Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2019, 2:33 PM

Default Intrafamiliar transfer and name question

I was helping a friend fill out his form 4544A for an intrafamilial transfer.
He put in his full middle name.

Except his CDL only has a middle initial.

He wants to just submit as is but knowing how the CA DOJ can be, I thought I'd ask on the boards for advice.

Should he just submit it and be done with it? (it won't matter)
or get his CDL name corrected (brave the lines, wait for the replacement).

If the latter, the only concern I can think of is how long it would take (greater than 30 days).
Old 09-07-2019, 3:07 PM

Enter his name as shown on his CDL, just the middle initial.

Also he is receiving it from either a grandparent, parent or child correct?

I recommend doing it online via CFARS and a copy of the CDL is required when the application is submitted. A valid FSC is required also.
Old 09-07-2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0rkus View Post
Also he is receiving it from either a grandparent, parent or child correct?

I recommend doing it online via CFARS and a copy of the CDL is required when the application is submitted. A valid FSC is required also.
Yes, grandparent and he has a FSC.
Old 09-08-2019, 5:57 AM
retired Goon

Note that a copy of the person's valid CA DL/ID is now required when submitting a Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Firearm Transaction (BOF 4544A. Rev.05-2019).

If the person does not have a REAL ID compliant CA DL/ID, then additional documents are required.

A copy of your California driver license or identification card.

■ If your California driver license or identification card has “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” on the front, you shall also
submit proof of lawful presence in the United States, in the form of one of the following documents:
(1) Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.
(2) Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate.
(3) Certification of Birth Abroad (FS-545), Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350) or Consular Report of Birth
Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (FS-240), issued by the U.S. Department of State.
(4) Valid, unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. immigrant visa and approved Record of Arrival/Departure (I-94)
form.
(5) Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. Territory.
(6) Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Citizenship.
(7) Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card.

■ If your name, as it appears on the “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” California driver license or identification card, differs
from the name on the document(s) above, you shall also submit one of the following certified documents:
(1) An adoption document that contains your legal name as a result of the adoption.
(2) A name change document that contains your legal name both before and, as a result of, the name change.
(3) A marriage certificate.
(4) A dissolution of marriage document that contains your legal name as a result of the court action.
(5) A certificate, declaration or registration document verifying the formation of a domestic partnership.
(6) A dissolution of domestic partnership document that contains your legal name as a result of the court action

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-08-2019, 8:07 AM

One good reason to submit it exactly like his DL is if he doesn't, future ammo BG checks might fail.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
■ If your California driver license or identification card has “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” on the front, you shall also
submit proof of lawful presence in the United States, in the form of one of the following documents:
Thanks for the info. His license was issued before FLA existed so per instructions, additional documents would not be needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by one*eyed*jack View Post
One good reason to submit it exactly like his DL is if he doesn't, future ammo BG checks might fail.
Excellent point.

Last edited by Park1423; 09-08-2019 at 8:22 PM..