Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Tikka CTR or Steyr Scout?

I'd like to hear from owners.

I've read conflicting info on the cheek piece. It's adjustable. It's not adjustable. Which is it?

I've also read lots of complaining about Tikka plastic stocks. Are the CTR stocks as bad as the others?

I want this rifle to be lightweight and mobile. I would have probably chosen a T3x Lite if they came with a threaded barrel. Threaded barrel is a must.

Edit: Gotten some good feedback on the Tikka, now wanting to compare it to the Steyr Scout. I think the Steyr is a little lighter, but they're close.

Last edited by sigstroker; 07-09-2018 at 9:57 PM.. Reason: added Steyr Scout
Old 07-09-2018, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

Not adjustable. The older TAC and Super Varmint had adjustable cheek pieces.

Complain about what exactly? Mine suits me just fine. I have a T3X CTR and a T3 Lite. I don't need fancy.

A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned.
Old 07-09-2018, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwaiz View Post
Complain about what exactly? Mine suits me just fine. I have a T3X CTR and a T3 Lite. I don't need fancy.
Ditto. I have two T3 Lites. They shoot better than I do. A couple hundred squirrels would back me up if the gun hadn’t turned them into bird food.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwaiz View Post
Not adjustable. The older TAC and Super Varmint had adjustable cheek pieces.

I see complaints about being too flexy. Not the case?

How is the comb height with a scope, seeing they don't have a raised cheekpiece?

I just want my stock to be functional, don't need a chassis or anything like that. This will be in .308, so no worries about a magnum boomer shooting loose.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Have owned quite a few Tikka’s. Never had a stock on one be too “flexy”.

They shoot VERY well and make a fantastic foundation for a custom build down the road if you so choose.

I have a T3 Lite ina CTR stock. Never had an issue with cheek weld...even on the Lite stock.

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
I see complaints about being too flexy. Not the case?

How is the comb height with a scope, seeing they don't have a raised cheekpiece?

I just want my stock to be functional, don't need a chassis or anything like that. This will be in .308, so no worries about a magnum boomer shooting loose.
I get one inch groups out of my Tikkas with hand loads using a powder in the projectile maker’s load data and that’s good enough for the critters I hunt at the distances I’m comfortable shooting. If that kind of accuracy is good enough for your application, then no need to mess with the stock.
Old 07-09-2018, 1:03 PM
Veteran Member

The factory Tikka stocks are "flexy" when compared to an aftermarket composite or laminate stock. But for a plastic stock out of the box they are light weight and pretty stable.

I have a T3 Lite 7mm with DNZ lows and the comb height is decent for my face. You can buy a "stock pack" to raise the height as much as you want. Good for keeping some allen wrenches and dope chart in the pocket too. But for most faces the CTR stock is pretty great for a stocker.
Old 07-09-2018, 3:26 PM

“How is the comb height with a scope, seeing they don't have a raised cheekpiece?”

Tikka stocks are designed to be shot with a scope mounted. I’ve never heard a complaint about the comb being too low to get a good cheek weld. There are of course going to be people with an unusual build that have an issue but they’ll have it with other rifle stocks too.

Tikka synthetic stocks are flimsy compared to nice aftermarket stocks. Compared to OEM synthetic stocks on Remington, Savage and Ruger budget rifle they are pretty rigid.
Old 07-09-2018, 8:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
The factory Tikka stocks are "flexy" when compared to an aftermarket composite or laminate stock. But for a plastic stock out of the box they are light weight and pretty stable.

I have a T3 Lite 7mm with DNZ lows and the comb height is decent for my face. You can buy a "stock pack" to raise the height as much as you want.
Ugh, I hate those things. Hopefully the stock will be fine if I decide to get it.

