less. Shooters have reported a longer barrel definitely helps with intensity of muzzle blast, in part due to it being a bit further away from one's ears, but also because the gas pressure is a bit less.

I did handle a Ruger RPR 300 PRC and it is physically really BIG. The widely panned stock seemed sturdy enough, but will never match the 110 Elite's MDT stock. I was surprised at the nice action on the Ruger. 70 degree bolt throw, reasonable bolt lift effort. At 15.2 lbs, it is heavy, but no surprise given approximate 50" length. The Savage is as long, but has no brake.
Old 04-11-2021, 4:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

So did you buy one?
Old 04-11-2021, 6:08 PM

No. I cannot find either one! I am also having indecision on the 300PRC or 338 Lapua. Compared to the 300PRC, the 338 offers little to no ballistic advantage at a mile or so (from data I saw), is more costly to shoot, has more muzzle blast, more recoil, more concussion. The 338 does hit harder at most distances though and hits can be heard and seen a bit more easily (steel target).

All that said, and despite a multitude of advantages for the 300 PRC, I have to admit I just really want the 338 Lapua. So that's what I a looking for. Wish I could locate a Savage 110 Elite Precision to compare to the Ruger RPR 300 PRC I already handled.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/897099043

$2500 starting bid, but I have a feeling there won't be a lot of competition. Plus, you're in luck because the guy is in Vegas, and maybe you could go over and fondle it. MSRP for the gun alone is $2k, but this gun comes with more than $500 in goodies. 80 rounds of ammo is worth $6 per = $480 just for the ammo. The bipod looks expensive.

The pics look BAD-*SS! I'm jealous, and have to keep telling myself I have NO place to shoot it, to keep from snarking it out from under you.

As of when I posted this, 14 hours till auction expiration. If nobody buys it, and you're face-to-face in the store, I bet you could get it for $2400 or maybe less. I have to keep telling myself I have to work tomorrow and can't drive up to Vegas...

edit: Looks like the bipod it has are in excess of $300.

Dammit!

Last edited by sigstroker; 04-12-2021 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: bipod
Old 04-12-2021, 1:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Oh crap, just realized the msrp on the Lapua is $2199, making it an even BETTER deal.

Temptation......