Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 10-18-2020, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Default Hunting with semi auto, legal?

I'm looking to get into hunting. Got my safety cert. Now I'm trying to see if I need to buy a new gun just for hunting, or if I can use one of my guns. I never really got a clear answer on this.

I have an SKS, and a Howa 308, but the Howa is more like a bench gun to me. I was eyeing the CZ 7.62x39 or the Howa 7.62x39 mini action as alternatives. But if I can use my sks, that's what I'll use.
Old 10-18-2020, 8:25 AM
Maskless
CGN Contributor

Location: More than 6’ from you. And guaranteed to be standing by my comments about fear mongering dickheads.

What are you hunting? Can you find non lead 762x39?
Old 10-18-2020, 8:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Lead free 7.62x39 (which you need for hunting in CA) is stupid expensive and very hard to find. But a few boxes should last you a few years. It’s also not the best hunting round by far.

But yes, you can hunt with a semi.
Old 10-18-2020, 9:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Your Howa will likely make a better hunting rifle than your semi autos. Legality isn't the issue. Efficacy, ammo, accuracy are.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Old 10-18-2020, 9:10 AM

The .308 will kill deer, pronghorn, coyotes and hogs. If it was me, I'd use something with a bit more punch on elk but for most game, a .308 is just fine and there's plenty of ammo and components available for that caliber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Lead free 7.62x39 (which you need for hunting in CA) is stupid expensive and very hard to find. ... It’s also not the best hunting round by far.
IMHO it's too slow for anything except perhaps coyotes at shorter distances.
Old 10-18-2020, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

Crap. Lead free hunting bullets were a new thing only a few years back right?
Old 10-18-2020, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
Crap. Lead free hunting bullets were a new thing only a few years back right?
Went into effect July 1, 2019.
Old 10-18-2020, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

I vaguely remember that now. Well, back to the drawing board.
Old 10-18-2020, 9:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Was phased in over several years now all game and non game birds and mammals in state require non lead approved ammo/ projectiles. Unless taken by archery or airgun.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:17 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I use an AKM to hunt deer and pigs in California all the time. I prefer the 5 round mag I have for it, so it doesn't dig in to my back when slung.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:21 AM
Maskless
CGN Contributor

Location: More than 6’ from you. And guaranteed to be standing by my comments about fear mongering dickheads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
I vaguely remember that now. Well, back to the drawing board.
Na, just use the .308 for the reasons others above have mentioned.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:54 AM

The SKS has been used as a deer rifle in the US since its first importation. Lead-free ammo is about $2/rd or you can roll your own.

I'd keep my shots at under 200-yds.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:20 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Seriously OP, if you can throw together a few hundred bucks for a Ruger American or something like that in .308 you'll have all the hunting rifle that you're ever likely to need in this country. I'm a bit of a gun snob, but even I cannot deny the value and accuracy of that rifle... my hunting buddy has one and dang is he ever good with it.

.308 is superior to the 7.62 x 39 in every conceivable way for hunting purposes.

Keep us posted! Welcome to the hunting world, it is truly a wonderful way to spend time.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Seriously OP, if you can throw together a few hundred bucks for a Ruger American or something like that in .308 you'll have all the hunting rifle that you're ever likely to need in this country. I'm a bit of a gun snob, but even I cannot deny the value and accuracy of that rifle... my hunting buddy has one and dang is he ever good with it.

.308 is superior to the 7.62 x 39 in every conceivable way for hunting purposes.

Keep us posted! Welcome to the hunting world, it is truly a wonderful way to spend time.
There's a lot of truth to that. I've taken all my big game, except for 1 with either a ruger american or savage axis xp. I've only been hunting for 5 years so it's a small sample, but 4 antelope, 3 mule deer and an elk all died at the end a "cheap" rifle.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:29 PM

If you hunt with your SKS, make sure u don't have a bayonet attached. From what i remember or heard, you can't have it attached if hunting. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimid8tor View Post
There's a lot of truth to that. I've taken all my big game, except for 1 with either a ruger american or savage axis xp. I've only been hunting for 5 years so it's a small sample, but 4 antelope, 3 mule deer and an elk all died at the end a "cheap" rifle.

I think the Savage Axis series are the most underrated “cheap” bolt gun currently in production. The trigger is heavy at about 8 or 9 pounds, which can easily be remedied with a $20 aftermarket spring that will bring it down to about 3 pounds.

The one deer that I’ve shot died just fine at the end of my 30-06 Axis.

Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
--- Dan Bongino
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.
Old 10-19-2020, 6:34 AM

I have a Ruger American in 30-06 that is a great gun. It is light, cheap and accurate. At the range, it can consistently shoot 400 yards. In the field, it shoots well and isn't super heavy to carry around.
Old 10-19-2020, 7:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpublic View Post
If you hunt with your SKS, make sure u don't have a bayonet attached. From what i remember or heard, you can't have it attached if hunting. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
There is nothing listed in the "general regulations" or "methods authorized for taking big game" mentions a prohibition on bayonets.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 10-19-2020, 7:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorRichRichard View Post
I think the Savage Axis series are the most underrated “cheap” bolt gun currently in production. The trigger is heavy at about 8 or 9 pounds, which can easily be remedied with a $20 aftermarket spring that will bring it down to about 3 pounds.

We are blessed with good shooting affordable rifles right now. Savage or ruger well under $500 that'll shoot moa all day long. And, when you ding them up it doesn't matter. My son tried to lay claim to my 6.5 ruger so I bought a tika which I'll use as a base for a 280 AI I think.

Old 10-19-2020, 8:09 AM

Your hunting rifle will get dinged up, at least mine has over the years. Depending on where and what you hunt will determine the caliber and rifle.

IF you hunt in wet conditions get a rifle with a synthetic stock.
Depending on game you need a .223 or a .30 caliber rifle, (.308, .30-06).

For an inexpensive hunting rifle consider a Savage. I like mine, and it shoots true.

you can get one with a scope for under $400.
Old 10-19-2020, 8:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
Na, just use the .308 for the reasons others above have mentioned.
It's a bit heavy with a 24" heavy barrel. It's more akin to a pretty bench gun to me with its chassis and optic. It's about 12 lbs. I can carry it without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
The SKS has been used as a deer rifle in the US since its first importation. Lead-free ammo is about $2/rd or you can roll your own.

I'd keep my shots at under 200-yds.
$2/rd is steep! Damn laws. It would've been nice to take shots with it at 200 yards and cheap steel case soft points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post

I know .308 is superior, but it would mean a new gun. I don't mind that thought at all. I just felt the SKS would've been the perfect beater gun as it was cheap, shoots a decent round, and wouldn't cost me anymore than a hundred bucks to deck it out a bit. And if I beat it up some more, I wouldn't care too much. But the ammo cost changes the game a bit.

Quote:

I'll take a look at those 2. Trying to stay in a common caliber that I already have. Even though I can only use non-lead ammo anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpublic View Post
That isn't the case thankfully. Though taking it off would save some weight anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorRichRichard View Post

I remember that gun being $300 or so during Turner's seasonal sale. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerestraint View Post
I have a Ruger American in 30-06 that is a great gun. It is light, cheap and accurate. At the range, it can consistently shoot 400 yards. In the field, it shoots well and isn't super heavy to carry around.
I'm looking at 300 yards max. That's the distance I'm most comfortable with in taking a clean shot with my guns, ammo, and skill. Now if I were to shoot just to hit it, I'd be comfortable to 600, of course that isn't the right thing.

Quote:
We are blessed with good shooting affordable rifles right now. Savage or ruger well under $500 that'll shoot moa all day long. And, when you ding them up it doesn't matter. My son tried to lay claim to my 6.5 ruger so I bought a tika which I'll use as a base for a 280 AI I think.

I'll be keeping eyes out for deals. If I can get one all in for sub 500, I'll likely get it.
Old 10-19-2020, 9:12 AM
CGSSA Associate

I'd buy used and jump to a 270 or 7mm mag to stretch your range and game available.
Old 10-19-2020, 9:46 AM

Don't forget semi auto hunting is limited to 5 round mags in Cali.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsotericEpsilon View Post
Don't forget semi auto hunting is limited to 5 round mags in Cali.
This is not true. Semi auto rifles can use any magazine capacity as long it's in a legally configured rifle, and the magazine was legally acquired.

Hunt with a 100 round drum if you want.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAD PEZZLE View Post
This is not true. Semi auto rifles can use any magazine capacity as long it's in a legally configured rifle, and the magazine was legally acquired.

Hunt with a 100 round drum if you want.
Does this limit exist for bolt action or lever guns? Curious.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No limit for rifles and handguns 3 shell limit fir shotgun. FUD from esoteric.
Old 10-19-2020, 1:45 PM

I stand corrected. Thanks for looking out.
I was going off an old thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
-Lead free only in "condor areas" and state game refuges. After July 1, 2019 it's lead free statewide.

-You can hunt with a 100 round beta mag in a semi auto until Dec 31, 2016. ("Why" though anyone would "hunt" with a magazine that held more than 5 rounds, is beyond me). After that, nothing bigger than a 10-round magazine.
https://calguns.net/calgunforum/show...7#post18786257
Old 10-20-2020, 6:14 AM

I have a friend that to my knowledge has never hunted in his life. He told me one day several years ago that he was helping a friend of his give a hunter safety class. He also told me that he told them that you could have no more than 5 rounds in your magazine while hunting. I challenged him to show me in the fish and game code any such law and of course he could not as it was not there. I took hunter safety around 60 years ago. The instructor was the editor of the local paper, the Solano Republican. It was just the two of us.