The other one I'm considering is the Steyr Scout. Dang, I should've asked about it in this thread too.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:55 PM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

No experience with the Steyr Scout however I currently run the T3X CTR in 24". Hopefully I can share some insight about the stock. The factory stock is very serviceable. Depending on what you plan to utilize it for, its very solid compared to other factory stocks from different makes within their budget minded lines. I did have minor issues with the cheek weld (stock was non-adjustable) even with running the lowest ring setup for my optic. I just favored having a higher comb and naturally had to adjust to find the perfect spot. I did consider adding a generic kydex cheek rests before going with a Manners stock. No intent of making a "lightweight" setup nor plan on doing any PRS matches hence why she's a porker now LOL.

Before and after pics for your review....

You did mention saving weight while maintaining a threaded barrel. Are you wanting to hunt or use for a precision rig? FWIW the CTR in a 20" setup is a sweet setup if you plan to just leave it stock and use factory bottom metal. If no need for DBM and really want the lightweight barrel, get the T3X Lite and just get the barrel threaded.

Good luck on your adventure!
Vinny

Old 07-10-2018, 12:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I just want a general purpose .308. I used to have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight (got stolen) so I want something with similar characteristics, only better.

The T3x Lite has a very thin barrel, which according to some on teh intarwebs, makes it not feasible to be threaded. A silencer needs a good enough shoulder to sit absolutely parallel to the bore to avoid baffle strikes, and that requires a certain amount of metal. However, I've heard a dissenting opinion, so maybe it's not an issue.

The CTR and the Steyr Scout come already threaded.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 PM
In Memoriam

Remington released a threaded Model Seven this year:

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...seven-threaded

16 inch barrel, 308 or 300BLK, factory threaded, ~$600 online.

-- Michael
Old 07-12-2018, 10:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Where did I ask about a Remington? Not interested.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:12 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If looking for a general purpose .308, you cannot go wrong with the Steyr Scout, and among other superb attributes (and for the price!) is equipped with an integral folding bipod.

Looking back, I would have saved a little more and purchased one instead of the Ruger Gunsite Scout, which, is a perfectly good shooter, robust, and in it's Ruger composite stock, now weighs six and three-quarter pounds, not scoped. The Ruger's ghost ring irons are excellent.

Look for a copy of The Scout Rifle Study by Richard Mann, and of course The Art of the Rifle by Jeff Cooper. The Steyr was made because of Cooper's influence. Richard Mann, a Cooper devotee, is pretty hard on much of what is being sold as a scout rifle these days. His ultimate rifle, though, is in the neighborhood of 4 grand, so...

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 07-12-2018, 12:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Where did I ask about a Remington? Not interested.
A model 7 would suit you perfectly.
Lightweight, short barrel with threads, almost no aftermarket support besides triggers and stocks.
It's everything you are looking for...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 07-12-2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
If looking for a general purpose .308, you cannot go wrong with the Steyr Scout, and among other superb attributes (and for the price!) is equipped with an integral folding bipod.
I love my Steyr Scout. But to get the most out of a Scout Rifle, you need to understand the concept behind it, and you need to accept it is most defiantly not a range toy, competition rifle, etc. It is a work rifle that is carried a lot, shot little (compared to a "range toy"), and is for when you KNOW you need a rifle, but do not know for exactly what.... until you do.

The only factory Scout Rifle that comes as close as currently possible (at least as the end of the 20th century)to Cooper's vision is the Steyr. This is not actually debatable (though some will try), but that doesn't mean the other options are "crap". They will still make fine general purpose rifles, particularly the Ruger.

If you don't care about all of Cooper's specific features/attributes that make up his concept of what a general purpose rifle should be, Ruger, Savage, Mossberg, Legacy Sports (howa), and Remington custom shop all have options that make for a very, very fine general purpose rifle.

