Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:37 AM

I used to buy 1890s to 1920s silver dollars and stash them but the Dales Clocks and Coins shop in Antioch disappeared sometime last year and now I am trying to remember to check out silver sale locations near Concord/Pleasant Hill in Contra Costa county. I don't like scalpum prices for silver dollars for grade this or grade that, just coins that used to be in circulation. You can always use more if it gets beyond paper currency. I can't see trying to buy anything with gold coins that will require hundreds of $$ in change ! I have a very good stash of soups and veggies and a bit of seaweed as well.

For drinking water I bought a Lifestraw for filtering water and a friend gave me some iodine tabs I keep at arms length in my desk.

I just dros'd a Henry lever 22lr and it will be great for shorts, 22BB caps and subsonic rnds it you have to deal with trash ( hoodlums ) coming over the backyard fence. Still askin the Big Bossman ( The Lord ) from time to time what else I may need to acquire.

Psalm 1

Last edited by Garand Hunter; 04-09-2021 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: sentence structure
Old 04-09-2021, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
I used to buy 1890s to 1920s silver dollars and stash them
Be very careful with that, Morgan dollars are becoming VERY popular to fake up now, China is mass producing them. I see ads on FB all the time offering "museum sell outs" selling supposed 90% silver dollars for much below spot price. It's ridiculous, but there are some that buy them, and won't accept that they are being scammed.
Old 04-10-2021, 8:38 PM

A few years ago I scored a dual fuel Coleman stove and lantern on ebay. I keep gas on hand, plus I can siphon from car. My camping trailer has solar and a new inverter. I keep the water tank full.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
Its not my experience or understanding they need power to produce it; but you are spot on with several points that many ignore.

First people seem to hate "leases" and power purchase agreements all because someone else is making money. Your point is so well noted in the second sentence - solar on your house for zero out of pocket and all you do is continue to buy electricity - its just produced on your house. Someone ( a company) is willing to invest tens of thousands to put solar on your house, charge you nothing up front, and all you do is pay for the power - just like you would if you were tied to the power company still (which you are). I don't get the hatred for that. So what its a lease, an agreement, a contract, etc - make sure you negotiate a good one.

Now I don't think the system needs power but they do block it from producing for the reason you stated - so that power doesn't go onto the grid and hurt someone working on it. That said the next poster is correct - there is a means to changing that but it violates your agreement. If SHTF that agreement is worthless and that system is on your roof; I'd want a way to access the power from it and the investment to make that happen is quite small.
That lease sticks with your house meaning if you want to sell, the buyer must agree to continue the lease. If you plan to stay in your house for 20-30 years, OK. But If you're thinking about leaving the area, that solar lease will complicate the sale of your house.