Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2020, 7:14 AM
Ball Pimp 4 Border Collie
CGN Contributor

Default AW laws and a AR15 22 LR dedicated upper

I have an AR15 dedicated upper. There is no possibility of chambering a 223 cartridge into the chamber. I should know the answer to this question but I just want to make sure I haven't missed any slight modifications to the AW laws.

Does my AR15 dedicated 22LR need a non collapsing stock, muzzle brake, and featureless grip?

Am I good to go with a regular mag release even if the gun is not featureless?

Just want to make sure before I go to the range with this to teach my daughter to shoot.
Old 10-18-2020, 7:32 AM
Calguns Addict

I’m not a lawyer. Assault weapon restrictions apply to center fire rifles, which a rimfire is not. Just have to make sure you have a 16” barrel or pin/welded faux suppressor, muzzle brake, flash suppressor, ... and have the overall length be 26” (?).

I would not recommend having a 223/556 upper nearby. Not sure if there are any laws about that but I’d play it safe.

Have fun!
Old 10-18-2020, 8:17 AM

rimfire is exempt. Your rifle is legal have fun. I shoot mine all the time without issue.
Old 10-18-2020, 8:48 AM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets&Whitewalls View Post
rimfire is exempt. Your rifle is legal have fun. I shoot mine all the time without issue.
If we’re being specific in terms, it’s not that rimfire is exempt, it’s that rimfire rifles don’t have a subsection in CA PC 30515(a), so they’re simply not part of the ban. Note that rimfire pistols are, in general, part of the ban except for those that fall under the Olympic target pistols exemption like the Benelli MP90.

But either way, yes, a dedicated .22lr AR-15 rifle is good to go. I have one and they’re a lot of fun.
Old 10-18-2020, 8:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I removed the buffer and buffer spring on mine so it can't shoot a centerfire upper. You can't be too careful in anti-gun California.

Yes, it has a pistol grip and adjustable stock.
Old 10-18-2020, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
If we’re being specific in terms, it’s not that rimfire is exempt, it’s that rimfire rifles don’t have a subsection in CA PC 30515(a), so they’re simply not part of the ban. Note that rimfire pistols are, in general, part of the ban except for those that fall under the Olympic target pistols exemption like the Benelli MP90.

But either way, yes, a dedicated .22lr AR-15 rifle is good to go. I have one and they’re a lot of fun.
Very good point!
Old 10-18-2020, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post

^^^IMPORTANT POINT HERE^^^^

A lot of folks miss the point that rimfire RIFLES are exempt from the AW statute and the rimfire PISTOLS are not exempt (refer to PC 30515) unless listed under the Olympic exemption.

It's also important to note that a rimfire rifle built on an "Evil by Name" lower is subject to the Assault Weapon statute (Refer to PC 30510).
Old 10-18-2020, 10:11 AM
Ball Pimp 4 Border Collie
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the info. Mine is in an A2 carbine configuration except for the collapsible stock. I prefer the A2 stock. I’m not sure if I changed it out or it came that way.

It has a modified CMMG/ciener looking bolt and buffer set up except it slips over the barrel extension, not into a 223 chamber.