Of all the options, my vote is always going to be the Steyr IF you are intent on experiencing the "scout rifle concept" as envisioned by Cooper to it's fullest. Not just because Cooper "blessed it" as THE scout rifle, or because it was my choice, but because it is the only factory rifle that will actually give you an idea of what Cooper what going for. It is the only factory rifle in existence at this time that brings together just about all of Cooper's wish list. No other offering out there comes as close and does it as well.

your only other choice to come close is to spend around $4000 give or take for a custom rifle and even then you still likely come up short. Except maybe Richard's Ultra Light Arms Scout, that is probably one of a very, very, very few rifles in existence that comes close to the ideal.

Quote:
Look for a copy of The Scout Rifle Study by Richard Mann, and of course The Art of the Rifle by Jeff Cooper. The Steyr was made because of Cooper's influence. Richard Mann, a Cooper devotee, is pretty hard on much of what is being sold as a scout rifle these days. His ultimate rifle, though, is in the neighborhood of 4 grand, so...
I am not sure I would call Mann a "devotee", maybe more of an admirer, but most certainly without a doubt intrigued by and a fan of the Cooper Scout Rifle concept. I know I don't consider my self a "devotee", never met Cooper, don't know if I would actually even like him, but I am intrigued by and a fan of his scout rifle concept.

Richard is one of a few that actually and truly know about/of and get the Cooper Scout Rifle concept. His book is THE source for learning about the scout rifle. He doesn't just regurgitate theory, he has spent a few years now actually putting the rifles through their paces in a wide range of environments from all over the US to Africa.

If you think you want a scout rifle, get his book, read it then decide. But Tikka vs Steyr.... two different rifles built for two different concepts. you can't really compare them.

Last edited by 1859sharps; 07-12-2018 at 5:48 PM..
Old 07-12-2018, 6:02 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Now that I think about it, yes; Mann would not be a devotee to much other than perhaps Melvin Forbes and Jim Brockman.

I say that with love. ...and respect. I've had to eat my hat once regarding Richard Mann. He certainly knows what he's doing, and he is good friends with Janelle Cooper and many of the Gunsite staff and staff alumni. And he's friends with one of my favorite gun celebs, Sheriff Jim Wilson.

Quote:
But Tikka vs Steyr.... two different rifles built for two different concepts. you can't really compare them.

Well, there's the OP's answer. If I were a betting man, I'd bet he'd be happiest with the Steyr. Or a Brockman NULA.

Old 07-12-2018, 8:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
A model 7 would suit you perfectly.
Lightweight, short barrel with threads, almost no aftermarket support besides triggers and stocks.
It's everything you are looking for...
Heh. Actually, it wouldn't be an awful choice, but I already have a lot of "ordinary" rifles. I'm looking something a little bit special. I've fondled a Tikka, and my friend has a Steyr Scout, which I hope he'll let me put hands on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1859sharps View Post
<snip a lot of stuff about Cooper's scout concept>

If you think you want a scout rifle, get his book, read it then decide. But Tikka vs Steyr.... two different rifles built for two different concepts. you can't really compare them.
Actually, I don't care anything about the scout "concept". I feel like I need a .308 bolt gun because my other one was stolen, and I have not one, but two, tons of ammo. I'm going to use a traditional rifle scope in the traditional position. I think the Tikka is very similar in a lot of ways. Both about the same length, weight, 70 degree bolt throw, European cold hammer forged barrels that last a lifetime, etc, etc.

Quote:
I say that with love. ...and respect. I've had to eat my hat once regarding Richard Mann. He certainly knows what he's doing, and he is good friends with Janelle Cooper and many of the Gunsite staff and staff alumni. And he's friends with one of my favorite gun celebs, Sheriff Jim Wilson.
If I want to play Cooper fanboi, I'll bow down before my friend's Steyr Scout that was signed by Cooper.
Old 07-12-2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Now that I think about it, yes; Mann would not be a devotee to much other than perhaps Melvin Forbes and Jim Brockman.
Yep. I would agree.
Old 07-12-2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:

Actually, I don't care anything about the scout "concept". I feel like I need a .308 bolt gun because my other one was stolen, and I have not one, but two, tons of ammo. I'm going to use a traditional rifle scope in the traditional position. I think the Tikka is very similar in a lot of ways. Both about the same length, weight, 70 degree bolt throw, European cold hammer forged barrels that last a lifetime, etc, etc.
If you are not interested in the scout concept, while I could be wrong I don't think you would enjoy the steyr scout as much as the Tikka.

