Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-09-2020, 2:15 PM

Default fake vortex viper?

Hey guys, a bunch of friends and I decided to hold a little rifle building competition for mid to short range on an agreed budget. I bought a Vortex Spitfire 3X and bought a Vortex Viper to pair it with the Spitfire. However when I got the red dot today a lot of things seemed off about it. Seller described it as some kind of non-retail kit from Vortex which raised the red flag. The cover doesn't have any logo markings on it and when I compare it to a picture of a Viper from Vortex there are a lot of subtle differences. I'm aware Vortex has moved around some of the markings and such but i'm really suspicious about the optic. I've contacted Vortex directly about this and i'm waiting to hear back from them but figured i'd also ask here. I'm not going to cry over a $200 optic but i'd like to know if its fake to get this ebay seller off the market.

I've posted some pictures below.

Old 10-09-2020, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Lightbulb

They don't have a mfg.'s page here, but they do in other places. You might wanna post there, and see what response they give you.
Old 10-09-2020, 7:29 PM

Sounds very familiar,
I encountered it ones on EBay with Zeis scope, they claimed it was not US model made for Europe.
I just called Zeis with the model number and pictures, and Zeis confirmed it was fake and counterfeit.
Gotta be the same seller.
Old 10-09-2020, 8:16 PM

It looks very fake, however it could be real? As far as the seller goes, if he gets taken down, he’ll just reboot with a new name, or transfer to his other 10+ pages he uses to rip people off. Vortex is well known for their help, so maybe they will try to help. Idk.
Old 10-09-2020, 8:37 PM

Scan the barcode on the box. Would be intrested what it is. Tagged for when I return to work. I'm off for 2 weeks.
Old 10-10-2020, 8:18 AM

BTW, if you bought in off ebay, don't forget about EBay money back guarantee, you can return an item with no questions ask even if the seller does not agree to take it back

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 10-10-2020 at 8:48 AM..
Old 10-15-2020, 1:32 PM

Turns out it was a fake. They decided to keep it for their legal team and send me a new one. Their customer service is impeccable and I will continue to buy Vortex products.
Old 10-18-2020, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireWire87 View Post
Turns out it was a fake. They decided to keep it for their legal team and send me a new one. Their customer service is impeccable and I will continue to buy Vortex products.
Wow that's awesome man. Great CS.

LEO Veteran
Military Veteran

Old 10-18-2020, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
Wow that's awesome man. Great CS.
That is amazing.

For the companies that offer lifetime warranties (think there are a few), does it transfer to subsequent owners?
Old 10-18-2020, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireWire87 View Post
I have heard of Vortex customer service being top notch. This is next level, they literally gave you an entirely free optic. Very cool. I recently got a Strike Eagle 1-6x because the 1-8 was out of stock. I called and asked Vortex if they would take mine and I could pay the difference for the Strike Eagle 1-8, they said they donít have that kind of program. Understandable, but I honestly thought they would just do it for me. No worries tho, Iíll just save the few extra bucks and try to run this one the best I can. I am legally blind and have astigmatism. So finding the right optics isnít easy on a budget. Iím glad they took care of you! I pray we can hear about some sweet justice/karma on the part of the ebay seller. Improbable, but not impossible.
Old 10-21-2020, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracite View Post
That is amazing.

For the companies that offer lifetime warranties (think there are a few), does it transfer to subsequent owners?

Vortex is no questions asked as is Swaro and Leopold with their lifetime guarantees. Those are the ones I have dealt with. All great to deal with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2020, 8:44 PM

Wow, I don’t hear many positive CS stories these days, so this is a nice change.