Now having said that, nothing wrong with a low powered scope mounted in a traditional position on a scout rifle. the forward mount is a well known characteristic of the scout rifles, but in and of it's self does not a scout rifle make.

There are good reasons to forward mount a scope, and there are good reasons to go more "traditional" but low power. while Cooper was a HUGE fan of the forward mounted scope, nothing truly says to be a scout it can only use a forward mounted scope.

something to give some thought to...some of steyr's other rifle offerings. they are very affordable, have similar stock to the scout, similar magazine, hammer forged barrel etc, etc. just a thought.

another thought...
Quote:
..... I already have a lot of "ordinary" rifles. I'm looking something a little bit special. I've fondled a Tikka, and my friend has a Steyr Scout, which I hope he'll let me put hands on.
If you really want something "special"/different, give the Tikka T3xArctic a peek.

Last edited by 1859sharps; 07-12-2018 at 8:23 PM..
Old 07-12-2018, 8:23 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

^ More good advice.

Quote:
If I want to play Cooper fanboi...

You say that like it's a bad thing.

YUGE Cooper fanboy here. I may never be half the man he was. He and Theodore Roosevelt!

Old 07-12-2018, 9:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If you are not interested in the scout concept, while I could be wrong I don't think you would enjoy the steyr scout as much as the Tikka.

Now having said that, nothing wrong with a low powered scope mounted in a traditional position on a scout rifle. the forward mount is a well known characteristic of the scout rifles, but in and of it's self does not a scout rifle make.

There are good reasons to forward mount a scope, and there are good reasons to go more "traditional" but low power.
Steyr's own package setup is 3-10x. I see no reason for low power. I can't use the forward mount because I can't see **** with both eyes open. Need to use one eye through a scope.

Quote:
something to give some thought to...some of steyr's other rifle offerings. they are very affordable, have similar stock to the scout, similar magazine, hammer forged barrel etc, etc. just a thought.
The ones I've seen are longer and heavier than the Scout.

Quote:
another thought...

If you really want something "special"/different, give the Tikka T3xArctic a peek.
Does nothing for me. I'd just have to take the irons off. At least in the Scout they fold down into the rail.

Quote:
You say that like it's a bad thing.

YUGE Cooper fanboy here. I may never be half the man he was. He and Theodore Roosevelt!
My aforementioned friend is about as big a fanboi as it gets, so I've heard enough of it over the years. He's a certified Gunsite instructor and spent WAY too much time in Prescott in his formative years while he was going to school in Flagstaff. He got Cooper to sign his rifle, he didn't buy a pre-signed version in a store.
Old 07-13-2018, 7:45 AM

I'm about to buy a buddies Scout (he's going to get a threaded version because he wants to suppress, I'm arguing the damn barrel is too damn skinny for a muzzle weight to be hanging off it, also I want a truck gun where KISS has its place). Dead nuts accurate, he has a leupold 2.5-10x on it, mounted in the traditional fashion, not scout style and its a sweet sweet setup. Its a great all around rifle, very handy, slick action. 1/4lb tannerite targets at 350 yards stood no chance.

CTR will be heavier. Out of the box, I think Tikka blows Remington/Savage out of the water in terms of fit and finish.

Not sure what your use it for, but go STEYR!
Old 07-13-2018, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

My daughter is hoping Steyr will offer the Scout with a pink stock; doubtful they will, at least that's what they told me. Might have to ceracoat one��
Old 07-13-2018, 4:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You better hope they don't, they ain't cheap.
Old 07-13-2018, 4:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm well aware of such things.
Old 07-13-2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
the steyr's are not that "expensive"r. Buds carries them for under 1400. now some people may immediately says "but I can get a Rugger for half the cost and it's just as good". well yes and no.

first, cost. how many people buy the Ruger (or other option), then start "messing" with it, getting a different stock etc, etc. if you are not careful you just "bought" Steyr doing that. now, if it gets you what you WANT...more power to you, and money well spent. But when you do this...the other non Steyr options cease to be "cheaper". They Steyr, it's ready to go out of the box. the only thing to figure out is what scope and how many stock spacers you want to leave installed. oh and what shooting sling. But the rifle it's self, ready to go out of the box.

as far as just as good...well that all depends on what is behind "just as good" in your mind. reliable and goes bang, while providing acceptable accuracy...probably. But if you are talking about that (admittedly subjective) "friendliness factor cooper was after, possibly not. but it will be a subjective possibly not.

as to your comment about 3x9 scopes on a scout. Absolutely you can do this if you want to. it takes away from the rifle and your ability to execute a snap shot, which executing such a shot is part of why Cooper specified the features he did.

how important the snap shot is....I will leave you to gather the arguments and decide your self.

I know this thread took a "scout rifle" turn, but these are still topics/factors/points on topic if one is considering if they want to invest in a scout rifle such as the Steyr so they understand what they are getting, and why if you just plan on shooting off a bench you may not enjoy the rifle.

Last edited by 1859sharps; 07-13-2018 at 4:40 PM..
Old 07-13-2018, 11:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

FWIW
I own a Steyr Scout . I've taken pigs in California as well as plains game in Africa. It is very accurate, lightweight and handy. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
Old 07-14-2018, 1:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
the steyr's are not that "expensive"r. Buds carries them for under 1400. now some people may immediately says "but I can get a Rugger for half the cost and it's just as good". well yes and no.

first, cost. how many people buy the Ruger (or other option), then start "messing" with it, getting a different stock etc, etc. if you are not careful you just "bought" Steyr doing that. now, if it gets you what you WANT...more power to you, and money well spent. But when you do this...the other non Steyr options cease to be "cheaper". They Steyr, it's ready to go out of the box. the only thing to figure out is what scope and how many stock spacers you want to leave installed. oh and what shooting sling. But the rifle it's self, ready to go out of the box.

as far as just as good...well that all depends on what is behind "just as good" in your mind. reliable and goes bang, while providing acceptable accuracy...probably. But if you are talking about that (admittedly subjective) "friendliness factor cooper was after, possibly not. but it will be a subjective possibly not.
If I didn't think a Steyr Scout was worth the money, I wouldn't have asked about it in the OP. I started this thread. Buying one for a daughter would be a little tougher.

Quote:
as to your comment about 3x9 scopes on a scout. Absolutely you can do this if you want to. it takes away from the rifle and your ability to execute a snap shot, which executing such a shot is part of why Cooper specified the features he did.

how important the snap shot is....I will leave you to gather the arguments and decide your self.

I know this thread took a "scout rifle" turn, but these are still topics/factors/points on topic if one is considering if they want to invest in a scout rifle such as the Steyr so they understand what they are getting, and why if you just plan on shooting off a bench you may not enjoy the rifle.
I don't plan on any snap shots, so I'm not worried about the scope. 99% of the hunting world doesn't have a forward scope and they seemed to have survived it. And if I just planned on shooting off a bench I'd get a bench gun, not a Scout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
FWIW
I own a Steyr Scout . I've taken pigs in California as well as plains game in Africa. It is very accurate, lightweight and handy. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
What cartridge?

Any pics of dead critters? Besides the one in your avatar, that is.
Old 07-14-2018, 6:31 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

All Steyr Scouts are a 19" barrel .308.

There was briefly produced a "376" Steyr Scout using a modified 375 Holland cartridge (for the shorter action, I presume) and for which Hornady briefly produced a commercial load for, but the chambering was short-lived from lack of sales.

I'd like to see you acquire a Steyr Scout. I am reminded of what a truly unique and wonderful rifle it is. I will own one one day but financially the goal sits behind landscaping, a roof and then new windows for our domicile here...

Last edited by 200Apples; 07-14-2018 at 6:34 AM..
Old 07-14-2018, 12:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The new Scouts that are threaded for the U.S. market have a 22" barrel.

I don't normally go around buying $1400 rifles, but I had some luck on the last 2 days of this year's WSOP.
Old 07-14-2018, 1:15 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:
Blasphemy!

Although less "handy", 22" will allow the .308 perhaps greater efficiency although I've read of some folks using BL-C2 to good effect with .308 in shorter barrels... so there's that.

How do you feel about it.

-And- "What would splitho0f say?"

Last edited by 200Apples; 07-14-2018 at 1:17 PM..
Old 07-14-2018, 2:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

-And- "What would splitho0f say?"
If given the opportunity for another conversation with the folks from Steyr, my first question would be: "WHY?"
A 22" barrel on a Scout Rifle misses the barn by miles. It quickly becomes obvious in many ways, one of which for me has to do with carrying the rifles in vertical vehicle racks, another when moving through heavy brush, and yet another when removing the rifle from, or replacing back into the scabbard on my horse.
I don't care too much about .308 ballistics; everything I use in that caliber is based on field practicality.
Old 07-14-2018, 4:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Blasphemy!

Although less "handy", 22" will allow the .308 perhaps greater efficiency although I've read of some folks using BL-C2 to good effect with .308 in shorter barrels... so there's that.

How do you feel about it.
Meh, if it were up to me it would have a 16" barrel.

The Tikka has a 20" barrel. The Euro Steyr version is 19" with Euro thread. There used to be a thread adapter made, but I don't know if it's still available.
Old 07-14-2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:

I don't normally go around buying $1400 rifles, but I had some luck on the last 2 days of this year's WSOP.

Steyr does offer a 22 inch non fluted barrel scout. Now if they offered it in .243, it would be correct. They offer it in 308...so this is a deviation from what Cooper wanted for a rifle built to the specs of his concept. you are free of course to decide for your self if it matters. The threading on these rifles is listed as 5/8x24

The standard 19" scout is still around. It has been coming with a threaded barrel for a couple years now I believe. the thread pitch is listed as 1/2x20

It also looks like they have started offering a white stock this year. My personal preference is the black or green stocks, but that is just me.
Old 07-14-2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
I am not sure anything is gained by the 16" barrel. this is done mostly because the manufacture can't find ways to make weight. suspect this may be more liability concerns than technical know how.

19/20 inch is an optimal length for the 308. and it makes for a handy, balanced rifle if the overall package is built with this in mind.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just want a general purpose .308. I used to have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight (got stolen) so I want something with similar characteristics, only better.

The T3x Lite has a very thin barrel, which according to some on teh intarwebs, makes it not feasible to be threaded. A silencer needs a good enough shoulder to sit absolutely parallel to the bore to avoid baffle strikes, and that requires a certain amount of metal. However, I've heard a dissenting opinion, so maybe it's not an issue.

The CTR and the Steyr Scout come already threaded.
OP, I too, have a Win70 Featherweight in .308, which is what I ended up with in my (still ongoing) search for the "One Rifle to Rule Them All."

I briefly considered the Steyr (as well as making very serious overtures to acquire some of the other "scout-like" rifles such as the Ruger GSR, Mossberg MVP, Savage Model 11, and even an older Remington 600, which I believe was actually mentioned in the original search for a "Scout."

I didn't truly like any of the non-Steyr scouts, and I'm an avowed gun nut that pretty much likes anything that goes bang, but all of those rifles just had a....."clunky" feeling to them that I just couldn't put a finger on. I know the Ruger wears the mantle of "Gunsite" on it, and is, based on its robust sales, a very fine rifle in it's own right, but it just didn't feel right to me.

My biggest objection on most of the scouts is their god-awful protruding magazines. The Savage and even the Mossbergs had a relatively svelte magazine profile, but the Ruger's 10-rounder seemed to stick out as much as an M-14's 20-rounder! On a bolt-action rifle, particularly on billed as a "scout", which implies quick handling and maneuverability is at a premium, a large, protruding magazine seems anathema. It seems like a competitive swimmer going for records and medals while wearing those large, heavy, billowy swimsuits from the 1890s or something.

The Steyr was just a bit out of my price range, but when I add up the cost of the Win70 plus the glass I put on it, it's fairly close to what the Steyr would be.

Alas, I might wind up with a Steyr anyway!
Old 07-27-2018, 1:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Unless they changed since I got mine, the Featherweight barrel is way too skinny to thread. I also didn't like the 90 degree bolt throw. As much as I tried to remember, I whacked my hand on the scope every time.

But, and don't get me wrong because I liked my Featherweight a lot, next to a Tikka the Featherweight is crude. Of course, the Tikka doesn't have the same wood as the Featherweight.
Old 07-27-2018, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
OK, now you're talking about a Ruger Scout, since it's about the only one with a 16" bbl that is threaded.

Mine is consistently sub MOA with American Eagle or my Reloads and has been thruout it's life. It is #159 of the first production run.

I have ran a Red Dot on the gun as well as a 3-9X Leupold VX-R. They both run on an XS Full Length Rail. No scout mount for the scope, and I run the Red Dot just in front of the action. There is an XS style Peep on the back of the rail for backup in a pinch.

Smith Enterprises MB in place of the flash hider they come with. I have 3,5, and 10 round mags Polymers are best and I use the 5's mostly as they don't stick way out like the 10's do. 3 round is for hunting. When shooting off hand like in a Silhouette Match the ten round mags are a decent palm rest. I don't care for the metal mags at all they aren't nearly as smooth feeding as the polymer mags.

The bipod fore end on the Steyr reminds me of the Kel-Tec SU 16's stock which is useless since you don't really need a bipod on a carbine in the first place.

The Tikka Artic is cool but they are not giving them away and if you can find one (which you don't want anyway) They are $1800+

A Ruger Scout is less than half that and you can get a Synthetic Stock (Lighter)or Laminated. Mine was $750.

You should really have a serious look at that gun as it is exactly what you are asking for.

I ran a thread for several years on the GSR over at Castboolits, and sold over 100 of these guns thru that thread with no complaints. Ruger gave me a Ruger Guide Gun for my participation.

Incidentally, that "alive feeling" you are talking about is a direct product of weight, overall length, and fit, and it starts showing up at about 7 lbs and below ready to fire, and an OAL of about 36-38".

Unfortunately there is a price to pay on the back end of a light gun in a .30 caliber, and that's why you don't see Forbes Rifles in .300 Win Mag. 30 lbs of recoil in a 6 lb gun would knock the snot out of just about anyone, the .308 has less than half that but still would be "Brisk". The Ruger is pleasant to shoot and I can rip off 50 rounds in an hour easily and not feel bad after..

My Kel-Tec SU16 (with M4 Fore End) weighs exactly 6 lbs 1 oz with two loaded 10 round mags in the butt stock. It is the most 'Alive Feeling"and quickest handling rifle I own. Next is my SCR which is 6 lbs 14 oz and because of it's Rem 1100 heritage for the rear half, it handles really well. Obviously neither of these guns have any noticeable recoil as they are.223's.

Hope this helps a little.

See pics:

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-18-2018 at 10:14 AM..
Old 07-27-2018, 8:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Nobody mentioned alive except you, so I don't know what that's about.

And like I've mentioned several times, I used to have a Model 70 Featherweight, so .308 recoil I've felt before.